Chocolate Mousse Cake

Forever Till The End

FTTE Family Tree 2023

                                     ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

54. Chocolate Mousse Cake

 

Over a period of next one and a half years, Minho became a regular visitor to our home to play with his grandchildren. Imo learned to tolerate his presence in her home but preferred to pretend that he was invisible.

“Ummappa, are we all meeting tonight at Kai’s place?” Sehun asked as he and Minx brought over the toddlers for Minho. Joohyun made a beeline for Minho while Taeyong rushed to climb on Puppy’s shoulders. Jungkook jumped into my arms without even letting me open the door fully.

“Yes Sunshine. Uncle will come there directly from office.” I kissed Kookie and walked in to sit next to Puppy, leaving it to the couple to quickly close the door against the brisk March wind which still had a chill in it.

“How are you uncle?” Sehun asked Minho while Minx bowed to him in greeting.

“Please call me appa or abeoji, like you call all your other uncles and uncles-in-law. I am your father-in-law after all.” Minho repeated his request for the umpteenth time. He smiled hopefully at Sehun.

“I am sorry uncle, but I still don’t see you as a father figure. I am more scared of Tae appa than you. He and ummappa can kill anyone with just one look.” Sehun gave his patent grin to remove the sting from his words.

When Minho began to pout, Minx laughed, “Don’t pout Minmin appa. Imobu-harabeoji is very happy being called uncle instead of imobu by everyone. And you still call ummappa’s father as uncle instead of abeoji. I don’t see any reason for you to complain.”

I hid my smile by kissing Kookie’s hand. I saw Puppy following my actions but his chuckle was still heard by everyone. Minx rushed to the kitchen to check what was there to eat and returned with a huge slice of chocolate mousse cake that Duckie and I had baked for Amber and Kai.

“Hey that cake was for tonight’s dessert. Duckie is going to be very upset you know.” I grinned at the sight of Minx stuffing her and Sehun’s face with the cake. “Moreover, you will get fat if you eat so much. You really are eating all the time.”

“Blame your son-in-law for giving me intense workouts every night. I think I am actually losing weight,” Minx mumbled as she put another spoonful of mousse in .

“Babygirl, too much information for your appa, I don’t want to know about you and this dweeb. Tokki hold Taetae, I need to wash out my ears and brains.” Puppy glared at Minx and Sehun. Minx grinned at her father’s usual reaction to any hint of her intimacy with her husband and Sehun just laughed at Puppy’s words.

The three toddlers began clamoring for cake as Duckie came sliding down the handrail of the staircase. I smiled at her antics which were so like Minx’s before her marriage. “I heard someone shout for cake.” Duckie said before she saw the cake in Minx’s hand.

“Unnie, I slaved over that cake for tonight. Do you know how difficult it is to make a mousse cake big enough for our family?” Duckie was clearly unhappy.

“There are three more that are untouched and they look sufficient to feed all of us.” Minx smiled unrepentantly at Duckie. Then winked at her father as she continued, “Knowing appa’s penchant for dessert play with ummappa, I am sure ummappa made an extra one.”

Puppy and I turned red and left the room to get mousse cake for everyone but halted in our tracks when we heard Byong agreeing with his sister and shamelessly giving further details.

“You are absolutely right noona. Appa hid it in the refrigerator upstairs.” Byong riled up Puppy even more by yelling at our retreating backs, “Appa it is all gone. Duckie and I ate it. Next time find a better hiding place.”

The four pests laughed at our embarrassment, they could see our necks also turning red. We heard Minho clearing his throat and I turned my head to take a peek at him. He was just as red as us and wondering where to hide his face. Finally he lifted up Joohyun and tickled her tummy with his face to avoid anyone seeing his red and scowling face.

I put a hand on Puppy’s back to guide him back to the living room, “Byong go and get cake for everyone. Stop teasing us or I will put Heechul after you and he won’t let Duckie date you anymore. Have some care for our guest and stop embarrassing your parents.”

Puppy groaned when Byong laughed harder as he left to do my bidding. Duckie snorted, “As if umma can stop me from dating the moron. I will share their bedroom again and appa will nag umma into letting me date.”

