f i v e

Cheating Hearts

“They said that behind every mans’ sigh is a woman inside his head.” Dongha snorted as he faces his dorm-mate Suho infront of him, drinking his usual bubble tea. “So, who’s the lucky girl?”

“Shut up.” Donghae said, making Suho laugh. Donghae trows the cracker he’s been eating awhile ago. “What are you doing here, Mr. Nerd?”

“I’ve been watching you since yesterday and my conclusion is right, you’re thinking of a woman right now.”It has been scientifically proven that women takes 15 days to fall in love while men just 8.2 seconds.”

“What’s your point now, nerdy boy?” Donghae said. He’s afraid of the conclusions from this nerdy boy room-mate of him. Suho states, well most of the time, about facts. And now, he’s starting it. He’s afraid of it.

“Men are a believer of love at first sight.” Suho said while chuckling. “And as my observation is screaming, you’re definitely in-love my friend.”

“In-love my .” Donghae mumbled. “Will you please stop stating facts on me? Why don’t you go to your room and study? That’s what nerdy boys do.”

“Who’s the last person whom you stares, intently, at?” Suho asked, not minding Donghaes’ dismissal tone awhile ago.

With that, Donghae felt the sudden fast beating of his heart as he remembers the smile on Sandaras’ face. Damn it! He cursed himself. He wanted to flip the table in-front of him. What he felt is not right, definitely and hell yeah, not right.

‘So, it is confirmed now. Thank you for being honest Lee Donghae.”

“What the ?! I. Am. Not. In. Love. With. Her.”

“You’re in-love, you.” Suho said, while laughing. “Tell me, who’s the lucky girl?”

Donghae looked away. He doesn’t know if Suho already met Sandara or what. And he wouldn’t take a risk of mentioning her name. Not to the only person who knew them, Jiyong and him, personally.

“She’s… she’s already taken.” He mumbled, yet Suho heard it.

“So you’re in-love with someone who’s already committed. Wooo, that’s something unusual from you Donghae.” Suho thought. “Does she feel something for you?”

Donghae sighed and shook his head. “She’s in-love with her boyfriend.”

“Sorry bro.” Suho said.

“But her boy-friend is cheating on her.”

“ that boy-friend of hers.”

Donghae chuckled. If Suho only knew that that guy is their friend Jiyong. “And I am not in-love with her…”

“Yet. Not in-love with her, yet.” Suho said. “She’s maybe special because you’re thinking about her.”

“She is.” Donghae agreed. “She’s very beautiful and funny to be with. I love her guts, her innocence and verything about her. Her hair, her face, her toe nails. Just… just everything that composes her.”

“Then, you’re in-love with her.” Suho again, insisted.

“, I said—“

“Denial king.” Suho said, while getting up. He fixes his messy hair and his glasses. “I have to go. Will have a good-morning with my girlfriend.”

“You have one?” Donghae said, surprised. But not surprised knowing that he has a girlfriend but on the fact that he’ll be having a good-morning ! “! You have a buddy?!”

“Nerdy boys attracts good girls.” Suho said while smirking. “And she’s not my buddy, but my girlfriend.”

Donghae was left there, a little bit dumbfounded.  Nerdy Suho has a girlfriend… what the heck?!

 

***

 

Donghae was left on their dorm alone. He doesn’t like to go to school earlier today so he decided to stay. Sandaras’ schedule is same as him and their class is still on 10AM. And now that he’s been thinking of Sandara, he can’t help it but sighed. He doesn’t want to fall in-love with his best-friends girlfriend. Nobody does like that feeling.

His thoughts were disturbed as he heard a sudden blag on their dorms’ door. At first, he thought that it was Suho but knowing that he’s having a good-morning with his girlfriend he felt a bit anxious. Who would open their dorm at this early morning?

He was about to get-up when their rooms’ door opened and saw Jiyong entered to it. But he’s not alone because he entered their room while kissing a girl, and she’s none other than Kiko. He smirked as he saw how Jiyong give kisses on Kikos’ neck, then his other hand on her skirt. ing !

