Mrs & Mr Oh Sehun

Forever Till The End

43.  Mrs & Mr Oh Sehun

 

“Sunshine, you have ten minutes to kiss the bride.”

As soon as I heard Puppy, I gave him a big hug. He whispered in my ear, “I didn’t want their first kiss to be in front of a thousand people. They deserve some privacy for keeping their promises for eleven years.”

“You are such a wonderful father, jagi.” I tried not to let my emotions overwhelm me again.

“Show me your gratitude later at night, yeobo. Now come, I have another big surprise waiting for you.” Puppy gave me a quick kiss and pulled me back into the wedding hall. He called some one on his phone and said, “It’s time.”

My questioning looks were ignored as he went to supervise the people who were taking away the low wooden table we had used for the traditional ceremony. Uncle and he held a whispered conversation while I answered Hyemi noona’s concerned questions about the missing newlyweds. Noona winked at me on knowing the reason.

After a few minutes, Uncle and Puppy began clapping their hands to gain everyone’s attention and called Taemin to join them in front of the entire gathering. Uncle quickly made Taemin turn his back to the hall entrance and we all watched as a huge cake was wheeled in. I smiled in happiness. They had arranged to celebrate Taemin’s birthday which was on the same day.

There were loud gasps from our family and friends. Taemin became emotional when he was finally allowed by Uncle to face the commotion, and he saw the size of the cake. Kibum and Heechul came to admire the cake. Since ten minutes were over, Puppy sent Beagle to call Minx and Sehun so they could attend the celebrations as well. Amidst chants of birthday song in various languages, Taemin blew the candles and cut the cake.

Uncle, Beagle and Puppy hi-fived at the success of their planning. When not a crumb of the cake remained, we crammed into the few changing rooms to dress for the modern wedding. As Sehun and Minx took longer to dress for the occasion, the rest of us checked each other’s appearance and took our places in the wedding hall to greet the new guests.

There was an endless stream of guests for the wedding. From the hagwon franchisees and staff, Jinhee mothers’ club members, Police Agency colleagues and seniors, political bigwigs, classmates of our children, and friends and colleagues of Ohs, the wedding hall was nearly overflowing with people. I knew that the list was huge but actually seeing so many people travel the distance of Korea to attend the wedding was a surprise for me.

It was near the end of guest line that Minho appeared with his family. Inviting Minho two months ago was full of its own drama. Minho had wanted to give away the bride and stand in Puppy’s place for all the father’s rituals. I even had a very bitter argument about it with him and had barred his calls on my phone for two weeks. Puppy had calmed me down and explained to Minho about his choices to attend the wedding on our terms or not attend it at all. Then had come daily rants from Minho about marrying off Minx at a tender age. He went silent only when I threatened to bar his calls again.

Minx settled all arguments from Minho with a simple solution. According to her, Minho could take Puppy’s place in the wedding and also bear the cost of the wedding which had nearly a thousand guests, including travel costs for many of our international friends. Minho didn’t call us again after that. Puppy and Minx had celebrated with Heechul and Siwon by opening bottles of champagne. Father and daughter had one glass each and I drank two. Kibum got drunk, happy that Amber was away from Minx’s influence, safe in the Police University in Seoul.

Puppy lightly pinched my back to bring me back to the present. As we welcomed him, I noticed that Minho’s appearance had greatly improved in the past decade, since I last saw him. I guessed it must be due to the influence of the young woman walking arm in arm with him. Minho had already informed us that he would be attending with his new wife. Puppy and I looked at each other when we realized Minho, who had completed 50 years, had married a woman nearly half his age. We greeted both of them and Minho’s parents. Puppy requested Taemin to show them to their reserved seats with rest of our family, but away from imo.

As Minho’s wife walked away, she looked back and stared at Siwon who was whispering something to Heechul. Both, Puppy and I, caught her longing look at our friend. Puppy whispered to me, “Yeobo, she is twice divorced at the young age of 23. Her father owns a chain of private hospitals in Incheon and Seoul. I think we both can see why she married Minho a few months ago. Guess, Minho finally met his match and both seem well suited to each other.”

