Little Lees

Forever Till The End

 

FTTE Family Tree 2023

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

58. LITTLE LEES

 

Two weeks passed and we met at Kibum’s for dinner. Amber was overdue her delivery date by a week and we had decided it was best to not make her travel much. Since the day we discussed Sehun’s conscription, Minho called Puppy everyday to take permission to talk to his friend about change in Sehun’s posting. Chan Yeol was upset that we did not inform him as he had an instant solution. He told me he could hack the military database and change Sehun’s posting in less time than it took us to say Camp Carroll. Puppy had for wanting to get in trouble. We wanted to keep Chan Yeol as our last option for the three youngsters.

My father hugged Sehun and thumped his back, “Good to know that you will be part of our illustrious army. Make us proud. Work hard and keep your head down. Listen to your superiors and don’t argue. Most important of all, don’t talk back. Follow the given orders without a word. Spread your sunshine and leave a mark in their history.”

Sehun nodded at his every advice and smiled, not wanting to show my father how worried he was about his upcoming parting from Minx and their children, “Yes harabeoji. You will have no cause for complaint. I will make our family proud.”

Appa was very happy to hear his confidence and insisted that he share drinks with him to celebrate. Sehun, who was only an occasional drinker, tried to hide his lack of enthusiasm. My father was notorious in our family for not knowing drinking limits of youngsters and getting them drunk. He meekly followed my father, who also motioned to Minho to accompany them.

“Ahjeossi I have given up alcohol,” Minho informed my father.

“Nonsense, no one gives up alcohol. You will give us company tonight. It is your first dinner with our family after many years,” My father brushed aside Minho’s objections. He then looked around and called out more names to join him. “DongHae, Sunwoo, Leeteuk, join us.”

We all looked at each other as my father herded his little group to the living room. Kibum got snacks served for them. Heechul whispered in my ear, “You brought Minho here also? What happened to you and Jjong? Finally gone insane due to too much ?”

I ignored Heechul’s jab at our healthy intimacy, “Ask Taemin. He is the one who invited Minho. You know how attached he is to Minho,” I sighed at the thought that my brother loved Minho more than he loved me.

“How does Jjong tolerate him? Doesn’t he feel jealous that your ex-husband is around so much nowadays?” Heechul’s question aroused the interest of Soo in our whispered discussion.

I looked in disbelief at my best friend, “Do you know us so little Cinder? Puppy would be hurt if he heard you now. He is not an insecure person who needs constant reminders of my absolute devotion to him, or of the love our children have for him. It is the opposite. He says Minho’s presence gives us the perfect opportunity to hug and kiss in front of everyone. I think he is slowly torturing Minho as the ultimate revenge.” I chuckled at the thought. I dropped my voice lower as I continued with a blissful smile on my face, “Mmm Cinder, you won’t find me complaining. All those hugs and kisses drive me slowly crazy. We have pretty wild nights.” I wiggled my brows teasingly at Heechul.

Soo, who was listening, giggled and tried not to turn pink. I really couldn’t understand the fascination my sister had with our lives. Puppy pinched her shoulder, “Little Soo, are you learning something new?”

“You have a weird sense of . I am 37 now, call me big Soo. When one has naughty older brothers, one mustn’t lose any opportunity to learn new tricks,” Soo winked at Puppy.

“Then go get your husband out of the clutches of your uncle, else you will end up with a very drunk Teukkie. And a drunk Teukkie is a crybaby Teukkie,” Puppy turned her in the right direction.

“Oh no! I value my life too much. Imobu will skin me alive if I interrupt their drinking session,” Soo skittered away to find Amber.

Siwon coached and sent the babies to break up the drinking party. My father could not resist the cute requests of his great-grandchildren to let them play with their father and grandfathers.

Duckie suddenly ran towards us and shouted, “Amber unnie is in pain.”

We rushed to her side. Amber smiled at us and motioned us to sit down, “I just felt a slight back ache. I hope it’s not another false alarm. I really want to deliver now.”

Sehun and Leeteuk who were permanently ready, checked her and asked a few questions. Leeteuk then announced, “It might be her labor, but too soon to say anything. I don’t think we’ll be going to the hospital anytime soon.”

