t w e n t y o n e

Cheating Hearts

The following day, the school fest started. Everyone is very busy with their club activities; Jiyong, Kiko and Donghae were included with it since all of them were club officers. Dara is walking alone in the school grounds, enjoying her ‘alone time’ for herself, she never experienced one since she came back here. She can’t help it but smile upon seeing Donghae from afar, facilitating his booth for the track ‘n field. Since it is her first year here in the University, Dara is excited to know what will be the happenings of today. She knew that Donghae is the President of the Track ‘n Field Club and this event is somehow a form of club selling because next semester will be the formal club activities of the school.

Dara grabs her phone and dialed Donghaes’ number. She was grinning from ear-to-ear because she can see from afar how Donghae smiled while picking up his phone.

Girlfriend…” Donghae mumbled. He’s sure that he really looked like a stupid young boy upon answering the phone call: his smile is very huge and his eyes were even sparkling. He smiles a lot, but smiling with a phone call is not his thing. But I don’t really care at all… he thought.

Dara bit her lower lip to suppress the giggle that will be out in a minute, but she can’t help it. The butterflies on her stomach felt like they all wanted to go out on her tummy! Shhh… Keep calm butterflies! Boyfriend…”

“Hmmm… The way you say it gives me jittery feeling.” Donghae said with full smiles.

“Kinilig ka naman?” Dara mumbled without even thinking and upon realizing it, she giggled. What did you do to me, Lee Donghae?

“What? I don’t understand, Dara.”

Dara laughed. “Naah, it’s a Tagalog phrase.”

“What is it?” Donghaes’ brows arched. “Are you mocking at me?”

Dara can’t help it but laugh. She can see from afar how Donghaes’ brows furrow and the way he bit his lower lip. “No! It’s just a counterpart of the ‘jittery-feeling’ or the ‘butter-fly in the stomach’ that you felt towards me. It’s ‘kilig’ in Tagalog.”

Donghae didn’t utter a word but smiled. “Hmmm… So I was kilig awhile ago?”

Donghae shook her head while smiling. “Nope.” She said, giving emphasis to the ‘P’ letter in the end. “You’re ‘kinilig’ awhile ago.”

Donghae smiled, with a genuine smile, while biting his lip. He can’t suppress his smile because yeah, he’s beyond happy even with this short conversation. “Ahh, I was kinikilog right now.”

“’Kinikilig’ and not ‘kinikilog’.” Dara said while giggling. “At gwapo mo talaga kapag kinikilig.” (This means that Donghae looked good.)

“What did you say? Yaah! You’re making fun at me! I only understand the word ‘kilig’ in that sentence.”

Dara smiled. “I didn’t.”

Donghae sighed but not mad or something. He has no strength to fight with his girlfriend: Dara is his kryptonite and he knew she’s telling him the truth. “Hmmm… Where are you?” Donghae asked curiously. Since Dara has no club, she’s free to go out and search for the suitable club for her.

“I’m just… somewhere down the road.” Dara said. “Where are you?” she asked, even if she already saw him.

“I’m at my club booth.” Donghae said then left out a sigh. “I miss you already…”

Dara giggled. “Naah, you better calm yourself Mr. Lee Donghae.”

“What? Is it wrong to miss my girlfriend, huh?” Donghae pouted.

“Nope. But one whole day is quite long.”

“I will find you few hours from now.” Donghae said in conviction. “And when I find you, I’ll never let you go…”

Daras’ heart flutter and she can’t help it but smile as she stares at Lee Donghae. She’s just few meters away from him and yet she didn’t bother to come near him. A part of her wanted to do it, but she must be vigilant to her actions. They’re at the school grounds and she can’t do the usual thing, especially when she’s around the campus with Donghae. A lot of people knew that she’s in a relationship with Jiyong and she doesn’t want to drag Donghaes’ name at the end of everything. “I love you boyfriend…”

Donghae smiled and looked at the clouds. “Look up at the sky.”

“Why?” Dara asked, but she does as what Donghae told her to do so.

“Even if I cannot see you, knowing that we’re looking at the same sky, it gives me a feeling that you’re just near me.” Donghae said while smiling. Naah, I’m so in-love with this woman. “I love you, girlfriend…”

Dara smiled and take note to kiss Donghae on his forehead later. “Tss. I’ve got an idea that you love eating corn.”

“Why?”

“You’re very corny.”

“Corny?”

“Yep.” Dara said while nodding her head as if Donghae can see her. “And cheese too!”

“Because I’m cheesy?”

“Yep.”

Donghae smiled. “Have you— What?“ He was disturbed by one of the club members.

“Donghae-hyung, the membership will start in 15 minutes.” The younger club member informed Donghae.

“Okay.” Donghae nods.

“Is there any problem?” Dara asked.

“Naah, they just informed me that the club membership will start in few minutes.”

“Maybe we should—“

“Did you saw the sunflower?” Donghae asked, trying to prolong their conversation avoid bidding goodbye. He’s not really interested on the club activities because all he ever wanted is to run- and not run the whole club. He wanted to quit this sport and just focus on his school activities but the members insisted that he should remain.

Dara nods. “Yep. I saw it in-front of my doorsteps.” She smiled upon remembering the note along with the flower saying how lucky he was to have a girlfriend like her. It gave her a somersault feeling and she can’t help it but giggle. “They’re all beautiful. Thank you…”

Donghaes’ smile widened. He’s happy he can make Dara happy. “Better expect to have one every waking day of your life.”

Dara smiled. The somersault feeling is building up on her and she wanted to scream. Something in her changed and she’s happy with that. She knew she changed for the better… or maybe not. “Hmmm… I think you should go now.”

“Are you trying to escape from me, Sandara Park?” Donghae asked, looking at the particular eye that’s looking at him too. Gotcha!

Dara laughed, giggled to be exact, and waved at him. “You found me!” she said, still holding her phone.

Donghae pouted. “Of course, I will find you no matter what happens.”

“You better go.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re about to start the registration?”

Donghae shook his head while smiling at Dara. He even gave her a smirk making Dara roll her eyes upwards. “Why don’t you join at my club?”

“And I’ll be a water-girl? No thanks, boyfriend. I’d rather join the club I want.”

“Then, what’s your club?”

“I want to be part of 2NE1.”

“The girl group from College of Engineering?” Donghae asked. He heard of that girl group and they’re really good. They’re the one who does include in the opening act of any school events- every school event and Donghae must say that they all have the charisma. “I know the club President and she’s Chaerin. Should I ask her to let you—“

“No need Donghae. I want to go to the preliminaries and pass it without using connections.” Dara said while smiling. “You look really handsome from afar.”

Donghae smiled. “You too. You look beautiful even from afar.”

Dara giggled. Naah, why did God created a perfect man like Lee Donghae?

 

***

 

Dara was walking, with a cotton-candy on her hand. She’s looking for something to play with since the school festival is filled with booths, when someone bumped into her. She bows down her head and sighed. Pabo, Dara! “I’m sorry.”

The person who bumped into her just laughed making her look up to her. “Dara!”

“Suho!” Dara hugged Suho and smiled at him. Even if they just met for a couple of times, she’s really comfortable with him. Suho is like the brother she wanted to have since her younger brother is still at the Philippines. “Where’s your girlfriend? Naah, I miss you already!”

Suho just smiled at Dara and pinch her cheeks. “My girlfriend is just somewhere. Why are you alone?”

“Aah, Donghae is in his booth.”

Suho smiled upon hearing Daras’ answer. “You didn’t even bother telling me about Jiyongs’ whereabouts.”

“I don’t know where he is.” Dara answered truthfully. After that thing happened, Jiyong didn’t bother to contact her and it saddens her. It only show that Jiyong didn’t care if she’s mad or sad or something at him. “Uhm, you want to go to the café? My treat.”

Suho nods and gave her a smile; they started walking enthusiastically. Dara followed him silently. “My girlfriend has been talking about you lately.”

“Why?” Dara asked as she looked at Suho. “Is she mad at me or something?”

Suho just laughed. Sandara Park is really amusing. “Of course not. She’s just… let’s just say, she’s one of your fangirls.”

“Fangirls?” Daras’ brows furrowed as she look at Suho. “I don’t really get what’s your point here, Suho.”

“Naah, it’s still a secret since the school festival is still on-going. But be ready Dara, sooner or later, you will know why other people smiles at you even if you don’t know them.”

Dara just nod and continued walking towards the café. She also noticed those weird stares from other people and it’s really creeping her out. They now entered the café from other clubs and ordered something to drink. As they settle, Suho gave Dara a weird smile. Dara knew that it wasn’t genuine or scrutinizing. She just felt like… it was weird.

“Why are you smiling like that?” Dara asked while laughing. “You know what; sometimes I don’t believe that you’re a med nerdy student. You have a girlfriend; you go to clubs at Friday nights. Geez! We should really don’t judge a book by its cover.”

Suho, who doesn’t really like to be called ‘nerd’ didn’t react; instead, he just stares at Dara. “You should choose, Dara.”

Daras’ brows furrowed. “Huh?”

“Too much love will kill you, Sandara Park.” Suho said while giving her a knowing smile. He started sipping the milk tea he ordered while looking at Dara. “You better pick the person whom you think really deserves you- the one who will value you and take care of you. And personally, I really love if you’ll choose Donghae than Jiyong.”

Dara bow down her head, feeling like she was reprimanded by her father. “S-Suho…” She said, with shaking voice.

Suho smiled. “It’s not wrong to love two people, Dara. As what I always say, you can love both of them but you cannot have them. Human as we are, we are created as monogamous.”

Dara didn’t utter a word. She remained silent as Suho continues.

Suho shook his head and realized that he’s now talking to the most adorable girl he ever met- next to his girlfriend and his mother and siblings. He adores Dara so much. “When you love, the brain malfunctions and logical reasoning’s were nowhere to be found. And what the three of you were doing is an evidence that I am true and the theory is true.”

Dara shook her head and smiled at Suho. “I can’t believe I am being reprimanded by you, Suho.”

“Well, you have to choose Dara.” Suho added. “Too much love, anger and pain will kill you.”

“I can’t and I won’t choose because in the first place, I am the victim here.” Dara said. “Jiyong cheated—“

“A victim? Or just trying to be a victim?”

Daras’ right eyebrow rose. “What you do mean?”

“I know you are a victim because Jiyong cheated but what you are doing isn’t right. You’re acting like Jiyong, Dara. You are cheating! You are lying to everyone! And most of all, you are using Lee Donghae and you are hurting him. You know that it’s a bad thing, right?”

Dara sipped the milk tea she’s been staring at for a few seconds ago. Her hands were shaking and she knew that she’s on the verge of crying. She was never being reprimanded by other people, most especially by a person she barely know. “I want to avenge my broken heart.”

“By what? By cheating? By using Donghae? By smiling while listening to Kiko and Jiyongs’ lies?” Suho said. “Donghae is fixing you; he’s picking up the broken pieces of your heart, Dara.”

Dara bow down her head because it’s really true. Sad to admit but she’s using them and trying to cover her bad side. “Suho, you don’t understand…”

“I may not understand it but even a ten year old can say that it’s really a bad habit. Choose one Dara and it’s either Donghae or Jiyong. Don’t be selfish to have them for your own. You’re not the only one who can love them!” Suho said. “Don’t be selfish and let the other go.”

“I love them—“

“Oh, cut that crap!” Suho mumbled. “If you love them, choose one. There’s a one percent of that ‘both love them’ crap for the other person.”

Dara shook her head. “No, Suho. Not until I am finished with this crap.” Dara said as she stares at Suho. “You wont understand how it felt being cheated, how awful it is to be so insecure asking yourself why he did that and what have you done. I’ve been a good girlfriend even if we’re miles apart. You don’t understand why I am doing this, this whole thing! I am cheating so Jiyong will learn his lesson. I am cheating for him to realize that he’s not really worth of my love. If I won’t do it, what will happen next? Will he still continue doing it? What the!”

“My girlfriend cheated on me last summer vacation.”

“What?!” She asked, in a loud tone making others look at their table. She laughed sarcastically. “Geez! You almost made me believe—“

“She went to her hometown and met her childhood sweetheart. She cheated on me, but I didn’t cheat on her. You know why? Because I do believe that when you love someone, you learn to accept their mistakes.” Suho said while giving her a weak smile. “I tried saving our relationship, Dara.”

“So you’re saying that---“

“Oh that’s bull. I won’t let you make a decision that you’ll regret in the end.” Dara smiled, weakly. I just did Suho! “Save the relationship, if that’s what you want but never, ever, cheat Dara. If you love Donghae, you better start gathering your guts to have a formal break-up with Jiyong. But if you really love Jiyong, that you’ll accept him even if he committed a mistake, then so be it. Forget about Donghae and your little affair.”

Dara bit her lower lip. “I don’t know what to say…”

“You don’t need to say something Dara. All you have to do is to do something.”

“Why are you doing this Suho?” Dara asked, helplessly. “You barely knew me.”

“Because I’m not a jerk, I’m not tolerating your actions. I am the third person in this case Dara, I can see and hear all of you. You are stupid and wrong, every one of you was wrong, but it is you who shall do the first move. Do it Dara, choose someone for you, before the fate chooses it’s own for you…”

 

***

Kiko shook her head upon hearing Suho and Daras’ conversation, confirming that she already knew about her affair with Jiyong. She looked at Dara and smiled bitterly. She really looked like an angel: even with an oily face and messed-up hair. She walked towards Dara and smiled at her. Daras’ smile faded as she saw Kiko. What is she doing here? Creating a scene?

“Hey…” Suho greeted the other woman of Jiyong. “Kiko, right?”

Kiko nods. “Yep.”

“What do you want?” Dara asked in an irritated tone. She’s never rude, but seeing Kiko smiling at her like nothing’s happening is making her sick. “You see, Suho and I were talking about—“

“You are cheating on Jiyong using Donghae.” Kiko said. Not in a question form but a confirmation.

Daras’ heart beats fast but she remained passive. She felt like her heart was about to get out on her rib cage. So thisis what will Jiyong felt if I’ll confront him? “So?”

Kiko smiled at Dara. She slowly, knelt down in-front of Dara, with her eyes closed, making the other students stop and looked at them. She will forget about everything- the humiliation- just to beg. She can risk everything, just for Jiyong.

“Kiko…” Suho said and shook his head. He’s very disappointed seeing girls beg for something they cannot have.

“What are you doing? Kiko, please stand up!” Dara said while looking at the room filled with weird glances from other students. Who wouldn’t? Kiko Mizuhara is kneeling in-front of a nobody? A transferee? “Please…”

“I won’t stand-up not until you’ll hear this.”

“Kiko, please—“

Please let me have Jiyong… please let him go. Let me have him… I badly need him…”

 

 

)