“A-ahh, Ji-Jiyong…” Kiko moaned, making Donghae laugh.

“What the ! Lee Donghae?!” Jiyong protested, but he’s laughing. “Why you’re still here?”

Donghae eyed the two- deep inside of him he wanted to punch Jiyongs’ face. Jerk! “My class is still 10AM. Oh, I thought you two were still on the convention?”

Kiko looked away as she saw how Donghae smirked at her. She manages to arrange her messy hair and her skirt. Of all people, Lee Donghae saw how they make-out.

“Early dismissal.” Jiyong simply answered. He looked at Kiko and smiled at her. “Stay at the living room. I’ll just talk to Donghae.”

“Okay.” Kiko simply said, and move immediately, as fast as she can. She’s embarrassed and she hated it.

“How’s Dara?” Jiyong said as he removes his shirt. “I miss her so bad.”

Donghae smirked as he watches Jiyong changes his clothes. “She’s good but she misses you.” Donghae said and he can’t help it but mock at his own best-friend. “I thought you won’t miss her knowing that someone is entertaining you.”

Jiyong stiffened and sighed. He knew Donghae better and he knew that he’s not amused to his doings lately. They’ve been friends and both of them knew each other. And Donghae uses that tone. “I miss Sandara.”

“What’s the score between you and Kiko?” Donghae said. He arranges his bed and his messy hair. “What’s the score between you and Dara?”

“We… I…”

“Sandara isn’t you flavor of the month right?” Donghae asked, in gritted teeth. He’s hoping that he’ll answer yes because if he says something that isn’t pleasing to his ears, he’ll definitely punch his won best-friend.

“I love her.”

“Yet you love Kiko.” Donghae said. It wasn’t a form of a question but a statement.

Jiyong looked away. “I love Sandara. She’s a kind of girl every man wants to bring home.”

“And Kiko is your bed warmer.”

“I love her too. She’s… she’s the only constant buddy I have.” Jiyong said then sighed. “She’s the only girl who can give me the needs that I want that Sandara cannot give.”

“ buddy? Friends with benefits?” Donghae said, with a mocking tone. “If you really love Sandara, you should respect her and wait for her to be ready.”

“I just… you know what I’ve been through when she’s away Donghae.”

“Are you… are your planning on having a break-up with Sandara?” Donghae asked. A part of him is pleading that he’ll say yes. That Jiyong will confirm that he’s into it. Yet picture of his Sandara, crying and miserable, is unbearable in his eyes.

“I-I really don’t know.” Jiyong said. “If I’ll choose one of them, I-I cannot possible choose.”

“You’re a jerk Jiyong. An .”

“Yeah, and that’s your best-friend.”

“Just a piece of a , karma is looking at you- to Kiko and you. And I’ll just choose to close my eyes Jiyong, as of now, but when time comes and when I saw Dara cried because of you, I’ll definitely choose to protect her over our friendship.”

Jiyong smiled upon hearing his best-friends words. He’s a true friend, indeed. “Please protect her Donghae, especially when I’m getting to the point of hurting her like hell.”

Donghae smiled. “I will.” And I am doing it right now.

 

 

***

 

 

It’s been a week since Sandara last saw Jiyong. And to be more specific, she hasn’t seen him for 8 days and 4 hours- and well, still counting. They do facetime and even Skype if he’s not busy but she still misses him. The thought that they’ll be away for 6 more days is quite depressing in her part. Now that they’re together, in the same country and in the same school, she wanted to have a lot of time with each other. But knowing how busy Jiyong was, she can’t help it but accept it. When she came back, this is the new Jiyong everyone knew.

Sandara sighed heavily as she silently walks towards her next class which is luckily, the only class where Donghae is her classmate. And from the thought of Donghae alone, she can’t help it but smile. Donghae has been her constant companion for a week and she’s lucky to have him on her side. Donghae is true to his words- he makes sure that she’s eating on time, he’s always on her front-door every morning and he makes sure that she’s safe when they got home. He even went inside one time just to check that no ones there.

