Chapter 27

Reaching For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

 

It's getting hot here in Malaysia. =..=" I wonder if I can survive another day ... T~T

To fellow Malaysians, drink lots of water. And don't do too much outdoor activities! Especially you guys in school, just ditch all the sports and koko! xD (lol what an evil I am)

Enjoy this one because you guys are so lovely. ;)

 

 

 

 

It was his brother whom introduced to him this guy. Hwan Haneul was the name, working as a lecturer in Seoul National University in Psychology Major. He was his brother’s acquaintance back when he volunteered for a charity work at an orphanage house 3 years ago. He met this Hwan Haneul there volunteering for the work too and they made friends since then. With time passing by his brother learned that this guy had some kind of power; sixth sense the man preferred to use. He was even working as a freelance psychic helping others in need. He didn’t know if anyone would willingly put up with such kind of a crazy job but that was what his brother told him.

 

 

Meeting this man at first was not what he had in his mind but circumstances forced him to. He called for him yesterday; his brother gave his contact number about a week before, encouraging Youngbae to give this Haneul guy a call for his help regarding the building and the supernatural thingy around it; yes, he told his brother about it. Just in case, if one day he suddenly found dead choked to death by something or got hit by a car or worse committed suicide out of the blue, or perhaps they would find him joined Chanwoo in his coma. Who knew it, right?

 

 

The place where they had set up to meet was a café somewhere close to Insa-dong area. Not many people preferred to hang out at this premise, which made it a good spot for some privacy. It was a safe card, no one would see them meeting each other discussing on a very private and out-of-the-world topic. Hopefully the reporters and paparazzi wouldn’t find them here. An encounter with them was not in Youngbae’s to-do-list for the day.

 

 

“I heard about you quite a lot from your brother.” Haneul started off the conversation, voice light and feathery. “I never thought that I would be having the honor to meet you in person one day. I am flustered by your sudden call asking for us to see each other.” Youngbae politely flashed his smile without showing his gums, yet secretly stealing a few glances to closely monitor the man sitting before him. He looked quite younger than his real age, his brother told him that he was 27; the same age like Jiyong and him but in Youngbae’s eyes he looked like in his early 20s. He had a decent body shape, muscles hidden in his long sleeve shirt; he seemed like someone who had been working out a lot. His hair dyed with black-brownish color and eyes were a pair of black canvas, so dark that if Youngbae got lost in it he wouldn’t find his way back home.

 

 

He was not ugly, but not as good looking as Seunghyun yet still, he had the charms. Ladies would certainly take a liking on a decent man like him. Besides, there was something about the psychic that caught Youngbae’s attention. From the first time he saw the man, Youngbae could feel himself getting drawn to him, his eyes had the difficulty to peel off the man at a first glance. There was something about him that caught his attention. Was it his face? Definitely it was because Youngbae was absolutely sure that Haneul’s face was shining somehow. He felt calm whenever his eyes landed on that face, all worries flooding his inside got blew away.

 

 

“So, what can I do for you Taeyang-shii?”

 

 

“Please, just call me Youngbae. And there is no need for formality. Just call me by my name, we are the same age after all.”

 

 

“Ah, I’m sorry. It’s just…” Haneul had his hand over his mouth, eyes glowing in admiration. “It’s just hard to do that. I mean, we just met and you are such a big person with a big name out there. How could I just call you by name all of a sudden?” Youngbae chuckled at Haneul’s words. The latter joined him. Strange, it was the first time they were meeting each other yet Youngbae could feel as if he had met him before. Or was it because of the friendly aura he gave out? There were people like him in this world, existed with a special ability to drawn others to them, making all hearts melted by their presence and words. Jiyong loved to call them social butterfly. Their friendly natures could turn even a mere stranger into your closest friend.

 

 

Youngbae knew someone like that, but he was no longer here. Not anymore …...

 

 

They had a few talks here and there; about how Youngbae’s brother met Haneul, the charity works and other stuff unrelated. It was just a brief introduction between two strangers, - Youngbae was starting to think that the word was deemed unnecessary already-. After their drinks had arrived, Youngbae finally started to get into business.

 

 

Right after the waiter left their table Youngbae handed him a phone; Seunghyun’s phone. The light came on when he tapped on the screen, and a black dark background flashed before them. Haneul had his curiosity at its peak when he saw the app. He took a closer look at it and a red square box greeted his view. Youngbae tried to analyze the man before him, wanting to see his reaction whether it would be the same like Jennie back then when they showed her the app for the first time. Surprisingly, the psychic had no such expression like Jennie. He was calm instead and— was it a smile that Youngbae saw over the corner of his lips?

