s e v e n

Cheating Hearts

Donghae sighed upon seeing how peaceful Sandara is while sleeping on his bed. Her eyes were closed, in a very relaxed way; her soft, pink lips were partly opened, revealing her white teeth. She’s blowing cute sound that made Donghae stares at her for a longer time. God knows how happy he was seeing her like that- serene, lovable and no tears falling on her eyes down to her cheeks. He drank the glass of milk he’s holding and went back to the kitchen counter where his room-mate Suho is eating his breakfast.

He sat on the chair adjacent to him and sighed. He’s on the verge of telling him that she’s Jiyongs’ girlfriend or just let it slip away. Knowing how crucial their situation was, Donghae’s afraid of making a mistake. A single mistake will ruin everything and he’s afraid of it.

“So, she’s the girl you like?” Suho asked from nowhere. He munches the toasted bread he’s eating then drank his milk. “She’s really beautiful, you know. Now I know why you fall for her.”

Donghae sighed, for a hundredth time. “She was a mess yesterday.”

“Up to now.” Suho added. “We’re lucky enough that my girlfriend is here so she dressed her up. If she’s not here, god knows what we’re going to do with a drunken lady.”

After that kiss they’ve shared on the parking lot, Sandara passed out. Donghae don’t know what to do whether to bring her to her dorm and nobody would look after her or just brought her to his dorm. So he decided to take her to his dorm. After all, Jiyong wouldn’t be here… he thought. Though he’s a little bit unsure, it’s a good thing that he knew him so well. Jiyong wouldn’t miss sleeping in his playmates bed.

And the thought about Jiyong pisses Donghae. How could that bastard do that in-front of them? Sure thing, Jiyong doesn’t know that we’re their. Donghae sighed. He never knew who’s the real Jiyong because of what is happening right now. The Jiyong he knew, his best-friend, is not as an and as jerk as to what he’s seeing right now. He’s a playboy, that’s given, but he’s not like this. Yes, he beds some random girls but Donghae knew that he’s capable of loving her- of loving Sandara. He’d seen him being miserable as hell when she left him. He became an and became playboy when she left him. But what is the logic of still being a playboy when the person, the reason why you become like that, is already here? He should change, for her. For Sandara.

“So, what is her name?” Suho asked.

Donghae sighed and decided to tell him the truth. After all, Suho will know about her in the end… “She’s Sandara Park.” Donghae mumbled, more of a form of a whisper.

Suho was taken aback and looked at Donghae with a confused expression. “Y-you mean The Sandara Park?” he asked, making sure that he heard it right.

Donghae sighed. “Yes, she’s The Sandara Park.”

Suho immediately drank the cup of milk, with shaking hands, he’s been holding. “What the !” he muttered. He looked at Donghae who’s now looking at the ceiling looking like he’s thinking for something deeply. He has no idea that his room-mate is ingly ed-up because of his best-friends girlfriend! “You’re ed-up, totally ed-up Donghae.”

“Yeah, ingly ed-up Suho.”

Suho drank again the milk and looked at Donghae. “So, Jiyong is cheating?” Suho asked. He just wants to confirm it. He knew Jiyong since he moved in their dorm and he saw how playful Jiyong was to some girls. He even brought some on their room when they’re away and seeing how depressed Sandara was yesterday made him feel sad for her- even if he hadn’t meet her for long.

“Yes.” Donghae sighed. “I told her once, that Jiyong is cheating, but it was just a form of a joke knowing how in-love they were. Jiyong is in-love with her yet he chooses to commit the same mistakes again and not even give importance to the person… to the girl…”

“…you love most.” Suho continued. He looked at Donghae and he saw how sad his eyes were- agony, pain, sadness, all at the same time. All of those emotions were visible in his eyes right now and the usual glowing of his eyes isn’t visible. “How did this happen, Donghae?”

Donghae sighed then looked away. “I-I really don’t know. It happened so fast, so vivid, that one day it drawn to me that I am in-love with my best-friends girlfriend. I woke up one day that I just want to see her smile and that I just want to hear her laughter, which I want to be the reason why. And the way she smiles at me, damn, it always gives me a somersault feeling.”

“I know that kind of feeling…”

“But this is not right, everything is not right! I didn’t choose to fall in-love with her, Suho! Believe me, I tried my best Suho, I tried my best not to fall for her because I know the consequences of this. And I’m so ed-up for loving her like this. That I’d gladly risk everything just for her… and forget everything, everything about my past just to be with her. Damn it!”

