Young Celebs

Forever Till The End

7.  YOUNG CELEBS

 

In the morning, we all woke up early and dressed to drop Jjong to the hotel and do a quick round of grocery shopping for lunch and dinner. When we entered the grocery store, we found everyone staring at us. I checked and there was nothing wrong with our appearance. I asked one of the staff the reason why he was staring at us. He directed me towards the newspaper section.

I picked up that day’s newspaper to see a photograph of Sehun kissing a grinning Minx on the cheek. The rest of our family was also there in another photograph. The bold headline read, “First Male Pregnancy Girl Engaged”. The accompanying article talked about upcoming marriage of Minx and Sehun. The rest of us were also mentioned. The article ended with a promise of a more detailed interview with me at a later date. It was a well-written article maintaining the spirit in which I had answered the questions at the airport.

Kids had followed me and were reading their own copies of the newspaper. Sehun and Minx high fived and I had to buy multiple copies of the newspaper for each child’s holiday scrap book.

Amber whispered to me, “Ummappa should I accept Kai’s confession? He is the first male pregnancy child.”

“If that’s the only reason, then don’t accept it. Love Kai for the person he is. If you accept him for any other reason it will be unfair to both of you.” I whispered back.

She nodded in understanding. We quickly finished our shopping. As our groceries were bagged, the store manager offered us 10% discount on all our current and future purchases if we let him take some photographs of our family in his store. Ji winked at me as we all posed according to the store manager’s directions. He even wanted one photograph of Sehun and Minx like in the newspaper. Sehun looked at me for permission and I nodded. They happily posed together. In the end he handed us a handwritten personal note of 10% discount on all our shopping at their store for the duration of our stay.

With the amount of dinners we’d be hosting during our stay, the discount would go a long way in maintaining our holiday budget. Sehun took my phone and clicked pictures of the article and the photograph. He sent the pics to his parents, brother, and a few school friends before returning the phone to me. He sat back satisfied, holding Minx’s hand.

“Ummappa, can I now hold Minx’s hand in public?”

Ji and I laughed as I nodded. Fate was plotting against me. I just hoped the kids reached at least the legal age before we had to marry them. “Only hold hands in public. If either of you kiss the other in public, I am going to leave one of you behind in Australia.”

They just grinned at my threat. I looked at Byong and Duckie to find their noses squashed on the car window as they stared at the buildings, houses and people we drove past.

Amber took my phone to message her father why he or Hyukkie were not getting pregnant? Ji and I laughed harder at her whining. She thought and told me her plan, “Ummappa I have decided I will marry Kai if he will get pregnant with the kids.”

“Amber you should marry Kai because you love him not to make him carry the babies.” Ji advised her.

“Of course I love him unnie. But I will not say it to him. He has to work harder to win me. And I want more than just a confession.” Amber smiled in satisfaction.

“Harder than two years? You are an evil girl Amber.” I wagged my finger at her.

“Be careful or someone else will snatch him away.” Ji pointed out a simple fact.

Amber shrugged, “If he is so easily snatched away than it’s his loss. I have a few boys to choose from. He is not the only one to confess to me.”

“What kind of love is that Amber?” I was puzzled.

“Practical ummappa. Practical. If Kai cannot remain loyal towards me for a few years, how will he manage a lifetime?”

I stared at Amber. She had a very valid point. Ji began laughing once again at my shocked reaction. Oh my god, I was surrounded by kids who were too mature for their age. What happened to the innocence we had when I was growing up?

“Oppa you are a relic of a bygone era. This is the new generation. Get used to it.” Ji read my thoughts and patted my hand in comfort.

William, that’s what our chauffeur insisted we call him, helped us carry the groceries to the apartment. We invited him for breakfast but he’d already had his. I asked him to recommend a good housekeeper for the duration of our stay to mainly help with kitchen work. Ji and I prepared breakfast as the children made all the beds and collected the laundry. While we ate, we drew up plans for the coming days.

Every day, it would be study and work time after breakfast till lunch. Children would study with Ji’s help, while I did my hagwon work on my laptop. I’d prepare lunch and the study time would end only when lunch was ready. After lunch, we could go out to explore the city till evening. Then it was tv and games for the children while Ji and I prepared dinner. Weekends were activity days with Jjong and we set them aside to explore Australia.

After breakfast we set the schedule into motion for the children. Ji and I drew up their lesson plans and sat them down to do self-study. We were available to answer any doubts and questions. Ji began the laundry while I set the kitchen in order. Then we began lunch preparations and menu planning for the dinner. We discussed the newspaper report as we worked.

