t e n

Cheating Hearts

Donghae was arranging his plates when a guy with white pre-med school uniform came towards him while grinning. His eyebrows furrow upon seeing his roommate nerdy boy Suho came, with his usual big bag and medical books. Donghae even saw the weird stares from their block-mates upon seeing Suho entering in their classroom. Pre-med students were isolated- their campus is at the back part of the university because of their specialized laboratories- and their route upon entering in the university is different route.

When Suho is already near him, he felt a sudden tap on his shoulder. “What are you doing here, nerdy boy?”

Suho just smirked then placed his book in modern biochemistry on Donghaes’ desk. “I’ve got no class so…”

“You better go back to your building, Suho. Archi student’s looking at you like you’re soft of an alien creature.” Donghae said, matterly fact. His classmates even gave them second look because most of the time, pre-med students don’t go to other buildings and hang-out to other students.

“So? I’m a student of Sequel University and I’ve got all the privileges to roam around the campus if I’ve got no class.” Suho said. “My girlfriend is here so I’ve gotta pick her up.”

“Better pick her up now.” Donghae said, while grinning.

“Where are you going?” Suho asked. Donghae was walking towards the exit door so he started walking beside him. “My girlfriend told me she’s now at the cafeteria so…”

Donghae stopped walking and faced his friend. “Look, Suho, I am spending my break-time with Sandara. Do you understand?”

Suhos’ grin even get wider; making Donghae frustrated and then started walking to get away from Suhos’ creepy smile. Suho walks along with him while letting out a soft chuckle. “So, you’re dating, huh? In public places? How about Jiyong? Does he know that there’s something going on?”

“No. This is not a form of a date. And , no. Jiyong doesn’t have an idea about this.” Donghae said.

They’re now walking towards the cafeteria. Upon entering, Donghae immediately saw Dara who’s now pouting while waiting for him. Donghae can’t help it but smile. “Head over heels?”

“Shut up.”

Donghae slowly walk towards Dara. Dara is not even aware of Donghaes’ presence because she’s very busy thinking of something, when she felt a hand covering her eyes. “What the!”

“Who am I, huh?” Donghae asked, trying his best not to chuckle. “Come on, I’m waiting.”

Sandaras’ laugh filled over the place. “Come on Lee Donghae! I know it’s you.”

“I thought you’ll tell Jiyongs’ name.” Donghae said while giving Dara a soft kiss on her forehead. “You’ve waited for how many minutes?”

“Ahh, I just came here.” Dara said while smiling at Donghae. The irritation she felt towards him and Kiko were now nowhere to be found because of his smile. Well, I’m still irritated to Kiko. She thought.

“Ahh, you still remember him?” Donghae said, while pointing at Suho who’s now standing behind her back. “He’s my roommate, her girlfriend is just here, the one who helped you change your clothes when you get… err.”

“I thought you’ll never introduce me again to her.” Suho said while smiling. He looked at Dara with a smile on his face. “I’m Suho and we met again. Thank god, you’re not as wasted as the last time.”

Dara felt embarrassed then blushed. “I-I’m sorry if Donghae dragged you into that situation. Hello Suho, I’m Sandara.”

“Naah, its fine with me, as long as it will not happen again. You might not know, Donghae might you next time.” Suho said while grinning.

“ you!” Donghae said while laughing.

“Wait, I should find first my girlfriend.” Suho said while leaving their table.

“He’s funny.” Sandara said. “Though a little bit tactless.”

“Yeah, that’s nerdy boy Suho.” Donghae said. “What do you want to eat then?”

Dara gave Donghae a soft smile. “Just sandwiches.”

Donghae pinched Daras’ cheeks. “I better grab some normal food. You’re getting thin Dara, I want you to be fat.”

Dara rolled her eyes. “This is my body frame Donghae. You cannot change it just like that because you want to.” Donghae just chuckle and then left Dara after pinching her nose. He went to the counter to buy some food. “That guy, tss.”