 

 

“I have a feeling that I don’t have to explain to you about this thing.” He concluded, eyes never peeling off the man. The psychic only gave him a smile, this time it was a full one; a knowing one and Youngbae wondered how much did he knew about the freaking crazy- app.

 

 

“This is not the first time I handled such a case.” The smile hadn’t faltered at all. The knowing look on his face resembling an old man with an old library stuck inside his head. He knew something— no, Youngbae was certain that this guy knew everything there was about it.

 

 

He had no idea why he did it, probably because of desperation but he did it nonetheless, “Please, we need your help.” He begged to the man, hand grabbing the psychic’s arm in utter helplessness. Youngbae had no inkling of the world on how on earth his hand suddenly moved by itself and grabbed the man’s arm. But it just did, and he was perplexed with his own action.

 

 

“Actually …” Haneul said, slowly breaking Youngbae’s hand off him. He might be a person who was not into skin ship. “This application is not something that is, how should I say it …. old school? To tell you the truth Youngbae-shii, this app has been getting viral for years already.” Youngbae was dumbstruck for a second, face filled with question marks. Was he hearing it right?

 

 

“Can I ask you something?” Youngbae had his head nodding to the question. “How much do you know about this application?”

 

 

That was a big question, how much did he knew about it? Other than it could bring harm and death to people, what was more for him to explain? “I know that this app is dangerous. It can do nothing other than hurting people.”

 

 

“Well, if you insist it that way it is fine. But the truth is not that ugly.” Haneul was playing with words, and truthfully Youngbae didn’t like it. In fact, he had no idea either if the man was just plainly speaking the truth in the easiest Korean language used or he was the one who was too stupid to understand.

 

 

“It is not just in Korea. This Death Well or The Dead’s Call app; are what it is called, started off in Japan and America years ago. And now, this app has been used by mostly teenagers all around the world. The number of users are little but, the popularity is quite big to say the least.”

 

 

“Isn’t it dangerous? Why would they use such a creepy app?” Youngbae had his confusion growing bigger and bigger, hundreds of creases decorating his forehead. His BB cream-off face was making him look even much older than his real age. The fact that the app was even known and used in another countries was too hard to believe.

 

 

“Apparently, no. This app can do no harm to others.” Wordlessly Youngbae found his confusion growing massive. “You might be thinking that this app is haunted but it is not like that. This app is not even close to be haunted. And so far, there is no death been associated with the usage of it.” The psychic’s words had him in a complete mental breakdown. None of his words been registered in Youngbae’s head. He couldn’t understand him at all. Or more like he couldn’t believe him. Everything was so puzzling.

 

 

“Well, sort of like that.” He added at the end, adding much wariness to Youngbae.

 

 

“I-I don’t understand. But this app— “

 

 

“This app is created for only one purpose; to make the youngsters of this generation to believe in the afterlife. So that they would have purposes in their lives and will not be wasting their futures away. That is the reason why this app exists.” Haneul said while he had his finger pointing at the phone for a brief second. It didn’t slip through Youngbae’s vision when the screen of the phone glitching the moment the psychic touched it, like it was going crazy and he didn’t know what was wrong with it all of a sudden.

 

 

“This application is harmless to the living. However, the living themselves are creating the danger by their own hands.” There he was; another words playing and Youngbae wondered if Psychology was his real major. He was quite convinced that this man was taking Literature or something. “Those certain people who is depending so much on this app, with a mindset planted deep in their heads that they can communicate with the dead again created an inconceivable desires and those desires of them change into an obsession.” He paused for the expresso before continuing, “They got carried away. And all of a sudden this application becomes not a game to them anymore but an important necessity in their life. That is when things start to go wrong.”

 

 

“You mean, it starts to get all haunted and stuff because people are so obsessed with it?” Youngbae had his head spinning with all the revelations.

 

 

“Absolutely right. When a person starts to put their ultimate belief in something lifeless, something that they created themselves, it makes their brain stimulating a new wave of imagination. From that on, they start to see things, feel things, experience things that actually don’t even happen in real life. It is all psychology.”

 

 

Like a thunder in the middle of the spring struck his whole body to numbness. All his blood drained towards his head and froze there making his neurons unable to process any information anymore. “P-psychology?” He said it, stuttering with utter disbelief painted on his face. “N-no. No, it can’t be. Are you trying to tell me that Ji— no. The users are all just imagining things? That all the calling and talking never exist?”

 

 

Haneul didn’t give any respond to him. The look on his face was different than minutes ago and in the meantime Youngbae couldn’t stop himself from muttering incoherent words to calm himself down. At one point, he kept saying, “ohmygod ohmygod ohmygo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter