Oh HyunJin

Forever Till The End

42. OH HYUNJIN

 

“Hurry up noona. Your face will remain the same ugly mug no matter how much make up is applied to it.” Byong screeched and earned a whack from his grandmothers, imo and umma, for teasing Minx on the most important day of her life, 18th July 2015.

“Key umma make him go away.” Minx whined through a straight face as the best makeup artist of Daegu gave finishing touches to her face under the supervision of Kibum and Heechul.

As I watched her transformation into a traditional Korean bride, I tried not to let sadness overwhelm me. The chatter and teasing in the room faded into background noise as I tried to store away the memories of her final moments as my babygirl. She looked so beautiful. I took the red dots from the vanity table and placed them on her cheeks and forehead and carefully kissed her nose.

I left the room before anyone could see my tears. Quickly wiping my cheeks and eyes, I went in search of my Puppy. I found him sobbing in Siwon’s arms. Siwon let him go and the two of us consoled each other. We embraced silently and waited for the moment of sorrow to pass. We were going to move down in the list of important persons in her life. She was going to be a wife first, a daughter-in-law second and a daughter third.

“Jagi, she looks so beautiful. She cannot keep a big smile off her face. And she is glowing with her immense happiness. Why did you leave the room and come here?” I kissed Puppy’s hair and whispered.

“I didn’t want her to see me crying yeobo. I just need a few minutes to collect myself.” Puppy hugged me tighter.

“Take all the time you need jagi.” I tried to be strong for both of us.

“Yeobo, just a while ago she was a little girl in my arms, demanding to sit on my shoulders. I read bedtime stories to her and hugged her to sleep.” Puppy tried to control himself. But each memory brought fresh tears.

“Remember when Byong was born and you dressed her for school only to forget her ?” The memory made me smile.

Puppy chuckled and thought of another funny one. “I will never forget the questions she asked when she helped me change Byong’s diaper for the first time.”

“Remember how you wanted to kill the ‘dweeb’ when she first mentioned him?” I kissed his hair again and again to keep myself calm.

“The dweeb who used to take motorbike rides with me now has his own motorbike. Where did the time fly yeobo?” Puppy finally stopped shedding tears.

Before I could respond, Taemin called for us, “Hey you two, be lovey-dovey later, its time for you to take your place in the wedding hall. Come on, stop dallying here.”

I wiped all traces of tears from Puppy’s face and he did the same for me. We tried on big smiles and nodded at each other as we followed Taemin to take our place beside Sehun’s parents on one side of the wooden table in front of the wedding hall. The wedding hall was filled with Sehun’s and our close family and friends. We had decided to hold the traditional Korean wedding first and the modern wedding was scheduled three hours later in the same place.

Puppy had booked the largest wedding hall in Daegu. For the modern wedding, the guest list was endless, what with work colleagues of all of our family attending as well. Puppy had vetoed all my efforts at economy. His daughter’s wedding was being conducted at a lavish scale, with no expense spared.

I could see Kris and Luhan sitting with Gina and Xing. Next to them were Sam and her family. All of them had been specially flown in by us. We had invited the grocery store manager from Canberra and the restaurant manager from LA who still had our signatures and photographs all over his restaurant. Our Canberra friends, fellow team leaders of Puppy - Marc, Harold, Vasily, Carlo, Viktor, David, Pierre, Jaap, and Izaak had flown in for one day especially to attend the wedding. Austrlian journalist Matthew had come with a photographer and was recording all the proceedings.

The hahm bearers were checking to see if all of them were in place and calling loudly to begin the ceremony. I could see them - Kiwoo, Kai, Chan Yeol, Kris and Luhan’s three boys and two of Sehun’s school friends, congregated around the silk-wrapped hahm box. They were trying to stop Byong who was hell bent on opening the knot to check the gifts. Byong had collected all the little ones to help his endeavor. I could catch glimpses of Junsu, Jaejoong and little Yixing. When none of them paid any attention to the hahm bearers, Beagle picked up his son and deposited him in his mother’s lap. Kai picked up a screaming Joongie, while Junsu docilely followed him, and put him DongHae’s lap. One glare from Hae and Joongie went silent. Hyukkie picked up Junsu to sit in his lap.

Puppy pointed out the hahm box to me and whispered that the big box was filled with nothing but a variety of condoms. Beagle had told Puppy that when he asked Sehun what he wanted, Sehun had hinted to Beagle about his hesitation to buy contraceptives. So, all the hahm bearers had pooled in and had gone out earlier in the day to shop for condoms. The group had gone overboard in the shop and purchased every brand and type of available. Kiwoo had even made Sehun measure himself to make sure they bought the right size.

I had a tough time controlling my laughter at the information. But, a part of me was glad. I wanted them to wait a few years before becoming parents. Puppy had prepared a fat envelop to give the hahm bearers as, according to him, they were really rendering us a valuable service. I wondered how much Puppy was spending on the wedding as he wouldn’t let me see any bills.

“Stop overthinking yeobo. I can see the wheels of your mind turning. It is well worth it and we still have a lot left over. Should we buy them a car?” Puppy poked me in the side.

“No way! Wait for the right time. Maybe when Sehun completes his education, or when they have a family. We are already giving them the apartment and the monthly rent from it as part of our wedding presents. Sunwoo hyung got Sehun a motorcycle on getting into the medical school. Don’t spoil them.” I tried to keep my voice down.

“Jinki is right, Jjong. You have already spent a lot. I forbid you to buy them a car. Let Sehun finish his studies and buy it on his own.” Hyemi noona overheard me and agreed.

“I totally agree. They need to learn to be careful with money and understand the financial responsibilities that come with a family. Don’t spoil them.” Sunwoo hyung added his opinion.

“But I have only one daughter.” Puppy whined only to become silent when the three of us stared at him. He pouted, “Spoil sports.” We grinned at the adorable Puppy and I hugged him.

The self-appointed Masters of Ceremony, Kibum and Heechul, entered the hall and clapped to get everyone’s attention. The wedding was about to start. We smiled as Sehun entered with two of his uncles, Siwon and Leeteuk. He was blushing red and smiled tremulously at us as he took his seat in front of us. Together we looked at the entrance to see a radiant Minx make a grand entry surrounded by her grandmothers, Ji, Soo, Amber, Duckie, Kris’s daughter and a school friend. Both Sehun and Minx were color-coordinated in heavily embroidered gold, red and blue wedding hanboks.

The ceremony had its own funny moments making waves of laughter travel through the hall. The hahm bearers whooped in joy on receiving the money envelops. They gave them to Beagle to divide it later. Minx wanted to drink more of the ceremonial wine and her indulgent appa poured her another cup. She happily shared it with Sehun.

During the fertility ceremony of dates and nuts, my mother loudly called out to remind us of Minx’s goal, “Sunwoo get ready for ten grandkids. Minx will aim to be to super mother.” Her voice rang through the silent hall.

Both Minx and Sehun blushed deep red. I saw Sehun’s eyes glaze a little when he looked at blushing Minx. Puppy had also noticed the change and he whispered to me, “I hope he remembers to use the hahm. I will kill the dweeb if he gets our babygirl pregnant during the honeymoon.”

“Don’t worry jagi, even if he forgets, the honeymoon period is safe for them. Nature has its own method of contraception and I carefully selected this time for the wedding.” I gave a soft smile to Puppy.

“Explain to me later, how you did that yeobo. I will talk to Sehun after the honeymoon, to be careful.” Puppy gave a deep sigh. I grinned at him, noticing how far he had come in taking on responsibility as a parent of innocent children. He no longer shied away from embarrassing conversations with our kids.

There was loud cheering from everyone in the hall as Kibum and Heechul introduced Mrs and Mr Oh Sehun to the family and friends. Sehun and Minx faced every one and held hands before bowing deep in thanks to every one who came to bless their union. There were a lot of teary eyes in the hall. Then photographs were taken with the new couple. From sober to funny, all sort of poses were struck for the camera.

Once everyone had had their photographs taken, Puppy suddenly took the newlyweds by the hand and pulled them into the bride’s changing room. I followed them, totally confused by Puppy’s actions. He smiled at the equally puzzled couple and ushered me out of the room whispering in my ear, “I need to keep our promise yeobo.” As he closed the door behind him, he winked at Sehun.

“Sunshine, you have ten minutes to kiss the bride.”