I grinned at Puppy’s words, “It will be entertaining to watch her, if her entrance is any indication. But, better keep her away from Beagle. I don’t want Ji to suffer from needless anxiety attacks. She is in her fourth month and does not need unnecessary worries.” Puppy smiled at my words and nodded.

Soo came bustling in to call us to the bride’s dressing room. Ji and Soo were supervising Minx’s dressing for the modern wedding. As everyone took their seats, we knew it was time to give away our daughter. Puppy laced his fingers with mine and we walked to find our daughter for the last time that day.

We looked into Sehun’s room and saw him surrounded by his groomsmen, all the hahm bearers. Kiwoo was his Best Man. Together, Puppy and I hugged and kissed Sehun who looked very handsome in a white satin tuxedo with delicately embroidered lapels.

“Sunshine, we are giving our greatest treasure to you today. Keep her loved and happy always.” Puppy whispered with a dry sob.

“I will appa. You have my promise.” Sehun assured Puppy.

“We are always there for both of you. You can come to us anytime if you have any problems.” I softly assured our young son-in-law. “Your life ahead will be full of ups and downs. Love each other through all phases of life. If you are there for each other, even the thorny patches of life will become a bed of roses.”

Sehun nodded at my advice and Puppy continued, “Forgive each other the mistakes and focus only the love you feel. Remain one in heart, mind and soul. Life will be a beautiful journey then.”

Sehun bent his head so we could kiss his cheeks. He smiled and kissed us back. Then blushed and whispered to Puppy, “Thank you appa for the ten minutes.”

We patted his back and he left the room to take his place in the wedding hall. We watched as his groomsmen . “Oppa are you coming or not?” Soo called us from Minx’s room. I laced my fingers with Puppy and we heeded Soo’s call.

One look at our babygirl and we forgot to breathe. She looked stunning in her white silk, full-skirted bridal gown. It was delicately embroidered all over with seed pearls as tiny roses. Her hair were done up in a complicated style with wisps of hair framing her face. She had only a light make up on to enhance her already happily glowing face.

We squeezed our laced fingers to give each other silent courage to hold on and not begin shedding tears. Together we hugged our baby and kissed her. We advised her, the same as Sehun. She nodded to everything but when I mentioned being one, she quickly asked, “Umappa you forgot to mention one in body.”

Her bridesmaids began giggling at her words. Puppy and I flushed red and Minx pinched our cheeks. “Oh look they are blushing. It is my wedding and my fathers are the ones going red. Ooh so cute!” Her comments were met with soft teasing laughter from all the females gathered in the room.

Amber who was the Maid of Honor looked at her watch and reminded us to hurry up. Minx put her arms through both our arms and began marching Puppy and me to the door. “Hurry up appa and ummappa. We cannot keep Hunnie waiting for me.”

Oh my god! Puppy and I had exactly twenty steps to make sure that we walked her down the aisle, instead of Minx marching us forward. “Babygirl, slow down, Sehun is not running away from the ceremony.” Puppy exclaimed.

I looked at Soo and Ji, “Didn’t you teach her anything about being demure today?” The sisters only shrugged their inability.

Minx threatened, “Stop wasting time both of you. If you don’t hurry up, I will go alone.”

Flanking both her sides, Puppy and I looked at each other. As one, we held on tight to her arms and slowed down our steps. Soo immediately put Duckie to walk in front of Minx with her basket of flowers, followed by the bridesmaids. Being last in the line, Minx had no other option but to match our slow steps. We forgot all other emotions and focused on one thing alone. We had to keep Minx in check so as not to embarrass Sehun’s parents with her impatient race down the aisle.

When we reached Sehun, we let Minx’s arms go and Puppy put her hand in Sehun’s. We said in unison, “Always love each other.”

We took our seats and watched the quick ceremony. Sehun showed proper restraint when it was time to kiss the bride and gave Minx only a soft peck on the lips. They beamed at each other and faced the guests with big happy smiles. There were many teary eyes in our extended family. Imo was openly crying and Hyemi noona tried to console her.

