t h i r t e e n

Cheating Hearts

It’s been 3 days since Donghae had a conversation with Dara. Since it’s the beginning of the examination week, they don’t get enough time to talk. Dara is always with Jiyong and seeing them happy somehow, makes him happy.

“Argh, I’m having a nervous break-down!” Suho ranted. He pulls his hair because of too much frustration. “I read the whole 5 chapters yesterday and then that sick professor will get questions from the prelim exams? What the ?!”

Donghae laughed at his roommates’ rants. “You forgot the answeres?”

“Hell, no! But my efforts were wasted, damn it!”

Donghae shook his head and looked at Suho. “The efforts were still counted, bro. At least you gained another information.”

“Heck!”

Donghae just laughed and then eat his sandwich. Upon seeng his sandwich, he left out a heavy sigh. All of a sudden, he remembers’ Dara. Is she eating her breakfast? Did she study well? Is she with Jiyong? He thought then sighed. Damn it! It’s still her…

“You miss her, don’t you?” Suho asked. He wants to know if his friend really misses Dara. He’s sure that Donghae is indeed in-love with Dara and seeing him acting like stupid is alarming him.

Donghae smiled. “Of course, I miss her. She’s already part of my system, bro. She’s the person I want to talk every waking day of my life.”

“The sad thing is, she’s not in-love with you.” Suho said, gaining sharp stares from Donghae. “At least I didn’t try to console you, I’m just being honest.”

“Yeah, she’s not yet in-love with me.”

Donghae felt sad upon hearing the saddest truth. Dara was just really fond of him; he knew it, because if she’s really in-love with him, she’ll think twice or thrice before giving Jiyong a chance. Yes, they’re secret couples now, but deep inside of him he’s not contented to what they have right now. He wants to give Dara the best date ever, hold her hand freely or kiss her without restrictions. He wanted it badly, but time didn’t allow them.

“But I know she will.”

“Huh?”

“I talked to her and she told me she likes you.”

Donghae stares at his friend Suho. His heart is beating fast and he can feel that his palms were shaking. “W-what?”

“She told me she likes you. But the thing is, she still love Jiyong.” Suho said, matterly fact. He looked at his friend, watching his reaction and he’s very happy upon seeing how his eyes sparkle. “You see, she has feelings for you Donghae. You just have to wait, for your right time. Loving someone doesn’t require rush, you have to wait for your right time.”

Donghae smiled but deep inside of him, he’s scared. What if the right time for them slipped? What if Jiyong wouldn’t let go of Dara? When will be the right time for them?

He’s afraid that maybe, the right time for them already slipped and his time already elapsed. That maybe, his time is done and he’s just part of a phase that will make their love for each other stronger?

“I-I…”

“I’m not giving you any false hope, Donghae. It’s just that, I do believe that you should wait for your right timing. You are assured that Dara has feelings for you, but you have to make it grow.” Suho said while giving Donghae a tap on his shoulder. “Distance and time makes the heart grow fonder Donghae.”

Donghae left out a soft chuckle. “You sound like a love expert, huh?”

“Of course. I love psychology.”

“I can feel that you want me for Dara.”

“Yeah, sort of. I believe that she deserves to be happy and I don’t really approve those bad boys playing around to some random girls. And Jiyong is the epitome of it- bad boy and playboy.”

Donghae laughed and then envelop Suho on his embrace. “And because of that, I’ll treat you dinner later.”

Suho shook his head and push then Donghae away from him. “Bro, you sound like a ert roommate! Geez!”

 

***

 

Dara is with Jiyong. They’re now at the bench were they started studying. She stares at Jiyong and she can’t help it but smile. She really loves Jiyong, deeply, that she chooses to forget and forgive his doings. If a person is really in-love, they tend to forgive and forget for the sake of their loved-ones. She can see that he’s really doing his best to make her happy too. He’s always with her and every time they’re with each other, he makes sure that she’s enjoying his company. Just like in seventh grade…

Jiyong is really making sure that everything about him and Dara were perfect. He chooses to be with her every time he’ll get a chance, making sure that every moment with her is the perfect one. And now that they’re together he can’t help it but smile. Being with Dara is really something… it melts his heart and makes him happy.