Donghae clenches his fist tightly. He wanted to get mad at Jiyong because he’s the main reason why he’s having a dilemma like this. If he didn’t allow him to get attached to her, to his girlfriend, he’ll never felt that feeling. He’ll never fall for her.

Suho sighed, and then taps Donghaes’ shoulder. He felt sorry for Donghae because what he felt for her is a right love, but they got it on a wrong time. Donghae loves Dara in all possible right reasons, yet fate isn’t in favor of them. “No one falls’ in-love by choice Donghae, it’s by chance. And no one falls’ in-love to the perfect person, but to the right one…”

Suho left Donghae, dumbfounded and confused all at the same time. “Damn it!”

 

 

***

 

Sandara woke-up with a heavy heart and a headache. If headache felt like you wanted to get rid of your head because it’s too painful, yeah, better call it headache. But what concerns her most is not the throbbing feeling on her head, but the clenching feeling on her heart. She felt like she’s a candle, slowly dying inside. What happened to her yesterday is the phase of her life that made her doubt about love. Thinking about what she knew and what she saw made her want to cry for more. Her heart is throbbing, it gives a painful clenching feeling and she wanted to cry; yet her eyes ran out of tears, as if she cried all the possible tears she could have the other night.

She roams around her stare and sees that the room she’s sleeping is unfamiliar- the paint of the walls, the scent of the whole room and most especially the bed sheet she’s lying down. The walls were painted gray that is supposed to be an old rose paint and the bed-sheets aren’t yellow. Her eyes widened upon realizing that she’s wearing an over-sized shirt instead of a body fit blue tube dress.

“Kyaaaaaaaah!” she screamed.

“What the ?!” Donghae immediately entered his room upon hearing Sandaras’ scream. He’s afraid that something happened to her while he’s cooking for her breakfast. “Are you okay Dara?”

Sandara kept on screaming upon seeing Donghae and realizing the possibilities that something might happen to them while she’s drunk. He’s a boy! Oh my god! Did he saw my body? She asked herself. But she mentally asses her body, nothing changes in her- on her own thoughts- but her dress were different. And it’s his oversized shirt!

Donghae climbed on his bed and hold Daras’ mouth with his palm. He knew they’re too close but heck; he wouldn’t dare Suho to kick his balls because of her screams.  He pushed her on his bed while putting his palms on . Their bodies were just inches away and that even made Sandara more nervous. “Shhh. Shhh. Suho might kill me upon—“

“What the heck is---“ Suho said, storming inside Donghaes’ room but upon seeing Donghae and Dara in that awkward position, he just smirked and closed the door. “Don’t forget to use protection!”

“Hey, we didn’t!” But they only heard the loud bang of the door and a giggle. “Such a ert nerdy boy.”

Donghae released Dara and sighed. He stares at her who’s now closing her eyes tightly. She’s biting her lower lip and he can’t help it but smile. The thought of her, in his bed, is a euphoric feeling. He’s staring at her like she’s the most precious gem in the world, in his world. Being this close to her, seeing her bare face is a satisfying feeling for him. “Hey…”

“Why are you not wearing a shirt?!” Sandara screamed. She cannot dare to open her eyes since Donghae is half . That’s the reason why her screams doubled- the thought he’s half is… I don’t know. She thought.

Donghae chuckled and get-up on his own bed. But before he could totally get out from his bed, he went back to his bed where Dara is lying and looked at her in the eye. “Come on look at me.”

“No! Y-you’re half .”

“No, I’m not. Come one Dara.” Donghae convinced her.

Dara slowly opens her eyes and saw that Donghae is lying. He’s still but the comforter covers his body. Donghae looked at Dara, straight to her eyes. “Now I hope you still remember what we did yesterday, hmmm.” He said, while grinning.

Dara looked away and she cannot look at Donghae in his face, most especially in his eyes. She felt that burning sensation on her face upon remembering what she did yesterday evening. And upon realizing it, she can’t help it but smile bitterly. They say that being drunk and ed-up will make you forget about the pain, but heck they all just lied. She can still remember what Jiyong did towards her; she can still remember the pain. She can still remember it all, clearly and painfully. “O-of course…”

She heard Donghae sighed and place his palm on her face, making her look at him. “I will be your secret boyfriend from now on.”

