Day In Seoul

Forever Till The End

35. DAY IN SEOUL

 

We arrived at 9 in the morning at the Incheon airport. First thing that the kids did in the arrival lounge was play tag to stretch their legs. Even baby Junsu insisted his father take him for a walk around the area.

Before Jjong’s team dispersed at the airport to travel back to their homes, we gave our special gifts to them that I had purchased separately at the airport – small but beautifully framed silk paintings of kangaroos. I didn’t want them to forget the time they spent with Jjong. We had even picked a large, special silk embroidery wall frame for Heechul’s father and a smaller one for Chan Yeol’s parents. Both artworks were one of a kind.

Sehun and Kai refused to part from Chan Yeol. They insisted he spend the day with them in Seoul. Their whining made Uncle throw up his hands and agree. Beagle called his parents to let them know he’d be late to return home. Heechul’s father had sent two big vans to take us to his house. As we entered the house, Beagle forgot to close his mouth. I doubted he had thought of visiting a minister’s home any time soon. It took a gentle tap from Puppy to close that gaping mouth.

Duckie and Byong ran to Abeoji and vied for his attention. Finally, Siwon had to ask them to pipe down so the rest of us could at least greet Heechul’s father. We had to literally pull out Chan Yeol from his hiding place behind uncle. He loudly squeaked “ummappa” as I introduced him to abeoji.

Abeoji smiled at him and raised his brows at me, “Jinki another one? How can you adopt another one in Australia?”

“Abeoji we thought our family needed a Beagle this time,” Puppy joked, making him laugh.

Beagle immediately hid behind me and Puppy. How he thought he’d succeed was beyond us, as he was much taller than either of us.

“Come here boy. Stop hiding. I don’t bite.” Abeoji called him out and we pushed Beagle forward. But before Abeoji could say anything further, Duckie and Byong demanded his attention once again much to Beagle’s relief.

After freshening up and having breakfast, we decided on how to go about our day. Puppy and Siwon went to the KPA head quarters with the Fearsome Four and Beagle. Taemin left to inspect and do his real estate deals. Imo, Uncle, Abeoji, Soo, Teukkie and Ji played with Junsu, Duckie and Byong in the garden.

Heechul, Kibum and I went to the conference room to prepare for our meetings. We had all the required data in my laptop and we set up the projector display quickly. We first met with the existing franchisees and reviewed the work and any problems faced by them. After lunch, we met with the new franchisees with Taemin also present.

Puppy, Siwon and the older kids had gone to Beagle’s home for lunch on his mother’s insistence. Our meetings were nearly over by the time they returned. Hee, Kibum, and the ladies went shopping with Duckie, Minx and Amber in tow. Sehun and Kai fished out the xbox again from our bags and divided into teams with the rest of us to play a few hours of competitive games. Beagle had lost his awe of Abeoji by the end of the game, and was teaching him the fine art of virtual sports.

I sat down after some time to calm my worried mind with cups of sweet tea. Puppy held my hand and tried to soothe me further with his review of lunch at Beagle’s house. According to him, Beagle’s grandfather was mild in temperament and his mother was soft spoken with a good sense of humor. They had a house much like ours in Daegu and lived just as unpretentiously.  

“Yeobo, I think imo and Uncle will like the family and give their blessings for a quick wedding.” Puppy sounded hopeful.

“And if they don’t, our home will be a constant war zone with a pouting Ji. You know how headstrong she is. I don’t think imo will agree. It’s only been a month since they met.” I had my doubts.

“Don’t worry yeobo, he is right for Ji. I have no doubts about it. Ji also knows it. It’s not as if she lacked for male company before.” Puppy tried to ease my doubts.

“I trust your judgement jagi. But in the times when most couples know each other for a long time and first live in before marrying, our family is a throwback. I am the odd one out as the only person to have had a long courtship and a live in relationship and that too during the time when it was uncommon.” I smiled at my own life.

“Yeobo, you must always do things in reverse order and out of sync with the century we are in.” Puppy kissed my hand as he teased me. “You just needed me in your life to make it go right. We first lived in and then married.”

My Puppy’s teasing was just what I needed to break my tension. I smiled brightly at him, “I am so glad right now that we don’t have to go through this with Minx. I have never felt more comfortable with the thought of Minx’s wedding with Sehun than I do at this moment.”

Puppy laughed with me, “Yeobo, you really have a way with words and explaining situations in the weirdest manner possible.”

We moved on to talk about his visit to the KPA head quarters and report submission. He had been teased by some of his superiors for his family tagging along on what usually turned out to be dreary and long training sessions. Siwon had discussed with his father-in-law and, in our family’s time old fashion, invited a few senior officers for dinner with us. According to Siwon, it never hurt to sweeten the “old geezers.”

The dinner really promised to be interesting. We had Siwon and Puppy looking out for their promotions and imo and uncle meeting Beagle’s parents. We went to the kitchen to discuss with the cooks about the planned menu.

Chan Yeol’s family arrived only a little later than our shoppers. Thankfully, Ji had rushed to freshen up for dinner immediately on their return from the market. We’d wisely refrained from teasing her, even Tae behaved soberly. Giving everyone time to refresh themselves, Beagle’s family was welcomed by Siwon, Puppy, Taemin, Teukkie and me. I still failed to understand why Kibum and Heechul needed as much time as the females to dress up. Abeoji had a work-related call and joined us after a few minutes. Imo didn’t let Uncle join us either. He scowled at her as he waited.

Puppy was right. Beagle’s mother was very sweet and friendly looking. She had a winning smile just like her son.

“Umma, appa please make a good impression on noona’s parents. It’s all in your hands now to make them agree.” Chan Yeol whined for the umpteenth time according to Puppy, making his mother pat his cheek and his grandfather grin at him with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Beagle, don’t worry. Things will be alright. We are also there.” Puppy tried to ease him.

“Puppy appa, how can I not worry? I will simply die without noona. You must make them agree. You promised me.” Beagle turned his whining to Puppy, addressing him the way we all did.

“With Beagle and Puppy, you already sound like a part of the family Chan Yeol.” Abeoji laughed at the duo and asked Siwon to serve the drinks to our guests.

Teukkie sat on Beagle’s other side and rubbed his back, “You are more than half way there Beagle. Umma just likes to give us a hard time. Don’t start behaving like Sehun and undo all your hard work till now.”

The kids entered with Ji and another round of introductions was performed. Sehun immediately turned to Teukkie, “Gomobu, I don’t whine.”

Teukkie raised his brows, “Really Sehun? When it is anything related to Minx you actually do.” He serenely smiled to take the sting away from his words.

“Ummappa, I don’t. Please tell gomobu that I don’t whine.” Sehun was quick to show us how true Teukkie’s assessment was.

Beagle forgot his own pains when faced with Sehun’s behavior. He stared at Ji who was trying hard not to blush as she tried to look everywhere else but at Beagle’s family after the initial greetings. Beagle’s family was trying hard not to stare at her but was unsuccessful. As Sehun’s whining continued, I saw a smile spread across Beagle’s mother’s face. She looked at his father and nodded her head. His grandfather asked Ji to sit next to him and began talking in a low voice with her. Ji looked at Beagle and he gave her two thumbs up and his radiant smile in encouragement. She turned a little pink after that and paid her full attention to Beagle’s grandfather.

Rest of our family joined in the next few minutes, and I made Minx get up from next to Mrs Park to make space for imo to sit. Uncle sat with Beagle’s father and Siwon. Duckie and Byong climbed into Abeoji’s lap to engage him in their recounting of their Australian adventure. Kibum and Heechul turned into hosts for the evening and made sure everyone was comfortable and had their preferred drinks in hand.

Puppy rubbed my back as I started worrying again. We listened to imo and Beagle’s mother talk about their respective careers, ex-career in case of Mrs Park. Imo was asked about our trip to Australia and she in turn asked about Beagle’s further education. Their conversation soon turned to their respective children with both of them agreeing that their love was very unexpected.

“Pardon my forwardness, but was your marriage arranged by your parents?” Imo asked.

“Yes. Yours?”

“Ji’s father and I were childhood sweethearts.”

“Oh, so you know what it is like to be in love then?”

“Yes. I remember how he used to visit me when I was in college in another city. His mother would be very upset each time because he wouldn’t tell anyone at home.” Imo laughed at her memory of young Uncle.

“I think Channie will be like that too. But, I won’t stop him from visiting Daegu. He has already told me he will go every weekend to meet your daughter. I hope that you won’t mind his frequent visits.” Beagle’s mother smiled at imo as she made her request on her son’s behalf.

“Don’t you feel Jiyeon is too old for him? He can wait a few years and find a girl nearer his age.” Imo had her own questions to be answered first.

“In love does age really matter? He has never shown any interest in anyone before. I am glad when he did fall in love it is with your daughter. Anyone who can spend so much time talking to an old man is very good at heart. You must be very proud to have a daughter like her.” Beagle’s mother smiled in Ji’s direction seeing how she was still deep in conversation with his grandfather.

Imo’s eyes shone at the compliment. Beagle’s mother had won her over with one simple yet sincere comment. The rest of the dinner progressed smoothly after that. Senior officers too enjoyed meeting with our family and Abeoji. All in all, I mentally declared the evening a complete success.

Sehun and Kai left with Beagle and his parents for their promised sleep over. After all our police agency guests departed, Heechul arranged for coffee to be served for all of us so we could dissect the dinner. Duckie and Byong went to sleep in our arms and Junsu had already slept off during the dinner.

“Imo set an early wedding date.” Kibum implored.

“I have not even said yes and you are talking about wedding dates.” Imo was annoyed.

“You were laughing all through the dinner with his mother. What more is needed to tell us you agree?” Taemin jumped in.

“I still need to discuss with your Uncle Tae. Hold your horses.” Imo evaded the answer.

“I will run away from home.” Ji whispered and Puppy immediately hushed her. She went to sit in his lap again and he tried to calm her down.

Abeoji began laughing again, “This reminds me of your time Hee. I gave Siwon just as hard a time.”

“How can we agree? They’ve known each other only a month.” Uncle voiced their same old doubt again.

“The family won’t change even if they know each other for a year,” Abeoji gave his logic. “The question is, do you like the family? At Siwon’s request two weeks ago, I made discreet enquiries here. The whole family is well liked by their neighbors and work colleagues. They are not rolling in money, but are comfortably settled. None of them have any bad vices. They even consume alcohol in moderation. The boy’s school history is good, no interest in girls like his mother told you Dae Hei.” He smiled as he addressed imo directly. “He has been serious only about his work and studies. He has a healthy bank balance and is financially well settled, even though he is just 19 years of age.”

We were surprised at the effort made by him on our behalf. Puppy teased Siwon, “Super you are super secretive.”

“Jjong do you think Ji is only your sister? I have to look out for her well being too.” Siwon flushed as he explained. “Come here Ji, you shouldn’t let Jjong hog all your attention.” He shifted to make space for Ji next to him. When Ji sat down, he wrapped an arm around her, “Be very sure this is what you want Ji. Marriage is hard work for life. There is no turning back.”

“Oppa I am sure. I love him. My heart and mind will not change.” Ji answered in a whisper as she reddened in embarrassment.

Siwon looked questioningly at imo and Uncle. They had listened to every thing that was said with careful attention and how everyone was equally concerned about Ji’s happiness. We waited with baited breath for their verdict.

Uncle finally spoke, “I liked his father. He was very down to earth and even in Australia I thought him wise from the way he directed his son’s interest in computers. Chan Yeol could have turned into a hacker like so many other teenage boys. But, his father channeled his intelligence and knowledge into a good career.” He looked at imo, “Dae Hei, the boy has a good family who will look after our daughter. Chan Yeol also is serious and mature for his age in many ways. And he loves Ji a lot.”

Imo teared up, “I don’t want her to marry so soon. She is only 22. How can I send her so far away from me?”

Kibum and I who were sitting on imo’s side hugged her together. “Imo, Seoul is only a couple of hours by train. We have asked her and Beagle to visit every weekend. Beagle has promised.” I consoled imo with the promise.

“Every girl has to leave her home at one stage of her life imo.” Kibum had his own logic to calm imo. “Didn’t Soo get married and go to live with Teukkie hyung? And how often does she visit you now? Once a week? Life goes on imo. Didn’t you know it in your heart that one day you will have to part from them? That’s the cycle of life. If you don’t agree so you can keep her with you, think how upset Ji will be with you. Do you really want that just to make her stay? Is it fair on her?”

“Imo, didn’t Kitty leave his parents after marriage? And I don’t even let him visit them that often. And Jinki hyung went to live in Incheon after his marriage to Minho maehyung. We didn’t meet him for a year. Come on, Chan Yeol is a good boy.” Taemin also tried to persuade imo.

Siwon gently pushed Ji towards imo. Ji went and sat in imo’s lap, and Kibum and I included her in our hug. “Umma I promise to visit you every weekend and any other time Yeollie has a holiday from work. Please umma I love him. Please say yes. If you want, Yeollie can come and live with us. His mother has agreed for that also. When she is willing to part with her only son for the sake of his love for me, you still have Soo unnie and Jinki oppa living near and with you.”

