Madness

Forever Till The End

33. MADNESS

 

As soon as everyone put in their bags in the allotted cabins, we laid down one simple rule that no one will go on bush walk alone. Jjong, Marc, Kris and Luhan spoke with the Park Manager and arranged for lunch in two hours time and an outdoor barbecue dinner. They returned with games equipment. Our Fearsome Four and Sam’s boys rushed to include themselves in the basketball teams captained by Luhan and Kris. Gina and Marc decided to play tennis. Xing walked around the area with Soo, Doc, Ji and Beagle.

Jjong and I relaxed with Duckie, Byong and Junsu, sunning in the chairs and looking at the photographs of their adventures. The rest of our family went for a bushwalk. There were periodic loud yells and groans from the various players and gales of laughter. Jjong got a few carrot sticks for Junsu to munch on and sprawled in his chair with Junsu sitting on his abdomen. He tried to break Junsu’s habit of saying “oh my god” in front of every word, but at the end of an hour gave up with a grin. Duckie and Byong played word games with me.

We were joined after some time by our sweaty teens. We got to see Kai’s interaction with Amber without the rest of our family hovering over him. Sehun and Kai went to our room to get juices for all of us to drink. Kai handed Amber her drink first and then passed on face wipes and towel to her. She smiled brightly at him and shared her juice with him.

Junsu waddled to Sehun asking to be whirled around. Sehun and Kai finished their drinks in big gulps and got busy whirling the little ones, making them squeal in delight. The six of them played a lazy game of tag with the teens taking turns running with baby Junsu in their arms.

At lunch, imo insisted on Hyori sitting at our family table. Hyori whispered something to Beagle and he pointed towards Heechul and Siwon. I grinned when I saw Hyori take a seat farthest from them which turned out to be next to Jjong. She made to get up but imo sat down on her other side. I could feel the attention of our entire family on the four of us. French team leader, Marc, who was sitting with Heechul and Siwon smiled in anticipation.

Kris and Luhan gave out loud groans. “Jinki behave,” Kris called out while Luhan bemoaned the lack of couple cabins. I winked and blew them a kiss, making them grumble, “There he goes again.” When Gina and Xing demanded explanation, they mumbled something to them, making them watch Jjong and I in greater concentration.

Puppy was not bothered at all by Hyori’s presence. He kept putting food on my plate, almost ignoring her. After a few minutes silence, broken only by the chatter of the children, imo finally spoke, “Hello Hyori, I am Jinki and Jonghyun’s imo. I came to know that you took a lot of interest in Jonghyun.”

Hyori dropped her spoon with a loud clatter and looked in shock at imo. She began stuttering out her response, “I, I, no, I, it.”

Imo smiled at her like an angel and patted her hand, “It’s alright Hyori. I can understand how you must have found our Jonghyun totally captivating.”

A completely flustered Hyori nodded her head and then realizing her actions she shook her head, looking at imo with wide fearful eyes.

Imo patted her hand again, “But Hyori didn’t your mother tell you that you must respect the sanctity of marriage? Didn’t you know that Jonghyun is married and father of two children?”

Hyori again nodded her head, looking at her food, not daring to look anywhere else. Her face color had gone from pink to red.

Imo continued to smile and patted Hyori’s shoulder, “Are you going to treat your marriage with the same disregard? How embarrassing for your parents and future husband? Maybe you shouldn’t marry at all, considering your lack of respect for the institution of marriage.”

“Umm, I, no, I, oh, umm,” Hyori tried to speak coherently once more.

“It’s alright dear. Don’t worry. Not everyone appreciates a good marriage nowadays. Why have you stopped eating?” Imo’s nonchalant tone did not change and Hyori turned redder. “Jonghyun serve her more fish.”

“Halmeoni, when are you going to scratch her eyes out?” Duckie loudly asked imo from the other end of the table as Jjong carried out imo’s order and put more fried fish in Hyori’s plate.

Heechul tried to hush the giggling children. Hyori looked at imo in fright, her hands going to her face protectively. Imo smiled at her again and patted her arm, “Duckie we must not indulge in violence. Remember forgiveness is a virtue. I am sure Hyori has realized her mistake and decided to leave married men alone in future.”

Hyori nodded mutely. I really pitied the poor woman at that moment and tried to pacify imo. “Imo let it go. Let the poor woman eat. We must not embarrass people like this. And she is a guest at our table right now.”

“But Jinki,” Imo pouted at me and I interrupted her again, “No buts imo. There is no harm done. Who knows better than me about Jonghyun’s magnetic appeal? It is actually my dragon’s fault. He is such a handsome and caring man, anyone can lose their head.” I smiled brightly at Jjong.

Kibum, Taemin and Heechul made retching sounds on hearing that. Soo groaned, “How cheesy oppa.” Children howled in laughter. Kris and Luhan joined them with their snickering. I turned to Hyori to beam at her. She had the grace to burn red with embarrassment at her earlier behavior.

Imo pouted and mumbled “weirdo” under her breath but thankfully did not say anything aloud. After a few minutes Hyori smiled gratefully at me. I rubbed Jjong’s thigh and began talking to Hyori about her family. I looked across our table to find Uncle glaring at Taemin and Kibum who were again back to their usual PDA. The duo was watched with great interest by Gina and Xing.

After lunch many people went on bush walk and others continued to play games. Our family gathered around and we divided into teams and began playing a rousing game of charades. Slowly, some of the four team members joined our game. Drinks were brought out early and by sunset, most of the people were relaxing in chairs and partially drunk. We moved on to individual talent display and before we knew it was dinner time.

Outdoor barbecue was a great hit with everyone. Kris, Luhan, Marc and Jjong were of the same opinion that bringing the teams together in one spot was a good idea. Even though many team members were borderline drunk, there wasn’t any mischief they could get into within the limited area of the tourist park.

After dinner every one sat around campfires that were specially requested by us and arranged at the time of booking. There was more drinking accompanied by singing and dancing. Those interested in joke exchange settled around Uncle. Chan Yeol sat next to Uncle and both of them went into a sort of competition keeping the others laughing constantly.

I looked around but was unable to locate Taemin and Kibum. Jjong held my hand and stopped me from searching for them. He whispered to me the location of the duo and I grinned at the thought of their naughtiness.

Gina and Xing were making an effort to know about their husbands’ teams and they were moving around with Kris and Luhan enquiring about the comfort of each person. Baby Junsu waddled up to us and seeing his drowsy eyes, Jjong crooned a few lullabies to him. Within a few minutes Junsu was fast asleep in Jjong’s arms. Very soon Duckie came to sit in my lap and went off to sleep hugging me.

Holding the sleeping kids in our lap, Puppy and I looked at our family. Puppy laced his fingers with mine and we smiled in recognition of our similar thoughts. God was kind to us to bless us with such a loving family. “And thank God no one got lost,” Puppy said aloud, making me laugh. We broke up the revelries before anyone got really drunk. Heads were counted and everyone was sent to sleep off into their respective cabins.

Taemin and Kibum joined us just as we were saying good night to Gina and Xing. Their pink faces covered with a fine sheen of sweat told the story of their absence. Kris and Luhan became wide eyed as they took in the new arrivals’ appearance. They looked speculatively at their wives who shook their heads and they went tamely to the cabin they were sharing with Soo and Teukkie.

I pinched Kibum’s and grinned as he winked back at me. Taemin pulled him towards the cabin they were sharing with imo, uncle, Ji and Amber. Heechul and Siwon took a double bedroom cabin to share with Duckie and Minx. Sam and family had their own cabin.

Byong went to sleep in our cabin as soon as his head touched the pillow. Leaving Kai, Sehun and Beagle whispering to each other in cabin, Puppy pulled me out for a late night walk. He held my hand and went around checking on each cabin rented by our joint teams. Satisfied that everyone was inside, he pulled me into wilderness just beyond our cabin and walked to the edge of light. Pulling me out of sight against a big tree trunk, he went about acting on one of our camping fantasies.

