Crazy Family

Forever Till The End

13. CRAZY FAMILY

 

On Thursday we had a houseful. Overflowing with people would be more accurate description. Kris, Luhan and Chan Yeol still insisted on dinner with us, so as to meet our family. Kris’s words to Jjong were, “If you two are the tamest couple in the family, I am really curious to meet the others. Jinki told us to learn so we could practice at home. You cannot take away this learning opportunity.”

Jjong messaged me about the three and Chan Yeol’s threat to hack into the organizers’ computer system. That boy had too many blackmailing techniques up his sleeves.

At the airport, Heechul picked up Duckie and cried for full 17 minutes. I timed him. Amber and Minx patted his back to make him stop, but he was too emotionally over wrought by the 10 days separation from his daughter.

Imo was doing the same with Jiyeon. Uncle told me that she’d made Soo and Doc stay with them with little Junsu the same day that we left Daegu. I assured imo that her daughter was safe and sound and thriving on Australian soil.

Kai went straight to Sehun and both of them took my phone to check out the news article. Kibum peered over their shoulder in even greater curiosity. Taemin, Uncle and Siwon went to exchange money. Leeteuk followed them slowly with little Junsu walking holding his finger.

DongHae and Hyukkie couldn’t come as Hae needed to be at the station. Kibum later passed on their gratitude to Jjong and me. They were very happy with the one-month long alone time they got while Amber was with us.

Like US, Jjong had arranged for a mini coach for our family for the duration of their stay in Australia. Imo sat beside me in the bus and probed about my well being. I hugged her and assured her that I was doing well and fine and making new friends.

She poked my cheek, “You say so. But you are thinner than before. Are you not eating properly? Don’t worry, I will cook your favorite meals and you will be back to your original weight in no time.”

I kissed her cheek. “My darling imo I am same weight as before. But I missed your cooking. Will you make your special chicken for tonight? It doesn’t taste the same when I make it. Even Jjong said so.”

Imo happily nodded and we talked about the temporary housekeeper and her family. She was even more overjoyed at the discounts that I had managed to get at the local  shops. She made plans with Soo, Ji and Heechul to go shopping the next day while Kibum was busy with interview.

“No imo you cannot go shopping without me.” Kibum got up from his seat to stand next to imo’s. “The interview is at 9 in the morning and I plan to be free by 10. Can’t you wait a little?”

“No I cannot. You are talking about 60 minutes.” Imo’s eyes twinkled as she teased Kibum.

“Immmo!” Kibum began whining, “This just proves that you love Jinki hyung more than me.”

Imo laughed and Uncle who was sitting behind us whacked Kibum’s arm. “Stop being a drama queen. Can’t you see she is teasing you?” He then admonished imo, “Dae Hei why do you get him started. His whining gives me a head ache. We have not even been here for an hour, and you’ve got him riled up already.”

Kibum pouted at imo and Uncle. Imo made him bend down and pulled his cheeks. “Sweet baby, how can I go shopping without you? Who will pick up the bags?”

Kibum pulled her cheeks in return, “Just for this, I am going to tell them tomorrow that Soo is adopted and Leeteuk hyung is a drug mafia lord.”

Imo’s eyes widened in horror. With Kibum one never knew. He smiled victoriously at her and went back to his seat. I had to assure imo the rest of the way that he wouldn’t really do any such thing as it would reflect equally bad on him.

Yes, my crazy family had landed in Australia.  

At home, Sam and kids met the family and Sam looked really bewildered. I kept her busy serving milkshakes and snacks to everyone while sleeping areas were allotted. Jjong and I had arranged for another penthouse just opposite ours in the same building. We’d decided to give our room to imo and uncle, but they wouldn’t hear of it. They took one of the other rooms.

Heechul and Kibum tossed for the master bedroom of the other house. Heechul won but decided to use it for one night and the other night Kibum would use. Soo and Doc took the other room in their apartment. Ji wanted Junsu to sleep with her. All the kids wanted to camp out in the living room of our apartment.

Sam and her kids had learned about the family through photographs with the help of Amber, Minx and Sehun. But the amount of noise we generated when together left her reeling, not to mention the rapid fire mix of Korean and English. Byong sat next to her and translated as much as he could of the organized mayhem.

The Fearsome Four got the newspapers and distributed them around so everyone could read the headlines we made on our arrival.

“Jinki I am going to frame it for our living room wall.” Imo called out to me.

“What? No way. Imo you are not putting a photograph of the two kissing on our house wall. Can you imagine what it will do to Puppy’s blood pressure?” I squawked.

I heard Sam asking Byong, “Who is Puppy?”

“Jjong appa.” He calmly replied. “We call him Puppy at home. Ummappa insisted we call him Jjong appa here.”

“How can your lapdog have blood pressure issues? He is only 32. Anyway I will deal with him. My granddaughter made headlines in Australia. The world needs to know about it.” Imo insisted.

“Imo please don’t call him Puppy or my lapdog here. He is Jjong. Please, please practice calling him Jjong. We meet his team members and other teams daily. Jjong. Okay? Call him Jjong.” I paled at the thought of imo calling him Puppy in front of our usual dinner guests.

Everyone nodded, knowing the request was meant for all. Jokes aside, they knew how important this was for Jjong and no one wanted to mess with his professional life.

“And don’t call Siwon Simba. Oh my god, why do we have such weird names for each other?” I began to panic a little, thinking of the all the possible slip ups in the coming days.

Imo and Uncle began laughing and were soon joined by the rest. As they laughed on I realized the absurdity of my statement. I smiled in embarrassment and Heechul exclaimed, “Jinx you are really the best. I really, really missed you. Don’t ever go away again without me.”

“Ah Cinder I missed you too.” We hugged each other.

Kibum came over and hugged us both, “Hyung didn’t you miss me?”

“Of course Bummie. I missed your daily tantrums and pouts.” I added him into our three-way hug.

“I am your brother and yet you missed Kitty more than me?” Taemin pulled my hair from behind and hugged Kibum and me.

“No one misses a brat Tae.” I winked at him.

“Hyung I am too old to be a brat. Sheesh, I am going to hug imo instead.” Tae began to walk away. I pulled him back to include in our hug.

Kai, Minx and Sehun jumped up and shouted, ”Group hug!” We separated and everyone joined in a family hug. I picked up little Junsu who was hugging my legs.

It was good to have my family with me.

Everyone dispersed soon after to refresh. Imo took a quick bath and came to the kitchen to cook dinner. She pushed me and Ji to sit and talk to her as she worked with Sam. She was joined very soon by Soo. Heechul also came to help but imo made him sit as well, “I have tasted your cooking. Ten years and you still have not learned anything from me.”

Heechul shrugged, “Imo why should I? We come to your house whenever we want to eat well.”

I counted out the number of adults and teens and children, adding in three guests. Imo sent Ji and Heechul for a quick grocery shopping trip. All of us were too thin according to her. When Kibum joined us in the kitchen, imo put him to work. Kibum was even better than me at cooking.

Siwon, Tae and Doc decided that we needed a bigger dining table and with Uncle’s help somehow managed to move the dining table from the other apartment and arranged it in ours. Fearsome Four moved the chairs with Robert. Then they moved on to play x-box games with Donald joining them.

Ji and Heechul were really quick. On his return, Heechul poured drinks for everyone including Tae who made it a point to give one to Kibum also. I smiled at the thought of the teetotaler Kibum acquiring a taste for alcohol during our US trip. Duckie and Byong sat down on either side of Heechul on the dining table and began recounting our activities to all of them. They talked loud enough for imo, Soo and Kibum to hear in the kitchen.

Suddenly imo’s squeal interrupted their narrative. “What did you say just now Byong? There was a woman who borrowed Puppy, I mean Jjong, as her husband for few days?”

“Yes imo-halmeoni. She was always hanging on appa’s arm and even put her head on his shoulder when she thought no one was looking.” Byong gave more details for imo’s benefit.

I face palmed. I had no idea how to explain our flirting to the family.

“I told her that my umma would scratch her eyes out if it was Simba appa in place of Jjong appa.” Duckie joined in. “I even showed her how painful it was.”

Imo and Uncle immediately looked at me in concern. I understood their fears very well. “Imo it was nothing like that. Stop worrying. One of his team members developed a huge crush on him and did not consider our commitment an impediment. She wouldn’t listen to anything Jjong or I said. So we decided to let things be. It was a matter of a few weeks only. We didn’t want to create any scene here. Puppy is and always will be faithful to me.”

“But Jinki?” Imo left her apprehensions and questions unsaid.

“No ifs and no buts imo. Do you think so little of Jjong? He’s been your son for ten years. He’ll be very hurt to know that you doubted him for even a second.” I softly laid her fears to rest.

“Oh yes imo. How can you doubt Puppy for even half a second? He is too domesticated by hyung. I am sure when he sees a woman all he sees is hyung without clothes and then hurries to wherever hyung is to take care of his little problem that rose out of his vision.” Tae gave his own version of Jjong’s fidelity.

Imo blushed but the rest of us laughed at the scene painted by Tae’s words. He high fived with Heechul and Siwon. Duckie and Byong tried to work out the meaning of Tae’s words.

“So that’s why he visits the hagwon almost daily in the middle of his shift.” Heechul smirked at me. It was my turn to blush.

“Oh my gosh, it’s true. Jinki oppa you are forty with grown up kids, a daughter who is almost married. You must behave better.” Soo wagged her finger at me.

“Duckie, Byong, I hear Sehun and Minx calling you to play with them. Go.” I told the two who immediately rushed off. “Sunshine make Duckie and Byong play with you.” I called out to Sehun. Then I turned to look at my family.

“Shame on all of you. Talking about such matters in front of those two. And Soo what do you mean I must behave better at my age. Are you and Doc living in separate rooms? Or HyukHae counting the stars every day?” I said belligerently.

“You forgot to mention me and Simba.” Heechul piped up grinning.

“What’s to mention Cinder? You always make Siwon late when he visits the hagwon in the middle of his shift. There is something called time management. You need to take a crash course in it.” I looked him in the eye.

“Hey stop, stop. This is too much information for my ears.” Imo called a halt to our good natured bickering. “Ji stop grinning. You are too innocent to understand and get corrupted by these shameless creatures. And tell your father to stop laughing or he’ll fall off his chair again.”

“And before I forget, Tae and Bummie you need to take two fellows shopping to improve their relationship with their wives. At the rate they are going, their wives will divorce them sooner or later.” I didn’t want to forget this important promise to Kris and Luhan. “Cinder did you get the rings we asked for?”

“Jinx, are you giving seduction lessons here also? I told you to open a school.” Heechul began laughing at his own joke.

“You only asked me six years ago. Jjong has been after me for ten years. If I haven’t opened it by now, I never will.” I laughed with him.

Soo elbowed her husband who looked at her innocently. She pointed towards me with her eyes. Doc shook his head in a no. As I watched them, everyone else did too and there was sudden silence in the room while all the eyes trained on the two. Soo insisted again. He again shook his head.

Suddenly Tae began laughing. “Little Soo wants Leeteuk hyung to take lessons from Jinki hyung.”

Soo, Doc and I blushed. Everyone else joined Taemin in laughter. I walked over to Soo to hug her. She hid her red face in my chest. “Stop teasing her Tae. You are forgetting your own time. Should I remind you? How about the time when you returned from your honeymoon?” I threatened Tae.

Both he and Kibum became wide eyed and began shaking their heads vehemently.

“Tell, tell oppa. I am so curious.” Ji exclaimed. Imo and Uncle glared at her.

Ji was saved by the doorbell. She jumped off her seat to take care of it. I followed her slowly. We heard her say, “Jjong oppa you are so late. Everyone’s been waiting a long time. What kept you? You are normally home much earlier.”

“Blame your Beagle for it Ji. He took one hour to get dressed. We had to physically carry him out of his room and throw him in the van. Popinjay! And thank goodness, he has lost his voice tonight.” Jjong’s exasperation could be heard loud and clear.

I saw Chan Yeol’s panicked face peeking at me from behind Luhan and Kris. He was almost unrecognizable. His hair were slicked back and he wore thick black-framed glasses. Luhan entered the house and gave me a full view of the Beagle, as Jjong and I sometimes referred to him when alone because of his constant yapping. He was the only one of the group wearing a tie and blazer. Kris and Luhan were comfortably dressed in jeans and jackets.

“Stop fussing with your tie. You will strangle yourself accidentally.” Kris admonished him. “Come to think of it, you might do it on purpose tonight. If you are so nervous why did you have to come for dinner and that too by threatening Jjong? Little blackmailer.”

“Ummm, aah, ummm,” Chan Yeol tried to form words but failed. He looked at Ji in even more panic.

“What have you done to yourself Yeollie?” Ji asked him in confusion. “What’s with this strange get up? Jinki oppa help us please.” She appealed to me.

I sent the other three inside and stepped out with Ji, closing the door behind us. Ji took off his glasses. I removed his tie and undid the top two buttons of his shirt, then ran my fingers through his hair to make him look more normal.

He finally got back his voice and whispered to Ji, “I wanted to look good for your parents and family. I need to make a good impression on them so they will find me suitable for you noona.”

“If you call me noona they will never find you suitable Yeollie. Try Ji instead. I have told you so many times.” Ji put his glasses in his blazer pocket.

“They will think I am disrespecting you if I call you by name. I am in a catch-22 situation here. Help me ummappa.” Chan Yeol appealed to me next.

“Stop calling me ummappa. It makes you sound like my child. How do you expect them to see you as a match for Ji if you persist in behaving like one of my kids? Call me hyung.” I gently advised the nervous wreck.

“I’ll try ummappa. I mean hyung, ummappa. Oh damn. I’d better go back to the hotel room.” Chan Yeol threw in the towel.

I’d never seen the Happy Virus look so despondent and defeated. I did the first thing that came to my mind. I whacked him hard.

“Do you really think that’s the way to go about winning Ji’s heart and hand? If Jjong behaved like you, we’d never have gotten together. He worked hard for six months to win me over. And I really made him work every second of those six months. If you love Ji you better square your shoulders, straighten your spine and work to earn her love. My sister will never fall in love with a quitter. It’s your decision now. Do you or do you not want her in your life?” I wagged my finger at him.

“I want her ummappa. I really love her. But I am so young. How do I make everyone realize that no one can love her like me?” He softly responded.

“Jjong is eight years younger to me. He made everyone fall in love with him for who he is. Don’t pretend to be someone different. Be who you are. Have faith in your love and confidence in yourself. You are in an important position in the Korean Cyber Squad. You are not a kid. You are a man who still has some growing up to do.” I rubbed his back to calm him. “Tell me honestly. Do you love Ji or is it a crush?”

“I really love her ummappa.”

“Do you believe you are the best man for her?”

“Yes ummappa.”

“That’s all you need to face her family. You need only these two facts. Everything you do should show her how much you love her. You need to do everything in your power to keep her happy all the time. If you can do it, then you are the man for her. And it’s a long term commitment to keep someone happy. Your every thought, every action has to be geared towards keeping your commitment. That’s the mark of a man. That’s the man I want for my sister. That’s the man my sister deserves. You be that man and you will have her love. If you have her love, the family will be a piece of cake.”

