L a s t C h a p t e r

Cheating Hearts

Last Chapter

 

 “Yaah! Yaah!” Dara yelled. “Wake up, little goldfish!”

Donghae scratches his eyes and started to blink. The room is now filled with light from the outside. He bet it’s already morning. He smiled at the thought that he slept with Dara. And it’s making the butterflies in his stomach rally- it’s as they all wanted to go out. Damn! I’m being gay. He thought.

Dara on the other hand, bit her lower lip.  He looked at Donghae with full of annoyance. It’s already 9Am and they’re still on the bed. She must go to school to get the school papers by now. “Wake up, Donghae!” Donghae just smiled and pull Dara. Dara is now on top of him. “Per-ert!” she screamed.

Donghae just smirked and looked at Dara in her eyes. He said, and then gave her a short, quick kiss. “Good morning, girlfriend.”

Daras’ eyes widened as Donghaes’ lips touched hers. “Whatthe---“

“Hmmm, your lips were sweet.” Donghae smiled widely.

“I-I---“

“It’s okay, girlfriend. You still have the sweetest lips.” Donghae stood up and kissed Dara on her forehead. “Come, I know you still have lots of errands.”

Dara just shook her head and found herself being carried by Donghae. “Donghae!” she screamed. She’s just lucky enough that the room is sound-proof and dormers from the outside won’t hear them. “Put me down.”

Donghaes’ laughter filled the room. “Let’s take a shower together?” He even wiggles his eyebrows. “What do you think? We can save water, just so you know.”

Dara blushed but she manages to punch Donghae at the back. “Put me down or we’ll never talk.”

Donghae just pouted and slowly put Dara down. “Pch. I’m being playful and sweet and ideal boyfriend but you won’t appreciate it.”

Dara just rolled her eyes at Donghae but smiled. She went closer to Donghae and even if she knew they both didn’t have their toothbrush, she cut the distance and reached for Donghaes’ lips. “Good morning, boyfriend.” She said while blushing.

Donghae was blushing too. “T-that’s the real ‘good morning’ greeting.”

Dara looked at the other side of the room to hide her blushing face. “Pch. I didn’t know that you’re ert.”

Donghae laughed and put his arms on Daras’ shoulder. “Naah, I bet you like it too.”

 

***

 

“I’ll just go back to my dorm to get some school stuffs.” Donghae said as they reached near the university gate. “Just text me if you’re done, arrachi?”

Dara rolled her eyes but smiled. “Yes, boyfriend.”

Donghae went closer and kissed her forehead. Dara blushed but she just smiled while closing her eyes. “I’ll be back.”

“Okay.”

 

Dara entered the university and went straight to the registrars’ office. After getting the files, she went to the cafeteria and grabs some snacks for awhile. She sent a text to Donghae telling him that she’s done with her errand. She was silently eating when Suho approached her with a smile on his face.

“Suho!”

“Dara!”

Dara gave Suho a warm hug. “How are you?”

“I’m fine. How about you? I haven’t seen you these past days.”

“Got busy with school stuffs. You know, finals are fast approaching.” Suho said with a smile. “So…”

“I’m going back to the Philippines the day after tomorrow.” Dara said.

“O-Oh…” Suho mumbled. He was taken aback for awhile but smiled. “W-well, when will I see you then?” He wanted to make the atmosphere light as much as possible. He will miss this noona. The time that they spent is little but it doesn’t mean that they didn’t treat each other as a real friend.

“I’ll be here once in a while? Maybe for summer breaks.” Dara said while smiling. “I-I’ll miss you Suho.”

“I’ll miss you too.” Suho said. “I am wishing you all the best.”

Daras’ eyes got misty and she laughed to suppress it. “Naah, don’t make me cry Suho. I don’t want to miss you that much.”

“Tss.” Suho said but hugged Dara tighter. “Take care always.”

 

 

Donghae texted Dara that he’s on the way when Jiyong approached him. The awkwardness they felt were now gone. Sure that the way they resolve the issue is very helpful. They already saw Dara sitting in the cafeteria with Suho.

“Jiyong.”

“You’re coming to Dara?” Donghae nods. “Can I talk to her for awhile? You know, talking to her as her childhood friend.”

Donghae smiled and taps Jiyongs’ shoulder. “Sure, bro.”

They walked towards Suho and Dara.

“Bro.”

“Jiyong. Donghae.” Dara said.