“Why are you staring at me? Am I that handsome?” Jiyong said, while chuckling. He cups Dara face and planted small kisses on her face.

“Yaah! We’re at the school grounds.” Dara said while blushing. Being caught staring and admiring your boyfriends face is really embarrassing.

“Tss, I don’t care.” Jiyong said while smiling. He wraps his arms on Daras waist, pulling her closer to him. “I’m really happy that you’re here with me, Dara. I hope this wouldn’t end.”

Dara smiled and put all her weight on Jiyong. She’s really comfortable when Jiyong is around. Just like when she’s with Donghae… “Tell me Ji, did have an affair when I wasn’t around?”

Jiyong stiffened. His heart is beating fast and he’s afraid that Dara would hear them. Would he tell her another lie? But what if he’ll tell her the truth? Will she get mad at him? He left out a heavy sigh. “I-I didn’t have one.”

Dara faked a smile. You didn’t have because you’ve got too many. Too many that you lost count… she thought. But even if he’s lying to her, she tends to just forget it. Maybe that’s because she really love Jiyong. She’s ready to hjear his lies, even if she know the truth, and just accept it. “Hmmm…”

“Y-you d-don’t beli-believe me?” Jiyong nervously asked. He knew that Dara don’t have any idea about his doings. When they’re still in the long distance relationship, they still communicate. He knew what her doings in the Philippines and even met her friends via Skype. But the thing is, he’s not loyal to her. He has escapades; he has needs to be met. Dara cannot give it to him, so he needed to find someone else, someone who can satisfy his needs.

“Of course, I believe in you…” Dara said with closed eyes. “I love you Jiyong.”

Jiyong smile. He knew that he loves Dara, very much, that he thinks of letting his bad side go. “I love you too.”

 

 

That’s the scene Kiko saw from afar. And it’s not really amusing that she’s crying again. Jiyong is the only person who can make her smile and at the same time make her cry. She doesn’t even know why she’s still holding to him, even if he’s letting her go, even if he’s hurting her everyday.

“Oh please, stop hurting me Jiyong.” Kiko thought.

Seeing them like that is really killing her. She wants to let the pain go, but she cannot let Jiyong go. He’s the reason why she’s still living. Jiyong has been her love since high school. She worked hard for his fond, his attention. She did her best to snatch his attention away from Dara- away from his girlfriend. She became low class , just to be with Jiyong. She must admit, it’s killing her knowing that Jiyong is still holding on to her because of she can give him satisfaction. That it’s killing her knowing that Jiyong cannot possibly love her, no matter how hard she tries, because of Dara.

“One lucky , just make sure that you’re watching at Jiyong because heck, I’ll do everything just to have him. This story won’t end like the usual thing Dara, I’ll have Jiyong no matter what…”

She walked away and didn’t bother to look back. She’s a and she’s sorry because Dara is the person she’ll hurt just to have Jiyong. One thing she learned about loving Jiyong is that, you have to fight for what you want…

 

 

***

 

Donghae was reading his notes for his next exam when all of a sudden he felt that someone bumped into him. His notes fell and it somehow irritates him.

“OMG! I’m so sorry.” Donghae left out a sigh and grab the notes he’s reading. “I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry.”

The girl keeps on saying and its irritating Donghae. Geez, girl’s mouth really . He thought. “It’s okay, just be careful next time.” When he looked up he saw a random girl with a very pretty smile. Oh, she’s pretty. Donghae thought.

“Oh my ing guava! It’s you! It’s you!” the girl squeal. She even gives Donghae a bear-like hug, pulling him closer to her, while giggling. She’s jumping like an idiot while hugging Donghae. “Oh geez! It’s Lee Donghae! Kyaaah!”

Donghae pushed the girl who’s now hugging. He has no idea who’s that girl is. “What the! Who are you?”

“You don’t know me?” The girl asked, exaggeratedly. She even give him a shocked expression. “You don’t know me? OMG!”

“Miss, I have to go. I still have exams—“

“My name is Im Yoona, your number zero fangirl.”

Donghae gave her a bored look. “Look, I don’t know what you are talking about miss-“

“I’m the reason why there’s ‘Super Donghae’! I am the president of your fans club!” Yoona squealed. “OMG! OMG! OMG! Of all people, of all people, it’s you whom I bumped in! Is this fate? Naah, its destiny.”

Donghae gave this girl named Yoona a half-smiling stare. So, the rumor about ‘Super Donghae’ fans club ist true? And this girl in front of him is the reason why that club is existing? He thought. He wanted to laugh upon seeing this girl smiling like an idiot in front of him. She looked like she wanted to praise him. “Look, I have no time for this. I really have to go.”

“Wait Donghae!”

“What?”

“Fighting!” Yoona said while smiling. “I know you can do it.”

“Thanks.”

Donghae run towards his next class and took his exam. He was half smiling while remembering that girl. She’s really funny, even if he just met her. And really pretty too… he thought. When he finished answering his exams he immediately went out because he’ll meet Dara and eat lunch but upon realizing that he cannot do that anymore, he felt sad.

“Donghae!”

Donghae looked around and saw again Yoona, running towards him. He looked at her and can’t help it but smile at her. “Oh…”

Yoona let out a heavy sigh. She’s panting really hard because she just came from her exams too. “I really thought I can’t see you now. Woo! How’s your exams?” Donghaes’ eyebrows rose upon realizing that she’s acting they were best of friends. “Oh don’t give me that look. I know, I know, I’m acting like we’re childhood friends. Yeah, they labeled me as FC, can’t believe it’s really true.”

“FC?” Donghae asked. This girl is really something…

“Feeling close.” She said while smiling at him. “Acting like close friends, yeah, that’s it.”

Donghae smiled. So, this girl named Im Yoona is his fan girl, huh? Let’s see… “When is my birthday?”

“H-huh?”

“My birthday.”

“October 15.”

“Who are my friends?”

“College friends were few: Suho is the new one which is you roommate and Jiyong, Siwon, Eunhyuk and many more were you high school friends.” Yoona proudly said.

“When was the very first game I played when I was in college?”

“Intramurals league along with Kwon Jiyong at the track ‘n field event. You won first place in 500 meter dash.” Yoona said, while smiling. “Is this the fans club interrogation? I mean, for real? You want to know if I know you.”

Donghae smiled. “You looked like a stalker to me.”

Yoona pouted. “I’m too pretty to be a stalker.”

Donghae smirked. He’s really amused of this girl. “Usually, fan girls were nervous when their idols are around. But you, you’re different.”

Yoona smiled. “Of course, I’m different! Oh, I have a question, since we’re now talking and acting like we’re best of friends; I want to ask if you’ll join the track ‘n field event for the next sem?”

“I don’t know.” Donghae said. “I’m busy with my plates.”

Yoonas’ smile grows wider. “Aww, I really hope I’ll see you run Donghae, seriously.”

Donghae smiled at her. “I miss it too.”

“So, want to grab some lunch?” Yoona asked, making Donghae chuckle. “Geez, this is the only time I can ask you to have lunch with me! Every fan girl wishes to eat lunch with their idol.”

Donghae smiled. “Sure, no problem.”

 

 

Dara was with Jiyong at the cafeteria. They’re having lunch together for 3 days and she’s happy with it. Though she misses her friend Donghae, she still decided to spend a lot of time with her boyfriend. Jiyong and her lack time for each other before, so they’re just making up with the lost time. I hope he’s doing well… I you’re doing well Donghae… she thought.

“And since I’m graduating, I want to have a lot of time with you Dara. After graduation, I’ll be having my reviews for the exams to get my license.” Jiyong said while drinking water. “And since you’ll be staying here because I’m one year ahead of you, I want you to be with my best friend all the time.”

“Donghae?” Dara asked.

Jiyong nod. “Yep. Donghae can be your confidante while I was having my review and after my licensure exam, I can be free again.”

Dra just nod. The way Jiyong said those words were quite offending. So it means that I’ll be with Donghae all the time and he’ll be with Kiko?  She’s not really against it, her being with Donghae because Donghae is her friend, but knowing he’ll be with Kiko is quite alarming. Oh, I trust Jiyong…

“I’m sure you can pass the licensure exam, Ji.” Dara said while smiling. She even clasps their hands and smiled at him. “You’re smart and I can feel it, you’ll be an accountant soon.”

“Thank you.” Jiyong said. He even kiss Daras’ cheeks.

 

And that’s the scene Donghae saw upon entering the cafeteria. He’s not aware that he stopped walking and just stares at the two. He can feel that he was hurt, he can really feel it.

“So yeah, I am a fashion major and, Donghae? Yohoo, Donghae?” Yoona asked. She stares at Donghae who’s now staring at Kwon Jiyong and an unfamiliar girl. She looked back at Donghae and saw how hurt he was. “Donghae? Yaah, Lee Donghae?”

Donghae blinked his eyes and looked back at Yoona. “W-what?”

“Your best-friend is there. Come, introduce me to him.” Yoona said while holding his hands firmly. Yoona can’t help it but giggle. This is every fan girl’s dream- holding their idols hands. If this is a dream, meh, let me stay here… she thought. “Geez, I’m so excited!”

Donghae left out a heavy sigh and let Yoona drag him to Jiyong and Daras’ chair. He wanted to just run and escape this but he can’t, he just can’t because the school is just too small for them. They share the same school; have the same circle of friends and he even shares dorm with Jiyong. He cannot possibly escape this whole thing.

When Yoona was already in-front of the famous Kwon Jiyongs’ table, she extended her hands in-front of them, her free hand, with the girl beside him. “Hello, my name is Im Yoona.”

Jiyong looked at the girl in-front of him, smiling like an idiot yet with sparkling eyes. But Dara didn’t bother to look at the girl bcause her eyes were glued to her hands and Donghaes’ hands. And as if on cue, her heart throbs really hard. She’s not ready for that kind of emotion. Her smile totally faded away.

“Donghae…”she mumbled.

“And oh, this is your best-friend, Lee Donghae.” Yoona introduced Donghae to Jiyong. “He’s a bit shy to approach you and introduce me to you.”

“Bro!” Jiyong called. Donghae just nod at Jiyong but his eyes focused on Daras’ face. How he miss that beautiful face. “Dara…” his voice softened and gave her a genuine smile.

Yoona noticed it and she immediately pull Donghae closer to her and sat down the vacant seats in-front of the couple. She has an idea what is going on between Donghae and this girl but she’s enjoying it. She got the privilege to meet Donghae and Jiyong! Isn’t it amazing?  “I am Im Yoona and I am the president of ‘Super Donghae’ club.”

“Super—what?” Jiyong said, while smiling.

“I am the president of Donghaes’ fans club and it’s my privilege to meet you in person, his best-friend, Kwon Jiyong.” Yoona said, extending his hands towards Jyong. If we’ll gonna have a hand-shake, meeeh, my fan girl wish is really real! She squealed on her thoughts. “It’s my pleasure to meet you, Kwon Jiyong.”

Jiyong suppress a laugh and extend his hands to meet Yoonas’ hands. He can’t believe that someone as weird as her is here in-front of him. “Oh, no problem.”

“Have you already eaten? Donghae and I will eat here. Can we occupy the space here?” Yoona asked. “If it’s okay with you and with your…”

“Oh, this is Sandara Park, my girlfriend.” Jiyong proudly said.

“Oh, the girlfriend of Lee Donghaes’ best-friend. Hello, I’m Im Yoona- the president of ‘Super Donghae’s club.” Yoona extended her hands.

Dara smiled at her. “Hello, I’m Dara.”

 

Donghae and Yoona started eating. They even share a conversation with Jiyong and Dara. Dara was really observing Yoona and Donghae. She’s really curious on to how and when did the two met. She don’t know why but she felt jealous because Donghae is paying attention towards Yoona. Jealous? Why? Why am I feeling that way?

“Oh, look, you have something on your face.” Donghae said while smiling at Yoona.

“Eh? Where?”

Donghae smiled while getting closer towards Yoona. He cup her face and get the sauce on the side of her lips. “Such a messy eater.” Donghae mumbled while suppressing a laugh.

“Come on!” Yoona said while pouting.

Dara doesn’t know why she felt like the whole cafeteria is really small. She closes her fist and bit her lower lip. Her heart is beating really fast and she doesn’t know why she wanted to cry. I am not jealous! Heck, I’m not! She has a boyfriend, she loves Jiyong but she’s jealous! Why?! She frustrated asked herself.

