Chapter 25

Reaching For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[CONTENTID1]

I'm so sleepy right now got nothing to say already. Enjoy guys~~

A/N: I am not so sure of all the medical logic I used in here is right or not so I hope you will understand. If there is any medic students here, please I would be glad to hear your opinion on this. It would be my great for you to correct me. :)

 

 

 

The rush of heartbeat prompted them to enter the room in complete exhaustion and uneasiness. The room was reeked of strong medicine and disinfectant that filled their nostrils heavily. The boys saw Youngbae and Yang Hyun Suk sitting beside each other on the chairs facing the doctor. She politely ushered for them to sit on the sofa behind and they followed her orders like a lost puppy. None of them had their brains functioning anymore to think of anything. They were deadly worried about the maknae and the tight faces of Yang Hyun Suk, Youngbae and even Hanbin and Jinhwan only made it worse.

 

 

After everybody had sat down, Yang Hyun Suk motioned for her to explain to the boys the same things just like what she had said to him before. She showed to them the X-Ray results belonged to Chanwoo and they could see how bad his fractures were. They didn’t have to be an Einstein or Florence Nightangle to understand what was shown to them. It was horrible and the maknae was in a serious bad shape. The thought sent shivers down their spines and they tried not to break down again.

 

 

The doctor took down all the black negative films showing the structure of bones in all parts of Chanwoo’s body then replaced it with another two films which were different than before. This time, it was not a films for the bones but for an ear with brain structure attached on it. Their frowns grew deeper looking at the complicated pictures.

 

 

“This is the X-Ray result of the patient showing the injuries in his inner ear. As you can see, the one on my right is the picture of a normal person’s ear while on the left one is the picture belongs to the patient who suffers from an injury of the inner ear.” She started to explain with the slim white stick in her hand pointing to the films.

 

 

“If you see it carefully, you can detect the differences in both ears. Jung Chanwoo-goon’s eardrum in his right ear has seemed to tear up. The ossicles in both side of his ears are dislocated probably because of the heavy blows to his head for a multiple time. I believe his cochlea is injured too. You can see how bad the tearing is from this side.” It was hard to digest all the information given to them. They all had the same tense expression and their hearts felt like skipped a beat when the reality sunk in.

 

 

Chanwoo’s injuries were bad enough to take his own life and none of them can do anything to change that.

 

 

Yang Hyun Suk sighed out heavily in frustration. He tried to calm himself down by heaving out slowly the air in his lungs. He suddenly looked much older than his age. “What is the consequences of the injuries he sustains?” He asked the doctor, eyes seemed almost closed probably because of the stress and fatigue.

 

 

“Ear injuries can affect others differently depends on a certain situation. Patient might be having a few difficulties involving body balance, major fatigue, constant dizziness, nauseas, difficulties in hearing and speaking, vision problems ….” She listed out all the possible side effects that Chanwoo might endure but none of the words were registered in the boys’ heads. It was too much for them to take in the whole situation. “But we cannot make sure of it yet. We need to wait for him to wake up first to see the symptoms.”

 

 

“Then, if he really does show any of the symptoms you have mentioned, what is the possibility for him to continue his career as an idol?” The question vaporized into the air and the room fell into silence. Finally, someone had voiced out the question that all of them were dreading to ask. Youngbae deliberately pressed on the word if though it was not necessary anymore as for sure Chanwoo would be experiencing some of it.

 

 

The sigh from her was like snatching the air out from everybody. The tension was thick and the silence almost made it possible for them to hear each of their hearts hammering loudly through their ribcages waiting for the response from the woman before them. “I think it is better for him to take a long rest from all the injuries he has or he could just drop out from his idol career entirely.” She said it so straightforwardly that they swore that she was the most outspoken person that any of them had ever met. –minus Yang Hyun Suk of course. –

 

 

They had their eyes widen up instantly hearing her words. She said the words so simply without knowing the consequences that the simple act could bring. Dropping out meant that Chanwoo had to throw away all of his dreams to be a singer. All the practices, the sweats and tears and blood spilled would have no meaning anymore. It sickened them to even imagine what would be the maknae reaction to that.

 

 

“Please, can’t you do something to help that boy? He can’t drop out from this. Chanwoo wants to be a singer. It’s his dream and I couldn’t let all his hard works go down the drain.” Yang Hyun Suk pleaded the doctor for her help. The obvious frustration in her expression and the hundred creases on her forehead showed how guilty she was on all the ordeal. However, the foreign glint in her eyes looked suspicious. Youngbae noticed it.

 

 

“I think none of you are taking this matter seriously. Sir, an injury to the ear parts is not something that could be taken so lightly. Not to mention that the patient is diagnosed with a severe concussion and his entire body, especially his pelvis is in pain.” They were taken aback when she suddenly pulled the drawer harshly and slammed a big white file on the desk right in front of Yang Hyun Suk and Youngbae’s faces. It was only a centimeter apart before the file would be slapping their faces. She took out several papers from the file and Youngbae saw Chanwoo’s name engraved in big black capital letters on the cover. It was probably his medical documents or such.

 

 

“The CT Scan shows the slight inflammation of nerves in his spines. The 2 fractures of his Thoracic vertebrae is destroying some of the joints and nerves connected to the spines and if the injury becomes severe, patient might be paralyzed for his entire life.” As if all the air was taken out from the room, none of them could breathe properly. Donghyuk was already crying and he had his head hidden on Bobby’s chest to muffle out the sobs. Hanbin seemed shocked the most by the news. His eyes couldn’t stop blinking probably trying to clear his vision from the tears forming.

 

 

The file was closed back with the doctor staring at the two men sitting before her. She had flame in her eyes and it pricked on Youngbae’s interest to know what was the cause of such an uplift in her emotions. “I really do hope you understand what I am trying to explain to you. The patient cannot continue on what he has been doing anymore. Seriously, that boy will be having a very serious spines problem in the future because of the hit he got.”

 

 

It was hard to believe that this thing was happening to Chanwoo. Youngbae felt how his heart stung badly thinking of the calamity that befall on the younger boy. He had always been a kind kid, hardworking, he listened well to his elders and always be well-mannered around others. So why him? Why it had to be Chanwoo out from all of the people around them? The thought struck his head strongly and now Youngbae couldn’t shook it away easily.

 

 

“Can he heals?” Hanbin’s voice broke all the tension in the room. “I-I mean, can he dances again? Is the injuries too bad until he can’t even dance a little bit?” The leader’s eyes glittered with hopes that only inflicted sharp pained to everyone. But it was not him, all of s had the same eyes that shined with hope for the maknae to still be able to continue what he loved to do. Their innocence shattered the adults’ hearts.

 

 

“I am sorry but if he continues on dancing, I’m afraid his health might deteriorate. It is very dangerous for him especially since he is too young. He has a long way to go after all.” It was heartbreaking to see the boys’ hopes been crushed down mercilessly by the simple logic of science and medicine. But who were they to neglect the fact and reality? It was only then that Youngbae saw how small Hanbin was. He had always been the one protecting s and now with one of them going down, he must have been feeling so bad.

 

 

They thought that they had nothing more to discuss. Yang Hyun Suk was completely drained from all the things that were happening and Youngbae took it as a sign for him to take the lead. He wanted to say thank you to the doctor for her help and about to leave the room before she stopped them in their spots with her unpredictable attack.

 

 

“Actually, there is something that I need to show you.” Another wave of confusion hit them and they took back their seats to hear her out. The doctor then took out another file from under her desk; this time much smaller than the papers in the white file. She snapped the cover opened revealing a few pictures. She placed them on the desk before showing it to Youngbae and Yang Hyun Suk. The boys were hovering over behind them to have a look at it curiously.

 

 

At first it was unregistered for them to understand but with the seconds passed they had a bit of inkling on what they were seeing. Sound of someone gulping could be heard but who was it no one had the tendency to find out. The silence gave the doctor an opportunity to explain the pictures to them.

 

 

“These are the pictures that we captured before the surgery. And I think I don’t have to explain with more details to any of you about what is it.” Indeed, she didn’t have to. Because the answer was staring right in front of them. The pictures were many but it was all showing the same thing. A skin of someone with what seemed to be scars, bruises and claw marks decorating its delicate surface. They had bloods on it and the colors of the bruises was too ugly for them to see.

 

 

“Is this on Chanwoo’s body?” Bobby dared himself to speak up. The nod from the doctor made him gulping up more. His eyes became redder and he stared at the pictures only to look away afterwards. Jinhwan and Yunhyeong were mirroring his action.

 

 

“I need to ask this to s…” She spoke firmly to them; one hand on her waist while the other placed on the desk with palm opened. The iKON's boys had all their attentions on her. “Have any of you seen this scars and claw marks on him before?” She asked them carefully. From the way her voice sounded it was as if she was talking to little kids that got caught in the act of smashing their mother’s precious vase or something.

 

 

“No, we don’t.” Jinhwan answered her question in only a second; eyes never leaving the woman’s face. He looked somewhat angry and scared for a reason that they couldn’t tell. The doctor then took one of the pictures on the desk and held it in front of the boys. The picture showed a few black-bluish ugly bruises on the skin. Some of them looked red while some looked like it was fading away. “Then how about this one?” She asked again.

 

 

“No, we have never seen it before.” Yunhyeong answered it cautiously. His tired face was deadly serious. He swore that he saw the doctor’s eyebrow raised a bit at him; as if she was not convinced with his answer and thus he continued, “Trust me, I’m his roommate. I have never seen any of the bruises on his body before.”

 

 

“Oh, really?” The disturbing tone in her voice made all of them frowned. What did she mean by that? “Because we found out that these are an old bruise. It has been like …. 3 weeks or more.” All of them were looking at the doctor as if she was growing another head. Yang Hyun Suk who was slouching on the chair straightened back his posture and gave her his most confused look.

 

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” He asked her; voice clearly showing that he was lost and flustered at the same time.

 

 

“This picture shows that there are some of the bruises that is old on his body. He has it before the accident today. It’s either from a bump on the bedside, tripped while dancing, been hit by something or…”

 

 

“Someone.” Heads turned to Youngbae the moment the word slipped out from his mouth. He had his eyes on the young doctor and he saw how pleased she was for him to finish it for her. When she took back her seat, a sickening smirk made its way to her full lips. Her stance surprised everybody and when Youngbae locked eyes with her only then he understood the meaning behind all the glints in her dark-brownish eyes before.

 

 

“Excuse me if what I am about to say will offend you but…...” Yang Hyun Suk halted his words to gather enough oxygen into his lungs. He had just realized that he had been holding it up looking at those horrible pictures. His face became grim and he looked very angry. “Is it possible that you are accusing me, the company and s on abusing him?”

 

 

The words were out and it felt like the time stopped. Not even the sound of the ticking clock could bring it back. They saw how the doctor smiled with the lift of the corner of her lips and they thought of her being so arrogant. None of them took a liking on her behavior.

 

 

“Well, at least you don’t hear that from me.” Was what she said, smile never faltered from her face. “Now could you please explain to me boys, what exactly happened to your member?” Her question was thrown to the boys this time. It didn’t take long for Donghyuk to yell out the answer, bringing back the freeze time with him.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter