twenty-six

You're Cold, Milady

" I Love You So Damn Much. " —;


 

The butler turned away and sighed before looking at the chief servant. "I'd rather get sacked then let an innocent woman get . Call young master Kim now, and then call the police." he ordered. The chief servant exchanged glances with the rest of the servants before finally picking up the house phone. "You're right. I'd rather get sacked." the other servants agreed. In one ring, Sunggyu picked up the phone.

"Young master Kim, quickly come home your father has returned and he saw Woori ssi—" before the chief servant could even finished, Sunggyu already barged through the front door, his face looking as anxious as ever. "Call the police NOW." he yelled before he turned to the girl that was with his father earlier. "Ahyoung go home. Report to the police, get revenge on whatever that bastard did to you. Go." A scream was heard from his room and he immediately dashed up the stairs.

The horrifying sight scarred him. His father was on bed with...Woori...in her undergarments. Anger surged through his veins as he ran and jumped before slamming a punch in to his father's face before pulling Woori roughly away from him. "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?!" Sunggyu screamed in agony as he took a baseball bat and swung it at his father's back before kicking him in the crotch. "You could always mess with me, but did you have to do this to Woori?!" he screamed once more before swinging a hit on the latter's torso.

"Sunggyu ya! The police are coming. Go now. Run away. Bring your fiancee to somewhere far away. Go now!" Ahyoung exclaimed, pulling the bat away from him and throwing it on the floor. Sunggyu's hands trembled as he turned to Woori's unconscious body. He quickly carried her before running down, grabbing a towel from one of the servants while he did. He stopped right at the entrance and faced the butler, wanting to say something. "I-if t-the p-police comes...s-show them the cct-tv..."

"Yes we understand young master Kim, now go." the chief servant hurried. "Goodbye young master Kim. We will meet again." the butler mouthed before he bowed to the latter. Unknowingly, a tear slipped from Sunggyu's eyes as he anxiously turned and ran to his car. He wrapped Woori in the towel before hopping in the front seat and finally drove off from that hell hole.

 

His vision blurred oftenly and the pounding in his head was getting stronger and stronger. Sunggyu felt the sweat trickling down his face and he felt his throat tightening. Suddenly, the image of his father appeared in his head, his father was choking him. Sunggyu found it harder to breathe as he tried to stablize himself so that he could drive, but his imagination was getting the better of him. "Bastard...let go..." he soon found himself suffocating and gasping for air, finally pulling the car into a safe stop at the side of the road before anything bad happens.

Releasing the stirring wheel out of his grip, he brought his overly trembling hands to his neck, trying to get rid of the image of his father choking him. Tears began to slip out of his eyes as he continued gasping for air. He felt as though he was going to die and for the first time, he felt extremely scared. "Sunggyu..." Hm? What was that? It sounded like Woori's voice...

"Sunggyu..." the image of his father was starting to fade away. "SUNGGYU!" the image disappeared and air finally entered his lungs again. Sunggyu breathed deeply before he started coughing non stop. Since now Sunggyu had control of his own body, he quickly fumbled in the small compartment in his car. He took out a bottle and with trembling hands, he popped some pills in his mouth and swallowed it quickly. He felt his heart clenching painfully before the medicine took effect.

Sunggyu stopped coughing as he felt his heart calming down now, he panted heavily before realization hit him. It was his first panic attack in 4 years ever since his mother died. Sunggyu had a panic disorder ever since his mother died but he thought he managed to recover from it since he was treated by top scholar doctors. He never had a panic attack since then but he still put his medicine in his car, just to be safe. "So...i've never recovered?" he muttered as he looked at the medicine bottle in his hand.

Probably the reason why Sunggyu didn't have any panic attacks ever since his mother died was because he became coldly strong but now it seems that he has turned weak once again. "Sunggyu..." that voice...it was Woori! Sunggyu snapped his gaze to the girl in his back seat alarmingly. Woori's eyes were weakly opened and her voice was hoarse. "Sunggyu ya...are you alright?" her voice was so soft he could barely hear her. "Babo, I should be asking you that. I swear, I will get you treated at a hospital, but first we have to get you changed and run away from this hell hole." Sunggyu said, sighing as he saw the intimidating bruises on her body.