“E-excuse me, I think I need to go to the C.R.” Dara said to no one. She immediately stands up and even left her bag on the table.

“You want me to accompany you?” Jiyong asked.

Dara shook her head, giving Jiyong a fake smile. “It’ll be quick.”

Jiyong, Donghae and Yoona left there. Jiyong just smiled at the two and continued their conversation. “So you’re a fashion major, right?”

“Yep. I am a sophomore.” Yoona said. She looked at Donghae who’s now looking at the way Dara walked. She has an idea why Dara walked away and it was just part of the plan. She lean closer to Donghae. “Talk to her…” she whispered.

“H-huh?”

“I think she’s jealous of me…” Yoona said while smiling.

“B-but…”

“Come on, I’ll just talk to Jiyong.” She gave him an assuring smile. “My lips were sealed. It’s not my story to tell to begin with.”

“Aww, are you two dating?” Jiyong asked. “You look good together.”

“I’ll just go to the C.R.” Donghae said.

“Oh, please wait for Dara, Donghae” Jiyong said then eventually diverted his attention to Yoona. “So…”

 

Donghae immediately run towards the C.R. He even entered the comfort room for the girls and was lucky enough that no one is inside. Probably most of the students were at the cafeteria or in the library or in their classrooms.

Upon entering, he heard a heavy sighed.

“Why am I feeling that way? Why am I so jealous?” he heard someone spoke and that’s Dara. “I love Jiyong but… why?!”

“You’re jealous.” Donghae spoke.

Donghae saw how horror Daras’ expression.  “W-what are you doing here?” She wipes away the tears that are falling on her face. “This is a girls C.R!”

“I don’t care.” Donghae said. He was happy upon hearing Dara that she was jealous. He was even happy that she cried for him! “You’re jealous…”

“I am not.” Dara said, while looking away.

“Yes, you are Dara.” He said. He went closer to her and cups her face. “Tell me, do you have feelings for me?”

“W-what?! Wha-what are you talking about?”

“You’re jealous, you were hurt. You have feelings for me.” Donghae said. It’s not a question but a statement of confirmation. He was smiling because he was happy knowing Dara has feelings for him. He wanted to jump, to scream, but he fights himself because he was inside the girls comfort room!

“No…” Dara shook her head. “That’s not true.”

“You love me…” Donghae said while smiling. “You love me Dara, you love me.”

“No! I have my boyfriend, I have Jiyong!” Dara said. “I love him, Donghae, I love him.”

“And you love me too.”

Dara keep on shooking her head. “No… no. I-I cannot possibly love you and Jiyong at the same time!”

“It’s okay… we’re couples, right? You are my girlfriend, right?” Donghae said. “We’re secret couple so it’s okay to love me and Jiyong at the same time.”

Dara shook her head. What she had with Donghae isn’t right. She’s cheating on Jiyong! And now that Jiyong is back to her, she must stop what she has for Donghae. She must not feel anything towards Donghae- even the slightest like she had.

“We have to stop it Donghae. I have Jiyong now and I love him, Donghae.”

Donghae looked horror. He shook his head because he knew she will tell her those words that he’s scared about. “No… no.”

“We have to stop it, Donghae. What we are doing isn’t right.”

“Come on, I’m okay to be your secret boyfriend Dara. I’m okay with that situation. It’s really fine with me, to be a substitute and stand-by.”

Dara shook her head and cup Donghaes’ face. She was crying because she felt like a bad girl, throwing away Donghaes’ feelings for her. Even if she has feelings for Donghae, she must fight herself and kill that growing feelings. I don’t love Donghae… please, I don’t love him. She tries to convince herself.

“You deserve to be happy. I am happy now Donghae… h-happy with Jiyong. Please…”

“No… I am happy with you Dara. Even with your slightest attention, I am happy to that.” Donghae said, giving Dara an assuring smile.

“Stop it Donghae. You are my friend, my closest friend. I don’t want to hurt you…”

“ it! I don’t want to be your friend…”

Dara shook her head and looked at Donghae straight to his eyes. She will miss Donghae, truly.

“I-I’m sorry Donghae but, I’m breaking up with you…”