Fourth Date

Forever Till The End

27. FOURTH DATE

 

The soft beeping of our alarm woke us up the next morning. We had coffee in the balcony enjoying the feeling of serene solitude such mornings gave us. Somehow back home we didn’t have the opportunity.

“Stop comparing yeobo. You know it’s because we don’t have a balcony anymore.” Puppy kissed my ear as he completed my thoughts. “That’s why these sunrises are so charming and special to us.”

I nodded and smiled. With the sunrise, the city was slowly waking up. A bird landed near my hand and we stared at each other. Puppy got me a piece of bread. I absently began nibbling on it as the bird continued to stare at me. Puppy grinned and took the bread from me. He broke a small piece of it and offered it to the bird.

It took a few minutes of immobility from our side for the bird to develop enough confidence to peck the bread from Puppy’s palm and fly away. We continued to sip on our coffee as we waited, but the bird didn’t return. Puppy crumbled the bread and spread it out on the balcony and we went to get dressed.

While everyone leisurely gathered for the trip to the hotel, we called the children and spoke with them. It was more like listened to their loud narratives of their adventures in Alice Springs the day before. They had gone on helicopter ride to view the MacDonnell mountain ranges and gaps during the day and then camel riding in the Simpson Desert in the evening. And as we spoke, they had just finished a hot air balloon ride that Uncle and Siwon had booked as surprise.

Puppy and I grinned on hearing about the balloon ride. We could imagine the kids jumping in excitement from it. Byong was yelling that he wanted to ride a camel again. We could hear Siwon loudly calling everyone to gather for the picnic breakfast. Minx was telling us about how she fed her camel the previous day while Sehun was more interested in talking about the balloon ride.

Finally, Kibum took the phone from them, telling them to go eat before Tae finished all the food. Next, he yelled at us to mind our own business in Canberra and leave them alone to enjoy their hearts out in the outback. I by letting him know that we’d gone balloon riding two days ago and ended the call as he sputtered in shock. I wondered aloud how he managed to go for the ride with his fear of heights.

Ji had an even more pertinent question, “Why do you all keep booking for air rides on every holiday? You know how Key oppa squeals and screams like a girl all the time.”

“Ah Ji, that’s the most fun part of the air rides.” Jjong and I smirked at her.

“Evil people,” Ji wagged her finger at us as she handed Chan Yeol his jacket.

“Do you know ummappa that fear of heights can be cured by hypnosis?” Beagle offered us a solution. “If you want, I can look for hypnotists in Daegu to help Key hyung.”

I nodded in agreement, willing to try anything to put Kibum out of his misery and make it easier for our eardrums. “Check in Seoul as well, in case there’s no one good in Daegu.”

We locked our door and knocked on the other apartment. Xing opened it for us and came out informing that Gina and the rest would be a few more minutes. Ji knocked on Gina’s bedroom and let her know that we’d be waiting in the van for them.

Luhan joined us and we went down. Xing explained their delay was due to Gina trying to learn Tai Chi from her in the morning. I expressed a desire to learn as well.

Luhan started laughing, “What all will you learn in one short week Jinki? Have you forgotten about the belly dance competition tomorrow night?”

“We will take Xing back home with us.” I winked at Xing as Luhan gaped at us in shock.

“No way, my little Xing will go back home with me only. I just got together with her after three long weeks and you are already planning to part us again.” Luhan wrapped an arm tightly around Xing’s shoulder as if to keep her by his side all the time.

“This comes from the man who was happy to be alone in Canberra, away from his family in Beijing?” I raised my brows at the incongruity of Luhan’s statements from the first week in Canberra to the last week.

Xing pouted at Luhan who flushed red and whined, “I was stupid then little Xing. Haven’t I shown you how much I missed you all these weeks? I was utterly miserable. Come on smile for me. I used to dream of your smiles all these nights away from you.”

“Yeah oppa, only when you were not snoring.” Ji laughingly pointed out.

Luhan began banging his head on the van. “Why have I made friends with people who insist on making my life hell? You are an evil family. My Xing will never believe anything I say if you people have your way.”

Xing grinned and pinched Ji’s cheek before turning her attention to Luhan. “I am not going anywhere and I know you better. You can’t hide the fact that you were very happy to come to Canberra without us. I don’t know what happened to change you, but it is also true that you missed me.”

