twenty-three

You're Cold, Milady

" The Real Him " —;


 

Sunggyu ran around gleefully in the playground as he waited for his father to come by, often he would glance at his mother who will then look at her watch before gazing into the distant sky, probably wondering why he hasn't arrived. "Umma, i'm hungry..." Sunggyu pouted as he ran to his mother and hopped on her lap. "Me too, but let's wait for appa okay? Let me call him first..." she said gently before dialling for his number.

"Oh! It's appa!" Sunggyu brightened up as he pointed behind, his mother's eyes trailing to where he was pointing and true enough, it was him. The man could be seen smiling as he got out of his newly purchased car and she was about to holler at him when she saw another woman coming out of the car. She crouched down and brought a hand over Sunggyu's eyes as she looked at the two in horror when they brought their lips together for a kiss.

"Is appa here to give me a surprise present? Is that why you're closing my eyes?" Sunggyu asked curiously. "N-no..." she started and she uncovered his eyes before bringing him a good distance away from the playground. "Sunggyu ya, your father asked to meet at home later at night because he's going to give you a surprise present, so you won't see him now. Let's just go ahead with lunch ourelves okay?" she brought out a smile before caressing his hair.

"Yes I can't wait!" he squealed excitedly but suddenly, he heard some kids yelling. "Oh? Umma what's that?" Sunggyu shifted his eyes and quickly followed the source of the screaming. Behind the slide, he quietly peered over and saw some middle school kids surrounding someone, kicking and yelling at that person as well. He quietly shifted his position and caught a glimpse of long hair. Those middle school boys are ganging up on a girl!

He immediately stepped up from his hiding place and yelled at them. "Ya! Pick on someone your own size!" The 4 boys turned over and smirked at him. "Oh look, another litte brat to loot from." one of them said. "Get away from the girl!" he screamed before charging at them suddenly and pushed them aside, but of course since he was younger than all of them, it was his turn to get pushed but just in the nick of time, his mother came.

"Hey you kids! Get away from my child or I will be calling the police." she said with a firm and strict voice and true enough, the kids scrammed away. "Sunggyu ya! You can't just run away like that! You could've gotten beaten up if I weren't here. Next time, call umma first okay?" she said worriedly. "Arasseo..." he pouted before he turned to the girl.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt?" Sunggyu asked as he reached out a hand to help the girl out. "I...I'm fine..." she said softly right before she winced in pain. "You're hurt!" he exclaimed, bringing her up with his own two hands. Sunggyu's mother crouched down as she examined the bruise on the girl's face and stomach. "Do you want me to bring you to the doctor? Or contact your parents?" she asked. "No no...I don't want to trouble my parents...they're busy..." she said.

"How old are you?" Sunggyu asked. "I'm 10..." the girl mumbled. "Oh my you're so young. Are you sure you don't want me to bring you to the doctor?" Sunggyu's mother asked again. "No no...i'm fine...thank you for chasing them away..." the girl bowed before she turned, slowly walking away. "Hey wait! What's your name?" Sunggyu hollered.

The girl turned around and flashed a small smile. "My name is Woori. Nam Woori."

 


 

It has been 2 weeks and Woori is finally back to school for her holiday examinations. She really disliked the thought of coming back to school because she had to face Sunggyu and right now, she doesn't want to see Sunggyu at all. She sighed when the emcee of the ceremony started to speak and of course, those last words mentioned his name.

"Now I would like the school's president, Kim Sunggyu to come up to stage to pass down his position to his junior and also to give his graduation speech." Woori inwardly groaned. She hated events like this and since Sunggyu was the main for this event, she hated it even more. "Why aren't you telling me about what's happening between you and Sunggyu? I haven't seen you speak to him ever since that day when he stopped visiting you! What's wrong?" Jaemi nudged her as she whispered.

"Jaemi, please. I don't want to talk about it." Woori pleaded as she snapped her eyes shut in frustration. "Woori are you okay?" the person beside her asked. Woori opened her eyes and flashed a small smile at him. "I'm fine Myungsoo. Don't worry about it." she said softly. In those short 2 weeks, Woori got to finally reconcile with Myungsoo when he burst into the ward bawling his eyes out the day when Sunggyu stopped visiting her. They didn't talk about the relationship. Myungsoo didn't want to start another misunderstanding and Woori didn't want to start another confusion in her heart, so the particular relationship they had in the past disappeared like it never happened.

Sunggyu could be seen taking off his president batch before passing it to the new school president, Lee Jongsuk. Jongsuk bowed politely before pinning the batch at his blazer's front pocket before bowing to the school and stepping down from the stage. Sunggyu went ahead to the mic and bowed to everyone. It was quiet, pin-drop silence when everybody waited for him to say something.

"Hello everybody, firstly I would like to thank the school for giving me this scarce opportunity to be the president, I hope that I wasn't a disappointment. Secondly, Woollim High was the most biggest milestone in my life. It was the phase which taught me and tamed me to be the person which I am today. I believe that results are not the only thing that makes up an elite student in this school, but character too. Woollim High has helped to enhance my character and with that, I am really grateful." Sunggyu bowed before he continued to speak.

"Through this school, I have met people who eventually changed my fate of a loner and people who pulled me down into a loser but through all the setbacks I had, giving up was not an option for me and I hope it will never be an option for any of you." Sunggyu looked up from the paper and forced out a smile before looking at Woori who was busy whispering to Myungsoo.

"Thank you."

 


 

Sunggyu crooked his neck, trying to shove his way through the crowd to get to Woori who was walking further and further away from him. He forced himself to stop visiting her and talking to her because of the guilt that struck him hard but it was too hard to hold back now. He needs to talk to her. "Excuse me please." he said politely as he tried to push the people in his way lightly. "Oh Sunggyu ya! Congrats on your graduation. Shall we take a picture together?" One of his teachers offered. "Sure Mr Goo, but i'll come back to you later, I'm kind of in an urgent situation right now." he bowed politely before looking for Woori.

Right when he finally manage to squeeze out of the crowd, Woori was no where to be seen. Walking back and forth, turning left to right, he was frantic to search for her, it felt as though he would die if he couldn't find her. "Sunggyu!" Sungyeol hollered. "Oh Sungyeol ah, have you seen Woori?" he immediately asked. "Woori? She was just here a second ago..." Jaemi scratched her head as she looked around. "Dude, what happened between you and Woori?" Sungyeol asked.

"I'll explain it to you later. I just need to find Woori." and with that, he walked away, continuing with his search.

 

"Can I have you for the whole week? And you know, we can hangout like last time, walks in the park with my camera, oh and we can even go to the amusement park if you want, we can go visit that dog cafe which you've always liked because you like dogs and yeah...I guess, generally hanging out with me for the whole week?" Myungsoo asked.

"C'mon, spit it out Myungsoo. What are you hiding?" Woori asked, crossing her arms. "Hiding? I'm not hiding anything." he denied as he stepped back. "Oh please, i've known you long enough to know that you're hiding something. Why specifically one week? Are you going somewhere?" she asked. Myungsoo mentally cursed at himself. Damn she was a sharp one. "Well actually, I got spon—" before he could finish, Sunggyu barged through the door, looking anxious and panicked.

"Oh...there you are. I have been looking everywhere for you." Sunggyu panted as he grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the classroom. "Don't touch me." Woori snapped as she jerked her arm away from his grip. "Do not...touch me." Woori warned once again. Sunggyu didn't really care about her warning as he gripped on her arm a little more harder this time and pulled her out of the classroom with so much force that she couldn't pull away.

Myungsoo stared rooted on the ground as Sunggyu once again, snatched her away from him and this time, he really doesn't have any rights to stop him. After all, he is just a friend.

After Sunggyu dragged her to another empty quiet classroom, he loosened the grip, giving Woori the opportunity to pull her arm away. "Why are you doing this to me. You can't suddenly get mad at me and ignore me and go back to Myungsoo." he yelled. "Well if you could go back to Seungyeon then why can't I go back to Myungsoo? I was actually going to be faithful in this fake contract relationship but since you had a little fun, shouldn't it be my turn now?" Woori said sarcastically.

"So this is what it's all about huh? Revenge? I doubt that anybody would do something like this if they were in this situation, that is unless they are jealous." Sunggyu scoffed. "Oh please! You're flattering yourself too much. Stop being so ing cocky and arrogant. You're no longer the school president so keep that chin down. Have you forgotten Kim Sunggyu? Do I look that of an easy person to you? Do you want me to knee you in the balls and hit you like a lunatic to prove you wrong?" Woori smirked as she glared at him.

"C'mon then. Give me all you got." he mocked. Woori brought her knee up fast but this time, Sunggyu was faster. He grabbed onto her knee and extended her leg around his pelvis. "What the are you doing." she cursed as she raised her hands to hit him but he skillfully pinned both her hands with his free hand to the wall.

Sunggyu leaned in so close until the tips of their nose were touching. "You can't do anything now, can you?" he whispered, letting out his minty breath that somehow made the latter weak. He stared at her in the eyes as he moved even closer, inching his lips to hers before the two lips finally meet. Sunggyu closed his eyes as he softly kissed her while Woori froze there in shock. She almost fell for it when she felt her eyelids fluttering to a close but after thinking how she must be a disgrace to herself to do this she pulled away and gave him a hard headbutt.

Sunggyu winced in pain as he took a step back, finally letting go of her hands and her leg. "I guess I look really easy to you. Well Kim Sunggyu, i'm not okay. How many times do I have to tell you that i'm not? Just stick with Seungyeon, is it that hard? Why do you have to keep confusing me?" she shrieked out of frustration.

And for the first time, she saw it.

She saw the tears that was welling up his eyes before they fell on his cheeks.

"Han Seungyeon abandoned me when my mother died." he began softly, his voice was shaking uncontrollably. "AND EVER SINCE MY MOM DIED MY DAD HAS BEEN TREATING ME AS IF I'M A PIECE OF . I WAS A MISTAKE TO HIM, I WAS A TOOL, HE DIDN'T LOVE ME. HE HATED ME sO MUCH TO THE POINT WHERE SOMETIMES I WAS AFRAID HE'LL SUDDENLY GO INSANE AND KILL ME IN MY SLEEP. EVERY NIGHT BEFORE I CLOSED MY EYES, I THINK ABOUT THAT. I WOULDN'T BE THIS SCREWED UP IF SEUNGYEON DIDN'T ABANDON ME. SHE WAS THE ONLY PERSON I RELIED ON. HOW CAN I GO BACK WITH HER NOW? AFTER ALL SHE HAS DONE?!" he yelled, so loud as though he was shouting for the whole school to hear.

All Woori could do was stare at him as she trembled hard. She trembled so hard that she felt as though she was going to embarrass herself. She didn't know where all this was coming from? Was it anger? Sympathy? Sadness? She had no idea, but what she does have an idea of, is her aching heart. "So please...stop questioning my intentions..." Sunggyu pleaded as more tears fell from his eyes.

Woori was the first one to move as she stepped forward and softly wiped off the tears from Sunggyu's face. "I'm sorry Sunggyu ah..." she mumbled. "I'm so so sorry. I didn't know." all she could ever think of saying was sorry because she knew Sunggyu wasn't the type of person to break down like that, and to actually make this cold cynical person break down, she must've done some serious .

"I'm sorry..."

 


 

Aigoo okay I added Myungsoo back in because I need him later on. It's part of my plot when I first plotted this story before the creation :D this story might or might not be coming to an end soon, it actually depends on how much i drag this story because if I fast forward this story, it'll probably end like 4 chapters later but I doubt so though. I hope you guys don't think that this pace is fast because I tried my best to drag as much as I can :/ Anyways I added the past for fun, just a little background information of both of them at the same time. Woori was bullied and stuff like what she stated in chp1 but I hope you guys will anticipate on the next chapter on honestly, I wish to have more meaningful comments for the story, like those long comments on what is your opinion on the chapter instead of a 'yay an update, please update more author-nim' it's not that i don't appreciate it, I do, I really do, but I just hope some of you would give constructive comments so that I can find some hope in my story to not be so boring and stuff, yeah. It's 3am now, I stayed up just to finish this chapter, yeah I should get going now, until the next chapter, bye.

-Mi Eun