Principles

Forever Till The End

14. PRINCIPLES

 

The kids had wanted to camp in our house because the kitchen was set up there. After playing games for a couple of hours, they became hungry and rushed to raid the fridge for a midnight snack. Since the rest of us were also awake and talking, Kibum and I fixed pasta and fried rice for all, not just the kids, and served it with pan fried fish. After the midnight meal, we looked questioningly at Kris and Luhan and wondered if they wanted to crash at our place. Uncle loaned his pajamas to Kris and Luhan borrowed from me.

We made sure all the kids were rolled into their sleeping bags in the living room and turned off the lights. It was nearly two in the night or morning depending on how one looked at it. Ji was still refusing to speak to imo and uncle. She went and slept on one side of our bed. Doc picked up sleeping Junsu and the room was used by Kris and Luhan.

After Jjong and I changed for the night, we went to check on the kids and heard them whispering. The Fearsome Four were talking to Beagle. We stood silently near our room door and listened as it looked like they were grilling him about Ji in their own way.

We heard Kai ask, “Have you kissed her hyung?” to which Beagle indignantly yelped.

Kai laughed, “If it was me I definitely would have tried. But too bad I don’t have a girlfriend to kiss.”

Amber hissed, “Don’t look at me when you say that. I am not your girlfriend. And if that’s all you think of when you look at me, I don’t want to be also.”

Kai asked again, “Sehun have you kissed Minx yet?”

“Of course, I kiss her cheeks and hands all the time.” Sehun happily responded.

“You are so dumb. I meant on the lips.” Kai needled him.

“Are you crazy Kai? Puppy appa will kill me and ummappa will revive me just to kill me all over again. And if by any miracle they leave me alive, I won’t be allowed anywhere near my Minnie again. No thank you. I am happy with the privileges I have for now.” Now it was Sehun who hissed at Kai.

I knew Puppy was just as happy as me to hear Sehun’s response. He squeezed my waist at Sehun’s words.

“Kai what kind of a brother are you? Do you wish to see me remain single through my life? Don’t let appa and ummappa catch you saying that. They will not hesitate to murder Hunnie and I cannot live without him. Hunnie don’t listen to Kai. Keep your promise. They will get us married soon and then we can kiss all the time if we want.” Minx was upset with Kai.

We saw two hands snake out of the sleeping bags and lace the fingers together. We were certain they belonged to Sehun and Minx.

“Oh for god’s sake, you both are such cowards. How will they know if you kiss her Sehun?” Kai persisted.

“We will know. We promised them Kai and we won’t break our promise. They trust us and that means more to us. I know Minnie is mine. Ummappa told me that when the time is right he will talk to Puppy appa and give us permission to kiss. I can wait for the right time. He even told the reporters that I am his future son-in-law. I will not do anything to disappoint them or shame my parents. Call us whatever you want. I am not kissing Minnie on the lips till I get permission.” Sehun was adamant.

Puppy looked at me questioningly on hearing this and I kissed his cheek to let him know I’d explain later. He pecked my lips in understanding.

Minx added, “Kai be glad that my Hunnie has high principles. Why can’t you just be happy for us instead of provoking us to do wrong all the time?”

“I think he envies you.” Chan Yeol answered Minx.

“Ha, so they wish. High principles don’t get you anywhere in life. Appa says one has to break rules to be successful.” Kai softly responded trying to sound derisive.

“You follow your own code Kai and I will live by mine. I have the love of the most beautiful and wonderful girl in the world. I am not going to lose her for a kiss. Neither am I willing to lose my second set of loving parents. I consider myself the luckiest guy in the world. I want to kiss Minnie. But I will do it only when Puppy appa gives his permission. I can wait for however long they want me to. Minnie is and always will be mine.” Sehun’s soft whisper amplified his conviction.

Kai snorted and said good night.

Chan Yeol spoke after a few minutes, “You have made the right decision Sehun. Don’t change it. Jjong appa and ummappa are very nice people. You are lucky that you are going to be their son-in-law. Don’t do anything to break their confidence in you. You will never be able to regain broken trust. You are so very lucky.” He gave a huge sigh with his last words.

