Last Night (BW - 17)

Forever Till The End

FTTE 2026 Feb

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

80. LAST NIGHT - (BYONG’S WEDDING – 17)

 

Our time in Jeju passed in caring for our guests, families and Puppy’s business planning. Soon it was the eve before the wedding. We watched as Minho and Eunha danced together. Since their lunch date, they had all their meals together. Rest of the time, they were glued at the hip. When asked for details, Minho would give us a supercilious look and walk away with a curt, “Mind your own business.”

Eunha was equally tight lipped and refused to elucidate on her budding relationship with Minho. When Heechul threatened to fire her, Eunha just raised her brows at us and mimed zipping of lips while shrugging her shoulders carelessly. It was really frustrating to watch Minho and Eunha together without knowing what they were thinking and doing. Kibum finally resorted to checking the security recordings to follow their movements. Heechul sighed in relief to note that the mysterious couple did not share any intimacy.

The same couldn’t be said for Kiwoo and Suzy. Amber pointed out Suzy entering Kiwoo’s room every night and leaving at daybreak. We smirked and wondered how Minx would respond to knowing that her darling brother-in-law was no shy . Amber giggled and let out the truth, “You are losing your capacity to think in your old age. Didn’t you note the irony in her voice every time she called Kiwoo a ? Sehun and Minx just like riling up Kiwoo.” We stared at her and wondered whether she was right and we were getting too old to understand our children.

The said children were least bothered about our thoughts. They had planned a joint bachelor and bachelorette party for Byong and Duckie. All we knew was that the event was for those aged between 20 and 30 only. Anyone above the age of 30 was invited only if single. Minho wanted to attend, pointing out his single status. The youngsters changed it to ‘invitation above 30 only if never married’. Minho pouted till we sent him to dance with Eunha. Kiwoo got Sehun to invite Suzy also to the party. Harry was denied entry even as Jae-Mizui’s date. He harassed Viktor and Brenda the entire time to know their relationship status.

When Jaejoong tried to sneak into the party, he got his ears twisted by Minx. Yunho spent the evening using that as a pretext to on Jaejoong’s earlobes. Every time Yunho did that, we could hear Junsu’s unique laughter clearly ring above the din of merriment of our guests. By the end of dinner, Soo’s sons had managed to get Yixing drunk. Then it was Ji’s turn to twist drunken Jaejoong’s ears.

“Please don’t hurt my wife. Twist my ears instead,” Yunho slurred to Jiyeon.

“I am not a girl. I am not going to be anyone’s wife,” Jaejoong punched Yunho in the abdomen. Leaving Yunho doubled up and in pain, he turned to Ji, “Imo, go ahead and twist. I am a man. I can take the pain.”

Yixing spoke with difficulty, pulling his mother’s arm, “Umma, dontcha do that. See how red they already are. Just like mine. It hurts umma. Why did you twist my ears when I only drank fruit juice? Please kiss them.” When Ji gave his ears another twist he yelped and turned to face Yibo standing behind him. He bent his head and stared at the eight-year-old, “You are a sweet baby. Hyung’s ears hurt. Will you kiss them alright?” Yibo turned red and rubbed his small hands on Yixing’s ears. Yixing actually purred.

Ji got even more upset and she was, by then, joined by Soo. Both sisters took hold of Jaejoong’s ears from either side of him and twisted hard. Teukkie and Beagle intervened and led the boys to their rooms to sleep off their drinking adventures. Next to me, Kibum sighed, “Thank god, our kids are grown. I shudder to think of Joongie influencing them. Poor Ji and Soo!” We nodded and raised our glasses to toast our relief.

With the five troublemakers safe in their rooms and Yixing and Yibo sleeping in their room, we circulated amongst our guests and ensured everyone had a great time. An hour later we found the five teens back in the ballroom, harassing the musicians to play the latest groovy songs. I advised Beagle to make each of them drink a cup of strong coffee to come to their senses and then make them sit near Uncle. Heechul nixed the plan, pointing to Uncle and imo on the dance floor. We couldn’t think of anyone else who wasn’t busy enjoying the last night in Jeju.

Taemin came to the rescue and assigned one of the resort’s security personnel to supervise the kids with orders to shoot without asking any questions, if the boys touched another drink. He even snapped an image of the boys with their eyes fearfully wide and rounded, to show to all of us. Soo kissed his cheek and he patted her head in understanding.

Beagle went to check on the celebrating youngsters to make sure none them got too drunk to end up with hangovers during the ceremony on the day of the wedding, especially the groom and the bride. Taemin decided to rib me about my pre-wedding days 34 years ago. Puppy grinned and added a few choice nuggets of his own wherever there seemed to be a gap in Taemin’s memories. Taemin stared at him in shock and Puppy pecked my lips, “Tae hyung, why are you so surprised. You are talking about my Tokki after all. And I believe no one knows him better than I do.” I kissed Puppy’s shoulder in agreement.

My mother began to sob. She kept wiping her eyes and hiccupping, “Jinki’s son is getting married. I never dreamed to see this day when Jinki got married to Minho.”

Taemin teased our mother, “Umma, how come you never cried when Kai got married?”

She patted his cheek and announced to Kibum’s chagrin, “I always expected a few mini Taemins to crop up somewhere. He is his father’s son.”

Kibum hooked his arm possessively with Taemin’s and remonstrated our mother in a whine that was really embarrassing coming from a man who had lived for over half a century, “Umma, how can you malign hyung’s name like this? He was innocent when we married. And he is a one-man man. You should know your sons better.”

“Kibum, it’s you only who keeps telling me how much like his father Taemin is, every time he gets mad at you,” umma patted Kibum’s cheek next.

“He is his father’s son only when he is angry. Rest of the time he is my husband. And there will never be any other junior Taemins, except Kai, in this world. He is my man only,” Kibum clarified hugging Taemin sideways and kissing him briefly to underline his statement.

Umma laughed and her eyes moved in humor over the two men, “Of course, Kibum. I never said he is your woman. Tsk, tsk, you young men are so touchy. Can’t even take a joke! I am going to sleep now. My clothes for the wedding are with you, right?”

Kibum quickly let go of Taemin and wrapped his arm around umma, “Here, let me help you to your room. Your wedding clothes are in your wardrobe. Don’t worry, I will send Amber to help you dress. You have a good night’s rest so you can look pretty tomorrow. Want me to apply a soothing face pack for you now?” He led my mother away, talking about her hairdo, makeup and all.

Gazing at their retreating backs, I whispered to Puppy, “You know, he makes a better son to her than I ever could. He understands her so much better than I ever will.”

Puppy winked at me and brought his lips to my ear so none could overhear him, “Yet she always comes to you when she wants to buy something. I think both of you fulfill a different need of hers. I would say, she has best of both worlds.”

Before we could discuss it further, imo came and dragged the bunch of us to the dance floor. She insisted that the evening was incomplete without the parents of bride and groom dancing. I blushed and wasn’t sure how some of our guests would react. Puppy pulled me into his arms and began to sway side to side, smiling at me in pure joy. I smiled back at him and looked around to see Heechul and Siwon also dancing with pink faces.

Beagle and Hyukkie decided to put their fingers in their mouths and tease us with loud piercing whistles that could be heard over the music and conversations. Taemin joined them causing an equally loud laughter from our family and friends. I saw censorious looks cast our way from Puppy’s relatives and some of the politicians. But at that moment nothing could dim the joy we felt.

We were about to begin a new chapter of our lives.