But then there was another problem, he couldn't change Woori's clothes for her, it's not like he has the right to, and she has to bathe too and get treated without rumors and news spreading like wild fire. Just where...can he go? He was thinking so hard that he even slapped himself to think even quicker. There was not much time before his father stands back up on his feet. Just then, a light bulb blinked.

"Woori, do you happen to know where Jaemi lives?"

 


 

"Seyeon ah, what's this?" Sungyeol asked, pointing at one of the animals in a children book he was showing the child. "Lion..." the kid mumbled before she fumbled with the book, snatching it away from the latter. "Hey hey, you'll spoil it like that. And no Seyeon, it's not a lion, it's a tiger. Lions have no stripes, and lions have a very funny hairstyle, like tarzan." he explained, using hand gestures to exaggerate the tarzan hairstyle which made Seyeon giggle.

"Alright, animal identifying time is over. Lunch is here~" Jaemi hummed as she placed a bowl of porridge which includes crushed carrots, minced fish meat and chicken. "Umma...I still want Sungyeol oppa to show me the animals." the kid pouted. "No. If that happens, you won't eat your food, you'll get distracted." Jaemi said, carrying Seyeon and putting her on the chair. "Umma please..." Seyeon pouted and begged once more. "Alright alright, this oppa will show you the animals, but you have to promise to eat as I do that okay?" Sungyeol said, making a deal.

"Ya Lee Sungyeol!!" Jaemi jokingly glared at her boyfriend. "You're going to make the child cry! I'm sure she will eat. Right Seyeon?" Sungyeol asked, flashing his gummy smile. "Ne oppa!" she said cheerfully. Jaemi huffed as she crossed her arms. "So you listen to oppa now and not umma?" Jaemi said flatly. "Because Sungyeol oppa is good looking..." Seyeon giggled as she ate a spoon of porridge all by herself.

"Ya Jung Seyeon—" before Jaemi could continue, the door opened, revealing a very concerned servant. "Yes Chaeyeon ahjumma? What's the matter, is something wrong?" Jaemi asked worriedly. "It's just that...there is this person called Sunggyu, who is here to see you...and Miss Woori is also with him and she—" the ahjumma sighed, not wanting to go to her next point. "What? Sunggyu is here? I'll go check it out." Sungyeol said, immediately standing up.

"No no Sungyeol. Take care of Seyeon, I can handle this." Jaemi said as she left the room with the servant. Sungyeol sighed as he sat back down onto the floor, turning his gaze back to Seyeon. "Sungyeol oppa! Show me the animals!" Seyeon whined as she threw her spoon on the floor. "Alright alright! Don't throw your spoon!"

Jaemi approached the gates of her mansion and true enough, she saw Sunggyu standing out of his car, patiently waiting. Something seems to be different about him though. "Sunggyu sunbaenim?" Jaemi began, catching his attention since he has been waiting with his head down, not realizing that she was here. "Ah yes...Jaemi...I need your help, wait no...Woori needs your help." his voice was so gentle and soft that it scared her. Sunggyu stepped away from his car window and Jaemi could see Woori lying in the backseat with nothing on but a towel and her undergarments and to top it all up, there were bruises everywhere. "Oh my god..."

 

"How can Woori be treated like this...? This is just too unfair for her. THIS IS ABSURD!" Sungyeol roared. Sunggyu is in a dilemma too. How can this happen to her? She doesn't deserve to be treated this way, she has done nothing wrong. Sunggyu massaged his temples before letting out an agonizing groan. He is about to break down any minute now. He felt as though he can die of heartache. He felt as though his whole world— "Sunggyu sunbaenim...I think it's best if you were to break off this engagement with Woori." —came crashing down.

As if on instinct, Sunggyu glared at the girl, scaring her a little before she had no choice but to look away. "I won't break the engagement." Sunggyu said firmly. Jaemi stood up, finally getting fed up of this . "Why not?! This is all because of you sunbaenim. If Woori never got engaged with you, she would have a happy life, she would be with Myungsoo and none of this will happen. Have you realized that you, Sunggyu ssi, actually ruined her life?! Now she is scarred forever. Are you going to take responsibility of that? Aren't you going to divorce her once you get married with her? It is a contract marriage anyways, so why not just break off the engagement now and save all the trouble? Save Woori? Are you that much of a selfish bastard—"

Before Jaemi could finish, Sunggyu stood up too, his fist clenching into balls. "I LOVE HER OKAY. I ING LOVE HER OKAY?! NOW WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT THE UP!" he yelled so loud, that he was pretty sure that anyone in the mansion would've heard him. Jaemi got startled for a second, but she came back even more stronger. "IF YOU WERE TO TRULY LOVE HER YOU WILL LET HER GO. UNFORTUNATELY, YOUR LOVE IS KILLING HER SO PLEASE...LET HER GO."

Suddenly, Sunggyu couldn't breathe again. The choking started, the sweating started, the trembling started. Sunggyu fell on the floor as both his hands went up to his neck, gasping for air as his body shook on the ground uncontrollably. The picture? It was Woori's leaving back. The imagination burned in his mind as he watched the girl turn her face away as she walked further and further away from him. "SUNGGYU SUNGGYU! GET A GRIP!" he could hear Sungyeol trying to shake him to his senses but it was futile. The image just wouldn't fade away like the previous time and this time, his heart ached much more.

 

"Sunggyu ya..." he heard that familiar honey like voice calling out for him. "Hmm?" he turned around and saw Woori. She looked extremely beautiful, and she was even more beautiful with that white dress hanging on her body. Sunggyu looked at himself and realized he was wearing a tuxedo and the ring on his third finger is different. "Sunggyu ya...what are you doing? Come here." Woori smiled as she ran around in the meadow. The sun was setting as Woori had the most beautiful smile plastered onto her face as she swirled in her dress in the meadow. Sunggyu couldn't help but smile. He was so, so, happy.

Sunggyu ran to her and hugged her tightly, never wanting to let go. "How can you still dance in that dress? It looks heavy on you..." he pouted. "I'm a dancer, I can dance in any outfit, including my wedding gown." Woori smiled at him. Wedding gown? "Why are our engagement rings different?" he asked curiously, looking at it. "You fool. That's our wedding ring. We got married, didn't we?" Sunggyu widened his eyes as he looked at the ring once more before looking back at Woori. Suddenly, Woori's smile turned straight.

"What's wrong—"

"Sunggyu wake up."

"Huh?"

"Sunggyu wake up."

"Woori what are you talking about?"

"SUNGGYU WAKE UP!!!"

Sunggyu's eyes finally opened and the first thing he saw was 3 faces staring at him worriedly, and one of those faces included Woori whom he was so relieved to see. "So it was all a dream huh..." he thought silently as he hugged Woori, but when he did, she winced in pain before gently pushing him off. "What's wrong?" Sunggyu asked. "My bruises..." Woori mumbled and that ached the latter's heart even more.

 

"I'm so sorry...sunbaenim..." Jaemi sighed as she let her head down in utter self-disappointment. "We never meant for you get in a panic attack...i'm so sorry dude..." Sungyeol apologized afterwards. "I only thought of Woori, and I never actually thought of how you felt, but honestly speaking, I still oppose of the engagement, but if you really love her, and if you really can't be without her...then please, the least you could do is protect her, right sunbaenim?" Jaemi continued.

Sunggyu was silent all this while before he turned to Woori, wondering what she has to say for this too, but she kept quiet. The man stood up before placing one knee on the floor, and then the other. He placed both hands on his lap before bowing towards Woori. "I am sorry Woori. I am so sorry that I think I will atone my whole life for this. This all happened because of me, i'm so...sorry Woori...but I love you so much..." this was a great surprise to everyone. The ego-maniac, prideful, cold and cynical Kim Sunggyu is actually kneeling down, apologizing and pouring his heart out?

Shocking? Yes.

Surprising? Yes.

Unexpected? Hell yeah.

Woori said no words as she got down from her chair and put her arms around the crying guy. He was crying so agonizingly that everyone wonders if he was really Kim Sunggyu.

 

"Yoon Jaemi you went overboard!" Sungyeol yelled as he stared at Sunggyu's unconscious body on the ground after having to witness his panic attack which he hasn't seen in 4 years. "Oppa what did you say?" Jaemi gasped soundlessly. "Maybe he really loves her, maybe he does! It's not easy to let go of someone you love, you can't just force him to do that! Will you be able to let me go easily? No! I wouldn't be able to too. I haven't seen his panic disorder ever since his mother died, I thought he totally recovered from it so why do you think he has a panic attack now?" Sungyeol scolded. Jaemi finally realized her wrongdoings as she stared at Sunggyu, deeply guilty. "I am so disappointed in you...Yoon Jaemi."

 

"What are your plans...?" Sungyeol asked softly. The two guys have taken a break from the girls since the girls needed to do their own girl talk too. "I'm so...stressed out...all I can think is running away with Woori for the time being, until my father is permenantly down, I don't want to return to Seoul." Sunggyu sighed, trying to think but his mind keeps blanking on him. "I got an idea! You have a house on jeju island right? You can stay there with Woori for now. Your passport is in your Hongdae apartment right? Go get your passport and valuables now." Sungyeol said, nugding him.

"Do you think Woori would even go with me?" Sunggyu asked. "We're in this together...right?" Woori appeared at the door, speaking much more softer than her original tone. "C'mon dude see, go get your valuables now." Sungyeol said. "Let me come with you..." Woori volunteered. "No...stay here. You're safer here. I'll be right back..." Sunggyu said as he kissed the crown of Woori's head.

Sunggyu had alot of things running through his mind and honestly, he is traumatized, but he couldn't show that of course, how can a traumatized man protect his woman? His hands began trembling as he unlocked his car, wanting to go in, but someone called out for him. Other than Woori's voice, it seems that he has developed a phobia of getting called by other people.

He turned around and saw the familiar woman from earlier, still wearing her clubbing dress but this time, her make up was smudged. "I was looking for you everywhere. You needed to leave the country with your fiancee right? Her luggage was at home, but I managed to grab some of her valuables and sneaked it away before the police held possession of it. Her passport included, here." She said, handing Sunggyu a small bag. "Thank you so much...Ahyoung noona...but what happened to my fath—no, what happened to Kim Ryujoong?" he asked. "Well, fortunately, that bastard finally got arrested and he couldn't come up with any alibi since the police saw the cctv footage too. After so many years of torture, of being his slave, karma has finally gotten back at him." Ahyoung smiled. "I'm free now."

"That's good for you...Ahyoung noona. I hope you will have a happy life from now onwards..." Sunggyu said. "Well, I don't want to say anything too early yet, after all, Kim Ryujoong is master of manipulation, he has many tricks up his sleeves, so I suggest you to still continue on your plan, to run away with your fiancee, just in case. Come back when you know he's down for good." Ahyoung smiled genuinely as she caressed Sunggyu's head. "Noona, aren't you cold? You're wearing nothing but a sleeveless dress, you want my jacket?" Sunggyu offered.

"No no, not at all. I'm immune to the cold now after having to do this for years. Aigoo, the naive young teenage boy i've met 4 years ago, has turned into a man now eh? How blessed." she let out a small motherly-like laugh. "I guess I have to get going now. I still have to give my statement to the police. So I guess this is goodbye huh. I wish you good luck Sunggyu ya, live well." Ahyoung waved farewell as she finally walked away while Sunggyu bowed towards her in pure gratitude.

 


 

"It feels as though i'm sending my brother to war..." Sungyeol sobbed before getting smacked in the head. "What crap are you talking about? It's not like i'm never coming back. Sheesh." Sunggyu rolled his eyes. Woori finally came out of the room, dressed in a long sleeved t-shirt and jeans, to hide her bruises. She brought a bag a clothes with her with her passport and phone in the other hand. "I gave 50% of my clothes to you, even though it may be a little small, I hope you wear them well. I will be waiting for you to return." Jaemi said as sad tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I will miss you Nam Woori." she said, hugging her bestfriend before pulling back immediately, forgetting about the painful bruises. "Oops...sorry."

Even though it was hard to part, Sunggyu and Woori finally got in the car before they drove off to the airport. It was a silent ride there but the two couldn't wait to leave this damn place and somehow start afresh. After arriving at the airport, they went through the customs, and finally, like finally, it was time to board the plane.

Sunggyu felt the guiltiest at that moment, so he held Woori back as he cupped her face. "Woori, i'm really sorry for ruining your life...i'm so so sorry for everything, I know sorrys can't make anything better, but I still want to say it because I can't do anything for you—" Woori placed a finger at his lips and hushed him.

 

 

 

 

"All I need now is, for you to be by my side..."

 


 

I don't really know what to say about this chapter but, just to let you guys know, the skiptation is near(4 years later...etcetc) and once the skiptation is over, then it will be a few chapter of so called 'epilogues' before this story officially ends. So yeap. Anticipate on the next chapter please, and do comment on what you think!

-Mi Eun