Dara just shook her head and then smile. Being with Donghae is giving her comfort. Donghae has been her comfort zone ever since she came back here. Jiyong is treating her like just a random girl before but seeing how he made efforts now made her happy. She will be forever grateful towards Lee Donghae, the first person she like to be with when she came back.

Suho went back to the table along with his girlfriend. “Where’s Donghae?” he said. “By the way, this is my girlfriend.”

Dara smiled at them. “Hello.” She intently looks at Suhos’ girlfriend and she cannot deny the fact that she’s really beautiful. “Oh, Donghae just grab some food for us.” She said. “How are you?”

Suhos’ girlfriend gave her a shy smile. “I’m fine.”

“Oh, thank you by the way for helping me out, you know, at that time.” Sandara said while blushing. “I-I was just wasted and well, sort of broken-hearted at that time.”

Suhos’ girlfriend just gave her a smile. “No, it’s okay. As if I’ll let Donghae touch you at that state.” She said. Upon seeing her friends, she remembers that she has to tell something to them. “Oh, wait a minute. I’ll just talk to my classmates for awhile.”

“Hurry up and be back.” Suho said while grinning. He stares at Dara who’s watching Suhos’ girlfriend. “So, how are you?”

“I-I’m doing fine.” Sandara said, a little bit nervous. “I-I never thought you have a girlfriend.”

“Oh, I’m used to that notion from other people already. They thought I’m nerdy boy like all pre-med students but heck; I party every Friday night and well, do some monkey business. I bet nerdy boys don’t do that.” Dara just nod then smiled at him. Suho gave her a soft smile. “So, you’re Donghaes’ girlfriend? Or Jiyongs’?”

Dara looked at him, shaken. Her eyes were wide open and if others would notice them, they would think that they’re having conversation that is very very specific and serious. “Y-You know…”

“Oh, I actually don’t have an idea about you and Donghae but I knew you and Jiyong were couple.” Suho said while giving Dara a friendly smile. “I just thought Donghae was just being nice since you are Jiyongs girlfriend, which is his bestfriend.”

Dara looked away. She has no idea on how to deny it. Suho is indeed intelligent by knowing it. She does make sure that Jiyong and Kiko wouldn’t notice it but with Suho, what she does seems like obvious to him.

“Do you like my friend, Lee Donghae?” Suho asked.

Dara looked at Suho. She want to be honest because the thing is, she really like Lee Donghae. She likes hanging around with him and wants to see his smile. And upon remembering Donghae, she can’t help it but smile. “Yes.”

“What I mean, like in a sense of seeing him as boyfriend in the near future.” Suho added, making Dara stop.

“H-huh?”

“Do you like Donghae because he’s your safe haven and comfort zone? Or you like him because you like him?” Suho asked. “There’s a big difference in that situation Dara. Now tell me, where’s Donghae in that situation?”

Dara looked at Suho with an unexplainable expression. In her thoughts, she really likes Donghae, she really does. Having him around giving her peace and comfort. “I-I really don’t know what to say.”

Suho left out a soft chuckle. “Think about it Dara, you like Lee Donghae yet you love Kwon Jiyong. There’s a thin line between them, I know you know that. And based on my observation, you love Jiyong less and now you like Donghae a lot.”

“I-I…”

“You like Donghae?” Suho asked.

“Yes.” Dara answered, straightforwardly.

“You like it when you’re with him?”

“Yes.”

“You love Jiyong?”

“Yes, or course.”

“You like it when you’re with him?”

“Yes.”

Suho smiled. “Then, what are going to do? You cannot possibly like Donghae and then loves Jiyong at the same time Dara. Well, you better choose your destiny now, Dara. Loving two people is not healthy… but it’s possible. However, the degree of love varies.”

“I-I’m not in-love with Donghae.” She said, while looking at Suho directly to his eyes. “M-maybe, I-I like Donghaes’ company because he’s been my companion since day-1. But I don’t love him! I’m only in-love with Jiyong.”

Suho gave Dara a friendly smile, yet deep inside of that is a smile that is very meaningful. “You can love both of them Dara but the degree of feelings varies. Now that you’re saying that you love Jiyong and at the same time, likes Donghae is really a different level. Love is a bigger picture, bigger degree than like, than what you feel towards Donghae. But knowing you’re love for Jiyong is slowly fading, I know soon you will realize what I want to emphasize in this conversation.”