My phone rang and it was Heechul. Jjong must have sent our new numbers to everyone back home.

“Jinx you just have to make headlines wherever you go! Hyemi noona showed me Sehun’s messages. I hope the media is not stalking you.”

“Calm down Cinder. Everything is under control. It was just a five minute interview at the airport. But we did get 10% discount offer from the local grocery store for more photographs.”

“And you agreed I am sure. When will you learn to be exclusive?”

“Do you even know the amount of food we’ll be cooking from today on? Our entire holiday budget will be cooked away within a week. This discount offer was too good to pass up.”

“I hope you dressed Duckie in nice clothes. You can’t let down my image Jinx.”

“Stop it you worry wart. She was looking like a princess and posed very nicely for the photographs. The reporter has asked for a family interview at a later date. We will schedule a date for when you come here.”

“Let me confirm with appa. I don’t want him to get in trouble because of any interviews I give there.”

“Puppy also will be sending a request for permission to the department. Do you know he is the youngest team leader here?”

“Too bad my Simba is technologically challenged. Let me talk to the kids. And stay out of newspapers.”

I laughed at his advice and gave the phone to Duckie first. Every child spoke to him before the call ended. We were putting the food on the table when William’s family arrived. We were introduced to his wife Samantha who was a tall shy woman about Jjong’s age. Older son Robert was nearly as tall as Sehun and younger son Donald was Minx’s height. I was not surprised as William was nearly half a foot taller than me.

I invited them to eat while the food was still hot. We showed them how to eat Korean style. Just like William the day before, they enjoyed the meal once they had hesitantly tasted it. William was grinning as if a personal prediction had come true. We managed to finish everything on the table. Children took Robert and Donald to the living room to talk and play board games.

Samantha and William insisted on helping us clear the table and kitchen. As we chatted amicably about Korean food, William brought up the topic of my morning request. Ji looked hopefully at him, “Have you already found us someone?”

Samantha shyly spoke up, “I am in between jobs. If you want I can help you out daily. However, I am not allowed to do heavy work.”

I was immediately concerned, “What happened?”

William filled in when she fell silent, “She suffered a late miscarriage last year and since then has been unable to work properly as a housekeeper. If you are willing, I can do the heavy work for her.”

Ji went and hugged Samantha while I patted William’s back in comfort. “I don’t mind. Basically, we need help in the kitchen because we are expecting almost daily round of dinners for a number of guests. Ji and I will do the main cooking but if someone can help with the preparations and the cleanup afterwards, it will free me up for my office work in the morning and with my partner in the night. Is that okay with you?”

“Not just kitchen, we will do the complete housework. After all you are on your holiday. And I can see you do not make any mess. Even with five children the house is really clean and so is the kitchen.” Samantha responded.

“We are expecting more guests in a few days.” I warned.

“It’s alright. I am used to looking after large families. I am the eldest of 10 children.” Samantha explained, waving away my warning.

“Alright. I will come straight to the point then. How much should we pay every week?” I was glad to have immediate help.

“Nothing Mr Lee. I am happy that Samantha will be busy once again. We just have two requests.” William was hesitant.

“I refuse to accept your help for free. But please do tell me what’s on your mind.” I probed.

“Boys have holidays till this Sunday. It is Monday today. Their school will reopen next Monday. We request permission to bring them with us every day till then and after school from next Monday. Also, can you teach Samantha how to cook Korean food?”

I began laughing. “Is that all? Of course bring over your boys. If you have no objection, they can even accompany us on our afternoon outings. We’ll be happy to teach you Korean cooking provided you teach us Australian food.”

It was a happy arrangement for both sides. I did confirm something that worried me, “I hope the boys will be a congenial influence on Sehun and Byong. I have heard about the open culture in Australia and want to be careful with my future son-in-law.”

Samantha laughed so hard that she had to sit down and wipe her tears. “I read the morning papers Mr Lee and your daughter and her beau have become quite famous. Don’t worry! My boys are well-behaved and a little timid. Your children will be a good influence on them and maybe help them come out of their shyness.”

“That’s that then. I am relieved. If Byong gets corrupted, Duckie’s father will skin me alive. He has his heart set on marrying them off some day. Do bring the school books of your boys as all the kids will be studying from breakfast till lunch. That’s the house rule.”

Ji interrupted us with her own question, “Oppa what do I call her. I feel odd using her name. Can I call her unnie?”

At Samantha’s questioning glance, she explained the meaning of oppa and unnie. Sam wanted to know what her boys should call our teen trio according to Korean manner. She seemed quite fascinated with our lives. Ji next explained hyung and noona concept to her. Sam and Ji went to explain it Robert and Donald also.