Jaejoong plonked himself at Amber’s feet and took out his phone to make more notes, “Noona tell me everything. I don’t want to miss any important point.” He earned himself a whack from Soo when he shouted to his father, “Appa can I be present when the babies are delivered?”

“Soo from where did you get this monkey? Are you sure he wasn’t swapped at birth?” Taemin laughed at Jaejoong’s pouting face.

“He’s gone on you Tae. You also never had any idea of what to say and when,” my mother smiled indulgently at Jaejoong and told him to get lollipops from her bedside drawer.

Baekhyun threw a barrage of questions at Amber. Ji coolly took out tape from her pocket and taped the boy’s mouth shut. “Thank you unnie for the idea,” She grinned at Soo.

Siwon got a call from his father-in-law. He nodded and said yes for a few minutes and then turned to us with a sad face. “Jinki, Jjong, abeoji called about Sehun,” Siwon hugged Sehun and hid his face in Sehun’s shoulder without completing his sentence.

“What Siwon appa? What happened? Is he still going to Yeonchon?” Minx hugged Sehun from behind.

“He is going to Camp Carroll as part of KATUSA,” Siwon mumbled and his body shook with relieved laughter.

Heechul began hitting Siwon, “You meanie. How could you scare me like that?”

Puppy and I hugged each other and then we joined our family in hugging Sehun. Minho stood to one side, smiling but unsure about what to do. Puppy pulled him into the family hug by wrapping his other arm around the taller man’s waist. Taeyong bit my thigh in an effort to get to his father. I picked him and Jungkook in my arms. Minho picked up Joohyun. The little Ohs squealed with glee when they were squished in the family hug. Baekhyun squirmed his way into the center and climbed into Sehun’s arms. Only Amber remained seated.

Suddenly Byong screamed, “Now I can marry in March as planned.”

“Yes, Byong. We will book rooms in our Jeju resort and hold your wedding celebrations there for one full week,” my father announced.

“I don’t think Sehun will get a week’s holiday so soon after joining,” DongHae cautioned with Chan Yeol agreeing, “It’s too soon.”

“Nonsense, I will call my friends and arrange for his leave,” my father refused to listen.

“We’ll have the wedding after Sehun is relieved from duty. For ten days. Let’s find a date when all the kids will have school holidays,” Siwon silenced everyone with his decision.

“February afer the school is over,” Junsu and Jaejoong yelled together. Yixing, Sooyoung and Baekhyun picked up the chant, “February, February, February.” Umma quickly put a lollipop in each of their mouths to silence them.

“I want to wear a pink hanbok,” Duckie announced.

“Pink hanboks are booked for Kibum and Heechul,” imo made every one laugh.

“I refuse to wear a dress. I will wear exactly same hanbok as Kai,” Amber made her preference known.

“I want to invite my friends,” Junsu shook Puppy. Leeteuk glared when Puppy nodded.

“I want to drink,” Jaejoong’s words silenced all the chatter.

This time it was Chan Yeol who hit him, “I don’t drink at the age of 31. You want to drink at 11!”

“Ouch imobu, it hurts. It’s not my fault that no one serves you any drinks because you are the maknae. I will be 14 at the time of wedding. I want to drink. Either you allow me or I will sneak in my own drinks.” Jaejoong made a face at his uncle.

“Do that and I will ground you till you are 21, the day after you come of age,” Leeteuk gnashed his teeth.

“I also want to drink hyung,” Baekhyun loudly whispered into Sehun’s ear. “I like drinking juice. How can appa say he doesn’t drink? He drinks juice all the time with me.” We broke up the hugs laughing in delight at Baekyun’s comment and relief that our family wouldn’t scatter.

Kai put Amber’s hospital bag in the car. As we had dinner, we timed Amber’s pain and it was regular at half hour intervals. After two hours, Sehun declared it to be labor when the duration between contractions decreased by five minutes and the intensity increased. Amber got ready to go to the hospital but her contractions were still too far apart. DongHae began pacing the floor in worry till my mother dispatched him to fetch Hyukkie’s parents.

Amber returned to the living room and asked Kai’s help to strap her ankle holster and gun. Kibum gaped at her, “Amber you don’t a need a gun to deliver your babies.”

“Key umma you are talking to someone who carried a gun through her wedding and honeymoon,” Minx turned Kibum away from Amber.

“Kai hyung, did noona keep the gun on her all the time? Even when you did you-know-what?” Byong teased his older brother.

“Byong I have it with me now and I can easily shoot your mouth if you ask any more questions about our honeymoon,” Amber glared at him. “Just think about not kissing Duckie ever again.”

“Why are all pregnant women crazy?” Byong smirked unfazed by the threat to his life.

“I think pregnant men are crazier. You had to see Kibum and Heechul.” My mother patted Amber’s back in comfort, “Amber is quite sane in comparison.”

“Those are some scary stories imo,” Ji pinched Heechul as she laughed. “Don’t tell them to Joongie. He is already bratty enough.”

Kai strapped the gun on Amber, as the teasing flowed around them. I heard her softly whisper to him, “If you leave my side for even a second, and leave me alone with our crazy family, I will use it on you. Remember.” Kai gulped and nodded, knowing that Amber wouldn’t hesitate to carry out her threat, irrespective of her love for him.

Puppy fetched banana and dates from the kitchen and began feeding Amber. Since she passed her delivery date, Puppy had made it a point to include banana and dates in her diet. Since she didn’t travel much, we’d brought her five meals a day to her. Once she had eaten, we began walking her.

Sehun’s parents took their grandchildren, Sooyoung and Baekhyun home with them as it appeared to become a long night for us. At the age of 10, Yixing felt he was too old to be counted among the early-sleeping children. Junsu, Jaejoong and Yixing went to sleep only when we promised to wake them up when it was time to go to the hospital.

It was nearly 4 in the morning when her labor progressed far enough to go to Teukkie’s hospital. Once there, a contraction monitor was immediately strapped to her abdomen and Teukkie injected his new medicine into her. It took only a few minutes for Amber to smile at Teukkie, “You are going to win another Nobel for this gomobu. Even though I can feel the muscles contracting, there is no pain. Thank you.”

Minx made a face, “Not fair Teukkie appa. I had to go through all the pain.”

Teukkie hugged Minx and kissed her head, “The medicine was still in the experimental stage, I was helpless. There was no way I would have risked your or the babies’ lives by giving you a medicine even I wasn’t sure about.”

With Sehun and Teukkie present, the resident obstetrician was called only when Amber was near delivery. She glared at Kai when he tried to get away from witnessing the childbirth. “I have seen videos of it baby. There is no way I can see you doing it. I will be scarred for life,” Kai’s pleas fell on her deaf ears.

“Soo unnie give me my gun. Let me show him why I brought it with me to the hospital,” Amber held Kai’s hand and refused to let it go.

“You are an idiot Kai,” Sehun grinned at him. “She is not asking you to see it. She wants you with her. You stand by her head. Don’t worry, you can hold my hand.”

Kai looked at Sehun in horror, “You are not seeing her in that condition, ert.”

Minx gave Kai a punch in his abdomen, “Don’t call my Hunnie a ert. It’s his job to be present in the delivery room here. Didn’t you hear him say he will be standing by your side near her head?”

“You can’t forget me. I also want to be there to record the whole thing,” Jaejoong jumped up and down to gain everyone’s attention.

My father frowned at him, “Children should not witness it. Get over your pregnancy fixation. It’s not healthy Joongie.”

Junsu and Yixing were dozing off with their heads in imo and uncle’s laps. We couldn’t understand why the two boys had insisted on coming only to go back to sleep the moment we entered the room. Jaejoong was the only one prancing around like a hyperactive monkey on steroids. When he looked with a hangdog expression at Amber, she melted but warned him, “If I see you anywhere near my legs trying to take a look where you shouldn’t, I will shoot you right there and then and then use your skin to make booties for my babies.”

“I promise noona. Now smile for the camera,” He took a photograph of him laughing and Amber glaring.