Dara gulped. She stares at Donghae with awe. “H-how about Jiyong?” She asked. She was hurt, yes, but she still love Jiyong. She’s mad and all but she still love him- but her love towards him were lessen.

Donghae smirked. “Do you really think that I’ll let you get hurt by him again?” He snorted upon remembering the scene they saw yesterday. He wanted to punch Jiyong for being such a jerk, yet he wanted him to thank for being like one because if he’s not a jerk, he’ll never experience this moment with Dara. He gave her a heart-warming smile. “You’ll be safe with me now Dara, I promise that to you.”

Dara sighed and cupped Donghaes’ face. If it wasn’t for him, she’ll be forever stupid in-front of Jiyong and Kiko and of all girls in the campus. “Thank you for being here with me Donghae, thank you very, very much.”

Donghae gave Dara a smile and kiss her forehead. “Always, for you Dara…”

Sandara gave him a painful smile. She badly misses Jiyong. If only I didn’t went overseas, maybe we’re happy together now. No flings, no complications. “T-tell me, w-what is the exact role of Kiko in our story?”

Donghae looked at Dara, directly to her pained eyes. “She’s just his bed warmer. buddies, friends with benefits.”

“D-did Jiyong… did Jiyong loved her?”

Donghae sighed. “Maybe yes. Maybe no. I do not know Dara.”

Dara gave him a warm smile. She will never, ever forget the day Donghae told her that Jiyong is cheating. “I want to ask you one last question.”

“W-what is it?”

“Why are you doing this?”

“W-what?”

“This. Why are you helping me? Why are you protecting me?”

Donghae looked away. Even if he wanted to tell her that he loves her, he just can’t. It’s too early. It’s too soon. And he doesn’t want to scare her with this immediate love he felt for her. He stands-up and pulls Dara out from his bed. “Come, I cooked breakfast for you.”

 

***

 

“Good morning baby.” Jiyong greeted Dara. Dara gave him her sweetest smile then let him sit next to her.

It’s been a week since she knew about Jiyongs’ affairs- aside from her and Kiko. Dara thought that everything will be okay once he’s here with her. Dara thought that she’ll eventually forgive him, that she’ll just forget about it- about his betrayal. But for a week were she spend her time with him and saw his face, everything will just bounce back- the clear memory of him and Kiko kissing in the mall, from the sight of him making-out in the parking lot and his lies. The lies he feed to her for a long time.

 

Jiyong is a jerk. An . A playboy.
Jiyong is cheating on her.
Jiyong is having an affair with Kiko.

 

Jiyong was with them, along with Kiko, in the cafeteria. For Dara, it was really awkward. Even if she let herself cry before, seeing how Jiyong and Kiko act like a real best of friends really disgust her. She’s not into hatred, heck, she doesn’t want her tiny heart to be filled with hatred, but upon seeing her ‘boyfriend’ and his ‘best girl friend’ talk as if they’re not buddies and cheating on her, really disgust and annoy the hell in her.

She just let Jiyong and Kiko talk about school stuffs. They’re batch-mates, org buddies. And oh, buddies. They talk as if she and Donghae aren’t with them. They went to their own world where math and calculations live. They talk about their experience at Jeju and even laughed on their own experiences.

 

Yeah right Jiyong. Are you happy you’re laughing with Kiko? Are you happy that you’re with me and with your other woman? Are you happy that you have 2 women who will love you unconditionally? Yeah right, I’ll allow you to have me and Kiko at the same time, but you have to let me have you and Donghae at the same time too. She thought with gritted teeth.

 

They continued talking about their experiences when Dara felt Donghaes’ soft and warm hands on her hands. Donghae gave her a warm smile after he greeted her ‘Good Morning’. She and Donghae sat together while in-front of them were Kiko and Jiyong. Their sitting arrangement clearly shows that something is wrong- that every time she chooses to sit next to Jiyong, they’re always a Kiko beside him. How come I didn’t notice it? Ahh, I got blinded by my love for you Jiyong… Dara thought.

Donghae and Dara became ‘secret couple’. Nobody knew, even Suho, that they’re having this kind of relationship. Even if they’re doing this secret gestures for the past few days, Dara still find herself got nervous. But the weird part is that, deep inside of her, she wanted Jiyong to caught them in the act. Even if it’s not Jiyong as long as the thought that Jiyong or Kiko or someone who know them would know or would notice ‘something’ about me and Donghae. Dara want Jiyong to know that she’s cheating, that she’s having an affair towards Donghae. She want Jiyong to feel the pain she felt upon knowing that he’s cheating on her.