“Hmmm, Suho and I will go to the library for awhile to grab some books. Right, Suho?” Donghae said while giving Suho the come-with-me-and-let-them-talk look.

Suho smiled and nods at Dara. “Yep, I almost forgot about it.”

 

Jiyong is now left alone with Dara on the cafeteria. Jiyong broke down the silence that filled them. “So…”

“How are you?” Dara asked. “Oh, by the way, Kiko and I talked the other night.”

“Really?” Jiyongs’ eyebrows rose. “What did the two of you talked about?”

“Nothing that concerns you.” Dara said while smiling. “Why do I have this feeling that what we’re about to talk about is something serious.” Jiyong chuckled and started to drag Dara. “Hey, where are we going?”

Jiyong smiled but didn’t talk. They went to the P.E. building – specifically at the swing area. Dara smiled and excitedly went to the swing.

“You really know what to do.” She commented. She started swinging the swing while Jiyong is standing at her back. “So…”

“You’re really going back?”

Dara smiled. “Yes. And no ones gonna stop me or father. You know him; he’s somewhat a control-freak old man, Ji.”

Jiyong laughed. He started pushing the swing making Dara giggled. He used to do this when they’re still little and it somehow reminds him of the old version of Jiyong. “Yaah.”

“You know you’ll always be my first love, Dara.”

“Pch. Same old page, Ji?” Dara commented. “But, me too. You’ll always be my first love.”

“I want the best for you.” Jiyong said. “And when I say ‘the best’ it only means it’s not me.”

“Come on, Ji. You are the best. It’s just that… you’re not the ‘best’ for me.”

“I ed-up but you know that I love you, right? That even if I cheated and become the first-class , you know that I really love you, right?”

Dara nods. “Of course, I know that you love me.”

“And I am regretting it. But sad to say, you only know the real worth of something if you already lost it.” Jiyong said while smiling. “Well, at least, I lost you but you’re found by the next best guy.”

“You’re not feeling awkward right?”

“H-huh?”

“Me and Donghae being together now. I mean, he’s your best-friend and I am dating him. And you are my ex-boyfriend and my first love. Isn’t it awkward?”

Jiyong smiled. “I already projected this idea ever since. That someday, you’ll find someone other than the jerk Kwon Jiyong.”

“If you just loved me truly, maybe, you’ll not loose me.” Dara said to Jiyong, who keeps on swaying the swing she’s sitting down. She sighed at the thought of him and her before: the perfect relationship, the perfect days.

Jiyong smiled at Dara. He’ll forever regret it- letting go of Dara- but it’s the fate that choose. He was given a lot of time to change but he remains a jerk and continued cheating. The time for their love-story is already over. Dara is already ready for the next page…

Just always remember, no matter how ed-up I am, I will always be here for you Dara. My first love… he thought as he continued swinging the swing.

 

***

This is it, pansit! Dara thought. She was at the airport right now along with Donghae, Suho and his girlfriend, and Jiyong. She texted Kiko that she’ll be going home and want to meet her but she just called her. She doesn’t want to see Jiyong as of the moment and Dara understand it pretty well.

“So, this is goodbye?” Dara said, trying her best not to cry. She has to be brave, at least in-front of them. “I-I’ll miss you guys!”

Dara hugged Suho. “Don’t study that much, Suho. You’re getting smarter everyday.”

Suho hugged her back while smiling. “You sleep a lot noona so you can gain weight and grow tall.”

Dara laughed and slightly punch Suhos’ arms. “I will.”

Dara received a hug from Suhos’ girlfriend. “You got to be careful not to get pregnant by Suho. He’s head-over-heels with you and he’s planning to tie you in his waist once he graduate with his pre-med.”

“Noona!” Suho exclaimed as his plans were busted by Dara. He stares at his girlfriend who’s laughing.

Dara went to Jiyong and hugged him. “I will miss you, first love.”

Jiyong chuckled and kissed Daras’ hair. “Naah, Donghae will kill me if you’ll keep on hugging me like that.”

Dara wiped away the tears on her eyes. “Don’t forget to change, Kwon Jiyong!”

“I will.” Jiyong said while smiling. “I will miss you too, first love.”

Dara faced Donghae and smiled. All the dramas she wanted to do are already through. They talked yesterday and they decided that that they will never cry in-front of each other. At first they argue because Donghae insisted a long-distance relationship but Dara doesn’t like it. She keeps on saying that she will never take another risk again.