Ji was silent as she listened to us. She reached out to hold Chan Yeol’s hand and soothe his desperation. “Just be yourself Yeollie. Don’t try to change for my family.”

He nodded and took a deep breath. When he finally looked up, I could see the old Chan Yeol back. His eyes, his stance, and his whole self began to show the confidence that we were used to seeing.

Ji and I smiled at each other. With her few words and actions, Ji had made it clear to me that she really liked Chan Yeol, maybe even loved him. But she wanted him to work for her love and prove himself as the man for her.

“Oppa are you coming in or not? Who is the Beagle that Jjong oppa is jabbering about? Have you got a dog here?” Soo asked as she opened the door to peek out. She went silent as she saw the three of us. Ji was still holding Chan Yeol’s hand and I was rubbing his back.

Soo stepped out and closed the door behind her. “So this is the Beagle. Hmmm, Ji you found someone at last. I am so happy. I was beginning to think you are a lesbian. All you have are female friends. Oh god umma will be so happy to know that you are not a lesbian. Jinki oppa no offense meant to you and Jjong oppa. But umma wants more grandchildren than I and Teukkie oppa are willing to have. Oh he looks so cute when he blushes. Ji keep him. He is adorable. And he is so tall.” Soo kept speaking not giving any of us a chance. Not that we minded. Her words were good for Chan Yeol’s ego.

“Unnie hush. You will make him nervous again.” A pink Ji tried to silence Soo. Marriage had made Soo a motor mouth at very odd moments.

“So he is nervous. Make him sit between Jjong and Jinki oppa. Oh that won’t work then they’ll end up groping him under the table by mistake. Putting him between TaeKey oppa will mean he gets d in full view of everyone. Heechul and Siwon oppa will grill him to death. Wait I got it. Put him between Jinki oppa and Teukkie oppa. I will ask Teukkie oppa to sit a seat away from Jinki oppa.” Soo danced in victory at her bright idea.

“We don’t under the table Soo. Don’t spread lies.” I pulled her hair.

“You do. Teukkie oppa told me about it. He had both of you rubbing his thighs when he made the mistake of sitting for dinner between the two of you a few years ago.” Soo wagged her finger at me.

“We don’t . We are just touchy feely after a long day apart.” I justified.

“Same thing oppa. Same thing.” Soo snorted. She wagged her finger at Ji and Chan Yeol. “No groping till you are married. Even after that, be discreet. One pair of open rs in the family is enough. TaeKey oppa are going to corrupt all the children.”

Chan Yeol blushed red and nodded meekly. Ji was equally red in the face and looked utterly horrified at Soo’s words.

“Halmeoni are you done with your lecture? Can we go inside now?” I smirked at Soo.

“Yes. As soon as Ji lets go of Beagle’s hand.” Soo winked at Ji.

Ji dropped Chan Yeol’s hand like a hot coal. “Unnie don’t tease me. I never teased you about Teukkie oppa.”

“What can I say Ji, you missed the gold opportunity. I am not as stupid as you.” Soo grinned at her. She hooked her arm with Ji and dragged her into the house. Leaving Chan Yeol and me to follow.

“Ummappa is everyone like her?” Chan Yeol asked hesitantly.

“Mostly. But don’t worry. None of us bite. You are safe with me. And to set the records straight, Jjong and I don’t under or over the table.” I patted the poor boy’s back.

“I know ummappa. You only in the van. At other places you only exchange looks.” Chan Yeol tried to put me at ease.

I could only gape at him in wonder suddenly realizing just how dangerous the unassuming boy was. No wonder he was doing what he was doing in the cyber squad at his young age. He was one sharp lad who also knew the meaning of discretion.

“Uh, umm. Well we are together you know.” I was blushing by now. He nodded without saying anything further. So the Beagle knew how to be silent also. Somewhere in my mind I was certain that he was the right person for Ji.

Chan Yeol was holding the door open for me to enter before him. As soon as we entered the door, Sehun rushed to Chan Yeol. “Hyung meet Kai. We’ve been waiting for you.”

“Hello Kai. Hope you are well. Sehun, how about I pay my respect to everyone else first?” Chan Yeol smiled at Sehun and Kai who nodded in agreement and tagged behind us.

I saw Kris and Luhan with drinks in hand already seated around the dining table with Siwon and Jjong. They were saying something to imo who had joined everyone at the table. Imo looked curiously at Chan Yeol when we approached the table.

I introduced Chan Yeol to everyone. Jjong, Kris and Luhan noted his changed appearance and the return of his voice. They smiled to each other. True to her word Soo seated Chan Yeol between Doc and me as I sat down next to Jjong. She had to make TaeKey get up.

Kibum was very curious but she promised to tell him later at night in their house. I knew she didn’t want to say anything in front of her parents. Doc immediately engaged Chan Yeol in conversation. When Heechul asked Chan Yeol for a drink, I pressed his hand to stop him from refusing. I told Heechul to prepare some non-alcoholic drinks so the Fearsome Four could also join us and he got the message. He made two large pitchers and set them on the table for everyone to help themselves.

Kris wanted to know if his rings had arrived. Heechul gave them to him. He was very happy with rings’ design. Heechul was curious about them. Kris mumbled with a pink face, “Jinki said to learn and practice. The rings are one of the things I have learnt.”