Photographer got everyone to pose with the bride and groom. When done, our guests were guided into the reception lunch that was arrqanged in the banquet hall down the corridor.

Food and drinks flowed freely. There was no expense spared in the arrangements. I looked around proud of my Puppy. My eyes caught on Minho and his wife, both appeared nearly drunk to me. Minho was chatting with some female guests while his wife was simpering at Siwon as Heechul scowled at her. Puppy put his arm around my waist and pulled me to dance with him to the soft music that was playing.

Heechul ushered Siwon also to dance, and away from the female piranha, aka Minho’s wife. They glided to dance near us. “Jinx I told you not to invite Minho. His wife is making it impossible for me to enjoy the wedding. It appears she has set her eyes on Simba as her fourth husband.” Heechul whined.

“I am sorry Cinder. Puppy and I will think of a solution.” I smiled reassuringly at my best friend.

We left the dance floor and searched for Yixing with a glass of wine in our hand and a cup of soy sauce. Yixing was dancing with his parents. We coached him to walk past Minho’s wife, pour the wine on her dress and run to Beagle. After repeating a few times, we were sure Yixing got it perfectly. We walked him to our victim, approaching her from the back. Beagle went to stand in front of her, though a short distance away. Our plan was executed perfectly and soon Minho’s wife was left standing with a red-stained dress.

I went to help her wipe off the wine. Only to make matters worse. “Oh dear, I am so sorry! I forgot I was wiping off the soy sauce from my sister’s dress a few minutes ago.” I looked at the napkin in my hand and at an even worse off dress. I smiled apologetically at Minho’s wife. “Please get it dry cleaned and send me the bill.”

“Clumsy fool. How did Minho bear with you for so many years?” I caught her barely audible mutters as she looked at her dress skirt which not only had a huge wine stain but an equally bad soy sauce stain. She glared at me and went to find Minho. Not even five minutes later, the whole family said bade us farewell. Both Minho and his father were drunk and Minho’s wife was silently fuming, shooting daggers at me with her eyes.

Heechul hugged me in thanks and Siwon patted Puppy’s back. Puppy, Beagle and I hi-fived. All of us kissed nearly two-year-old Yixing till he was squirming to get out of our arms. Beagle left Yixing with us and went to dance with Ji. Youngsters had caught hold of the DJ and were making him play the latest groovy songs.

The food tables were arranged around the periphery of the huge room and the entire center area of the huge hall was made available for dancing. With a combination of slow and fast songs, the DJ had all our guests dancing and toasting the newlyweds. We mingled to make sure every guest was enjoying the reception party. By the time a five-tier wedding cake was cut and eaten and more dancing done, it was evening and half our guests were drunk.

Beagle and Kiwoo, totally sober, came to talk to Puppy. They left with the hahm box to make sure that the honeymoon arrangements were perfect. We had booked the new couple into a nearby luxury hotel for a week. Beagle and Kiwoo would check the room and then return to take the couple till the hotel lobby, before leaving them alone. We had consulted with Sehun’s parents and they agreed with us that it would be better if we arranged for the honeymoon within the city itself. We were not comfortable sending the youngsters anywhere else alone.

The bridal bouquet was caught by Mayor’s daughter. Amber had hidden away during the bouquet throwing to make sure she didn’t accidentally catch it. DongHae gave her a thumbs up for her fast thinking.

As Minx and Sehun took their leave from us, I whispered to Sehun, “Don’t forget to use your hahm gifts during the week ahead.” He looked at me in confusion but I only smiled.

Once the new couple departed, we didn’t get time to even sort our feelings. Our guests awaited us and Puppy had arranged for an early dinner as well, knowing our guests would feel hungry once again after all the dancing celebrations. We plunged ourselves in looking after our guests and enjoying the party for ourselves also. Thankfully each of our extended family had charge of a group of guests, which made it easier for us and contributed to the success of the wedding and the reception.

One by one our guests departed after dinner. When only a few close family and friends remained, we requested the DJ to play our song requests. Puppy held me in his arms and danced crooning a love song in my ear. I rubbed my cheeks on his hair. A new chapter had begun in our lives.

Puppy and I were now fathers-in-law.