Forever's Beginning

Forever Till The End

1. FOREVER’S BEGINNING

 

“Hyung hurry up! Everyone is waiting.” Hyukkie called me from outside the room.

“Let them wait Hyukkie. Jinx is wriggling too much for us to apply make up quickly.” Heechul called out as Kibum tried to put red dots on my cheeks.

“No. I refuse to dress up as a bride. I am a man. I will dress up as a groom only.” I protested, moving my head side to side to keep my cheeks away from the menacing red dots.

“You are dressed up as a groom hyung. All I am doing is putting these red dots. It’s tradition hyung.” Kibum tried to placate me. But I was having none of it.

“Help me. Save me.” I yelled for someone to save me from the two crazy divas.

Heechul held my head in his strong grip and Kibum finally succeeded in putting the red dots on my cheeks and forehead symbolizing my place as the bride in the upcoming ceremony. “Now all evil spirits will be driven away from your life.” Kibum grinned.

“Shoo shoo. See these dots don’t do anything. You both are still here.” I glared at them as they put the groom’s head dress on my hair. Both of them held my hands as they led me to the waiting family.

Seeing the dots, Hyukkie and DongHae burst out laughing. I knew they were avenging themselves for DongHae becoming ‘jageun appa’ to the kids two years ago. How he must have counted each day of the past two years and waited for this moment. I poked my tongue out at them.

Taemin took a photograph of me like that and laughed at my glare. I wanted to kick the brat. I sent everyone a mutinous glare.

“What have you two done to my sweet tokki?” Puppy asked the two divas holding my hands. “Why is he looking as if he’ll murder all of us? Where has his beautiful smile gone?”

“Save me Puppy. Tell them I am not the bride. I am a groom. We both are grooms. If they don’t remove these red dots, I am going to poison their food after the ceremony. I will shave their heads in their sleep. I will cut all their designer clothes into itsy bitsy pieces.” I threatened while grinding my teeth.

“Ummappa you look so cute. Doesn’t he Sehun?” Minx hugged me.

“Oh yes ummappa. You really look so cute. But smile please. You will look cuter then.” Sehun hugged me as well.

“Ummappa please don’t take off the red dots. They are looking so good on you.” Duckie joined the two in hugging me.

“Ummappa if you don’t wear the red dots, how will we know who’s who?” Byong’s voice of reason rang out. “I think you should wear more red dots.”

“What non-sense all of you are talking. He is a man. He shouldn’t wear any red dots.” Amber spoke up and Kai as usual nodded in agreement.

As the children argued, aunt Hee Young came over and rescued me from the hands of the two divas. She glared at them and they grinned in response. She took off the paper red dots from my face. “It’s supposed to be the happiest day of his life. Don’t take away his sweet smile. With so much difficulty we got him to agree to the ceremony, don’t make him run away from it.” She admonished the two.

They laughed. “We were only pranking him keun umma.”

Puppy came over to rub my back and calm me down. With the red dots gone from my face, it didn’t take me long to get my smile back and I used its full force to dazzle him once more. Hugging all the kids, we walked to take our place for the ceremony.

It had taken two solid years of collective convincing for me to agree to this traditional wedding ceremony. Puppy had been bouncing in happiness since I said yes.

Finally on this day of 12th March 2011, Puppy and I were formalizing our decade-long love and union.

Our children were the happiest. Soon to be 13 Minx was now only a few inches shorter than Puppy but still preferred to hang by his neck as he carried her forward in his heavy traditional dress.

Fourteen year old Sehun was same height as Puppy and held on to his arm as well.

Kai, also going to be 14 and competing with Sehun for height, was hanging on to Puppy’s other arm.

Amber, at the wise old age of 15, was trying to get Minx to let go of Puppy’s neck warning her that if Puppy tripped on her dress, he will fall and break his neck and then there’ll be no ceremony.

Byong who was 7, and 6 year old Duckie hung on to my arms as they tried not to trip on their hanboks.

It was my condition that everyone wear traditional hanboks for our ceremony. Amber was dressed in a boy’s hanbok, refusing to touch the pink girl’s one that we’d originally purchased for her.

I called out to Jiyeon, “Ji only one missing is you hanging by my neck and Soo clinging to my leg.”

Those who had attended my marriage to Minho 18 years ago laughed, remembering how Ji had clung to my neck as a 3 year old while 8 year old Soo hung on to my legs after the ceremony.

Jiyeon came over to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. As tall as Puppy, there was no way in heaven that I could carry her now. Silently getting her point across, she kissed my cheeks and went to walk next to Sehun’s mother who was holding Soo’s six months old baby boy.

“Jinki you are an old man of 40 now. If Ji hangs on your neck, your neck will never straighten up.” Uncle’s loud words were met with a gale of laughter from everyone.