Dara was left silent because of Suhos’ words. Oh, the Suho effect. She’s thinking now that since her feelings towards Jiyong are slowly fading because of his cheating acts, does this means that her feelings are now diverted to Donghae? Or she just feels that she’s starting to like Donghae because he’s the person she can lean on as of the moment?

“You better choose Dara before fate chooses it for you.” Suho said. He smiled at her back and saw that his girlfriend and Donghae were already coming.

“At last! The food is already here!” Suho exclaimed, as if he didn’t say anything towards Dara.

“What are you two talking about?” Donghae asked, as he places the food on the table. “You’ve been talking like business man- serious and cannot be disturbed.”

“Well, I just gave Dara some discussions and trivia’s about life.” Suho answered. “So..” he said, while starting a conversation.

 

***

 

Kiko was walking at the corridor heading to her next class. She’s alone and she’s quite comfortable with it. Being alone somehow gives her peace of mind. These past few weeks were pure hell for her: she’s avoiding meeting Dara at the cafeteria or in the hallways because she’s afraid of the confrontation she knew she can do if things gets worst, Jiyong is avoiding her after their conversation and all academic stuffs were exploding in-front of her. Life … probably. She thought.

She’s not walking on the third floor towards the auditorium for her minor class when she saw Dara walking, probably heading towards stairs. Kiko stares at her and she can’t help it but become bitter. Sandara is really beautiful- inside and out- plus the fact that the person she love is in-love with her. She’s very guilty upon remembering how she was for being the third party in her relationship with Jiyong. But what can she do? Her heart wins over her mind. Her proper logic, her basic principles and her rationale in life were nowhere to be found!

When Dara turn to the other side of the corridor, Kiko can’t help it but sigh. She shook her head and started walking towards the auditorium. I hope we can be real friends. She thought but she knew to herself that it’s impossible since she’s in-love with her boyfriend. How can she be Daras’ real friend when behind those smile she’ll give to her is the fact that she’s committing sinful acts behind her back? With her boyfriend? How can she be Daras’ real friend when she loves her boyfriend? How can she be Daras’ friend when everyday of her waking life, she thinks that someday, somehow, Dara and Jiyong will break their relationship?

Upon entering to the auditorium, she immediately seeks for Jiyong. The auditorium can accommodate almost 200 students. They have a massive batch discussion about their accounting major subject- she has no idea why their professor like this way of teaching. Well, it’s the students’ duty to catch-up with these bastards. She thought. She walks towards the middle part of the auditorium when she spotted Jiyong along with their classmates Seungri and Taeyang.

“Kiko!” Taeyang greeted her when she sat next to Jiyong.

“Yaah, haven’t seen you yesterday.” Seungri asked. “Are you sick or what?”

Kiko gave them a weak smile. She remembers how stupid her reaction was upon seeing Dara and Donghaes’ hands being intertwined. Stupid Kiko! “I’m fine now. Thank you for the concern, though.”

Jiyong looks at Kiko and gave her a warm smile. This is the first time they’ll be talking after that conversation they’ve shared the other day. He knew he was being jerk, but all he cares is for the sake for her Dara. Damn! He was so in-love with her and he regretted it for being an - getting flings behind her back.

Kiko gave Jiyong a smile. Despite the awkwardness she felt towards Jiyong, she still has to set-aside their issues. Nobody knows that they’re having affairs, except Donghae and some of their high school buddies. “How are you, buddy?”

“I’m fine. I heard you’ve seen Dara and Donghae the other day, holding each others’ hands at the hallway.” Jiyong said. He’s fighting himself for acting like an immature boyfriend. He let out a heavy sigh. He will understand it, but a part of him is afraid of all the possibilities. “They already explained it to me and I understand them.” I will understand them…

Kiko gave Jiyong a weak smile. She can see it and she can feel it, Jiyong is indeed in-love with Dara, but she can’t help it but be selfish. She can love Jiyong too, but cannot have his heart. “You really love her that much, uh?”

“Yeah, very, very, much that imagining her and some other guy holding her makes me wants to explode.” Jiyong said. He faced Kiko who’s intently staring at him. “I’m willing to change for her Kiko.”

Kiko gave Jiyong a bitter smile, and then squeezes his hands. “She’s one of a hell lucky for having you.” She said. Dara is one lucky girl for having you Jiyong… damn lucky.

Jiyong chuckled. “No. I’m the lucky bastard for having Sandara for me. She’s perfect.”

Kiko let out a fake laugh. She thanked their professor for coming just in time. She’s not stupid for not feeling it. She knew that Jiyong is smitten over Dara, that’s given already, but her stubborn heart is keep on yelling that loving Jiyong is the right thing she will ever do. Loving him is like embracing a cactus: even if it will give her pain and wounded heart, she will embrace it wholeheartedly because she loves it. Love big-time, but it’s quite addicting.

Kiko’s been thinking that if Dara didn’t show up again, would Jiyong fall for her? Would Jiyong fall out of love for Dara? Would they have their own happy ending? She sighed and smiled bitterly. A lot of things were running on her mind yet she remained stoic. Jiyong is just next to her and they’re having their discussion- she cannot possibly cry or worst, break-down in-front of them! The Kiko Mizuhara they’ve known is cool and composed.

“So, that would be all. Please be ready for a long quiz next week. The modules will be sent on your email accounts; do check them ahead of time.” Their professor said while giving them a last glance. “Class dismisses.”

Jiyong immediately arranged his bag and hurriedly gather his books. “I have to go Kiks, Daras’ waiting for me today.” Jiyong said. He even give Seungri and Taeyang a slight nod. “Bro.”

Kiko gave Jiyong a slight nod and smiled at him. “Okay. Bye Ji.”

Jiyong run towards the auditorium exit door not even giving a last glance towards Kiko- as if being late is a sinful act. Kiko was left there, alone with a heavy heart. “How can I possibly move-on if you’re part of my everyday life Ji?”

 

 

***

 

Night comes and Jiyong, Suho and Donghae decided to go to the club. They wanted to let the stress away and the only means they all think is get drunk and get wasted. The next day is Saturday so they all have no class, except for their P.E. subjects and some club activities.

Upon entering the club, the loud bang of music immediately filled their eardrums. Neon lights were everywhere giving an adrenaline rush to the three. The club they entered is owned by their friend, Siwon, who’s now in his fifth year in Engineering. Jiyong is now his last year in college since accountancy is just a 4-year course. Suho is still on his pre-med course, which is Biology, while Donghae is now on his 4th year in architecture. He still has another year for his internships and all and yeha, for his board exam.

Suho is busy smiling while walking towards the bar counter with a bartender, which is his girlfriend. “Hi miss beautiful, can I order… you?”

Suhos’ girlfriend blushed but remained calm. She shook her head while fighter to herself that she should refrain from smiling. “Yes you can but after my work.”

Suho smirked, while wiggling his eyebrows. “One later miss.”

Donghae heard it so he gave Suho a light punch on his head. Donghae felt that Suhos’ girlfriend was a bit embarrassed because of what he said! “Geez! You’re not a nerd, but you’re a certified ert!”

Suho was laughing while giving Donghae a small punch on his stomach. “Bro, is a cocktail drink and not the you’re thinking.”

Jiyong was laughing then gave Suho and Donghae a slight tap on their shoulder. “Jack Daniels for me.”

“Come on bro, we still have org activities tomorrow!” Suho said while laughing. “We should drink only light drinks and sort of had ourselves got laid tonight.” Suho said while giving flirtatious look towards her girlfriend who’s now shooking her head.

“The ! Stop flirting Suho, she’s your girlfriend anyway!” Donghae said while laughing. It’s really creepy seeing their ‘nerdy roommate’ flirt.

“Have a one night stand Lee Donghae! Geez, this kid hasn’t got any after a few months.”

“Whatever.” Donghae answered while giving Jiyong a look. “Let’s go and try some beerpong.” Donghae put his arms on Suhos’ neck and dragged him.  “I’ll just borrow your ert boyfriend.” He said towards Suhos’ girlfriend.

Suho ranted but he cannot do anything. “After your shift babe, just call me.” He sad, while winking at her girlfriend. He faced Donghae and Jiyong who’s now smiling. “Damn! My girlfriend is so hot that I cannot take my eyes off of her!”

“ off! Sick about love!” Donghae said, trying his best to act normal. “Jiyong.” He called.

Jiyong just smirked and entered the exclusive part of the club. There, they saw their other friends who are having a good time on the corner. They even saw some college buddies making-out but they just continued walking towards the center part of the VIP lounge. There they saw their high school buddies.

“Bro!” All of them scream, tuning to the beat of the loud music of the club. They do the weird hand-shake they usually do when they’re still in high school. “How are you?”

“Well, we’re having fun because next week is hell week.” Jiyong said. “Oh, this is our dormmate, Suho.”

“Hi.” Suho confidently said, while giving them light tap on their shoulder.

Suho already knew some of them, especially Taeyang, Siwon, Suengri and Henry. They’re their co-dormmate so he can see them most of the time.

“Beerpong?” Siwon said while wiggling his eyebrows. “Super Juinors VS. Big Bang?”

Seungri laughed. “T.O.P. is not around.”

“Then, let Suho be in your team.” Henry said. “Kyuhyun and Zhoumi will be in your team too.”

Jiyong chuckled. “Come on Henry, we’re not that amateiur when it comes to beerpong.”

“Super Juniors VS. Big Bang.” Taeyang added. “Well, Suho can be with us.”

“Sounds fair.” Siwon said, before smirking.

“Well, I’m good at playing ping-pong.” Suho said, matterly fact.

“Let’s play then.” Eunhyuk said with a grin.

 The game started and the ball is now on Suho. Suho shoots all the ping-pong balls on the cup that is in-front of them so he smirked. Drunk asses later. He thought. But all of them were just suppressing their laugh because Suho didn’t even bother to ask the rules of their game.

“So, Henry didn’t shoot any and I shoot all of them.” Suho said, while grinning. “Now, drink.”

Henry suppresses a laugh upon hearing Suhos’ words. “You don’t have an idea about our rules, right?”

“H-huh?” Suho said, whiel giving Jiyong and the others quizzical look.

“This game is not the usual beerpong, Suho. The person who can shoot the balls on the cup will drink the drinks.”

“What the !” Suho ranted, making Donghae and the others laugh. “Y-you didn’t tell me!”

“You didn’t ask.” Donghae said, whiel laughing. He drank his drink then faced his friend Suho. “Come on, you’ll just drink 8 cups straight.”

“Suho! Suho! Suho!” Everyone chanted.

Suho gave Jiyong a look, asking for help, but Jiyong just shrug and enjoying the view. “At last! Suho is being dumb for the first time!”

“ you!” Suho said, while shooking his head. “I swear to the gods of asses Jiyong.”

“I can myself Suho.” Jiyong said while laughing. “Come on! Suho! Suho!”

“Suho! Suho!” everyone chanted, leaving Suho with no choice but to drink it.

 

Everyone was cheering. Almost all of them were already drunk. Jiyong was sitting on the corner with a beside him while Donghae is drinking his last shot of Jack Daniels silently. Some of them went down because they want to party while Suho was laughing hysterically on the chair along with drunk Siwon and Khyuhyun.

“Ahhh, you took advantage of my ity!” Suho said, while laughing.

“Still a , best-friend?” Siwon asked.

“Of course not! I my girlfriend’s dude!” Suho said while laughing.

“Bastards. Now they call themselves best of friends.” Donghae mumbled.

“Drunk asses.” Jiyong said while shooking his head.

“Did you know tha squirrels forget where they hide about half of their nuts?” Suho said, while grinning. “Did you know that half of the human brain can be removed by surgery with no apparent effect on personality or memory?”

“Woaah! Nerdy Suho!” Siwon said while giving another shot to Suho. “Another trivia please.”