We remembered the last time Duckie thought of punishing Heechul and slept for a week between Heechul and Siwon. Siwon literally pulled his hair out by the end of the week and ordered Heechul to never deny their demon daughter anything in future.

“You are even more evil than our Minx,” Puppy shuddered at the thought of us receiving the same treatment after her marriage with Byong.

“Minx is not evil,” Minho defended his daughter by mumbling with his face still pressed into Joohyun’s tummy.

“You don’t know anything about her brain, uncle. She is a genius in evil schemes.” Sehun hugged his wife proudly and she put the last bit of cake in his mouth for calling her a genius.

Byong returned with cake and Duckie served it to the children first who insisted on eating it on their own. Puppy and I got time to recover our composure as the older four demons got busy with cleaning after the three kids. Minho tried not to show his displeasure at the reminder of intimacy between Puppy and me. Puppy immediately put an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him, in a silent display of possession. He wasn’t insecure but wanted to let Minho that we belonged together and Minho had no right to be jealous over me.

Minho kept staring at us till I kissed Puppy’s cheek with a smile which made Minho uncomfortably look at the cake in his hands. Puppy turned and lightly pecked my lips. We usually refrained from such display of affection in front of our family but Minho’s presence was an exception to our rule. He needed such constant silent reminders to keep him in his place as my ex-partner. I had to constantly let him know with my actions and words that I loved Jonghyun and there was no place for anyone else in my mind and heart.

“Appa stop kissing ummappa. You have enough time at night for that,” Minx grinned at Puppy’s scowl at her next effort to embarrass us. “Tell me if you know why Key umma is so hyper and excited in the office nowadays.”

“I know but I won’t tell you. It’s a secret that you don’t deserve to know until you learn not to tease your appa,” Puppy pouted. Even after 22 years together, I found his every expression adorable.

Minho concentrated on eating his cake and did not look at us. I glanced at our laughing kids and wondered. Sehun handed us a single slice to share and whispered, “Appa don’t mind their teasing. They do it to remind Minho uncle that you both are together and love each other. Sometimes, it appears as if he still has hopes of reconciliation with ummappa and them becoming a couple again.”

Puppy gave a blinding smile to him. Sehun had confirmed what I was thinking a moment ago. However, we were diverted when the three toddlers began running around after consuming a load of sugar. Minho became busy with them. I thought about pulling Puppy to our bedroom upstairs but contended with running my fingers on his spine.

The babies had coined their own names for us. We were Tokki-harabeoji, Puppy-harabeoji and Minmin-harabeoji. For the rest, names were added to their first names or nicknames before referring to them, like Soo-halmeoni, Tae-harabeoji. Joohyun insisted everyone call her Irene because she was a big fan of her aunt Amber and wanted a name like hers. Jungkook was fond of eating cookies and earned the moniker Kookie. Taeyong refered to himself as Taetae and the name stuck.

Since the birth of our grandchildren, Kibum had begun harassing Amber and Kai for a granddaughter. Just the day before, Kibum had jumped and informed us that his wish was being granted and Amber was a few weeks pregnant. The dinner was to celebrate the news and that was why I had roped in Duckie to prepare chocolate mousse cakes which were Amber’s favorite.

When we reached my parent’s house in the evening, cars were already lined up outside indicating we were not the first to arrive. The dinner was filled with laughter and fun, which was how all our family dinners were. However, the usual jabs at Kai and Amber to have children were missing. I looked at Amber carefully but could find hardly any difference in her. She neither had a pregnancy glow nor did she look piqued.

Puppy and I noted that she did become picky with her food and kept removing bits of meat from her food, eating only the vegetables, noodles and rice. Kai accepted all the meat that she put in his plate and muttered, “Baby you need to eat meat or you will become weak.”

“Ugh, I can’t tolerate the taste of meat anymore. Please don’t ask me to eat it,” Amber whispered back. Her words caught the attention of Minx and Sehun who were sitting on her other side. I could see their mental wheels turning to process the information. They stopped eating and looked at Amber and Kai.