As Amber was wheeled away to the delivery room, Kibum whispered to Leeteuk and Sehun, “Keep her safe. She is the most important person for us.”

At his words Taemin, who was unusually silent, stared at the two doctors, “I want the babies also safe because they are equally important for my Kitty’s sanity.”

“What? Why do you say that? Is there any danger to their lives that no one told me about?” DongHae looked at Hyukkie in panic.

Hyukkie wrapped an arm around his flustered husband and asked Teukkie anxiously, “All her ultrasounds were good. You said the babies’ heartbeats are strong. Amber herself is in good health. Then what is wrong?”

“She is going for natural delivery not surgery. Stop being drama queens and come sit down,” Aunt Hee Young’s voice silenced the four grandfathers. “Duckie make some tea for everyone. No coffee, except for Dae Hei. They are acting as if no other child has ever been born in this family.” She took out her prayer beads to keep herself calm.

Hyukkie’s father, my uncle, asked Byong, “Help me walk to the waiting area. Duckie can serve our tea in the waiting area. I want to have a look at my great-grandchildren before Daewon.”

“What hyung, they are my great-grandchildren too. Why should you be the first one?” My father whined like a child as he walked out of the room after his older brother and we followed the two brothers, leaving Yixing and Junsu sleeping on the couches.

“Because Daewon, I am the eldest here. Has Kai turned your brain also to mush?” My uncle grinned at my father, “We must offer proper thanks to the gods for giving us the opportunity to see the new Lee generation. Kibum, come here?” He called Kibum with a wave of his hand.

“Yes, keun appa?” Kibum left Taemin’s side to stand in front of our uncle. Keun appa took his hand and ordered his wife, “Hee Young, move a seat away.” He made Kibum sit between them. He patted Kibum’s head and smiled, “Thank you Kibum. Being a man you have done more for this family than your aunt has as a woman.”

Almost all of us screeched in protest at his jibe at my aunt who turned red in embarrassment. Kibum hugged her and responded, as calmly as his anxiety for Amber allowed him, to our uncle, “Whatever I have done, I have learnt from keun umma. She is my inspiration. I request you to not in front of me.”

Aunt Hee Young kissed Kibum’s cheek, made a face at her husband and continued to use her prayer beads to keep her calm. Keun appa again began looking around. His eyes fell on Minho who was standing behind Taemin rubbing the younger man’s shoulders in comfort.

“Daewon what is Minho doing here? This is for family only and he is not a part of our family anymore,” Uncle rudely wagged a finger in Minho’s direction. I smiled noticing how similar the two Lee brothers, my father and uncle, were in their bluntness or rather rudeness.

Heechul at last had someone on his side and he made a face when my father did not respond, “That’s exactly what I have been saying for months now. But no one is listening to me. You talk some sense into them keun appa.”

“Keun appa, this is my only family. My parents left for their heavenly abode few years ago and both my brothers are settled in States,” Minho pleaded with my uncle. It was funny to see an old man like Minho making a pitiful face to garner sympathy for himself. I pushed my face in Puppy’s shoulder to stifle my laughter.

“Young man, are you having any plans of getting back together with Jinki? If you are, let me tell you right away that it won’t work. I will not let Jinki make a fool of himself over you once again. Jonghyun is a good man and very well suited to Jinki,” Keun appa looked with a stern expression at Minho who looked back meekly. Siwon and DongHae snorted at hearing Minho getting addressed as ‘young man’ at his ripe old age of 59.

“Hyung, you know Jinki does whatever he wants. No sense saying anything to anyone else,” my father corrected his older brother. “Both him and Jonghyun appear to have taken leave of their common sense after becoming grandfathers. I have stopped trying to understand Jinki’s mind. First he makes a fuss to leave Minho. Then he makes a fuss to include Minho now in our family. I think his mother dropped him too many times on his head as a baby.”

“It wasn’t me but you who dropped him on his head when he was a year old,” my mother corrected appa.

“What? Umma you told me it was Tae hyung who kept falling down on his head,” Kibum turned to umma with a question mark on his face.

“What do you mean Kitty? Are you implying I am crazy?” Taemin whined at Kibum.

Hyukkie and Siwon paced the floor ignoring everyone’s nonsensical conversation. All of us stopped breathing when Sehun appeared after half hour and hugged Taemin with a scream, “Two boys, fraternal twins!”

Kibum jumped up and hugged Heechul, both of them began screeching something in high-pitched voices. My father got up and hugged Sehun and Taemin. DongHae stood immobile in shock, his mouth opening and closing without making a sound. Siwon thumped his back to make him say something. Hyukkie hugged his mother and began crying, “I am a grandfather, I am a grandfather umma. I am only 39 and I am a grandfather umma.” Nobody knew if he was crying in happiness or depression.

Puppy and I softly laughed at the drama around us. When Kai appeared five minutes later, he was hugged tight by everyone with congratulations still echoing in the waiting lounge. He handed Amber’s gun to Kibum, “Teukkie appa made her give it up before the delivery.” He then hugged Kibum tightly and wept, “I am a father now. You have to see them umma. They are the prettiest things I have seen in this world.”

Taemin and Kibum followed Kai into the delivery room and came out a few minutes later with the nurse and the babies in a single crib. They went to the elder Lees and Kai handed over one baby to his older grandfather, “This is Jongdae, first born by 11 minutes.” Handing the second baby to my father Kai introduced, “And this is Minki, named after his grandparents.”

Minho looked at me when Kai said the name Minki. I grinned at him, no longer in the mood to trouble him. I was too happy to have two newborns to play with.

Hyukkie pouted through his tears, “I think I am a useless grandfather, none of the babies is named after me.” He then hugged DongHae who was staring at their grandsons in the arms of the older Lees, “Hyung we are grandfathers now. Our little Amber is a mother now. I hope at least they look like us.”

Chan Yeol whispered to Ji, “I am a grandfather at 31?”

“Dodo, you became a grandfather at 29 when Minx and Sehun had their three,” She then hugged him happily. “You are the handsomest grandfather in history.”

“And you are the prettiest grandmother,” Chan Yeol smiled widely.

“I think Jongdae looks like you, DongHae. He resembles Amber the most,” Uncle said as he and imo peered at the kids and spoke to the new grandfather.

Imo poked his ribs, “I hope you guys did not bet on the babies again.”

Uncle flushed and looked at Puppy for help, “Dae Hei you know I don’t gamble, but this is fun. See, doesn’t Minki look like Kibum?”

Imo looked at the baby in my father’s arms, “I think only his lips are like Kibum’s, but how come? Neither of the kids should resemble Kibum actually.” Imo was puzzled.

Kibum preened at his two personal achievements, “Imo it’s because Amber loves me the most.”

“It’s because Amber’s mother had lips like Kibum,” DongHae whispered aloud and then turned to my father with a longing expression, “Jageun appa can I hold him please?”

When my father passed the baby into DongHae’s waiting arms, Hyukkie hugged him from the side, both of them cradling baby Minki together. DongHae stared at the baby and tears slid down his cheeks, “You look like your grandmother you know. I am going to call you Ren, because it was her name. She was the most beautiful person on this earth, after your grandfather Hyukkie who is crying since the news of your birth.” He kissed the baby’s head and then kissed Hyukkie’s cheek, “Stop crying silly. We are grandfathers now and must behave so.”

Hyukkie nodded and wiped the silent tears off DongHae’s cheeks, “We must always smile for our little Ren.”

Aunt Hee Young smiled at them, “Do you know Ren means ‘perfect virtue’ in Chinese and is a fitting name for him.” DongHae passed on the newborn to her. She and my mother held him with together.

“Ren is also a female’s name, it means lotus flower in Japanese. His lips are really like petals of a flower. He is so beautiful,” my mother fawned over the baby.

Kibum went to them and put his head on my mother’s shoulder, “Umma I wanted a granddaughter and both are male. Why didn’t God listen to my prayers? But he gave me a grandson who looks a little like me. I should be happy right?”

The great-grandmothers smiled at each other and whispered in Kibum’s ear, making him jump in jubilant shock. “Oh yes, thank you umma, keun umma. Thank you so much. What a perfect solution. This is the happiest day of my life.”