We decided that William would come with his family every morning and every one would have all their meals with us. Sam would teach us to cook Australian breakfast and lunch. Dinner would be pure Korean meals.

I excitedly messaged Jjong.

Jagi we got a housekeeper. William’s wife.

That’s great yeobo. I was worried about you working so much.

Love you. How many for dinner?

Lov u too. 8 – 3 aussie, 1 french, 3 korean, 1 german

Korean food?

Totally. Go all out yeobo

Time?

We’ll b there at 7. Dinner at 8? We’ll get liquor

Ok get some mocktails for kids and Ji & read today’s newspaper

Kekekeke read it. our kids r awesome

Totally kekeke

Gotta go now lv u

Lv u 2

“Oppa even here you two are messaging? Come on give it a rest. Stop smiling like a fool. You’ve been together for 10 years now. Such smiles should be illegal.” Ji whined.

“Ah Ji you will understand when you find your Jonghyun in life.” I kissed her cheeks. She blushed.

We quickly planned for a feast for dinner. We needed to make another trip to the grocery store. Ji left with the kids and Sam. I sat down and caught up with my work. The penthouse had a good wi-fi connection. I quickly got on NateOn and found both Heechul and Kibum logged in as well. We began a video conference and first thing I did was to tease Kibum. I transferred the pics from my phone to them and put my hands over my ears.

Kibum shrieked like a girl. Heechul and I laughed. It felt good to needle Kibum. His reaction was so predictable. He immediately called Tae and began shrieking incoherently. Heechul and I watched as it took Tae some time to calm down the wound up Key. When he stopped shrieking, he got up and began jumping around while talking to Tae.

“Hyung, we have to go. We have to. No, I will not listen to anything. We are going. I am asking Heechul hyung to book our tickets also. If you don’t agree, don’t talk to me for rest of my life. How can you say you love me and not listen to such a small thing I am requesting? Yes it is a request. No it is not a tantrum. Please please please hyung. Pretty please. What kind of a husband are you? I said so many pleases. Fine. If you don’t agree, don’t bother to come to my bedroom. I will shift all your stuff to the guest room. Leave me and my bedroom alone you heartless monster.”

We watched in amazement as the last two words calmed him and he sat down and smiled at us. “Heechul hyung book three tickets for us also. Tae hyung, Kai and me.”

“But Key Tae didn’t agree.” Heechul sputtered.

“He will agree. He has a few days. We are coming to Australia with you. That’s final.”

“Cinder better ask Uncle and Doc also.” I suggested. My mind was already working on renting another apartment. We should have rented the whole building. Why couldn’t everyone make up their mind at the right time? Why must it always be at the last moment?

I had a silent tantrum in my mind.

“Jinx stop your mental tantrums. You love us anyway.” Heechul grinned.

I poked out my tongue at him. BFFs shouldn’t know you so well.

“Hyung you are now 40. Act your age. Stop poking tongue at us.” Kibum added his two bits.

“Look who is talking. The Tantrum Diva at 38.” I made quotations in the air.

“I am only 37. And I expect a top of the line laptop for my birthday this year. Maybe a MacBook.” Kibum wagged his finger at me.

“Keep dreaming. I am not Tae that you can kick out of your bed.” I waved his demands away and leaned back in my chair.

“Whatever hyung. I will send Tae hyung to live with you if I don’t get my desired birthday gift.”

“Key are you sure you don’t want Jinx to gift you a Tulip E-go Gemstone?” Heechul interrupted.

“Hee hyung I want an expensive gift, not drive Jinki hyung bankrupt. Moreover if I carry TEG around, I will definitely be kidnapped.” Kibum responded coolly.

“That spoilt brat you call your husband? No way will he live with me.” I sat up straight horrified at the thought of Tae living in our home, my mind focused only on Tae.

“He was your brother first before becoming my husband. If you don’t want me to drop him off at your doorstep after my birthday, better get me what I want.” Kibum smiled innocently at us.

I stared at him open mouthed. I just couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I was definitely going to have nightmares at night. I somehow managed to speak, “You are a very evil man Bummie.”

“I am your brother-in-law after all hyung. After so many years I will definitely resemble the family.” Kibum smirked.

The dratted man had an answer for everything. I huffed and pouted. I hated losing verbal battles to him. I raced my mind. “Bummie how about getting your photograph on the front page of Australian newspapers? Will that be a good enough birthday gift?”