Why? Because it pain the hell in her.

“So Dara, how’s your stay here in Korea?” Kiko asked, with full smiles. She’s really fond of Sandara and she can’t help it but be sad upon remembering how she and Jiyong fooled her- most especially now- in-front of her and Donghae. She still felt like she’s lucky, that they’re lucky enough, that Donghae didn’t tell Dara yet. “I’m sorry I haven’t texted you, you know, got busy with the school stuffs and acads.”

Dara smirked, but immediately gave her her sweetest and friendliest smile she could offer. Oh really? Maybe you’re busy with Jiyong, with my boyfriend. She thought. But she didn’t voice it out; instead, she just gave her a friendly smile and even taps her hand that is on the table. “I’m good. I’m actually fine. Korea is still Korea, but the people around here aren’t the same anymore.”

Kiko looked at her upon hearing them. “Why?” She’s afraid that she heard her words wrongly or transcribed it wrongly. It’s as if there’s something else on her words. For the past few days, Dara has been… different. She frequently stares at her with clenching fist or just stares at her then smirks. She’s afraid of the possibilities- of the possibility that she already knew about them and Jiyong.

Dara gave her a smile. “Oh, some people I’ve known change. You know, people change and feelings do change.” She drank the bubble tea Donghae gave to her.

This time, Jiyong stopped and stares at her. He noticed that something is bothering Dara. He usually caught her staring from nowhere and then immediately cries. But when he’ll ask her if she’s okay, she’ll just smile at him and say, ‘I’m okay… I’ll be okay.’ He’s maybe paranoid and he doesn’t like that feeling.

Jiyong hold Daras’ hands and gently squeeze it. Dara smiled at Jiyong, and then faced Kiko. “I have a friend from the Philippines. She’s very much in-love with her boyfriend, they’re already reached six years. She was so in-love that she choose to blind even if she already caught in the act that her best-friend and her boyfriend is cheating on her.

Donghae stares at the three- to Dara, to Jiyong and to Kiko- and mentally evaluate their reaction. And it didn’t surprise him when he saw how Kiko and Jiyong got pale. Both of them were nervous because they’re charged of guilty.

Dara clenches her fist, the one which is Donghae is holding. Dara and Jiyong were together since seventh grade. Since seventh grade. They’ve already surpass their crucial phase- the long distance relationship. They shared so many memories and experiences and then this will happen. Jiyong will betray her because of Kiko?  He will choose Kiko over their since seventh grade relationship? That the relationship she fought and take cared of will end-up being like this?

Donghae squeezes her hand and smiled. He even looked at Jiyong and Kiko who’s now speechless. “And that our inspiration in making our term paper in political science.”

“H-huh?”

“Our term paper is about the cheaters and the one being cheated.” Sandara said, while giving emphasis to her words. She wanted to give them a hidden message- that she’s mad at them and it disgusts the hell of her to see how they act like nothing is happening.

“Since we don’t want the mainstream teen-age pregnancy and human trafficking, we decided to have this one. Exciting and interesting, right?” Donghae asked.

Kiko and Jiyong got silent. After a long silence, the bell rang signals that the next subject will get started in 5 minutes.

“I-I have to go.” Jiyong said, while giving Dara a kiss on her cheeks. “Just text me when you’re done with your class. We’ll have a date.”

Kiko stands-up along with Jiyong since they’re classmates. “Bye Dara. Bye Donghae.”

“Bye.”

Upon seeing them walking away, Dara bit her lower lip. Suddenly, she felt a metallic taste on , indicating that it was bleeding.

“.” Donghae cursed. He immediately get his handkerchief and place them on her lips. “You okay?” he asked. Concern is written all over his handsome face.

Dara gave him a genuine smile. “Yeah. I didn’t notice that I was biting my lip hard.” Dara again followed Jiyong and Kiko with her eyes and the sudden pain immediately aroused. Cheaters!

Donghae smiled and slowly lifted their intertwined hands and squeeze it. Dara shifted her gaze, from Jiyong and Kikos’ figure towards Donghae. And upon seeing Donghaes’ smile, just like a virus, it infected her and that made her smile too- even if she’s dying inside.

“Fun, isn’t it, Dara?”

“Yeah, it’s funny. Listening to lies when you know that you know the truth…”