There was a burst of laughter around the table and Kris turned red from pink. Chan Yeol felt a little easier that he wouldn’t be grilled. As soon as another round of drinks was served, imo made Doc give up his seat to her. Chan Yeol and I went on immediate alert.

She smiled innocently at Chan Yeol and asked, “Why does Jjong call you Beagle?”

“Because he talks a lot imo. He never stops yapping.” I answered her.

“Did I ask you Jinki? Is he mute?” Imo silenced me.

Chan Yeol looked at me in silent appeal. I pressed his hand under the table.

“Oppa are you groping the Beagle now? Jjong oppa is sitting next to you so you do not corrupt innocents.” Soo called out loudly.

“Hush Soo, the kids are getting the wrong impression.” I tried to silence her. The Fearsome Four were looking at me curiously. Ji was looking at imo with a frown. Though usually silent and mild, she was a force to reckon with on the rare occasions when she lost her temper.

“So Beagle what do you do? How do you know these old men?” Soo grinned unrepentantly and asked Chan Yeol.

“I, ah, I, umm, I,” Chan Yeol tried to speak but failed.

“Ji he knows only one word, I.” Soo pinched Ji who glared murderously at her. She just grinned back.

“Soo better watch out. He is one of the best hackers in the world. Unless you want your hospital data messed up, I would advice extreme caution when dealing with Beagle.” Jjong pointed out to Soo who looked worriedly at her husband.

I smiled at Jjong for finding the perfect way to silence Soo.

“Oh no Jjong appa, I would never dream of creating any problems for noona. Please don’t scare her.” Chan Yeol finally found his voice and blushed as he spoke.

“Both of you found another one to adopt here? Don’t you think those you have right now are enough?” Uncle caught on to Chan Yeol’s way of addressing Jjong.

“I was feeling lonely as the sole puppy in the family Uncle.” Jjong laughed.

“Jjong I heard you also got a girlfriend in 10 days time.” Imo wouldn’t let the matter rest.

“Yes imo. Do you want to meet her? I will bring her over tomorrow for dinner. But that’s at your risk. If you kill her and go to prison, don’t blame me. By the way did you know Tokki acquired two new boyfriends?” Jjong pointed to Kris and Luhan.

“Oh no you two. Don’t drag us into your drama. We have loving wives back home and we are very faithful to them. Right Kris?” Luhan protested immediately and Kris nodded in agreement.

“Is she still hanging all over you Puppy?” Imo returned to the topic.

“Not since Duckie did us the favor of demonstrating how Heechul hyung scratches out eyes. She is staying five feet away from me at all times. Tokki we must give Duckie a huge thank you present.” Jjong smiled at Heechul as if it was him who had given the demo.

“She wants a Barbie home set Jjong.” I was happy to hear that Hyori was no longer all over my Puppy.

“Ummappa she can have ours. I think Ji unnie and I are too grown up to play with Barbies.” Minx offered.

“Speak for yourself Minx. I still like my dolls to have a proper home.” Ji did not sound happy at the thought of parting with her doll house and other items.

“You are 22 Ji. What do you mean you still want your dolls?” Soo poked her shoulder this time.

Ji poked her tongue out at Soo.

“Get married and you will have a live doll to play with in less than a year.” Soo poked her again.

Chan Yeol immediately went red in the face. Ji looked at him and blushed, “Not for another few years unnie. I will wait till I am at least 25.”

“Yes Soo unnie. Yeollie oppa also has to grow up some more. He will need –” Sehun immediately covered Minx’s mouth preventing her from speaking more. But it was too late. All eyes turned as one to Chan Yeol. I looked at Jjong and for a moment we were speechless too.

Chan Yeol was beet red, as was Ji.

“Jinki did you find a match for my daughter again? Weren’t you happy taking away Soo from me at a very young age?" Imo preferred to question me instead.

“Imo are you saying you are not happy with Doc as son-in-law? Is Soo not extremely happy with him?” I softly asked.

“That is not the point Jinki. I don’t want Ji married at such an early age.” Imo argued.

“Imo what’s wrong with 22?” Kibum asked. “Jinki hyung married at 22. Jjong began living with hyung at 22. Tae hyung and I were married at 22. Even you married at 22. How old were you Heechul hyung?”

“I was about to be 22 and Siwon was 22.” Heechul replied.

“Jinki I trusted you and Jjong, that’s why I sent Ji with you. And this is the result?” Uncle sounded upset.

Sehun glared at Minx for spilling the beans and she immediately hid her face in his shoulder, mumbling a sorry to him.

“Uncle she is not just your daughter but mine too. When have I not treated Soo and Ji like my own daughters? You are telling me that I have not taken proper care of Ji over here? Does she not speak with men in Daegu? Who is talking of marriage? Do you hear me asking you to get her married? You and imo heard only a few teasing comments and have concluded that Jjong and I were careless with Ji. You think so little of us as parents.” I was very hurt by Uncle’s words. I stood up and left the room before I said anything more. I had never spoken thus with imo and uncle before.