“Bingo hyung. That’s exactly what I wanted. You really know me so well. You are the best hyung ever.” Kibum got up and did a victory dance.

Heechul looked at Kibum speculatively, his brain filing away the evil ways of manipulating me.

“I am ending this conversation. I don’t want to work with manipulative people who have no mercy on poor me.” I said while banging my head on the table.

“Stop being a drama queen Jinx. It does not suit you at all. What else is happening there?” Heechul brushed off my little antics before I could even turn them into a full-blown tantrum.

“You are turning into an old hag is what’s happening. And I want to talk about work now.” I made a face at him.

“Don’t keep looking in the mirror Jinki hyung. Work is all fine. We are doing better now that you are away. What is happening in Australia?” Kibum’s verbal assault began again.

“I knew I’d regret making you a partner.” I whined at Kibum. He remained unaffected, just arching his one brow superiorly at me.

“Fine. Dumb blondes.” I took a dig at their hair colors. Both shrugged. “We are having dinner for 8 persons of different nationalities tonight.”

“So you are going to be busy in the kitchen?” Heechul probed.

“We hired a housekeeper to help today. She will teach us Australian food and we will teach her Korean.  So, no I don’t plan to spend my entire holiday in the kitchen. Right now everyone is out grocery shopping.”

We discussed the menu for dinner and some helpful suggestions were made by Hee and Kibum. When the kids arrived, they all crowded around the laptop to talk to Hee umma and Key umma. Duckie gave the screen a big kiss for Heechul who promptly burst into tears. Only my threat to end the video con stopped his sprinklers. Amber asked them to see if they could persuade DongHae and Hyukkie to have a child. She was one persistent girl.

Ji and I left the kids to talk with them and we began preparing for dinner with Sam. It was almost ready by the time it was six. We gave the children an early dinner as we didn’t have a table large enough to seat everyone. After that we arranged the side dishes on the table and anything that didn’t need to be hot at the time of serving. Then we showed Sam how to heat and arrange the main course on the table. William came to help her in serving dinner.

Plates were fixed for snacks to have with the drinks. Ji and I quickly showered and changed for dinner. I was putting my hair brush down when the doorbell rang. Kids waited for me to open the door. Jjong made the introductions. The ones to garner immediate attention were our celebrities for the day. Both Sehun and Minx tolerated their cheeks pulled by our guests who adored their cuteness.

We had drinks and snacks while we talked about general topics. I guided our guests into telling us their feedback for their work day. Children sipped their mocktails and listened attentively as the day’s events were related in a very funny manner by the French team leader.

Dinner was even more fun when our guests tried to use chopsticks we’d brought from home. The chopsticks were thinner and sleeker than what our guests were used to. After many misses and slips, they gave up and all of us used fork and spoon.

German team leader wanted to carry back a pair of our chopsticks to practice with. I promised him a pair after two weeks and made a mental note to tell Heechul to buy and bring Korean chopsticks with him. All our foreign guests requested to have a pair too.

It was a boisterous dinner with free flowing liquor and laughter. The food was consumed with equal gusto and enjoyment. Jjong sat at the head of the table beaming proudly at me and Jiyeon.

Our Australian guests insisted we visit their homes some time soon. Marc and Viktor, French and German team leaders, wanted us to visit their country. We took many photographs before they departed for the hotel. As we came up after seeing them off, Puppy hugged me from behind.

“Oh yeobo, thank you for a wonderful dinner. You are really the best party host I know.”

“Flatterer. You hardly know any other party hosts except imo, Heechul and Kibum.”

He kissed my cheek. “And you are still the best.”

I laughed and pulled him into the apartment to introduce him to our new housekeeper and family. William and Sam had cleared the table and cleaned the kitchen by that time. We insisted they have dinner before leaving. Puppy and I served them and the kids wanted to eat again too. Ji and I whipped up a quick chicken and vegetable noodle soup for them to tuck into. Everyone sat at the dining table and talked while we cooked with Sam’s help.

It didn’t take long for all the stomachs to fill up. Sam put the utensils in the dishwasher and left for the day with her family. Kids had quick showers and tucked into their beds sleeping off as soon as their heads touched the pillows, Byong and Sehun still camped in the living room.

Puppy and I softly talked as we cuddled after a long day apart. We shared the drama of our day and tried to keep our laughter quiet. Suddenly Puppy pulled me up from the bed and into the balcony taking our comforter with us. The cold air hit us briefly before he wrapped us in the warm comforter.

“Yeobo remember DisneyLand?”

I nodded and grinned. My Puppy was the best ever.