s e v e n t e e n

Cheating Hearts

Donghae is still silent while driving. He’s not sure if he can continue driving all the way to Jeju because of the awkward silence in the car. He stares at Dara, in between driving, checking her if she’s okay. There he saw that she’s just staring at the car window, in deep thought. He wanted to talk to her, know what’s’ on her mind because everything about ‘them’ puzzles him and makes him think a lot.

Dara, on the other hand, tries her best to not mind Donghaes’ presence. She’s nervous as to how he took glances at her while driving- not that he’s creepy but the mere that he’s looking at her makes her nervous. The way his eyes landed on her makes her heart pump like an idiot. It’s as if Donghaes’ eyes stares at her soul.

“Just focus on driving, Donghae.” She can’t help it but commented. She bit her lower lip and closes her eyes. She wanted to relax her crazy heart, which is beating so fast- so fast that she can’t help it but be afraid on how it reacted. The moment she knew that they’re heading to Jeju is making her nervous. Jeju is too far and she’s afraid that her parents will know that she goes there without asking their permission.

“I just… are you mad at me because I’m taking you away?” Donghae can’t help it but asked. He’s afraid that Dara will get mad. That’s the last thing he wanted to do to Dara.

“Nope.” Dara answered, truly. “In fact I am happy you take me away.” She said, giving him a half smile. She’s happy because being with Donghae makes her heart flutter. It’s as if her heart recognizes the emotion she wanted to kill in the very first place.

“Then why are you not talking to me?” Donghae asked, frustrated. He wanted an atmosphere to be light. He’s been through a lot of tensions in his life recently.

Dara looked at Donghae, reached for his hands, and gently squeeze them. “I just want to think.”

“Think of what?” Donghae asked. He wanted to know- everything, every detail- about what’s running on her mind. He’s afraid of the possibilities that she’ll think of escaping the truth about her feelings towards him. He’s afraid that she’ll think of letting Jiyong come back- wholly- to her life.

“Think of the situation.” Dara said while giving a sigh. “I always think that everything will fall into their right places as I came back here but heck, everything was just an epic fail imagination.”

Donghae remain silent, looking at her warily. Dara just looked away, avoiding Donghaes’ gaze. She bit her lower lip as they’re now heading to the port. A twenty-our hour ‘escape’ is a good decision and she’s happy that Donghae take her away.

Before they bought ticket, they went to a store near the port and bought some food and drinks. Since Dara haven’t eaten since yesterday because of too much stress, she bought a lot of food. Donghae just smile and shook his head. He knew that Dara eats a lot, despite her body frame, and he’s happy that she’s being true to herself.

They went back to the car and went to the port.

“This will take hours.” Donghae said while looking at Dara who’s eating silently. You can transfer at the back if you want to sleep.”

Dara swallowed the food on . “It’s okay.”

Donghae just sighed, and nod silently. He’s afraid… afraid on what will happen after this 24-hour with her. He remains silent, waiting for their turn. Escaping is a good un-planned plan for them: escaping the reality, escaping the truth, escaping the pain. They had a lot of s in life- in academics and family- and having this one is a break.

I really hope you’ll figure it out soon, Dara…

 

***

A slight tap on her cheeks woke up Dara from her heavy sleep. She has no idea that she slept for the whole trip. As she opens Daras’ eyes, she saw a smiling Donghae: his smile is genuine that recently she hasn’t seen. She smiled at him.

“We’re already here?” She asked, looking outside.

Donghae just nod. “Were here at my parents’ villa.” He unbuckle Daras’ seat belt. “Let’s go outside so that we can easily change.”

Donghae went out of the car and opens the door for Dara. Daras’ heart melted because of his simple act of being a gentleman. Donghae is far way different from Jiyong- by all means. “Thanks.” She said, giving him a smile.

“No problem.” Donghae said. He reached for Daras’ hands- reaching from her palm down to her fingers- and intertwined them. He’s smiling widely, proudly walking with towards their villa, while holder the girl he loves’ hand.

Dara looked at Donghae. He’s holding her hand and it’s giving her stirred emotions, electric but at the same time, a warm and safe feeling. She already felt this way back when she’s seventh grade with Jiyong. She can compare it with the way Jiyong holds her hand recently- Jiyongs’ hands is cold and it’s holding her hands as if it’s just a requirement. Far way different the way Donghae holds her hand making her asses herself. Is Donghae worth the shot?

“Donghae…” she said, almost a whisper.

Donghae just grinned at her His eyes were sparkling with too much emotion. But what’s making her shock is the fact that his eyes sparks and looks at her with love in it.  “We’re here at Jeju, no one knows. You are my girlfriend for 24-hours, okay?”