Jjong immediately followed me and Chan Yeol followed him, refusing to be with our family in our absence. I was standing in the balcony staring at the city lights. Jjong wrapped his arms around me and Chan Yeol just stood by not sure what to do or say.

I drew comfort from Jjong’s embrace. Ji appeard by our side and hugged both of us. We included her in our hug. Words were not needed. She extended a hand towards Chan Yeol who hesitated before taking it. She held his hand while hugging us.

“I am sorry that umma and appa are upset with you both because of me.” Ji began to apologize.

“It’s alright Ji. It happens. They are not upset with us. They just want more time with you. You know how much they miss Soo. For days after her wedding, they kept calling you Soo.” I comforted her.

“No. It is not alright. I am 22 years old. I have a right to date if I want. I just never met anyone I wanted to date before. I like Yeollie. I need time to be sure that I want a lifelong commitment with him. I have only a few more weeks then he will be in Seoul and I in Daegu. He might meet someone he likes more than me. Someone better than me. Girls my age have had multiple boyfriends. Some are even living with their boyfriends. All I am doing is talking to a man I like in full view of everyone. What is wrong with that?”

“Ji there is no one better than you in this world. My mind will not change.” Chan Yeol stated confidently.

The balcony door opened and Soo called us, “Umma and appa are calling all of you inside.”

Ji refused to go. “I need more time to control myself. I am very angry with them right now. I don’t want to talk to either of them.”

Jjong put an arm around her and brought her in with him. She sat in his lap when we returned to our seats. He hugged her to him and she buried her face in his shoulder.

“Ji all I said was I don’t want you married immediately.” Imo opened the conversation.

“I am not talking to you and appa.” Ji’s angry mumble was barely heard as she did not change her position.

“We got the facts from Sehun and Amber. We are sorry we reacted without knowing the exact matter.” Imo tried again.

Heechul pressed a drink in my hand. I poured a little in Chan Yeol’s glass before tossing the drink down my throat in one go. I wanted the old hilarity back. I didn’t want any of us upset with each other. I wanted to turn back the clock and prepare imo and Uncle about Chan Yeol when there was still time. Heechul gave me another drink. It was treated the same as previous one, only I didn’t share with Chan Yeol this time.

Because Ji refused to say anything more, sticking to her angry words, I finally broke the silence. “It’s our mistake imo and Uncle. We should have given you the facts either before or on your arrival. I am sorry for speaking so rudely before. Please forgive me. I am used to nothing but love from both of you and having you upset with me made me lose my mind.”

I took a deep breath and continued, “This young man sitting next to me is Park Chan Yeol. He is nineteen years old. He works in Seoul in the Cyber Squad head quarters where he is in charge of keeping all government data safe from hackers. He is the Head of the digital security team. He is very fond of talking. But he is also wise beyond his age. When I met him, I was instantly reminded of Puppy and the time we’d become friends.”

I smiled at Chan Yeol and he gave me a worried look. “It’s true he likes Jiyeol. But they have always talked to each other in full view of everyone. Ji is still not sure what she feels for him. Puppy and I agree. They’ve known each other only a few days after all. They get teased a lot by all of us but that’s because we love to make fun of each other. It’s not because there is anything serious going on. He has passed Puppy’s inspection and I trust Puppy’s judgment. Otherwise he’d have been booted off our dining table long time ago. He’s not the only one to show interest in Ji. There were four more just from Puppy’s team, not to mention men from other teams.”

Ji looked up at that. She was totally unaware of the simple fact that she was attractive to guys. Puppy took over from me, “Ji is like Minx to us. There is no way we’d invite just anyone to our house for dinner because we have three girls here. I was very careful in choosing who got to have dinner with us. I invited Chan Yeol for two reasons. He is the youngest member of my team and I did not want to leave him alone with the other members. I was not sure they’d take proper care of him. Second reason is my liking for him. He thinks he gets away with all the threats he gives me. But that’s what charmed me. He reminds me of Sehun and Minx. Tokki and I don’t know where it will lead. But we felt they at least deserved to know each other. If you don’t like him, Ji and he will remain just good friends. But I will reserve my judgment regarding anything serious for at least a couple of years. Both Ji and Beagle need to grow more before making any decisions. It’s the first time they have liked anyone in their lives. I think we should celebrate that Ji is not a lesbian.” Puppy pinched Ji’s cheeks as he said the last word.

She poked her tongue out at him and pulled his hair.

Taemin spoke up, “I never knew you had it in you speak like this Puppy. Tell me can I find a new partner here in Australia. Kitty is getting kind of old now.” He instantly found himself on the receiving end of Kibum’s kicks.

“All you think of is finding my replacement. No one will put up with your tantrums hyung. Get a new one and see if he does not run away within two days. Then you will come to me begging to take you back.” Kibum pouted.

“Aww my sweet Kitty is upset with me. I take it back. Old is gold you know. Don’t you know I love you so much? I cannot live without you.” Tae tried to pacify Kibum by kissing his cheek.

Kris and Luhan’s eyes bugged out seeing their interaction. They looked at each other and then at Tae who was kissing Kibum’s other cheek then, very near to the lips.

“Hey break it up you two. There are kids present. Tae try not to molest Kibum while we are having a serious discussion regarding Ji. Siwon please separate the two.” Uncle called out to the shameless couple.

Kai cheered his parents, “Appa on the lips. We want to know how to kiss. Just a little more to the right and you will reach the lips.”

Uncle whacked Kai on his head. He immediately turned silent and then looked at Amber hopefully but she pointedly ignored him. He turned to look at his parents again.

Sehun looked equally interested. He looked at Minx and then at TaeKey and then whispered something in Minx’s ears. She nodded with a bright smile. He put his hands on either side of her head and brought his face near her cheek when I called out, “Soo stop them.”

Soo, who was sitting next to Minx, turned her face to them and pulled Minx back. Sehun lost his balance and almost toppled over Minx but Soo held out her other hand to keep him seated in his chair.

I banged my head on the table while mumbling, “I am going to kill them. I am going to kill both of them. There are kids on the table. I am going to kill them.”

When I turned to face TaeKey again, Siwon was standing between the two who had similar pouts on their faces. I turned to look at Chan Yeol to find him concentrating on his hands on the table trying to control the blush on his face.

“Jinki you were absolutely right. You and Jjong are really tame in comparison.” Kris was crowing and high fiving with Luhan.

“Okay dinner time everyone. Those two need to keep their mouths busy with food. Kibum come and help me. Siwon sit in Kibum’s chair. Heechul get a chair vacated for Kibum at least two or three seats away from Tae.” Imo got up and commanded.

Kibum meekly followed her. Siwon and Heechul did as directed. Tae was moved to a chair so that they both were sitting between him and Kibum.

Soo was softly telling Sehun and Minx to mind their manners at the dining table and not blindly follow what the grownups did. She made it a point to scare Sehun that his rights to kiss Minx’s cheeks might get revoked if he riled up Puppy appa.

Ji refused to budge from Puppy’s lap. He held her in his arms and rubbed her back to calm her down. But we knew from experience that it was not an easy task.

Uncle was staring at Chan Yeol who had not looked up from his hands. Uncle got up and sat in the chair previously occupied by imo. He softly asked Chan Yeol, “Tell me about your family.”

“Uh, what?” Chan Yeol was suddenly woken from his reverie.

“Tell me about your family Chan Yeol.” Uncle repeated.

Chan Yeol turned to look at me and I smiled in encouragement. He then looked at Puppy who barely nodded to him as Ji’s face was still buried in his neck. “I come from a small family. My father works as Manager in a company in Seoul. My mother is a housewife. She was working before but since I began working with the Cyber Squad, she manages the house and us. My grandfather is retired and staying with us. It’s only the four of us in the house.”

“How did you get interested in computers?” Uncle probed further.

“I have always been fascinated by them. At school I aced all computer classes and even learnt what they were teaching in all the senior classes. Appa gifted me a computer when I turned 13. Within a year I had learnt all the programming languages and turned to hacking out of boredom. Appa guided me to take ethical hacking classes instead. When I completed the course at top of the class he got me a job maintaining digital security in his company. I began getting freelance work to check digital security for bigger firms and soon I was doing the same for banks. At the age of 18, I was recruited by Cyber Squad as part of their civilian team. I started as one amongst many who maintained digital security. A couple of months ago I was given charge of the team.” Chan Yeol became the Beagle again.

Listening to him, Puppy and I smiled at each other. Everyone was concentrating on Chan Yeol and Uncle. Of course with all the drama of a little while ago, no one wanted to miss a thing.

As we began eating, Uncle kept asking more personal questions for Chan Yeol to answer. He kept eating and talking with his mouth full. I was sure he’d decided there was nothing more to lose. Ji refused to eat and Puppy was feeding her as she sat in his lap hugging him.

The kids were sitting on one side of the table and busy talking while eating. Robert and Donald were making ecstatic faces as they tasted imo’s cooking.

I looked at TaeKey and saw their hands trying to lace together behind Siwon and Heechul. Kris and Luhan were observing the same. Siwon reached back and separated their hands. “For god’s sake Taemin, stop behaving like a teenager in the first throes of hormones.” Siwon hissed.

“Everyone cannot be made of stone hyung.” Tae retorted.

“I am not stone. I just exercise better self control. Have you heard of locked bedrooms? They were created for losing control. So wait a couple more hours. You are teaching all wrong things to your son.” Siwon responded.

“Have you heard of hyung? I can’t help if I find my Kitty too y to keep my hands off him.” Tae argued.

“I find Cinderella y. Jjong finds Jinki y. Doc finds Soo y. But that does not mean we do it anywhere and everywhere. Behave yourself or I’ll make sure you never accompany us on any of our future trips. Think what Kibum will feel about staying back home while we all enjoy ourselves.” Siwon was finally reduced to threatening a very stubborn Taemin.

Taemin resorted to pouting, “I don’t want to sit with you. Kris hyung please change seats with me. At least then I will be able to see my Kitty.”

Kris was more than happy to sit next to Siwon and they began to talk shop. Luhan continued to watch Taemin and Kibum. Soo and Doc were busy feeding Junsu who was equally busy spitting out everything they put in his mouth. There was a pile of soiled paper napkins next to Soo.