 

Do you really think I will cheat? That I will do what Jiyong did to you?” she remembered Donghaes’ words that made her cry.

She shook her head. “I know you won’t cheat, Donghae. It’s just that, if I’ll agree with you, a lot of possible things will happen. You will meet someone, I will meet someone. And what if you’ll fall out of love?”

“You really think of me like that?” Donghae said.

“It’s just that I want you to be free and not being put inside a box. We’re young, Donghae. If we’re meant for each other, we will always be.”

 

So in the end, they both decided to stay in an open-relationship. They’ll act as a couple but they are not committed with each other. They can date someone else. But they know deep inside, they’re already ‘committed’ to each other.

“So, this is good-bye?” Dara asked. She’ trying her best not to cry so she smile.

Donghae shook his head and smiled too. “Nope. This will never be a ‘goodbye’. That word is just for dead-persons or to the person you will let go. And I won’t let you go Dara. I will never let you go.”

“So, see you then?”

“Three years. Is that enough?”

Dara nods. “Three years then?”

 

***

 

Six Years Later…

 

It was a typical church wedding in South Korea. Dara looked so beautiful wearing her long off shoulder long gown that fitted to her body. She was the epitome of the blushing bride upon going down from her bridal car. She’s very beautiful and Donghae can’t help it but smile. The way he looks at her, it is very obvious that he really adore Dara. He will never regret the day he told himself that he loves her. And that he will always love her.

“You nervous?” Jiyong asked Donghae who was with him, watching Dara- the bride of this wedding. Both of them were standing near the altar and waiting for the coordinator to give her signal.

Donghae shook his head and smiled. “I don’t have any reason to be nervous, hyung. I am happy, Dara is happy too. We are both happy.”

The coordinator came rushing towards them and smiled. “Jiyong-ssi, you should stay beside Dara-unnie by now so you can walk her towards her father. The wedding will start in less than five minutes.”

Jiyong nods and put his arms around Donghaes’ shoulder, slightly tapping it as if assuring that he’ll be okay. “You better get nervous. One wrong note and the dream wedding of Dara will be ruined.”

Jiyong walked towards Dara. Donghaes’ grip on the microphone tightened as he stares at Daras’ beautiful face. Relax Donghae, relax… You’ll just sing the wedding song. Inhale… exhale… he  mumbled. Donghae saw Jiyong hugged Dara tightly and he wished he can hug her too. But he can’t, he just can’t. Donghae felt the slight tap on his shoulder, making him look who did it.

The guy wearing a white tux smiled at him. “She’s really beautiful, right?” Donghae saw how this guy beside him adores Dara. The way he stares at her is the evidence.

Donghae smiled at stares at the lovely bride. “Yes, she is.”

The wedding march started to play and Dara is now standing next to Jiyong, her best man. Donghae shook his head and smiled. “Please do take care of her…” Donghae said.

The guy next to him smiled knowingly at him. Jiyong and Dara started walking down the aisle heading towards Daras’ father. Jiyong is her best-man and it’s kinda weird. Donghae saw how Dara looked at him. Her eyes sparkle as she started walking towards him- and towards the guy who stands beside him. He almost forgot that he’s just one of her best-man, along with Jiyong.

“Thank you…” Dara mouthed making Donghae smile.

“You’re welcome.”

She was smiling pretty big and it made Donghae smile too. He was feeling too much happiness and he cannot contain it anymore. After six years, Dara will surely will be happy, and it made his body tremble with so much joy and excitement.

Donghae got the cue to start singing the wedding song.

How he wish that he’s the best man too; he was once become her best man. Donghae smiled and put the microphone near his mouth. Donghae will sing the wedding song for Daras’ wedding… and it’s saddens him because he’s not the groom.

 

What if I never knew.

What if I never found you

I’d never have this feeling in my heart.

How did this come to be

I don’t know how you found me

But from the moment I saw you

Deep inside my heart I knew…

 

Dara is now with her father walking towards them. Donghae is near at the altar singing the song- as if he’s singing what his heart wants to say. What happened to them? He wanted to ask but he’s a sport- he let go of her. He remembers all the things he did just to save their relationship and just last month, everything changed. And it’s happening right now.

 

Baby you’re my destiny.

You and I were meant to be.

With all my heart and soul.

I give my love to have and hold.

And as far as I can see

You were always meant to be

My destiny…

 

 

Maybe some people do come to our lives- to make us happy, to make us cry….