“Ho-jin he is still in his prime. You worry about your old age. How many grandchildren do you have already?” Umma called out in my defense. Taemin wolf whistled at her words.

“At the rate Minx and Sehun are going, it will not be too many years before Jinki also becomes a grandfather.” Siwon spoke from uncle’s side. They both high fived each other.

“I am too young to become a grandmother.” Hyemi noona, Sehun’s mother, protested.

Sunwoo hyung, Sehun’s father, just grinned at her and winked, making her blush, “Just think how beautiful a grandmother you will be.”

“What? No way. That’s at least 20 years from now.” Puppy clarified.

“Puppy appa I am going to be 14 in three weeks. Can I kiss her cheeks now?” Sehun whispered to Puppy. He never let any opportunity pass to request permission, which Puppy always rejected with deep satisfaction.

I grinned and answered as Puppy turned red, “We’ll talk about it later at home Sunshine. Right now Puppy has to survive the choke hold Minx has got on him. See if you can get her off his neck.”

Sehun immediately went to work, “Minnie let go of appa right now. If he dies we’ll never get to progress beyond kissing hands.”

Even I couldn’t control my laughter at his words. Now, very used to their constant referrals to their promises made two years ago, Puppy also laughed.

“Hunnie just wait. I’ve got an idea.” Minx smiled at Sehun deviously. “Appa if you want me to let go of your neck, you have to agree to let Sehun kiss my cheeks.”

“Never baby girl. Never.” Puppy mock-growled and lifted her up in his arms, easing the pressure of her arms around his neck. “I am your father and your evil ideas don’t work on me anymore.”

She pouted and made sad puppy eyes at him.

“Aww don’t pout baby girl. Because I am so happy today, I am giving this permission, not because of you making puppy eyes at me.” Puppy gave in, unable to resist her. “Sunshine you can kiss her right cheek. Only her right cheek.”

Sehun immediately kissed her right cheek which he could reach over Puppy’s shoulder. “Thank you appa.” He cried in delight and hugged him from behind as they walked.

Everyone clapped. Only Puppy and I knew that they had waited seven years to get permission for kissing Minx’s cheek again. Minx let go of Puppy’s neck but he continued to carry her. Amber helped Duckie with her hanbok’s skirt. We walked to the garden of my parent’s house which was decked up for the ceremony.

We’d decided to convert everything into our own version of traditional wedding. As we sat in front of a low table, our four sets of parents took their place on the other side of the table. We’d requested Imo, uncle, my parents, Puppy’s parents and Hyukkie’s parents to represent our parents collectively. Kids sat behind us and other family members sat around all of us.

DongHae, Heechul, Leeteuk, Siwon and Sunwoo hyung approached us first carrying a red and blue silk covered wooden box containing gifts by all the young couples to us. They loudly called, “Hahm for sale. Buy a hahm. Hahm for sale.”

Our parents went to take the Hahm which they refused to hand over without payment.

Tae called out, “Good going, take a lot of money. More than we all spent.”

Appa and umma gave them an envelope filled with money. We’d left it to the each set of parents to decide the amount they wanted to spend on the Hahm ceremony. They accepted the envelope, weighed it in their hands and refused to hand over the box, demanding more. Puppy’s parents were next to present an envelope. The five wanted even more. Imo and uncle came forward to give more.

“Imo pay enough for a day in the spa for noona, Soo, Heechul hyung and me.” Kibum called out his demand.

“Hyung don’t hand over the Hahm till you have counted the money.” Hyemi noona advised.

“Hyung hold on till you gather enough money to open another academy for me.” Hyukkie yelled his own condition.

Hahm bearers shrugged at imo and uncle and refused to give the box.

“You heard him imo. I want to go home in one piece.” DongHae winked at imo.

“And I don’t want to spend a year in the guest room.” Leeteuk added with another wink.

“Minx will scold me if I give up too soon.” Sunwoo hyung grinned at Minx who nodded.

“Okay stop you greedy fellows. This is the last we are offering. Accept it or we’ll whack you.” Keun appa wagged his finger.

The five accepted the envelopes, gave the parents the gifts’ box and bounced off to join their partners in crime. They handed the envelopes to Tae to count and divide the money. The five couples made quick work of it and yelled happily on receiving their portions. All the elder parents placed the box near Puppy and Me and laughed at their childishness.

The children got up and brought two wooden geese for us. Puppy and I took one each and put it on the table as a present to each other’s mothers as our vow of fidelity. They graciously accepted the geese.

Next, umma poured rice wine in two cups and gave to us to drink. Puppy and I bowed to each other and took a sip before handing it back to her. Puppy’s mother carefully mixed the wine of the two cups and gave it back to us to drink. We looked at each other and drank the wine as our vow to be one. This concluded our wedding vows. We grinned as everyone congratulated us.

There was one final ceremony remaining. Byong and Minx handed both of us dried dates and chestnuts. There were loud calls to pick up and present Byong and Minx only instead of the fruits as they were living proof of our fertility.

We had wanted to forego the fertility ceremony but the kids had insisted on it. They wanted us to hold it just as Hyukkie and DongHae had done it. Both of us presented the dates and nuts to our parents who again accepted them graciously. Our mothers poured us tea to drink as Puppy had decided against any more wine for himself. We sipped our tea.

Ji gave the kids white silk cloth embroidered with peonies and other flowers. We unfolded it between us and as our fathers threw the fruits back at us, we tried to catch it in the cloth. I thought our fathers had good aim as all the fruits landed on the cloth. We fed each other a date and chestnut each. Rest the children took despite the grandmothers admonishing them.

“Calm down. It’s not as if we are going to have any more children. Let the children enjoy.” I pacified the elders. They realized their folly and laughed.

Before moving on to the wedding feast, all of us posed for a lot of photographs. Finally we took off our headwear and breathed.

Puppy put an arm around my waist and whispered, “That wasn’t so difficult was it yeobo? Thank you for marrying me.”

I linked our pinky fingers with our destiny rings. “I was married to you 10 years ago only jagi. This is just for show.”

Puppy kissed our linked fingers and the rings, “Together forever, till the end of time.”

“Even the end of time cannot separate us.” I whispered back.

“How do you feel now yeobo?” Puppy still needed assurance.

“Top of the world.” I said after thinking for a moment.

“Oh! Since I am your world,” Puppy left the rest unsaid.

I nodded, “Tonight.”

He squeezed and rubbed my waist in anticipation. I rubbed his cheek with my thumb as he continued to kiss our linked fingers. My breath hitched at the thought of the night.

“Appa can I kiss Minx’s left cheek also?” Sehun’s voice brought us out of our private world. We turned to face him. He looked so hopeful standing next to us holding Minx’s hand.

“Yes. But only because I am very happy today.” I answered for Puppy.

We watched as he immediately turned to Minx and kissed her on both cheeks. “I love you Minnie.”

She kissed his cheeks, “I love you too Hunnie.” And they walked off together still holding hands.

Puppy and I looked at each other wondering if we’d made a mistake in giving our permission. We hoped not. We went to the table laid with the wedding feast. Drinks were flowing freely and the table was overflowing with food. TaeKey began chanting for the story of how we met.

I shook my head. But everyone who didn’t know, which was half the wedding party, picked up the chant.

I looked at Puppy and began, “Well it started with a sneeze which made me press the accelerator instead of releasing it.”

Puppy continued, “And one drunk man who insisted on lodging a police complaint for a broken tail light.”

“I was going to open my criminal record at the age of 30, when a rookie officer came to the rescue as my knight in shining armor.”

“One look at him and I wanted to tuck the soft sweet bunny under my arm and carry him far away from the world.”

“And then I invited him for ice cream and lunch.” Minx added her part.

“And I invited him for coffee and dinners.” Imo continued.

“And I invited him to live with us because I got tired of watching them run around in circles around each other. If I hadn’t, the two would have still been talking at midnight on the phone in the balcony or going for midnight strolls in the park.” Uncle added.

Everyone laughed at that and we blushed at the reminder of how much effort Puppy had made to make me his. I heard sniffles and turned to my side to see Heechul daintily wiping tears from his eyes as Siwon hugged him to his side.

“Why are you crying Cinder? You’ve heard it all before.” I hugged Heechul from other side.

“I am so happy for you Jinx. The ceremony was so beautiful. So romantic. Right Simba?” He sniffled more.

Siwon silently nodded trying to calm down Heechul from crying more. Puppy and I looked at the couple and then at each other. We nodded in silent understanding, perfectly in tune with what the other was thinking.

“Cinder, your father is here. Imo and uncle are here. You are dressed in hanboks. Come inside we will dress you up for the ceremony.” I suggested.

Both were shocked. “What? No, no Jinki we cannot take away from your special day.” Siwon protested.

“You will not Super. Our special day was ten years ago when I first met tokki. Come on, don’t pass up this wonderful opportunity. It is our mistake we didn’t think and plan for this before. Please do forgive our selfishness.” Puppy answered for us.

Both of them hugged us. We called the other couples to us and went into a huddle to decide on Hahm. Taemin and Kibum decided to buy the wooden geese and the wooden chest for the Hahm. Each couple decided to buy their own gift to put in the chest.  

I whispered to Doc to buy them a pair of platinum destiny rings from our side. Puppy handed him our credit card. Guys made Siwon and Heechul wear their rings to check the size. Soo decided to go with Doc to get a ring that would suit Heechul’s tastes. All agreed to return in an hour’s time.

Before anyone could question us about the disappearances, we took Siwon and Heechul to umma’s room to dress. We laughed at the thought of the shock everyone would receive. Heechul was bouncing and squealing about the double wedding which according to him was super romantic.

I had wanted to but didn’t have the heart to prank my sweet friend. It was his dream come true and I didn’t want even a single moment to make it anything less than the most joyous memories of his life.

He touched up his makeup as Puppy and I gave them our matching long coats to wear over their hanboks and took their short jackets. Siwon wore mine and Heechul wore Puppy’s. Heechul applied some makeup on Siwon also, who sat like a tame lion, purring and blushing. We tied the hats on their heads, completing their dressing as the grooms.

The shopping group returned as we were leaving the room. DongHae stayed with us while the rest went to break the news to the family and give the parents five minutes to prepare. Immediately the kids descended on us. Duckie hung herself from Siwon’s neck while Heechul had to lift up Byong to ease the pressure on his neck.

I whispered to Puppy and he went in search of umma to borrow some money from her. Puppy was going to stand up as Siwon’s younger brother to ease the burden on imo and uncle.

The ceremony started with Heechul and Siwon seated on one side of the table and Heechul’s shocked father and smiling imo, uncle and Puppy on the other side. Umma insisted and took an envelope from appa and sat down next to Puppy.

All the rest of us couples, leaving out our parents of course, came as Hahm bearers. Even Soo and noona joined us. With a lot of difficult negotiations Hahm was handed over to Puppy who placed it next to the blushing couple. Tae again divided the money. We were really shameless. Hyukkie catcalled for receiving less money than when it was our turn. Heechul’s father threw in a promise of a five-star dinner for the whole wedding party. The news was greeted with bows and thanks by us and cheers by the children.

The geese were presented and received by imo and umma. They poured and mixed wine for the grooms. Uncle and Heechul’s father threw the dates and nuts in the silk cloth, missing quite a few of them. Appa wolf whistled about being a better shot and high fived with Puppy’s father. He also catcalled Heechul’s father to aim better.

There was double laughter as we posed for more photographs. And finally we couples had the food. Drinkers partook from the abundant choice of liquor available. There were chants for the story of Heechul and Siwon’s first meeting.

Heechul blushed, Siwon hugged his shoulders and recounted.

“Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess Cinderella in a play to celebrate Daegu Police Agency. A rookie police officer took one look at her and fell head over heels in love. The love didn’t change even when Cinderella revealed she was actually a prince.”

Everyone laughed at that.

Heechul continued, “Cinderella’s father, the King forbade them to see each other. But their love didn’t change. King threatened to throw the commoner in jail. But love prevailed. Finally King had to give in and agree. And the two lived happily ever after.”

Heechul’s father hugged them both and kissed their cheeks. “True love is stronger than the mightiest king. Live happily forever my children.”

We raised more toasts to them. Uncle kept reminding everyone to go easy as we also had a dinner ahead of us. But no one paid any heed as round after round of cheers were called out. Non-drinkers joined in with fruit punch in their hands. Finally Heechul’s father changed the dinner to next day.

Kai and Sehun got out his music system and began playing a selection of dance music. They got even Puppy’s brother to dance with them.

Needless to say with two weddings to celebrate, we ate and drank and danced and made utter fools of ourselves till some of us couldn’t stand anymore.

We even had a race for the newlyweds. Puppy picked me up bridal style and Siwon picked up Heechul and we raced the length of the driveway. Halfway through Puppy and I changed places so I finished carrying him in my arms. We didn’t mind losing the race. We were happy that ours was an equal partnership.

Appa called for the final round of drinks. There were loud and some slurred shouts of “Forever” as the glasses clinked and drinks sloshed. We smiled and watched as Sehun and Minx toasted each other. Puppy and I sipped from a single glass of punch.

With imo, uncle and Jiyeon promising to look after all the children, Puppy, I, Heechul and Siwon waved our byes to everyone and took off for a night in a luxury hotel Puppy and Siwon had booked for us as a wedding gift. The two had vanished for a while during the celebrations and returned with gloating looks.

We parted ways in the elevator as our rooms were on different floors. Puppy guided me to a luxurious room with a king size bed. He switched off the lights and opened the curtains to let the city lights in. We shared our first kiss as a wedded couple. Actually it was no different from all our other kisses.

I smiled and pushed him on the bed and continued to show him how much I loved him till the city lights turned to day break. I loved him once again as our bodies were bathed in the pink rays of the first dawn of our new life.