nineteen

You're Cold, Milady

" Friend In Need " —;


 

The 3 students were walking awkwardly side by side in the now-empty hallway that echoed their footsteps. There was alot of questions that went through Jaemi's mind. She wanted to ask so much questions, but the main one was...why? Why did Sungyeol protect her? She didn't really understand. They just met and Sungyeol was already...Jaemi's protecter? That sounds kind of absurd, honestly speaking.

And there was no reason for Sungyeol to help her, it's not like he was indebted to her, it was actually the other way round. On the other hand, Woori felt a tiny sense of joy for there is someone so kind hearted to speak up for Jaemi. "Lee Sungyeol ssi." Jaemi began softly. "Why did you do that?" she asked. "Must I have a reason to do that? Shouldn't you always protect a friend in need?" Sungyeol stopped as he turned towards her. That famous phrase 'Help a friend in need', sure, it was famous, but the society's change, no one actually follows that saying right now. The society now mainly consist of backstabbing and betrayal, there was no such thing as loyalty.

Jaemi turned towards Woori and signalled her to give them some space and when she did, Jaemi turned back to Sungyeol. "But you've only met me recently." she said. Sungyeol smiled at her as he straightened his posture. "But..." he paused. "But?" Jaemi repeated in antcipation, not even knowing why she was anticipating. Sungyeol took a deep breath before opening his mouth to speak again. "In that short amount of time, you've showed me what an amazing person you are." he confessed.

Jaemi blinked a few times, subconsciously blushing because of the remark. "Oh." she didn't know what to say anymore. She was dumbfounded, starstruck, appalled, shocked. Everything. Seeing that Jaemi was in an awkward daze, Sungyeol spoke again. "Shouldn't you be saying thank you?" he joked. "Oh yeah...t-thank you." Jaemi stuttered, earning a chuckle from the latter.

Sungyeol placed his hands on her shoulders and raised her chin up. "Walk confidently, with your chin up. Block out the hateful comments people throw at you, and everything would be alright." Sungyeol said gently. Jaemi knew that, of course she knew that. She was no child, but she felt a little at ease, because Sungyeol actually said that to her. Well, it seems that having people to tell you that is more comforting than trying to persuade yourself in believing that unfair logic.

"Remember that." Sungyeol smiled before he looked at his watch. "No!! I'm going to be late for my physics class! See you later Jaemi!" Sungyeol waved as he dashed to the physics lab. Jaemi managed a smile as she watched his back getting tiner, and tiner. "Thank you so much...Lee Sungyeol ssi."

 

Woori came face to face with Sunggyu again as she was on the way to her class. She did feel sorry for kneeing him right in the balls, but she did not regret it one bit. The lack of respect, the roughness, the obnoxiousness. Kim Sunggyu didn't deserve to be human, hell he deserved to get beaten up like a pulp. "Don't you have anything to say to me?" He asked. Woori actually debated with herself whether to apologize or not, and of course, she chose the latter.

As once stated, if anyone needs to apologize, it is Kim Sunggyu. "No, I don't. Do YOU have anything to say to me?" Woori asked, rolling her eyes in process. She wanted to walk away since she didn't expect him to say anything, like, what can he say? That was why Woori mentally gasped when the two most shameful words came out rolling off his tongue. "I'm sorry."

With widened eyes, she felt herself getting inwardly excited, she didn't know why. Maybe it's because the arrogant and obnoxious bastard apologized for the first time in forever? Probably so. That thought made her bit her lips to prevent her from smiling. She can smile to anyone, anyone except Kim Sunggyu.

Why?

Because he's Kim Sunggyu.

"Okay." her reply was short and curt as she attempted to walk away again. Sunggyu mentally fumed in embarrassment. Just how could she be so...carefree?! It was like his apology wasn't even heard at all! "Ok-okay?! That's it? I threw away my pride to apologize to you!" he stuttered in disbelief. "That's too bad then, what do you want me to do? You deserved it after all." Woori said, her voice subconsciously ended with a high pitched teasing tone.

His jaw dropped.

As soon as Woori walked away, her lips curled up into a smile as she chuckled at that epic moment right there. If only she could capture how Sunggyu's face looked so stupid, she would've continued laughing at him for a thousand years. It was only the previous night when she was breathing out anger, and now she's actually laughing because of him. Gosh, this is absurd, but she sure felt great teasing Kim Sunggyu.

However, that smile disappeared when someone appeared in front of her.

Someone that she has been feeling so deeply guilty for; her lover.

"I cannot stand this." his voice was shaking, like how it did the previous night. It was killing him that he has to see the woman he loves, get engaged to the guy he hates the most, and it killed him even more, just by seeing her smile because of him. "Are you happy?" he asked, staring deeply into Woori's eyes. "Myungsoo what are you talking about—" the latter interrupted her. "Congratulations, you're happy." Myungsoo accused.

Myungsoo forced himself to turn away, because no matter how much this hurts him, his feelings for Woori will always stay, even if it means totally killing him inside. That feeling was imprinted in his heart, until the day he dies. "Myungsoo, i'm so, so sorry." Woori muttered. "I really do not know...what to do. I'm stuck Myungsoo ya." continuing with a trembling voice, she sighed.

Myungsoo felt a wave of deja vu as the longing thoughts filled his mind. His desire to kiss her, his desire to hug her, his desire for her to be his again. It felt like the other night when he forced himself to abandon her right in front of her house. It felt horrible, feels horrible. Terribly horrible. He knew what Sunggyu was capable of, and compared to Kim Sunggyu, Kim Myungsoo was just a mere spec of dust.

"I'm stuck too." he turned to face her, which made her heart ache even more because Kim Myungsoo was crying. And Woori hated it because Kim Myungsoo never cries, Kim Myungsoo was a strong guy who stood up for her, kept up with her bull, protected her for 17 years. It made her felt even more guilty and depressed.

"Then what do you want me to do?!" she yelled, frustrated that there was basically nothing she could do to bring everything back to normal. She is not the one in control, she is not the one who has the power to change things. Woori is just like a helpless rag doll, lying in the attic, filled with dust. True, there was nothing the both of them can do.

This is their fate, their destiny.

Not being to face Myungsoo any longer, Woori turned and ran away.

 

The bell rang and Woori felt extremely disturbed because Lee Sungyeol kept following her. "Why are you following me?" she asked in an annoyed tone. "For the last time! I'm not exactly following you, I just want to...uh...see Jaemi?" he pinked, earning a disgusted expression from the latter. "You are weird." Woori mumbled as she shook her head.

A minute later, Jaemi came out of the classroom like usual, waving a Woori with a 'let's go', but this time, she choked on her saliva when she saw Sungyeol standing right behind Woori, and Woori had this epic expression on her face. "Lee Sungyeol ssi?" Jaemi raised an eyebrow. "Jaemi Jaemi Jaemi Jaemiiiii!!! Please please please please please let me play with Seyeon!" he exclaimed excitedly like a child.

"EH?!" the two girls widened their eyes at him.

Jaemi dragged Sungyeol to quiet corner where nobody can hear them. "Lee Sungyeol ssi!" she exclaimed in frustration. "It's not Lee Sungyeol ssi, it's Sungyeol oppa. C'mon say it." he corrected her, making her blush at the same time. "Anyways, you ca-can't!" Jaemi declined, mentally cursing herself for stuttering. "Why?" Sungyeol pouted.

"What will my parents think?!" Jaemi said, panicky. Jaemi's parents was upset ever since the day Seyeon's dad fled, Jaemi didn't dare to get into another relationship, or let any guy near her, fearing to be hurt and abandoned again. Jaemi felt relieved when she had a crush on Sunggyu though.

Why?

Because it was nearly impossible for Sunggyu to like her back, so it was safe. It was impossible, but safe and now, Lee Sungyeol is making everything so dangerous for her again. "Well, I can just talk to them. I know what you're thinking Jaemi, relax, i'm just a friend. No harm done." Sungyeol said casually as if his words didn't have any weight. It left Jaemi speechless and a little disappointed at the same time. Before Jaemi could protest any further, Sungyeol put his finger at her lips, shushing her.

"I don't care, I'm not taking no for an answer." he said. Woori immediately moved Sungyeol's finger away. "Where do you think you're putting your finger at." she hissed. Sungyeol kept quiet since he already had nothing to say. The atmosphere got awkward as the 3 stared at each other, not knowing what to do, or say. They even forgot why they were having this conversation in the first place.

Clearing , Woori smirked. "Are you sure you only see Jaemi as a friend?" she asked him. The 2 stared at each other. Sungyeol was confusing himself. "What?" the two of them mumbled in shock, looking at each other again. Sungyeol didn't know why he denied, but he just did. Probably because he didn't want Jaemi to see him as some kind of creeper, even though she actually does see him as a creeper; well a little.

Jaemi felt disappointed; again, with his denial. Maybe she was expecting too much, after all, he was really nice to her, he protected her, of course Jaemi would misunderstand. Who wouldn't? "Sure." Woori said, ending the conversation shortly but kept the teasing expression towards Sungyeol. "Fine fine, let's just go already." Jaemi huffed.

 

Many things happened in the next few weeks. The news about Sunggyu's and Woori's engagement and the next moment Woori knew, cameras were being shoved into her face everytime she comes out of school. "I have nothing to tell you, so don't bother coming back!" The reporters were stubborn as hell. Woori had to yell and yell for 2 weeks before the reporters stopped bothering her.

It was annoying. Really annoying.

After she felt that it was safe, she started to take up a part time job at a cafe that was quite far away from town and her colleagues would oftenly title her as 'South Korea's national heir's fiancee' which annoyed her even more. Woori didn't like that title. Not one bit.

And right when Woori was at her most annoyed point, the man of the subject came for a visit. The whole cafe; even the baristas stopped and stared at the dashing man in the suit. Who knew South Korea's heir would come to a cafe located in the most deserted part of Seoul? Oh wait, no, actually everyone anticipated for his visit.

Why?

Because his fiancee was working there.

But isn't it strange?

Why was the fiancee of a rich heir who owns Bugatti Veyron, working as a waitress. It doens't make sense, does it?

"I need to talk to you." Sunggyu said. Woori shot the man a glare. She was so sick of him, nothing makes her more sick than this very man named Kim Sunggyu. "What the do you want? Can't you leave me the alone?" Woori asked, slamming her palms on the table in process. Everyone flinched at her attitude, even Sunggyu was shocked. Just a few weeks ago he made her laugh and now she's...back to normal.

Sunggyu went behind the counter and pulled Woori out of the shop through the backdoor. "What's your problem?" Woori said as she yanked her arm away. "Why are you suddenly acting this way?" Sunggyu asked. "Because you're annoying and this engagement is burdensome." she was going to yell at him if she wasn't in front of the back door of her work place. 

"Forget it, why am I asking you." Sunggyu scoffed as he took out a newspaper article from his back pocket. "Stop working." Woori squinted her eyes as she read the headlines on the article.

"Fiancee of famous heir, working as a waitress at a cafe?!"

Woori let out a pathetic scoff. "What the is wrong with the media..." the girl was about to walk away when Sunggyu held her wrist. "Stop working. If you need money, I have it. I am your fiance after all." and with that, he took out a bundle of cash before he shoved it in her hands. Kim Sunggyu was not helping Nam Woori, Kim Sunggyu was saving his own damn reputation.

To his utmost surprise and shock, Woori threw the money back into his face. "I don't need your filthy money, so please, off. If you're afraid that your reputation might be ruined, then put that money to good use and shut the media up." Woori growled, feeling that she had enough of this endless bull that she didn't even signed up for.

Sunggyu clenched his fist as he fumed. "Nam Woori, what did you say?" he asked, subconsciously clenching his jaw in process. "I said, off. Do you not hear me?" she hissed. Sunggyu released his clenched fist as he felt his heart hurt a little. Was it only him that thought things were getting better between them?

"I thought, we were becoming friends. I thought that maybe, just maybe, your hatred towards me, ceased a little, not totally, but I thought it ceased, a little. Or was it just me?" Sunggyu paused to give a pathetic chuckle. "I guess it is just me then." he nodded before turning and walking away, stepping all over his money that Woori threw into his face a moment ago.

No matter how angry Woori felt at that point of time, Sunggyu's words were able to shoot straight through her heart.

And for the first time,

she regretted what she has done.

 


 

Uhhhhhhhhh HII GUYS. So it has been two weeks I guess? I used the free time during work to write 2/3 of this chapter, if not I wouldn't have time to complete this chapter at all! So as you can see, Sunggyu is making the change first, true, his heart was filled with vengeance, but the knee to the balls snapped his mind, the knee in the balls told him that he was going overboard and, he apologized. But after seeing Woori laugh and smile just because of his apology, made him feel good. So yes, the bad people in my story aren't 100% bad, they have a little good in them too.

Oh and I realized there was alot of Jae-Sung moments, as I was writing their moments, I pictured them as Joo Ah and Tae Ho from High School Love On, the fluff was just too cute. And tada! I made an OTP poster for them! :D omg i'm so proud of this artwork since it looks nice c: (well to me)

-Mi Eun