Dara just sighed and gave Donghae a warm smile. She bit her lower lip because what they’re doing right now is making her happy. With trembling knees, they headed towards Donghaes’ parents villa. The villa speaks about wealth: the furniture, painting, everything. Too far from Donghaes’ image of an average college guy. How did he hide his true identity?

“When your parents did buy this property?” she asked as she roams around her gaze.

“About five years ago. They came back five years ago and stayed here.” Donghae said in a sad tone. “The villa is named after me and well, technically I can have this after college.”

Dara just nod and walked towards the grand piano located near the stairways. She held one of the pictures frames in at and saw a young boy, smiling at the camera, while holding a baseball bat. She already knew that it was Donghae- the way his eyes smile and his lips twitched. “How old are you in this picture?” Dara asked. She let Donghae saw the picture and smiled at him. “You look so cute here, Donghae.”

Donghae cant help- his cheeks were now turning red. “T-thank you. That was when I went to States to watch a baseball game when I was six.”

Dara nod and put down the picture frame. She has no idea how rich Donghae was- or his parents was. After all, earning dollars makes a person get rich. She knew that both of his parents have their own family and their own businesses. Her mother is in-line with clothing line and his father is in-line with cooking. But Donghae chooses to take another path by studying architecture.

She looked at all the picture displayed in the grand piano. There were pictures of him with his family but what catches Daras’ attention is his graduation picture in high school with Jiyong, Kiko and some unknown guys. She’s staring at it and noticed how Jiyong and Kiko smile: Jiyong held Kikos’ shoulder while Kiko puts’ her head on his shoulder. Her hands were trembling and she doesn’t know why.

“High school graduation.” Donghae said. He’s now beside her and saw how her eyes watered and her hands trembled. “All of us already knew that something is going on between Jiyong and Kiko and by looking at it by now, it speaks a lot.”

Dara bit her lower lip and smiled bitterly. She remembers how Jiyong told her that Kiko and him were just best of friends.  She saw that a tear fell on the picture frame and got shocked as she places back the picture frame back to its original place.

Donghae saw the tear she shed and he can’t help it but be sad about the situation. He lifted up her head by holding her chin and cups her face. He can still see the pain in her eyes and he wanted- badly- to ask why. But he knew better. Dara loves me… Dara loves me. Donghae said to himself. “Too much for that pictures.” He said. He smiled at her, wiping the tears on her cheeks. “We are here to enjoy ourselves, right? We are here to escape the ty life in Seoul so we shouldn’t be thinking about them. Okay?”

Dara just nod and smiled at Donghae. Escape… yeha, this is our sweet escape. She said as she stares at Lee Donghaes’ eyes. You are my sweet escape Donghae…

 

***

 

Dara has no idea to where they are heading right now. All she knew is the fact that Donghae is taking her to his favorite place.

“Where is your favorite place, Donghae?” she asked. She wanted to talk and forget the emotion she let out awhile ago. She’s scared of that emotion and she wanted to forget about it. What was that all about? What the hell is wrong with me? She asked herself. I thought I don’t love Jiyong anymore? She sighed. Am I wrong?

Donghae held Daras’ hand while the other hand is busy driving. He smiled at her. “My moms friend owns a resort near my favorite place so we’re heading there.  I already called her that we are heading to Jeju and asked her if we can stay there on her resort.”

Daras’ eyes widened. She has no idea that they’ll be staying there and to his mother’s friends’ resort! She’s afraid what would be her reaction and she’s afraid of it. Donghae saw how shocked Dara was so he just smiled at her. “She’s nice, don’t worry.”

Dara just nod and kept silent. The drive was not that long and she saw a very beautiful resort. They entered to the resort after parking the car. Donghae immediately intertwined their hands- like it’s the most natural thing he’ll ever do in his life- and started walking. She was nervous, nervous as hell, because she’s afraid of what she’ll say about her.

They entered the premises and went to the reception area. “Have you seen Tita around?” Donghae asked. Dara already knew that Donghae is known in this place.

The receptionist smiled at them. “Mrs. Kim isn’t around yet.”

Donghae just nod her head. “I see. Oh by the way, this is my girlfriend, Sandara.” Donghae said to the receptionist.

“Hello.” Dara said, shyly.

“Oh, at last! Donghae already introduced a very beautiful lady to me!” she exclaimed, forgetting that she has to work first. “You’ll be staying here?”

Donghae nod. “Just for 24-hour.”

“Why?”

“Need to go back to Seoul. School.”

“I see. You’ll go to your sanctuary?”

“Yep.”

The receptionist just smiled. “Welcome to Sweet Haven, Sir and Ma’am. Please enjoy your stay here.”

Donghae and her just smiled and went outside. They went outside and held the van. She has no idea where the ‘sanctuary’ is the receptionist and Donghae is telling her but she trust Donghae. She remained silent and tries to absorb all of it. She looked at the view and got mesmerized by the view. It was breathtaking view: the rock formation, the landscaping and the trees surrounded the resort.

“You liked it? Mrs. Kim is a very good architecture.”

“She designed this?” She asked, partly shocked.

“Yep. She’s an architect and she’s the reason why I took up architecture.” Donghae said while smiling. Dara can see admiration on his face. “And we’re heading to my ‘sanctuary’.”

Dara just remained silent and waited for the van to stop. A little while the van stopped in the middle of the road. Daras’ eyebrows furrowed and looked at Donghae. “Why did we stop?”

Donghae just smiled at her and gently squeezes her hand. “We’re now at my sanctuary.”

They went outside the van. Donghae removed his shirt, revealing his fair yet muscled tummy. Dara has no idea that Donghae has one because she hasn’t seen him ever since they shared their friendship. “W-why are you removing your shirt?” she nervously asked.

Donghae just smiled at her, getting rid of his watch, his necklace- the one she also wore- and his phone. “Do not bring anything Dara.”

“W-why?”

Donghae just gave her a knowing smile. “A surprise is a surprise. Leave your phone and the necklace on the van. Hurry, my ‘sanctuary’ is waiting for us.”

Dara has no idea but she chooses to do what she’s told to do so. After doing it, the van left them and Donghae dragged her. “W-where are we going Donghae?”

“Trust me, okay? Do you trust me?” Dara slowly nod and stares at Donghae. She trusts him… more than anyone in this world. “Then, we’ll walk for a bit and then you’ll see what will happen next.”

After a little while, Daras’ eyes widened and the view takes her breath away. The view is very beautiful and she has no idea how to explain it. They’re now at the top of a man-made falls filled with large stones and huge trees. She can see birds flying and can hear their tweeting sound. She hold her hand and gasp.

“Wow!” she exclaimed. “Just… wow!”

Donghae just chuckled upon hearing her reaction. “I made the design for this part of her resort.”

“Really?”

Donghae nod. “Yep. That was when I was in first year college.”

Dara roam around her gaze and indeed, it took her breath away. The sky is blue, reflecting the waters on the gorund. This is daebak! She exclaimed. Donghae stares at Dara and smiled. For a long time, he haven’t seen her smile like this and he’s happy he’s the reason of her smile.

“Now, I have to do something.”

“Huh?”

Donghae removed his slippers and place them in between his elbows. “I made this to satisfy my obsession.”

“What do you mean?”

“Remember our conversation at your dorm? To what are my obsessions in life?” Dara nod. “I told you I have to obsessions in life: one is cliff diving and two is loving someone secretly.”

Dara nod and remember the conversation they had. Her eyes widened upon realizing what Donghae was about to do. “But you don’t know how to swim!” she exclaimed. “You don’t have a life vest Donghae!”

Donghae smirked. “But you know how.”

Daras’ eyes widened. She shook her head as a sign that she’s not agreeing to him. “No… no Donghae.”

Donghae smiled. “I have to tell you something.”

“What?!”

I love you…” Donghae said while looking in her eyes. “I love you Dara and now I am blackmailing you. I will jump.”

“NO!”

“Love is about taking risk. I will jump to prove to you how much I love you. Now, if I didn’t get drowned, I will explain everything but if not, then so be it.”

“Are you crazy?! You will die Donghae!”

“Not when you will jump too and save me.”

Daras’ eyes widened. She shook her head. “I can’t do that! You know I’m scared of heights!”

Donghae smiled at her. “Love is about taking risk…” he went closer to her and cups her face. He slowly cut the distance between them and kissed her lips lightly. “Take a risk, Dara. Take the risk, with me…”

“Donghae!” Dara exclaimed.

Donghae jumped to the man-made falls and seconds later she hears a splash on the lower part. She looked down and hasn’t seen Donghaes’ body. She trembled and didn’t think of anything. Donghae! She jumped, with her eyes closed tightly, and when she felt that her body touched the water she opens her eyes and search for Donghae.

“Donghae! Donghae!” she keeps on shouting. She looked around and still hasn’t seen him. Her eyes were watery and she was crying. “Donghae! Donghae!”

But he didn’t respond. She cried because of too much emotion. But she was stunned as she saw Donghae in front of her, smiling at her. Without thinking, she immediately hugs him tightly. “Donghae!”

“Dara…”

“Why did you do that? Are you out of your mind? Huh?!”

“You took the risk…”

“Damn it! I thought I will loose you…” she said, still hugging him, while crying. “Damn it! I love you Donghae, please, don’t do that again…” she whispered.