I couldn’t see the couple struggling anymore and asked Junsu to be given to me. He was passed from one person to another till he reached me. We rubbed noses together. Babies smelled so good. Then I sat him down in my lap and handed him a spoon and filled a bowl of rice for him to eat by himself. He saw how everyone was eating and began to put rice in his mouth. He spilled a lot but I didn’t let it bother me. It could be cleaned later. I fed him some meat and vegetables in between which he happily accepted and munched on. Soon he was pointing to the food he wanted me to feed him.

Soo and Doc were looking at us and I smiled at them. “Don’t baby him. He nearly a year old. If he can walk on his own, he can eat too. Children his age want to behave like everyone else. If you treat him differently, he will reject it.” They nodded in understanding.

I put more rice in Junsu’s bowl and he smiled at me and continued eating. Then he pointed at Ji being fed by Puppy, squealed ‘imo’ and banged his spoon on the table in joy of doing the same thing as his grown up aunt. Ji gave him a big smile in return.

Chan Yeol was still talking to Uncle and imo. Junsu poked his arm with his spoon and squealed ‘imo’ again. That made Chan Yeol look at Ji and his face broke into a huge smile. His joy at simply looking at her was so obvious. I watched imo and Uncle follow his smile to Ji’s return smile at him and then look at each other.

Chan Yeol forgot to complete his conversation with Uncle and ate the remaining food looking at Jjong feeding Ji. I could feel Ji and Chan Yeol getting lost in their own silent world. It was as if the rest of us ceased to exist for them.

I thought to myself, they deserved a little privacy even if they created it on their own during a crowded meal. After all they had confessed to liking each other earlier. On Chan Yeol’s part it was a confession of love.

According to Puppy and I, Ji needed someone like Chan Yeol who would stop her from being too serious in life. Someone who’d make her laugh, who’d make her talk. Someone who was full of effortless fun. Even if their long distance courtship didn’t work out, we knew we’d need to find a person like him for her.

When dinner was over, imo supervised Sam and William’s dinner making sure they ate her special dishes. We talked leisurely on the table which was the only place that had seating for all of us. Kai and Sehun wanted to know if Chan Yeol could stay the night. I guided them to talk to Uncle as he was the head of the family. Uncle thought for a few moments and gave his permission.

William and family went home and we were still talking. Taemin moved to sit next to Kibum again and began playing with his fingers. Children had pulled Chan Yeol into the living room to play x-box with them. Junsu had fallen asleep in my arms. Ji changed his clothes and tucked him into her bed. Imo tried to talk to her but she pointedly ignored her mother.

Kris and Luhan were talking with Doc and discussing about his Nobel Prize and other researches. Finally, Luhan couldn’t contain his curiosity and began asking Doc about how he and Soo got married. He haltingly related the story. Actually it was more like Kris and Luhan extracting it out from him.

Duckie sat in Siwon’s lap and hugged him again and again. Her joy at the reunion was making Siwon very emotional. Heechul sat next to them rubbing his back. After some time, he wanted Duckie to sit in his lap but Siwon refused to let her go. With a loud huff Heechul plucked Duckie off Siwon’s lap and occupied her place and then put her in his own lap. Siwon happily wrapped his long arms around both of them.

I nudged Kris and Luhan to look at the trio hugging each other and shedding silent tears. I whispered to them that Siwon and Heechul were together for eighteen years and had not lived a single day apart from each other. I told them how Heechul became a recluse and stayed away from society for eight years just to be with Siwon.

I pointed to TaeKey and told how Kibum had transformed himself from a shy innocent boy to a fashionista just to please Taemin. And then to keep the family line going he had undergone the risky experiment of male pregnancy. For all his Divaness, till date he put the needs of the family above his own. From an arranged marriage, love had blossomed. Taemin was still a handful but Kibum loved him unconditionally.

“The difference between both of you and them is that they don’t hesitate to tell their partners how much they are appreciated. They show their love and affection constantly. They work to keep things from becoming routine and do not let boredom settle in. They live each day as if it was their last day on earth. For a marriage to retain the spark takes a lot of work. But that work becomes fun when it is done the right way.”

Not just Kris and Luhan, even Doc nodded at my words. He was also listening to me carefully. “I am not saying your marriages or partners are not happy with you. But you have settled into a routine which you are finding difficult to overcome. I can only ask you to find new ways to make your wives happy, both in and out of bed. Recreate your honeymoon for one anniversary, your falling in love for another. Create special memories just for the two of you. If your wife has moles, do you know how many and where? Have you ever played hickey war? Such small things can go a long way in spicing up your life. End of lecture. I am not discussing this topic again.” I suddenly announced just as Kris and Luhan were widening their eyes on hearing about hickey war.

I sat back, smiled and watched the three recover from my monologue. I could see their brains filing away the information. They looked at the couples I had mentioned even more carefully. Jjong came over to wrap his arms around me from behind and kiss the top of my head. I smiled up at him and kissed his hands. He went back to his chair and his conversation with Soo. Imo and Uncle were still trying to coax Ji to talk to them.

I suddenly realized how much I’d missed everyone. They drove me crazy sometimes. But I loved each and every one.

And it looked like three more were added that night into the craziness that we called family.