Jeju (BW - 5)

Forever Till The End

FTTE 2026 Feb

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

68. JEJU (BYONG’S WEDDING - 5)

 

The first thing that Yixing and Baekhyun did on reaching the resort was run to hug their friends, Yibo and Wenhan. Kris and Luhan had arrived the day before with most of their families. Yibo was Kris’ 8-year-old grandson and the only person Yixing talked about as enthusiastically as his music. Though Yibo was only 6 years old when Yixing had gone to Canada to study advanced music, the two boys were almost inseparable despite their four years age difference. Everyone had taken to calling them YiYi duo. Since Yixing’s return from Canada a year ago, Yibo insisted on spending his school holidays at Chan Yeol’s place. Even though Baekhyun was same age as him, it was Yixing that Yibo preferred to spend his time with.

Another new addition to our family was Luhan’s younger grandson, Wenhan, who was only a few months younger to Baekhyun. The four boys had taken to planning and spending their holidays together in Seoul. Both Baekkie and Wenhan chattered non-stop and included only YiYi in their conversation and activities, upsetting Sooyoung no end. However, Sooyoung was a very willing partner in all the mischief hatched by Baekkie and Wenhan. We always heard Ji and Beagle complain about how the three kids were leading the couple to an early grave.

Gina and Xing greeted me and then made a beeline for Hyemi noona, imo and Ji. Sunwoo hyung was making full use of the time he got to spend with his older son, Kiwoo, who in the pursuit of building a career for himself in New York had not visited Korea as much as his parents would have preferred. Both sat chatting in one corner of the conference room that Taemin had converted into buffet area for the duration of the week.

Kris and Luhan were with Puppy, being introduced to our police agency guests and the politicos. Kris was the head of Canadian Security Intelligence Service and we often that Canada would be attacked in his absence as he wouldn’t be there to oversee the agency’s intelligence collection. He’d grin and wave around his secure phone that he always carried.

Luhan, on the other hand, had gotten sick of the political games and when he was passed over for the post of Director-General of National Security Bureau of China, he had preferred to retire. According to him, as the Director-General of National Police Agency, he was far more intelligent than a fuddy-duddy dictatorial military oldie and thus more suited as chief of NSB. Xing was ecstatic because his early retirement gave them more time to spend together and travel a lot.

When all the luggage had been delivered in the correct rooms, Beagle and Hyukkie came to enjoy their own welcome drinks with Sehun, Yesung, Suzy and Jeysee. Suzy took her food plate and went to sit with Minho, Eunha, Jae-Mizui and the kids.

Beagle had hugged Luhan and Kris, and then commented to the others on his table, “By tomorrow it will resemble an international intelligence seminar. I just love our family weddings when Puppy appa invites all the chiefs of different countries that he has met and befriended at any time.”

“Eh? What do you mean? ChanYeol?” Yesung looked around in surprise to confirm Beagle’s comment and opened his mouth wide in surprise.

Hyukkie laughed with Beagle at Yesung’s reaction and advised, “Yesung, stop looking around the room with those round eyes. Look at the digi-pad and check out all the room allotments on the second floor. Read the names and the brief descriptions.”

Yesung and Jeysee immediately bent over their digi-pads and their fingertips traced the tiny letters. Jeysee began to read aloud, “Vasily, Director of Foreign Intelligence Service of the Russian Federation. Carlo, Deputy Director of Department of Information Security of Italy. Marc, French Networks and Information Security Agency. Viktor, Vice President of German Federal Intelligence Service.” Jeysee stopped and looked at Sehun in shock. “This is not possible,” she managed to whisper.

Yesung gulped and looked once again towards Kris and Luhan, “Who are those two?”

Beagle followed Yesung’s stare and smiled, “Oh, that’s Kris hyung and Luhan hyung. Kris hyung is head of Canadian Security Intelligence Service. He is the taller one. Luhan hyung is now retired as DG of Chinese NPA because he felt that he should have been the one promoted to the Director-General post of National Security Bureau of China instead of a military general. I can’t understand how a gentle deer like him reached that high a post, that too in China and with two kids on top of it.”

“Gentle? I don’t see anything gentle about him,” Yesung muttered. When Luhan turned and returned Yesung’s stare, Yesung quickly looked down at his digi-pad again. He began reading where Jeysee had left off, “Harold, Chief of National Fraud Intelligence Bureau of United Kingdom.”

Hyukkie began laughing and punched Beagle in the arm. Sehun joined the laughter. Yesung and Jeysee looked at the two in confusion wondering if they had said something weird. Hyukkie controlled his laughter and then chuckled out, his eyes dancing as he teased Beagle, “Isn’t that the fellow who wanted to make Ji his third wife? And then ended up marrying a guy because he was so impressed by the love and devotion of all the gay couples in our family? I can’t wait to see how he greets Ji this time.”