We were laughing silently as we returned to our cabin after half an hour. All our cabins were dark and even the boys had gone to sleep exhausted by the day’s activities. We made a log fire in the small living room and cuddled together on the couch. It was our last night in Australia and we had ample time to sleep on our flight back to Seoul. We kissed and talked late into the night.

There were many hangovers next day at breakfast. I laughed as I set bottles of aspirin near the juice and coffee. All the four bottles were emptied out. Marc informed everyone they had two more hours to enjoy themselves before we left for the hotel and the French team headed to the airport. Chinese flight was in the evening and Canadian thirty minutes after that. Our flight was at night. Those who could manage, played basketball and tennis. Some went to sleep off their hangovers.  

By the time we returned the teams to the hotel, there were loud groans from those sorry to leave Australia and gleeful chanting from the ones happy to return to their families. Ji and Chan Yeol had long faces and for once Beagle was silent. He quickly packed his bags and came to our apartment with us. Jjong’s team decided to explore more of Canberra and agreed to be ready to depart at 7 from the hotel.

Sam and William came with us and set about preparing lunch for our horde with imo and Kibum cooking their best Korean dishes for Gina and Xing. Sehun dug out the xbox from our bags and the children got busy in the living room. Ji and Beagle went to the balcony to spend some time alone. Imo wanted to stop them but Uncle held her back.

Jjong and I presented our gifts to Gina, Xing and Sam. Imo made them promise to visit us in Daegu often. Gina agreed only one condition that Kibum show her some of his girl dances. He looked at her with his mouth wide open, “Who told you I can do that?”

“Ji was full of praises of your dancing skills when we were learning belly dancing,” Xing answered.

“You learned belly dancing? Why do I miss all the cool stuff? Jinki hyung how can you be so mean to me?” Kibum’s whining started instantly. He left cooking to imo and Soo and insisted that Gina and Xing show him what they learned.

Taemin started laughing, “What is there to learn Kitty? You will take one look and do it better than them.”

“That’s not possible Taemin. They practiced for three days.” Kris challenged.

“Want to bet?” Tae smirked at Kris and Luhan.

Luhan answered before I could stop him, “Yes. I have seen Xing belly dance. I can guarantee she will do it better than Kibum.”

There were gasps and giggles all around the dining table. Our family knew Kibum and slowly they began laughing. Heechul was laughing the loudest. Xing glared at her husband, and I fell off my chair laughing at their silent communication.

But Xing’s next words made me stop abruptly, “I will do it only if Jinki does it with me.”

“Omoni, umma is asking for belly dance videos,” Kai interrupted the bet.

I gave him the usb drive and told him to plug it to the tv, before turning to the mad group. “There is no way I am dancing, Xing. Luhan you placed the bet, don’t drag me into it.”

“But Jinki you are my teacher. I need your support,” Xing tried to make me agree.

Now it was Uncle’s turn to fall of his chair in laughter. I showed him my tongue before facing Xing again. Her sweetly hopeful face made me sigh and agree.

Heechul whooped, “Since Jinki is dancing let me go and learn with Key. I want to do it too. Simba place a bet for me as well. I am going to win.”

I stared after the mad Cinderella. Here I was trying to get out of dancing and he was forcing his way into the bet. Soo sent Minx to call Ji and Beagle. Tae, Luhan and Siwon agreed on a high-stakes bet. Each one gave hundred dollars to uncle. Jjong opened his wallet but I glared at him to put it away. I refused to participate in the bet. Since Gina refused to dance, she and Kris Beagle were made judges as they had both seen the original belly dancers in the restaurant.

Gina looked shocked at our betting. I patted her shoulder, “You will get used to us Gina. Too bad you are leaving so soon. Just follow Xing’s example.”

“Here I thought that Xing was timid when I first met her,” Gina shook her head in amazement and I had to agree with her.

Xing blushed at the indirect compliment and Luhan looked at her proudly. Ji handed out towels to the dancers to tie around our waists. We could hear the music from the living room and imo and Soo went to watch, and all cooking came to a halt as everyone crowded into the living room.

