twelve

You're Cold, Milady

" Selfish deeds " —;


 

Woori turned to look at her final opponent. Han Seungyeon. As usual, the friendlist people can be the deadliest. Woori turned and looked at the front seat, seeing Myungsoo and her brother giving her thumbs up. She looked at the very back and saw the two voting boxes which had the most votes among the other seven.

Standing beside her voting box was Sunggyu crossing his arms and staring seriously. "I can win this, I can win this." Woori chanted in her head. This was all she wanted, a time out from everybody whilst doing the things she loves most; dancing. It was basically her life plan. Seungyeon tapped on Woori's shoulder and smiled. "Congratulations." she said.

"Why are you congratulating me when the competition isn't over yet?" Woori scoffed before she went backstage. On the other hand, Sunggyu stood there in a big dilemma. The only way he can send Seungyeon away is if he announces her as champion, but at the same time he knew how much Woori wanted to win this thing. "Hyung! Sorry we're late." Hoya and Dongwoo panted as they ran inside. "It's the finale already?" Hoya crooked his neck to see the final participants.

"Hey it's Woori and...Seungyeon...?" Dongwoo scratched his head as if he read wrongly. "Han Seungyeon? That ?" Hoya cussed. "Howon mind your language. You're a celebrity and there are many people here." Sunggyu hissed. "I can see why you're in such a dilemma." Dongwoo pointed. "Oh yeah? I have no idea what Woori will do to me if I announce Seungyeon as champion even if Woori has the most votes. You guys would probably see me in the hospital." Sunggyu shook his head as he sighed.

"Kim Sunggyu? What are you doing here— oh right, your father is the competition's sponsorer." Wooin chuckled. "You better not bother me, Nam Wooin." Sunggyu warned without even looking. "By any chance, you're not going to announce a different champion if my sister gets the most votes right? Cause ya know, that's un—" Wooin's blabbering got interrupted by Sunggyu. "I do what I want. As you have stated, my father is the competition's sponsorer after all." he glared before he walked away.

"Hyung!" Myungsoo called Wooin over. "Oh yeah, why were you here so early by the way? You picked Woori up from the hospital?" Wooin asked. "Yep, but does your parents know about her hospitalisation?" he asked. "Nope, they're in Brazil for an open concert. Anyways, what did you wanted to say?" Wooin sat next to the younger boy. "I finally won Woori's heart!" Myungsoo cheered. Wooin had a sudden pang in his heart when he heard this, a bad one.

"Congratulations! Finally!" Wooin smiled as he ruffled the latter's hair, but when he looked away, he frowned. Wooin has waited for this moment like forever, he was always rooting for Myungsoo to win his little sister's heart, but now, he wished that he didn't have hurt Myungsoo...

 

"Umma? Appa?" Wooin echoed as he entered his parents' room. He walked towards the table and saw a note on it. "Umma and Appa are going to Brazil for Mnet's open concert, we will be back in 5 days, take care of your sister." Wooin sighed as his parents, once again, left without telling them in advance. He spot the edge of a paper sticking out of his father's drawer at the corner of his eye.

He knew it was probably nothing, but he got curious, y'know. He walked over to the drawer and took the piece of paper out. After 5 seconds of reading it and re-reading it, he choked on his own saliva. "W-WHAT?!" he shrieked. Wooin re-read the first paragraph of the documents many times to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. His hands started trembling. "A-arranged...m-marriage...between the Nam and the Kim household...my d-daughter...Nam Woori..." he paused because he felt like he was suffocating. "Y-your s-son...Kim...S-sunggyu..."

 


 

"Should I get Woori a drink too?" the guy debated with himself on whether to take that can of orange juice. "Maybe not...I don't know her well enough to buy her a drink." he retreated his hand before heading towards the counter, but he stopped and turned again. "Ah treating her a drink won't kill." He sighed before taking the can of orange juice off the rack.

He walked out of the convenience store and sat down whilst eating some snacks when all of a sudden, a little girl ran towards him and sat beside him. "Well hello there." he smiled. The little girl looked kind of anxious and worried, she looked as if she wanted to cry. "Hey are you okay? Are you lost?" he asked again. Suddenly, his phone rang, he picked it up and heard Sunggyu yell at the other side. "Ya! Lee Sungyeol! Where is my coffee? I'm in alot of stress here!" Sunggyu shouted.

"Geez whatever. There's a lost little girl here, i'll talk to you later." Just when Sungyeol hung up, the little girl beside him burst into tears. "Hey hey! It's alright!" he hugged the little girl, hoping that would bring her more comfort. "Umma! Where is my umma!" she screamed and cried. "I'll help you find your umma! In the mean time, don't cry arasseo? If you stop crying, oppa will buy you some ice cream." Sungyeol smiled as he stood up.

The little girl paused her crying for a little while as she looked up, debating on whether to trust him or not. "C'mon! Let's go find your umma." Sungyeol urged but the little girl just sat there, looking at him with those huge eyes of hers. "Ahh, you want your ice cream eh? Okay okay." Sungyeol smiled before he quickly purchased an ice cream from the convenience store.

Walking hand in hand, Sungyeol squinted his eyes from the scorching hot sun. "What's your name?" he asked as he squatted to the little girl's height. "I'm not a bad guy, I even bought you ice cream." Sungyeol pointed. "Seyeon..." the little girl said as she ate her ice cream. "Ahh, Seyeonnie? Such a pretty name. My name is Sungyeol, nice to meet you." he smiled, making Seyeon smile too. "Oh! The police station is just there. Hang on Seyeon ah, we will find your umma okay?" Sungyeol said.

But before they could even take another step, a yell was heard. "Seyeon ah!" the woman ran towards the little girl and picked her up in her arms, relieved that she has found her daughter. Sungyeol scanned the woman's—no...girl's face, she seemed so young. "Umma this Sungyeol ahjussi bought me ice cream and said that he will find you." Seyeon pointed. "Eyy, it's 'oppa', not 'ahjussi' okay? And a don't worry...Madam?" Sungyeol found it so strange calling such a young looking person madam. "The ice cream doesn't contain any poison or whatsoever, and your daughter is safe." he continued.

"Thank you so much Sungyeol ssi." the girl smiled. "Eh? How did you know my name?" Sungyeol scratched his head. "Uh, my daughter just mentioned it." she laughed. "Oh right, haha. Do take good care of your daughter." he smiled. "Miss Jaemi! Did you find Seyeon!" a man yelled from far away. "Yes!" Jaemi yelled back. "Thank you once again." she bowed before walking towards the man.

"Miss Jaemi? So she's a miss? Was she married though? Or is she a teenage mum?" Sungyeol curiously mumbled questions towards himself before he walked back to the competition venue.

As Jaemi walked back to the car, she felt a pang in a heart as she turned to look at Sungyeol's back. What if he tells his friends? What if his friends know her? But wait, he didn't even know her name, right? She sighed as she looked at her daughter cutely eating the ice cream. Seyeon was a mistake, but she was the best thing that ever happened to her.

 


 

Sungyeol entered the theatre and heard the audience clap. "Ah, I just missed the finale, didn't I?" he said as he sipped on his drink, walking towards the backstage at the same time. He saw the two voting boxes being delivered to Mr Kim's office. "Sunggyu, your coffee." Sungyeol hollered as he saw Sunggyu enter his father's room.

Sunggyu ignored him and went into the room hastily. "He asked me to buy coffee and then he ignores me, what an ." he scoffed before turning on his heels, proceeding to the waiting room. "Woori, how are you feeling?" Sungyeol asked. "N-nervous..." Woori stuttered. "Relax and have some orange juice." he said and took out a bottle.

"Hey I'm here for a reason, just drink it yourself." Myungsoo mumbled. "Kim Myungsoo you need to learn to grow up and stop being a jealous , now pass her the orange juice which I walked so far to buy." Sungyeol glared. Myungsoo decided not to retaliate and passed the bottle to Woori. After all, he was being a little childish.

"Thanks Sungyeol..." Woori mumbled quickly but before she could even take a sip of the orange juice, Dongwoo came into the waiting room. "Seungyeon, Woori, go on stage, they're announcing the champion." Dongwoo informed.

 

"After 2 hours of competing each other, amongst the seven, only one can emerge as champion and sign a contract for a dancing career in American." Sunggyu said in the mic as he looked at his script card. "The champion will have opportunities to meet other famous dance groups for example, The Jabbawockeez." and with that, the audience clapped. At this moment, Woori really wanted to win, another reason being because she idolizes the jabbawockeez even though they're a male hip hop dance group.

"I would like to thank the audience for voting and supporting the seven dancers, as all of you know, the dancers in the finale are Han Seungyeon, and Nam Woori." Sunggyu said before putting down his script card, already knowing what to say next.

"The champion for the D4LG dance competition is..." the silence of anticipation made Woori's heart beat like crazy.

"Han Seungyeon!" Sunggyu said before the audience gave a loud round of applause. Woori felt as though she got shot through the heart, she was so sure that she would win this. She could see the worried expression of her brother and her boyfriend in the front row but nevertheless, she had to maintain a good image for herself. "Congratulations, Seungyeon ssi." Woori shook her hand before immediately walking towards the backstage.

Seungyeon stood there in the midst of applause in confusion. Woori was a much better dancer than she was, and she took a sneak peek of the voting boxes...Woori's box had way more votes than her's but how could this be? "Congratulations, Han Seungyeon, you will receive a plane ticket to America and the address of the company tomorrow and I will call the company to inform them about your arrival." Sunggyu said with a flat tone before walking off.

"I got it now..." Seungyeon mumbled, finally understanding how she actually won this competition, and it was all because of Sunggyu's selfish deeds. He wanted to send her away.

Woori splashed some water in her face, she is so upset. Of course, who wouldn't be? She prepared so hard for it. "B-but...there will always be a next time right?" she tried to comfort herself but she sounded as if she was going to cry. "Stop being so weak, Nam Woori. A stupid competition won't stop you from doing what you want, just work harder." she scolded herself.

She walked out of the bathroom before heading towards the waiting room, wanting to grab her belongings and leave, but all of a sudden, she heard Sunggyu's voice in one of the rooms she was passing by.

"I had no  choice!"

"What do you mean you had no choice?!" Woori furrowed her eyebrows as she heard Hoya's voice, followed by Dongwoo's. "KIm Sunggyu, I never imagined you actually caused misery to someone else just because of your selfish deeds! You know how much Woori wanted to win this, even we know it! And what? You announced Seungyeon as champion just because you wanted to send her away? Sunggyu, we are disappointed in you."

Woori froze because firstly, she never heard Dongwoo speak like that...

and secondly...she was supposed to be the champion?

 


 

OMG WHAT :0 How can Sunggyu do that? Expect violence in the next chapter and sorry for not updating! I had end of year examinations and tomorrow is my last paper! I wrote this chapter for about a few days when I was free because I also had a little writers' block at the same time. Please comment though! Comments are my crack...no seriously.

-Mi Eun