Sehun went into another fit of laughter at the words and Beagle poked his cheeks to make him stop, “Yah, don’t laugh at me. I couldn’t help dragging Ji away from him at your wedding. Did you see how he was trying to kiss her lips in greeting? I think he is still hung up on her.”

“Oh yeah Beagle, now that Harold is divorced and single again, better watch out and keep your wife out of his reach,” Hyukkie winked at poor Beagle and then turned to grin at Yesung who was watching the three of them mutely with amazement written all over his face. “Yesung, you’d better keep Jeysee tucked to your side. Harold wants to marry a woman from our family because he feels it will be his lucky charm and save him from yet another alimony.”

“Exactly, how many of them are coming?” Yesung silently put his hand over Jeysee’s on the table in a possessive gesture. “Are they all like him?”

“Well, Puppy appa has kept in constant touch with the friends he made during all the seminars he led his teams to. They are all heads or deputy-heads of some or the other government agency of their country. Let me see if I remember them all,” Beagle began counting names on his fingers. “There is Swiss Pierre, Dutch Japp, Swedish Gustav, Polish Izaak, David from USA, Indian Hari, Aussie Brenda, Austrian Emely, Egyptian Ahmose-”

“Oh stop. Don’t have to count them all. We’ll read them later,” Jeysee quickly interrupted Beagle’s recital. I can see most of the second floor allotted to them. “Are they all arriving tomorrow?” Her eyes quickly scanned the rooms’ occupant list.

Hyukkie took a big bite of the kiddie burger in his hand and spoke with a full mouth, “They’re arriving at different times during the week, some with their wives and some without. Don’t worry. All are great fun, even dear old Harry who has a hankering for our Jiyeon.”

“How should we address them? Maybe we should go help Minho-ssi and let Eunha-ssi get back to looking after this with you,” Jeysee looked morosely around the table. She was beginning to realize the weight of the responsibility she and Yesung carried as part of the organizing group. In place of Eunha, they were the ones who had to go to the airport to welcome newly arriving guests.

“You’ll do just fine. Take some time to go through the room allotments. Most of it is in groups. Fifth floor are politicians and our own Korean agency chiefs. Fourth floor is family and very close friends. Third floor are agency and hagwon guests. Second floor are foreign guests and various business heads that wrangled out an invitation. First floor is given to guests who are coming for a day or two, those who we want to keep away from the family and the security staff some of our guests are travelling with.” Hyukkie gave a brief to the couple and they nodded their heads and repeated to remember the basic arrangement.

Hyukkie turned to Beagle who gave him a nod to continue, “I know Eunha was supposed to take charge of guests at the airport, but don’t worry. Sehun and I will do that. You and Chan Yeol take over here.” Jeysee looked relieved at and smiled at Hyukkie.

Yesung had other concerns on his mind though, “I hope no one will approach anyone here to turn into a spy for them.” He looked at Beagle as he stated it.

“I think there is an unspoken agreement between all of them,” Beagle grinned as he remembered what Puppy had told him. “They are friends on the very clear understanding that there will be no attempt to use this friendship in their work. No favors have been asked as of yet from each other.” When Yesung looked surprised at that information, Beagle slapped his back and continued, “It sounds strange but it is true. Even though most of them handle the biggest rings of spies internationally or domestically, whenever they meet socially they use the time to relax and simply enjoy themselves.”

“How do they manage it and get permission from their countries?” Jeysee was just as curious as her husband.

“It started when they got invited to Sehun and Minx’s wedding,” Beagle answered patiently. “I am of the opinion that they use these occasions to unwind from their high-pressure jobs. In our profession one trusts very few people.” Beagle looked at Yesung who nodded in agreement. “But, somehow, this group has bonded and come to trust one another. A few more get added every time Puppy appa attends an international conference.”

Sehun grinned mischievously, “Funniest part is their personal relations with each other. Pierre uncle’s daughter is married to Emely uncle’s son. Carlo uncle is best friends with Viktor uncle. Vasily uncle was widowed a few years ago and has been trying to woo Brenda auntie ever since. I think he plans to move to Australia after his retirement. The saddest story is of Marc uncle. His daughter was engaged to Brenda auntie’s son, but died a week before the wedding in a terrorist attack.”

“Oh, you mean the one where multiple bombs exploded across Paris killing 400 persons?” Yesung asked while Jeysee looked horrified at the information. Sehun simply nodded and everyone was silent for a few minutes.

Jaejoong came and pulled at Sehun’s arm, “Hyung, I need you urgently. Come with me.” Sehun looked at a frantic Jaejoong and let the boy guide him to where Minx was standing with Junsu.

“What’s up Joongie? What’s got your pants on fire?” Sehun wondered aloud looking at his wife for an answer.

“Talk some sense into Xia. I want him to put my sacrifice to good use but he refuses to listen to me,” Jaejoong shook his older brother like a rag doll.

“Yah, who asked you to change the rooms? I thought I was rooming with you and packed my oldest pajamas,” Junsu pouted and said with a long face, trying to get out his younger brother’s hold.

“You are so stupid Xia. We are attending a wedding party. Who in their right mind will bring their oldest clothes here? Why didn’t you pack the new pajamas I got umma to buy for you?” Joongie kept shaking Junsu in exasperation.

“I like my old ones. They are comfy. And I was to sleep with you. Why did you change the room arrangement? I don’t want to sleep with Yoochun. What if he hears me sleep talking about him?” Junsu looked ready to cry and silently appealed to Minx and Sehun.

Jaejoong began lightly banging his head on the wall he was leaning against, “Why has god given me such a stupid brother?”

Minx and Sehun hugged distraught Junsu and tried to make him understand Jaejoong’s plan, “That’s the entire point Junsu. Since you don’t have the courage to confess to Yoochun when awake, Joongie hopes that sleeping in the same room might do the trick.” Minx’s words made Junsu shake his head in denial.

“You are going to be 16 soon. It’s high time you did something about your silent obsession with Yoochun. This week here is your chance to do it without actually confessing to him,” Sehun smiled at the gentle boy.

“But I am happy the way I am hyung,” Junsu did not look convinced. “I know Chunnie does not love me. We all know he is dating Yunho. Then why burden him with my confession.”

“Joongie is right, you are really dense,” Minx pulled Junsu’s cheeks lovingly. “I don’t really see any great future for both of them. They are dating but somehow they don’t look right together. Have you ever seen the way Yoochun behaves with you? He is so gentle and caring where you are concerned. It won’t take much to convince him that no one will ever love him more than you.”

“I will just be a third wheel between them, noona. Let it be. I am fine on my own,” Junsu’s eyes searched the room and found the object of his affections. Their little group followed his gaze and saw Yoochun sitting between Jung brothers.

Sehun smiled and pointed out to Junsu, “They are together but look at their body language. Both are leaning away from each other. Holding hands does not mean much. They smile at each other but their eyes do not hold the same expression as that of people deeply in love. They don’t look at each other the way you look at Yoochun.”

Minx nodded at Sehun’s observation and added her own observation, “There is no doubt that they like each other. But I don’t see the spark of passion between them. They are more like best friends who are very comfortable with each other and experimenting to see how far their liking goes. They are close, but not passionately in love.”

Both brothers snorted and looked at the couple with them. Junsu whispered, “From the stories I have heard, even you were not allowed to be passionate before your wedding.”

Sehun put an arm around Minx’s shoulder and hugged her to his side as she wrapped her arm around his waist. He pecked her lips and grinned at his brothers-in-law, “We were not allowed, but that did not mean we did not want to be. And my dear innocent Junsu, you are forgetting the main point here. As far as we know, Yoochun and Yunho do not need any such permission.”

Jaejoong quickly nodded and interrupted, “Yunho has complained to me quite often that Yoochun does not even allow proper kisses. Every time Yunho tries to kiss his lips, he finds himself kissing a cheek.” Jaejoong snickered and winked at Junsu, “Your Chunnie is still a . Show him your hot body and he will fall like a ton of bricks for you.”

Junsu blushed red and pushed his younger brother, “What a load of nonsense you are talking Joongie. You make it sound as if I am a girl. You are as much of a ert as your best friend, Yunho.”

Joongie poked his finger in Junsu’s cheek, “Where Yoochun is concerned, you are indeed going to be the girl in your relationship.”

“Hmmm, maybe that’s the problem between the two,” Minx rubbed her chin as she looked at the trio sipping hot chocolate. “Yunho won’t allow anyone but himself to be the man in the relationship, and I somehow cannot picture Yoochun agreeing to be the submissive one. No wonder they never looked right to me.”

“Minnie is right, Junsu. This is your golden chance to score with Yoochun. If you don’t take it, you might as well become a monk or fall in love with someone else,” Sehun rubbed his nose on Minx’s cheek as he advised. “Minnie, why do you always smell so delicious? You make me hungry? I have not eaten since last night.”

Minx’s eyes danced merrily and she pulled her husband away from her brothers, “Come on Hunnie. Let’s take care of your big appetite.”

I watched the two leave the room in a rush while Jaejoong scratched his head, “How could hyung be hungry? I saw him eat breakfast at home, then he munched on peanuts and sandwiches in the plane and now he swallowed a large plate of sushi rolls. Such a big liar we have for our brother-in-law.”

Junsu turned pink once more on hearing Joongie’s mutterings, “You are such a kid.” Joongie immediately began protesting and firing questions at Junsu.

I smiled at the knowledge that our little Junsu was not as innocent as we thought him to be. My mother-in-law beckoned me and I left the brothers to bicker about Sehun’s hunger pangs, making a mental note to keep a watch on them and their friends. A week-long wedding party, a romantic location of Taemin’s resort, and five teenagers discovering love and hormones did not make for a comforting mix.

Anything could happen.