Fifteen minutes later Kibum and Heechul declared themselves ready. The four of us took our position and music was played. I danced half-heartedly and Xing did it will full concentration, making me proud. As we stopped five minutes later, there was loud applause from the spectators.

Gina and Kris talked in whispers for some time before declaring Kibum the winner as his dance was more sensual than the others’. He jumped and ran around the dining table with Kai. Heechul pouted and whined to Siwon who dragged him to the balcony and closed the door. Luhan looked stupefied with his mouth hanging open. Puppy pinched his shoulder to bring him to his senses.

Xing hugged me in thanks and I grinned at her and Gina, “Now you both will come to Daegu or are there any more conditions?”

“Will Kibum teach us how to dance on our visit?” Gina asked.

“Better than that, you can join our cousin’s dance academy during your visit.” Taemin answered for us.

“Do you also know strip dance?” Gina asked Tae in a low voice, when we were again sitting around the dining table.

“Don’t tell me Jinki hyung taught you that also?” Taemin laughed and turned to me, “Naughty, naughty hyung!”

I shook my head and turned pink.

“He didn’t, but I am curious. Do you?” Gina was persistent.

Ji began giggling at my pink face. Sam tried to control in the kitchen but we could hear her laughing as well. Xing’s face was turning pink as well. Everyone looked at us curiously.

“I do. Want to see?” Tae waggled his brows at Gina.

“No!” Xing exclaimed loudly and turned red in the face.

Luhan looked at her curiously and then the rest of us. Ji and Sam began laughing hard at Xing’s response. Gina also was blushing and shaking her head in negative.

“Come on noona, be a sport. Once you see me dance you will forget your oldie husband.” Taemin, the brat, tried to cajole Gina.

Kris frowned at our reactions as he looked at each one of us closely, “Jjong, does Jinki know this dance?” He finally asked.

I turned red like a tomato and made to get up, but Ji plonked herself in my lap to keep me seated. She kissed my red cheek and whispered in my ear, “Don’t worry oppa. I am here to support you.”

As Jjong opened his mouth to answer, Ji interrupted, “Kris oppa, I think the better question would be how you can learn the dance. Maybe Gina unnie is looking for a teacher for you.”

Kris scowled, “There is no way I am doing it.”

“But hyung didn’t you say you wanted to learn and practice?” Jjong grinned at Kris.

“You people are so shameless. Where is Siwon?” Uncle put an end to the discussion.

“The ‘stone’ is in the balcony consoling his pouting princess with kisses,” Taemin answered with a wink.

“Shameless creatures,” Uncle repeated himself.   

Our time passed in hilarity and we were sad to bid farewell to the two couples leaving before us. Jjong, JiYeol and I went to drop them to the hotel. JiYeol promised to send them wedding invitations. It was a bitter-sweet parting from our new family.

Back in the apartment, we packed all our bags and lined them up in the other apartment. Dinner was served early and the second dining table was returned to its original place. We checked both apartments to make sure everything was in its original place and condition. The leftover food and liquor would be taken home by Sam and William. The keys were given to William. Sam hugged all of us and cried at our parting. I gave imo an envelope filled with money to gift to Sam. We knew she wouldn’t accept it from either Puppy or me.

As we said our final goodbyes and left for the hotel, Puppy wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “Yeobo don’t feel sad. Think of all the good memories we created. I love you. You made this the best training of my life.”

I put my head on his shoulder and let him hug me more. “I love you too jagi.”

On our flight back, imo made Hyori sit with her and soon had her smiling and laughing. Baby Junsu kept moving from person to person to entertain himself. JiYeol sat together and whispered non-stop. I worried about imo and uncle meeting with Beagle’s parents. Puppy spent a lot of time trying to distract me.

When everyone was sleeping and the cabin lights turned low, Puppy whispered to me, “Yeobo, we are in the sky, far above the earth and its time I fulfilled another promise to you. Please let me love you.”

I looked around to see everyone settled for the night, even the steward and stewardesses. Standing up, I took Puppy’s hand and we silently entered the washroom together.

My Puppy really knew how to keep our life spiced up and entertained.