Luhan faced her and smiled. “I did miss you. I was stupid before is all I can say in my defence.”

“Oh yeah, I totally agree that you are stupid Luhan.” Kris voiced his expert opinion as he joined us.

The two of them bickered good-naturedly all the way to the hotel. Gina and Xing were more comfortable during breakfast. There was an easy flow of conversation and the jokes on our table continued as usual, the topic of the day was digital identity thefts.

Jjong suddenly tensed beside me for a moment and then relaxed before I could comment. I looked at him to find a self-satisfied smirk on his face. When I silently questioned him, he shook his head, grinned and rubbed my thigh to distract me. My Puppy was keeping secrets from me. I let it pass, knowing that he wouldn’t remain silent for long.

Gina and Xing were full of energy when we returned home after breakfast. Gina sat down to do online search for belly dance lessons and Ji began searching the tv for a usb port. Both were successful. We downloaded the videos to my flash drive and soon our tv was showing the first lesson. I moved my hips to the beat of the lesson, earning surprised gasps from the ladies.

“Really Jinki, you are actually going to learn this dance?” Xing asked in amazement.

Gina cracked up at the sight, attracting Sam’s attention from the kitchen. Sam left her work to watch us.

“Unnie, this is nothing. You should see Key oppa do girl dances. He would take one look at all our videos and then perform them flawlessly, beating all of us in the competition without any effort.” Ji informed Gina and Xing who rolled their eyes.

“Really, I have never come across this kind of a sight. Jinki you are such a hunk that no one would imagine you shaking your hips like this.” Gina continued laughing.

I shrugged and wiggled my shoulders comically to make her laugh even more. “You go ahead and laugh, while I will learn and win the competition.”

“What competition Ji?” Sam asked.

“These three are going to learn belly dance in two days’ time and then compete tomorrow night.” Ji explained.

“Sounds interesting. But why belly dance?” Sam continued to be curious.

“Jjong oppa bet the other two that Jinki oppa can dance better than their wives. So of course, now these three have to work hard. I will never understand marriage and bets.” Ji shook her head in wonder.

“Come on Ji, it will be fun watching them.” Sam giggled at the sight of my hips moving to the rhythm.

“No watching allowed. Either you learn or leave the three of us alone. We are not entertainment channel.” Gina warned Ji.

I went to my room to get a towel to wrap around my hips over my jeans. Gina cajoled Xing to give her hips a few shakes and try. Ji got more towels and handed the ladies one each. All of us, except Xing, got the hang of moving our hips. When even Gina failed to get Xing’s body moving, I took Xing’s permission and put my hands on her hips and made her slowly copy the movement of the video. As Xing got the hang of it, I left them to practice and went to take care of my hagwon work.

Sam called William to do the housekeeping and prepare sandwiches for our lunch, while she learned to dance promising him a private demo at home. After lunch, we began trying to sync our upper body to the hips to hilarious results.

Ji got the camera and began recording our practice video. When Xing blushed and refused to practice, Ji persuaded her to dance for the camera so she could watch her progress otherwise she would risk upsetting Luhan by losing. The ad-maker in Ji was clearly on full mode.

We stopped in the evening and teased each other through our coffee. I was so going to make Puppy give me a that night. He had to compensate me for turning me into a female for this competition. I smiled thinking about the and how y Puppy would look. I planned to make him wear the lace which was one of TaeKey’s wedding gifts to us.

“Oppa what are you planning? You have that devilish gleam in your eyes.” Ji’s question halted me in my tracks.

“Umm, nothing Ji. I was only thinking about Luhan’s eyes bugging out when he sees Xing dancing tomorrow. Won’t he look like a frog?” I wiggled my brows at the ladies and everyone laughed imagining Luhan.

Dinner that night was special. Beagle and Ji had booked tickets for a localy winery which was participating in the Fireside Festival in Canberra. They had even arranged for Sam’s kids to be looked after by relatives. Five couple tables were booked for our group in a dining room warmed by two huge fire places. We enjoyed a piano recital and a variety of wines with our dinner.

As we finished our food, we were served a glass of hot mulled wine. I saw Puppy nod at the pianist and the intial strains of our song filled the air.

“Sing for me yeobo.” Puppy gently requested, his eyes filled with love.

I softly began singing Bryan Adam’s “Everything I do” knowing how much my Puppy loved listening to me sing that song. When I finished the song and the last note of the music faded away, there was a hush in the dining hall only to be replaced by loud applause. Flushed with embarrassment, I noticed the mic that was placed near my wine glass. Our server must have put it there with the wine.

Puppy switched off the mic and smiled, “I love you yeobo. You have a beautiful voice. I hope you enjoyed our fourth date.”

Still blushing I nodded, “Did you plan it?”

“Yes. Arrangements were made by Beagle and Ji. I’m sorry for not telling you about the mic. I wanted to show you off tonight.” Puppy smiled at me in apology.

How could I be upset with him? I twined our fingers and smiled happily at him. “I am glad we never dated before. We have had such special dates here. Thank you jagi for these wonderful memories.”

On the way back home, Ji was curious. “Why this particular song Puppy oppa? I have never heard Jinki oppa sing it before.”

Puppy looked at me and smiled. He kissed our laced fingers before replying, “He never said “I love you” to me for a long time. I had to always read his love in his eyes and actions. One night he sang this song as his confession of love and it’s my favorite song since then. He sang it constantly when I was in ICU.”

“You told me you’ll come back from dead when I sing this song. I sang it to remind you that I loved you and you couldn’t leave me.” I whispered.

Gina very softly sighed, “How romantic!”

“When I die Ji, make him sing this song every year on our anniversary.” Puppy continued, kissing my cheek.

I pinched his thigh in annoyance, “You are not going anywhere without me. We’ll be together even as ashes in an urn.”

“Don’t grumble Tokki. Ji play this song on our anniversary after we die. Is that alright Tokki?” Puppy kissed my cheek again.

I hummed a yes and leaned back against his shoulder, feeling all gooey inside. I couldn’t say for sure if the warm feeling inside me was because of that last glass of hot wine or my Puppy’s love. Maybe be a mixture of both. I closed my eyes and hummed in pleasure as I imagined the upcoming .

Everyone was silent in the van. I thought it was the romance of the dinner that no one wanted to let go. We dropped Sam and William to their home and Luhan drove us back to our apartments.

We heard JiYeol whisper to each other. And all of us shamelessly eavesdropped.

“Do you realize noona that it was our first date? We were alone at dinner.”

“Of course I did Yeollie. Don’t mention it in front of the kids or my parents. I don’t want Jinki and Puppy oppa to get scolded again.”

“I am scared of your parents noona. I don’t think they like me.”

“If they didn’t like you they wouldn’t have allowed me to stay back. How can anyone not like you Yeolli? I think every parent reacts the same way when meeting their daughter’s boyfriend for the first time. They are very mellow usually.”

“Were they like this with Leeteuk hyung also?”

“We knew him for many years before he approached appa for permission to date unnie.”

“You have a large family noona and so many older brothers and brothers-in-law. You’ll feel strange in my small family. Both my parents are only children and my only living grandparent is my father’s father. There are distant relatives but they all live in different cities.”

“My family is also your family now Yeollie. And you already have a new set of parents in Jinki and Puppy oppa. You have yet to meet my father’s relatives. There are more older brothers there and sisters-in-law.”

“Oh! No one is going to approve of our match. Why did I have to be younger to you?”

“Stop worrying Yeollie as all the persons whose opinion matters are here in Australia. They are already in your favor. Foremost are the ones who introduced us. They helped Soo unnie marry Teukkie oppa. Trust them to help us also.”

“How will I live alone without you? When can my parents come to discuss our wedding with your parents? Can your parents stop over in Seoul for a day on our way back?”

“Yeollie we cannot marry so soon. We need to give umma time to adjust to the idea. The moment we talk about my leaving Daegu, she will say no to our marriage.”

“How will I live without seeing you every day? I will go crazy noona. Are you really going to make me wait for a long time? I get it. You don’t trust me or my love.”

“Hush Yeollie, you know it’s not that. If we don’t give umma time, she will definitely say no.”

We had reached our place and the young couple stayed in the living room discussing their issues. Puppy and I left our bedroom door half open again. We changed and lay in bed humming songs for each other as we waited for JiYeol to turn in for the night. I patiently waited for our door to close.

Puppy wrapped me in his arms and tucked me into his chest. His warm embrace, gentle kisses and softly crooned songs put me to sleep within a short time.