Kai sought Kibum’s help, “Umma prepare separate portions for her from now on. She is not eating any meat.”

To everyone’s surprise Kibum smiled widely at Amber and nodded his head. All his frowns at Amber’s lack of cooking skills had disappeared. He stood up and took Amber’s plate. Quickly separating all the meat from it, he added more vegetables and put it back in front of her with a kiss on top of her head.

“Thank you umma,” Amber smiled at Kibum and munched on her food happily.

“Amber!” There were loud screeches from Soo and Minx.

Amber startled and looked at them. She opened to speak but Kibum beat her to it and yelled, “Yah! Don’t scare her like that. It’s not good for her.”

“What do you mean it will scare her? Minx noona screams at me all the time but I don’t worry. Neither should Amber noona. She has a gun while umma and Minx noona don’t.” Joongie spoke with a mouth full of food, earning a whack on his back from Leeteuk to not spit food on the table.

“You are an idiot Joongie,” Soo scolded her younger son. “Eat your food quietly or I will ask Junsu to tape your mouth shut.” Joongie pouted at her and shut his mouth remembering the last family dinner when Junsu had indeed put a tape on his mouth on his mother’s order.

“Unnie, are you what I am thinking you are?” Minx exclaimed in a loud whisper. She poked Amber’s cheek when her words were ignored.

“Yah! Let me eat in peace all of you. Ask umma. I don’t know anything. Stop disturbing my dinner,” Amber made a face and continued eating. She didn’t even bother to tell which ‘umma’ she was alluding to – Key or Hee.

Heechul grinned when DongHae scowled at Amber’s lack of manners. Kai just smiled moronically as he gazed at his wife who was busy stuffing her face with bits of vegetables. Taemin also ate as if nothing of importance was happening around him and continued to discuss with our father about their recent acquisition of another hotel in Japan. Imo and umma giggled and whispered to each other.

Kibum looked at Aunt Hee Young. Hyukkie’s parents attended our family dinners only when it was Hyukkie’s turn to host them. Their presence at the dining table indicated a special occasion. Our aunt cleared and then put everyone’s doubts at rest.

“We will have a little Amber or little Kai blessing our family in November beginning.”

There were surprised and happy exclaimations from every part of the table. Minx and Sehun hi-fived each other and then Sehun got up to thump Kai on his back, almost dunking his face in the food in front of him. DongHae and Hyukkie sat silent in shock. Kibum beamed as if Amber’s pregnancy was his own personal achievement. Heechul and Siwon observed everyone’s reactions with Puppy and me.

Imo and uncle teased Taemin for still wanting to discuss business with my father. Appa, raised his water glass and said, “Cheers! Let’s celebrate the upcoming birth of next Lee generation.” Everyone had learned to raise their water glasses when my father did that. We mimicked him and there were loud yells of ‘cheers’ from all the kids around the table.

Amber continued to eat without pause, creating ripples of laughter at the table. Dinner was full of loud chatter after that. DongHae and Hyukkie recovered sufficiently to hug Kai and Amber before returning to the food in front of them when Amber pushed them away in annoyance.

Puppy and I looked at each other. “Oh dear, she is going to be a grouch,” I muttered under my breath.

“Kai looks happy enough for both of them.” Puppy rubbed my thigh under the table.

“Also Bummie.”

“Its good Kai is not crying like me.”

“Thank god for small favors. Amber would shoot him otherwise.”

“Wait for labor. There is a good chance she will still shoot him.” We chuckled at the picture Puppy painted for us.

When Duckie and Minx brought out the mousse cakes, Amber turned down a slice. Pregnancy had changed her taste and she couldn’t tolerate anything sweet. DongHae and Hyukkie had double slices to compensate and began discussing baby names because Amber would still not let them hug her.

“Oh lord, stop it you two. Amber will have a daughter, so don’t even bother looking at any other names.” Kibum told the two with complete confidence when they talked of boy names only.

Taemin laughed, “Kitty you do know that you cannot order the gender of our grandchild, right?”

“I am getting a granddaughter, that’s all I know.” Kibum was unconcerned about any efforts to convince him otherwise. “Amber you better produce a girl otherwise I am getting another son who can give me a granddaughter.”

DongHae laughed heartily on hearing that, “Kibum, Amber will kill you if you get her another husband. It has taken her years to train Kai.”

“Key umma don’t worry if noona does not give you a granddaughter. I will have a dozen kids and half of them will be girls. You can choose one from them.” Joongie announced as he wiped chocolate from Joohyun’s hands who was sharing his young uncle’s cake after finishing his own.

Only the loud chatter of three babies was audible in the room as we all stared at Jaejoong. The young boy who was still 2 months short of his eleventh birthday wanted to have a dozen children? Teukkie turned pale at his son’s words. Hyukkie choked and Taemin absently thumped his back hard to get him breathing again. DongHae supported Hyukkie from hitting his head on the table with each hit from Taemin.

Sunwoo hyung laughed and pointed a finger at Minx, “I remember someone else who wanted to have 10 kids. But thankfully, she stopped with three. Jaejoong please go ahead. I will wait for the day you have your twelfth baby.”

“Oh no hyung, please do not encourage him. He is already bratty enough. He will next go and permanently book a room in our hospital for himself.” Leeteuk flushed with embarrassment of his loud-mouthed son.

“Joongie, can you give me three of your babies? I don’t think my Chunnie will like me to have any,” Junsu asked pensively. Puppy and I looked at the 12½-year-old boy.

Puppy gently asked Junsu, “Xia, have you even confirmed with Yoochun if he wants to be your boyfriend?”

“Puppy appa he is my boyfriend. He just does not know it yet,” Junsu gave us a bright confident smile. He was still having Yoochun as his boyfriend in his imagination.

“Xia, you can have four of my babies if you want. But, on one condition only. You must tell Yoochun that he is your boyfriend, tomorrow.” Jaejoong ruffled his elder brother’s hair as if he was the younger one. Jaejoong absolutely refused to use honorifics for Junsu and his neighborhood friends Yoochun and Yunho, who were all older to him by at least a couple of years.

“Ummm, I will tell him. But I am not sure if it can be tomorrow. Sometime this year?” Junsu smiled sweetly at Jaejoong.

“Okay Xia. But you can have my babies only if you tell him.” Jaejoong wagged his finger and Junsu nodded in confirmation.

We watched the exchange between the two boys as Soo and Teukkie began softly groaning. Uncle moaned the loudest in the family at his grandsons’ conversation, “What is happening to today’s generation? Why are their heads only filled with boyfriends and babies?”

“Soo are these my boys? I only thought of academics when I was their age.” Teukkie smiled at Soo as he asked her.

Soo kicked his shins, making him wince, “This is what happens when you marry as an old man. Your genes are completely messed up and created such weird kids. One lives in an imaginary world and the other is turning me grey and wrinkled before time.”

Taemin glared at Jaejoong, who gave him a completely innocent grin, before turning to his pouting partner, “Kitty, it does not matter whether we have a granddaughter or grandson. Be happy that Amber agreed to have one.”

“I don’t know anything. I want a granddaughter,” Kibum refused to listen. He appealed to Heechul to back him up.

“Don’t you dare say anything Hee umma. I will sic Duckie on you again.” Amber’s threat silenced Heechul before he even uttered half a word.

“Sorry Key, I don’t think Simba can survive another week of Duckie sleeping in our bed.” Heechul looked at Siwon who nodded his head but otherwise remained silent. The conversations around the table were crazy enough without his adding anything to them.

Puppy and I enjoyed Kibum’s whining and Heechul’s helplessness. We watched the three toddlers being spoiled by all the elders in the room. We missed the presence of Jiyeon, Chan Yeol and their three children. We fed each other the chocolate mousse cake and sighed regretfully about Duckie and Byong eating away Puppy’s hidden stock that we’d planned to use that night.

“Do you think we can stop on the way to buy some more from a bakery?” Puppy whispered hopefully.

I smiled and nodded happily. My Puppy was the best.