Heechul poked Kibum to find the secret of his shock. Kibum whispered to him, “Umma says I can bring him up as a girl. He is so pretty, long hair will look good on him.”

“No, no umma. You are not doing that to my son. Amber will kill me,” Kai moaned in distress at Kibum, his face horrified at the thought of Amber’s reaction.

“Let your mother have his way Kai. He will get tired of it by the time Minki goes to school,” Taemin smiled indulgently at Kibum. “If you don’t, Kitty will kill me.” Kibum was too happy to care about Taemin’s sarcasm. He and Heechul cooed over baby Minki.

My father had taken baby Jongdae from his older brother and after hugging him tight for a few minutes, passed him to Taemin to hold. The new grandfather spaced out immediately on receiving the small bundle in his arms. He looked at Jongdae blankly, and then looked at all of us. His eyes sought out Minho and whispered, “Maehyung, I am a grandfather. My little Jongin has baby boys. When I married Kibum I never imagined a day would come when I would hold a grandchild in my arms. Thank you.”

Minho stood rooted to his spot hearing Taemin’s choked words. Puppy gave him a gentle push in Taemin’s direction. I wrapped my arm around Puppy’s waist happy that he had completely let go of his anger and vengefulness against Minho. My past pain was finally buried once and for all.

When Minho reached Taemin’s side, my brother showed the baby to him and smiled, “Baby Jongdae this is your other grandfather, Minho. He made it possible for you to be born today.”

Minho gently wiped Taemin’s wet cheeks and wrapped one arm around him in support, putting his other hand under the baby to hold him with Tae. His smile wobbled with strong emotions, “Jongdae, grow up to be a strong man like your grandfathers Taemin, Kibum, Jinki and Jonghyun. Be wise and cherish your family.” He turned away to wipe his eyes free of tears that threatened to spill over.

Puppy and I stood leaning against the wall, our arms wrapped around each other’s waist. We’d decided to wait to hold the babies, taking a back seat to all the other members of our family. We noted the blissful expressions on the faces of my parents and Hyukkie’s parents, the four great-grandparents. We watched Taemin, Kibum, DongHae and Hyukkie fawn over the babies in their arms, happily arguing the names and looks of the babies.

We smiled at Minho who was continuously wiping his eyes to prevent the tears from falling down. Heechul and Siwon who gave longing glances at Byong and Duckie, silent but waiting impatiently for their time to celebrate. Minx, Soo and Ji who were trying to persuade Jaejoong to come out of the recovery room and leave Amber alone for some time.

Chan Yeol and Sehun were discussing Amber’s antics in the delivery room and how she constantly threatened poor Kai to keep him by her side. We came to know how Sehun propped up Kai and kept him standing when Jongdae made his appearance in the world. We learned how Kai wept when he saw both his sons after they’d been cleaned.

We grinned when Sehun told Chan Yeol about Jaejoong almost fainting at the sight of the newborn babies covered in vernix and some blood, before the nurse cleaned them. The shock of it had almost made him drop his phone that he was using to record the events. He was seriously rethinking his future dozen babies.

While our ears were focused on Sehun and Chan Yeol, our eyes followed imo and uncle as they moved from one baby to another and then to Heechul and Siwon to keep them occupied with jokes about how Heechul would behave when it was Duckie’s turn. We kept silent when we noticed Duckie and Byong standing in a corner, whispering and pecking each other’s lips.

Minho came to stand next to Puppy and Puppy wrapped his other arm around Minho’s waist as it if it was the most natural thing in the world for him to do. The three of us stood together against the wall and silently surveyed our family script a new chapter of our lives.

Minho looked at us, and suddenly grinned, “Seriously? Ren will be dressed as a girl? Kibum has not changed at all. You really chose a brother-in-law as crazy as your family, Jinki.”

“I’d rather wait for Amber to know this information,” Puppy winked at Minho. “Just imagine the fireworks.”

“I’d better remember to tell Kai to hide all of her guns first,” I softly laughed, joy bubbling out of me.

The little Lees were certainly going to be a sight to behold in the coming days and years.