Donghae shook his head. “He loves the attention.”

While Suho is giving trivia’s to Siwon. Donghae just silently drink the last glass the refilled them. He noticed that Jiyong was now drunk and now kissing the beside him. So, where’s the ‘good boy’ thing Jiyong? He thought. He shook his head. He’s just drunk and drunk people usually forget what they’re doing.

“Ohh, my friend Kwon Jiyong is making-out in-front of us!” Suho blurted out, making Siwon and the others laugh.

“ off bro, I want to have some good time.” Jiyong said, while continue kissing the beside him.

“He has a girlfriend and yet he’s making out here!” Suho said. “Ahh, he’s cheating! Kwon Jiyong is cheating!”

Donghae was quite alarmed because of Suho. ! If he’ll tell Jiyong that I am in-love with his girlfriend… ng !

Suho looked at Donghae and smirked. “Oh, Donghae my friend!” Suho stands-up and went towards Donghae. His walking in a zigzag motion and he can’t help it but shook his head. “My favorite roommate!”

“I can’t believe that nerds are as wasted as like you.” Donghae mumbled.

“Ahh, Donghae is a good-boy! He’s in-love to someone else who has a boyfriend and yet, and yet, he still manage to be hands-off to that girl. Isn’t it amazing?”

“Come on bro, you’re ultra drunk.” Donghae nervously said. He’s afraid that Suho might spill information’s that he must not tell to anyone. He looked at his friends who are now drunk too. He looked at Jiyong who’s now busy kissing and his hands wandering on the s’ body.

“I have a story to tell but you better be quite.”

“!” Donghae mumbled.

“Kwon Jiyong is an , a jerk, so girls shouldn’t fall in-love with him.”

“Why?” Eunhyuk asked while laughing.

“He will feed you with sweet words, take you to best fun house in the world, treat you lunch. He will kiss you in e-eeevery beautiful places so you can never go back there without tasting them like blood in your mouth. He will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible and then leave you hanging and broken.”

Everyone was laughing when Jiyong push the beside him and put his middle finger in the air. “ you!”

“Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does.” Donghae mumbled from nowhere, thinking that that’s the best rebuttal sentence he can give towards Suhos’ remarks.

“Yeah.” Suho agreed. “We plan things yet in the end, the relationship we plan is not as perfect as we seems. Love is a battle, love is a war, and love is growing up.” Suho said while drinking the beer he’s holding. “But I suggest girls shouldn’t fall for guys like him though.”

“It’s from James A. Baldwin.” Donghae mumbled.

He looked at Jiyong who’s now staring at the ceiling. Donghae saw how he grabs his phone and dialed a number. He has an idea about who’s the one he’ll call so he immediately closes his eyes and drink. Love is a battle, love is a war, and love is growing up… he thought.

“Hello Dara?” Jiyong said while laughing.

“I-I’m not Dara, it’s me Kiko.” Kiko said with confusion. “Are you okay Jiyong?”

“I love you. I love you and I’m sorry because I am a jerk.”

“Hello? Jiyong? Are you drunk?”

Jiyong laughed hysterically. “You sound like Kiko, uhmm.”

“Where are you?”

“You’re coming for me? Hmmmm…”

Kiko shook her head and then stands-up. “Where are you Jiyong? I’m fetching you.”

 

Donghae shook his head and gets his phone. He went outside while holding his drink. Since the music is very loud he went outside the club and went to the parking lot. The loud music aren’t audible so he manage all his guts to dial her number.

First ring…

Second ring…

Third ring…

“H-hello?” Dara asked with a hoarse tone. She looked at her phone and saw that Donghae is the one who’s calling her and it’s already 2 AM. “Donghae? Are you alrght?”

Donghae closes his eyes and smiled. Even by merely hearing her voice makes my heart jump… he thougth. “Love is a battle, love is a war, and love is growing up.”

Dara sat up on her bed and tries her best to analyze Donghaes’ words. “Donghae? Are you alright?”

Donghae chuckled. “Love is a war Dara and I am willing to be your soldier.”