“How can you forget to mention me Ji?” Puppy squawked when his name was not mentioned.

“Oh yes, you also have Jinki oppa’s lapdog living with you umma.” Soo teased Puppy.

“Stop ganging up against me you evil people.” Imo tried to stop the emotional deluge from all of us. “Jinki let’s talk when its time for Minx to get married. See how Heechul is sitting silent. He knows my pain.”

“I am silent because I am sure I will go and live next door to Duckie when she marries.” Heechul gave a prompt response. “Or maybe Simba and I can move in with you and live in the room next to her. What do you say Jinx?” His words made all of us laugh and we let imo compose herself.

Ji whispered to imo again, “Umma please say yes. I really want to live my life with him.”

After a few long minutes, imo finally nodded her assent. Minx and Amber began dancing in victory. They pulled up all of us one by one to join them in an impromptu dance. Ji hugged imo and Uncle in happiness and they both tried to hide their tears from her. Puppy and I hugged them as well, knowing how emotional both were right then.   

Next morning, Uncle called Beagle’s father and made arrangements to meet them for breakfast. Puppy and I gave imo our silk art frame from Australia to present to Beagle’s parents. She was fretting about going empty handed. She smiled and hugged us in thanks.

We didn’t think it considerate for all of us to go, so Abeoji accompanied Ji, imo, uncle, Soo and Teukkie. We kept baby Junsu with us. I whispered to Teukkie to try for an early wedding. Abeoji wanted the wedding ceremony to be held in his house.

Puppy and I got an update from Beagle before everyone returned. Wedding date was set for less than a month away. There was loud laughter and screams from all of us on reading the short text from Beagle. The girls reminded everyone that 11th September was also the first day of Chuseok festival and they would have school holidays.

Puppy and I declared ourselves ready for the wedding as we had formal clothes from our own wedding in March. Even the kids wouldn’t need any new clothes as they had hardly grown in the past six months. Kibum and Heechul immediately began poking us for our miserliness after a lavish Australian holiday.

“Three weeks is too short to prepare our family for the wedding. Jinki hyung you cannot wear the same clothes. You have to go shopping with me.” Kibum slapped my shoulder to admonish me.

“Jinx children need new clothes. Key, don’t mind what he says. We will go shopping with the kids. He has no sense of media presence.” Heechul had his own version of wedding preparations.

I picked up Junsu and bounced around with him in my arms paying absolutely no attention to the two Divas.

“Forget about our clothes, we need to decide on wedding presents also.” Puppy diverted everyone’s attention.

“What about a surprise engagement for them? Cinderella, should we go and buy rings?” Siwon suggested.

“Ooh yes, let’s be quick. I think we need to give them their own pair of destiny rings. Hurry up everyone, we need to come back before they return,” Heechul agreed as he rushed to arrange for a vehicle for us. Puppy texted Beagle to come with his parents for lunch.

It took us a little over an hour and a lot of bickering to find the perfect rings for JiYeol. We ended up buying a pair for TaeKey as well. We couldn’t Tae’s anymore that they were the only ones who had not been presented with a pair of destiny rings.

We rely a few minutes before imo and Uncle entered the house with Beagle and his family. Sehun and Kai ran to Minx and Amber and the four began their own planning for the wedding. Kibum and Heechul went to check on lunch preparations. Siwon and Taemin checked Abeoji’s bar for champagne and arranged for glasses for everyone.

When everything was set, we announced our surprise engagement party. JiYeol blushed as we presented them with the rings. Somehow through all our arguments, we had managed to buy perfect sizes for both. We celebrated the engagement in our typical style with champagne, food and laughter.

Ji and Beagle were teased mercilessly by young and old. Heechul, Kibum and imo shed tears once again, making Abeoji also get tearful. We spent a lot of time consoling the four of them. Abeoji made us promise we’d come a few days prior to the wedding.

Beagle’s family promised to visit us in Daegu the same weekend as we took our leave from them in the evening to board our flight to go back home. Junsu kept repeating the new word he learnt that day, “Oh my god, imobu!” Every time he said it, Chan Yeol grinned and kissed him. Our Fearsome Four asked Beagle what he wanted to be called by them.

He smiled at Ji and answered without hesitation, “Gomobu.”