Sehun acknowledged his words, “I know hyung.” And advised him in return, “You’ve known Ji noona only a few days but I can see how much you love her. Don’t worry, she will also love you back one day. Imo-halmeoni and imobu-harabeoji are also very nice people. When they know you more, they will also love you like they love me. Umma says Jjong appa and ummappa are together only because of them. They accepted Jjong appa into the family even before ummappa loved him. When both fell in love, they didn’t care about anyone and asked Jjong appa to move in with ummappa. Many neighbors stopped talking to them after that. But they didn’t care. Ummappa has been living with them for more than eleven years, since Minx was two years old, even though his parents live in Daegu only. Minnie told me but I can’t tell you what’s wrong. I can only tell you that Jjong appa and ummappa will live with them always. Where will you live when you get married? I don’t think imo-halmeoni will agree to send noona to live in Seoul.”

Chan Yeol was silent for few minutes digesting everything that Sehun said. “I live in Seoul because my work is there. I think with my skills I can always find work in Daegu. I am not sure if my parents will shift to Daegu because appa’s company does not have any branches there. I will live and work wherever noona wants me to.”

“You will leave cyber squad for noona if you have to shift to Daegu?” Sehun asked.

“If they cannot shift me to Daegu then yes I will leave my current job.”

“What if imo-halmeoni asks you to live with them after marriage? Like ummappa and appa live with them.” Minx asked.

“If my parents remain in Seoul, I will live wherever noona wants to live. The choice will be hers. I just want to be with her.”

“Won’t your parents mind?” Minx asked again.

“It will be only for a few years till my father retires. I will leave the choice to them. They will always be welcome to live with us if they want.”

“What about your national service hyung?” Sehun asked.

“If I leave cyber squad I will have to enlist. But it’s only for less than two years. I will have to discuss with noona first. What about you?”

“I don’t know. I have talked with Minx and we think its better that I do it straight after school. Then I can do my medical studies and marry her also without having to go away again. I have to see what our parents say about it at that time.”

“Two years is a long time Sehun. It will be very difficult not seeing you every day. Why can’t the rules change?” Minx sounded sad.

“Don’t worry Minnie. Two years will pass quickly and then we’ll be together forever. I will write to you every day. I will always carry your picture near my heart. I know I just have to close my eyes and you will be in front of me. I just hope that Puppy appa gives us permission to kiss before I leave. I don’t want to die without kissing you Minnie.”

“Don’t talk of dying Hunnie. You promised you will be with me forever.  I cannot bear the thought of anything happening to you. Promise me you will keep yourself safe and not take any risks? If you don’t come back, I will follow you and we will be together in heaven.” Minx began crying and turned in her sleeping bag and hugged Sehun.

Sehun wrapped her in his arms and tried to comfort her. “I love you Minnie. Nothing will happen to me. We will have a long life together and the ten kids you want. Don’t cry Minnie, please. I love you.”

“I love you too Hunnie.” Minx said after she’d calmed down.

We waited for more but everyone was silent even after ten minutes. Minx and Sehun had fallen asleep embracing each other.

Jjong and I crept back into our room. Ji was fast asleep. I tucked the blanket around her, and then pulled Jjong into the bathroom. He locked the door and kissed me.

“We are very lucky,” I whispered when we surfaced for some air.

“Hmmm, two good boys for our girls. So, you were going to talk to me to let Sehun kiss Minx. When?” Puppy removed my clothes as he grilled me.

“Don’t know. Depends on when you think it’s the right time. Maybe 18 or before he enlists?” I pulled him up for another kiss.

“I can live with that. What if he wants to marry her then? He can marry at that age.” Puppy lifted me to sit on the counter.

“I can live with that. She will be next door to us.” I wrapped my legs around him.

“We’ll discuss them later.” Puppy kissed me to silence as he loved me quietly.

I was more than happy to oblige him. After all it was very to make love in the bathroom with a house full of people. I wrapped myself tight around him to show my appreciation.

“I love you jagi.”

“I love you too yeobo.”