As soon as Sandara entered the crowded room, her eyes immediately fixed on Donghaes’ place who’s now slouching on his chair while listening to a song. He was even mumbling words and she find it really cute. She walks towards him and gently taps his shoulder for him to be informed that she’s there.

“Hey.” Donghae said. He gets his bag on the chair next to him so that Dara can sit in there.

“Hello Donghae.” Sandara greeted him. She put her bag on her arm chair and looked at Donghae.

Donghae was a bit uncomfortable as to the way Sandara looks at him. It felt like she’s not just staring at her face. It felt like she’s staring at his soul. And that made him uncomfortable. Now that his heart is beating so fast. For the past few days he’s with Dara, he felt uncomfortable with her around. And he wants to blame Jiyong for leaving her here- with him. “W-what?”

Sandara smiled. “I’m just wondering why you still got no girlfriend.”

Donghae sighed. “Simple, I don’t want complicated stuffs.”

“Why?”

“Girls are complicated.” Donghae simply said. But deep inside of him, he knew better. He can sense it because it’s his body and it concerns with his own feelings.

“So does boys.” Sandara said. “But you’re not gay, right?” she said, with her eyebrows arched.

Donghae suppress an exaggerated laugh. He cannot even imagine himself being a gay. He shook his head and stares at the innocent faced Sandara Park. “Heck, I’m not gay.”

Sandara is still eyeing him. She’s not convinced. “I’m not convinced Donghae.”

Donghae shook his head and smiled. He cupped Sandaras’ face. “I’m not gay, okay?” He then realizes that they’re just inches away and he can smell her musk. “I’m too handsome to be a gay.”

“W-whate-ever.” Sandara said, while stuttering. She cleared and looked away. She doesn’t know why she’s acting like a teen-ager. And what scares her is the fact that she’s sweating and her heart is beating so fast. Eottoke? Wh-what’s happening to me?

Their professor came and their attention were now diverted to the lecture. He’s saying about politics and how dirty the systems were- he even mock at their politicians and how dirty they play. How corrupt they are. And sad to say, some of the officials were like that- corrupt.

“Do you think our professor is an activist?” Sandara mumbled. “He’s acting like one.”

“Sir Min is a known political analyst and well, he’s an activist.” Donghae answered her question. “But he’s a good man.”

Sandara nods and stares at their professor as he spoke. “Now for your term paper, I want you to get a partner. The deadline of this paper will be on our finals. This will be your grade and I want you to take this seriously.” Their professor said, while eyeing them. “You have to conduct a study about any social issues.”

“Sir? But this is political science and not sociology.” One of their classmates spoke.

“The study you will conduct is related to social issue and you will relate them to political science. What is the governments concern? And what will be the governments action to stop these issues arising.” Mr. Min said. “Any further questions?” He asked and when no one dared to speak, he fixed his glasses and said. “See you in finals.”

 

***

 

“Now what will be our topic?” Sandara asked Donghae as they walk towards her dorm. Her class ended so does Donghaes’ class so as their daily routine, they’ll walk home together. They’ve been doing that since day 1 and their land-lady already knew Donghae.

“Social issues, eh?” Donghae said, while holding his T-square and Daras’ books. It was his sort-of ‘duty’ to bring Daras’ books even if she insists that she’ll bring them.

They entered Daras’ room and put their bags. “I’ll just change clothes.” Dara went to her bed and changed her clothes, leaving Donghae on her living room.

Donghae has been here for a countless of times already and he’s really familiar to the stuffs he’s seeing right now. But what ctaches most his attention, especially when he’s in her dorm, is Sandara and Jiyongs’ picture. He bet it was captured on their sixth grade. The two of them were smiling from ear-to-ear: Jiyong was embracing Sandara from her back and was kissing her cheeks. Both of them look like a happy couple and Donghae felt a pang of pain on his chest. He’s jealous, hell yeah, jealous!

Donghae doesn’t like that feeling and the fact that of all people, of all people, why he felt something like this for his best-friends girlfriend! This is wrong, he knew it, but he cannot stop it. Every time he’s with her, he felt like his world stops to spin and he’s definitely smitten over Dara.

“So, what will be our topic Donghae?” Sandara said, as she came to the living room with a glass of ice tea on her hand. “We should have a very interesting topic Donghae! I heard from other classes that Mr. Min give low grades so we should give him a mind blowing term paper! I don’t want to fail in any subjects, most especially in a minor subject.”

Donghae sat next to her as he drank the juice she offered. “What topic interest you most?”

“I don’t have an idea as of the moment, to be honest.” Sandara said. “I know everyone will have like teen-age pregnancy or human trafficking. I want something unique, you know.”

Donghae sighed and the TV. “I was actually been thinking about something like a perspective of a victim before, during and after the incident.” He said, making Sandara laugh. “Seriously, that’s what I’m thinking as of the moment so don’t laugh at me!”

Sandara was still laughing so hard that she cannot help herself from shedding a tear. “Seriously, Lee Donghae? You’re thinking of that kind of term paper? Really?”

“What? Isn’t it interesting?” Donghae said while laughing at his own joke. “I’ve been thinking of that since… I don’t know.”

“Geez!” Sandara squealed as he breathes in. She felt like her stomach ached. “Your sense of humor Donghae is really something!” Donghae rolled his eyes. He stands-up and drag Dara. “H-hey! Yaah!”

“We’ll go to the mall and let’s eat.” Donghae was still dragging Sandara yet the latter choose to laugh. “What?!” Donghae asked, a little bit irritated.

“You’re having a tantrums.”

“Whatever.”

“You look good when you’re having a tantrums Donghae.”

“Geez! Why am I even falling for you?” Donghae whispered, making sure that Sandara wouldn’t hear it.

“You’re saying something?” She asked.

Donghae shook his head. “Nothing.”

 

Both of them walk towards the mall, hand-in-hand, without even noticing it. For Sandara it felt like it was just a normal act- holding Donghaes’ hands felt normal and kind of giving her an electrifying spark inside of her. But for Donghae, it means everything for him. Holding Sandaras’ hands means everything- it felt right and perfect all at the same time.

“What do you want to eat?” Sandara asked.

“I want to eat doughnut.” Donghae mumbled, making Dara pinch his cheeks. “Hey, what are you doing?!”

“You’re so cute.” She said. They’re about to enter the stall where doughnut were being sold when Donghae suddenly stop her. “What?!” she asked, while suppressing a laugh.

“Do you still remember my question few moths ago?” Donghae asked, in a serious tone.

“Eh? What question to be specifically?”

“About cheating. About Kwon Jiyong, my best-friend and your boyfriend, cheating on you.”

“Eh?”

Donghae felt a shiver on his spine as he hold Sandaras’ shoulder. He’s been arguing to himself for a sec when she felt Sandaras’ light tap on his cheeks. “Donghae?”

Slowly, Donghae shifted Dara towards the person he’s been watching awhile ago. And right there, both of them saw how Jiyong kiss Kikos’ lips. Donghae grabs Daras’ phone and dialed his number. They saw how Jiyong stares at his phone while its still ringing.

“Ask him Dara. Ask him if he’s cheating on you…” Donghae whispered to Sandaras’ ears and placed her phone on her ears. After awhile, they saw Jiyong answered Daras’ call but still enveloping Kiko on his embrace.

Hello? Babe?”

“Where are you?” Sandara asked, with shaking voice. “Whe-where are you Kwon Jiyong?!”

“I’m here at the convention with some delegates. Hey, are you—Hello? Hello?! Sandara?!”

Sandara turn-off her phone and stares at Donghae. “I am hurt. Please Donghae, take away this pain…” she mumbled, without shedding a single tear.

“Please… I’m begging you… please take away this pain…” and with that, Sandara cried on his chest.