twenty-one

You're Cold, Milady

" Let me be your protector " —;


 

Right in the midst of all this laughter, someone barged into the ward anxiously. "Woori! Are you alright?" Wooin asked, cupping his little sister's face to see if she got scarred or something. "I'm fine oppa..." Woori said, pushing his hand away jokingly. "Then why are you in the hospital? I thought you had a fight with someone...and what is with this expensive looking ward?" Wooin asked as he looked around and finally noticed Sunggyu's presence.

"You. Why are you here?" he asked, deeply glaring at Sunggyu. "Well, I'm her fiance aren't I—" Sunggyu said but got interrupted. "Cut the bull, tell me why you're really here. What are your intentions now Sunggyu? Did you pay for this VIP ward as well? Cause I can tell you that we do not need your filthy money. Our parents are celebrities, we're rich enough." Wooin said, not believing that Sunggyu visited Woori just cause he is her 'fiance'. This man is evil to begin with.

"Look, Wooin, I don't have a hidden agenda, I came here because of my status and reputation, I came here because i'm her fiance. Why can't I do that? You're being too over-protective here Nam Wooin." Sunggyu said calmly. "I will never believe you Kim Sunggyu. All hell broke loose when Woori got engaged to you. You messed with Myungsoo and you basically broke my little sister's heart, you ruined our already ruined lives so I will NEVER accept you. Now get out, i'm going to inform the nurse to transfer Woori to another ward later." Wooin said, his knuckles clencing in fury.

"Oppa, you're being too much, Sunggyu is—" Wooin flinged his arm away when Woori held it. "Oh so now you're siding Kim Sunggyu? Woori, do you remember what he has done to us? Wait no, do you remember what he has done to YOU? He destroyed you. He destroyed the beautiful relationship between you and Myungsoo. He destroyed everything and now you're siding that bastard? Get ahold of yourself Nam Woori, you can't be stupid right now!"

Thinking that he has heard enough, Sunggyu turned disappointingly and opened the door of the ward, wanting to leave. "No Sunggyu, don't leave." his ears perked up when he heard Woori said that, but then her brother's voice overlapped hers. "GET THE OUT." Sunggyu nodded and left the ward.

He leaned against the door miserably, wondering why did it feel so terrible to hear Wooin describe about Woori and Myungsoo's beautiful relationship. Did he really destroyed that beautiful relationship which would've turned out well when all he needed to do was not hurt Myungsoo? Why was he such a bastard?

"I regret..." his voice came out, soft like a whisper.

 


 

"You should've just stayed in the ward when I asked you to!" Jaemi nagged as she sighed once again. "You know what Jaemi? I have a feeling that Sunggyu is going to be real good to Woori." Sungyeol said and took one of Woori's heavy bags from Jaemi's hand. "I don't trust him." Jaemi shook her head. After all she has heard, she will never trust Kim Sunggyu again.

It was almost the same as trusting the devil.

"To be honest, Sunggyu wasn't a bad guy to begin with. He had a very dark past, many people left him and changed him into a bastard he is today. 3 years ago, he'd do anything for the people he loves, and for his friends, he'd treat them to meals everytime knowing that they have financial difficulties, he'd risk his life just for that one girl that left him when he needed her most." Sungyeol sighed and that made Jaemi stop.

"Sunggyu had a lover in the past?" Jaemi raised an eyebrow curiously. "Well, not really a lover, but he does love her, I don't know if she did feel the same, but she just left. It was cruel." he continued. Jaemi didn't want to ask anymore since she knew that it would be uncomfortable for Sungyeol to talk about his bestfriend's miserable past that Jaemi had totally no idea of. "So you think that because of Woori, Sunggyu is going to change back into a nice person?" Jaemi hoped.

"Well, who knows?" he shrugged. "Wait, where is Seyeon? Shouldn't she be back from getting her ice cream?" Sungyeol asked. Jaemi widened her eyes as she immediately turned around.  . Oh what an irresponsible mother she is. The two ran towards the ice cream shop they left Seyeon at earlier and frantically searched for her.

"Um hello again. Have you seen the little girl that was with me just now?" Jaemi asked the cashier. "Well, it seems that she left through the backdoor with another man." the man said. "M-man?!" Jaemi stuttered in disbelief before she barged through the back door in panic. "Jung Seyeon! Where are you?!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. "There she is!" Sungyeol pointed at the far bench beside a pond. The 2 immediately ran over to retrieve the child.

"Who are you?" Sungyeol asked, eyeing the man who presumeably took Seyeon out, suspiciously. That was when Jaemi realized the man, and that was also when Jaemi realized who the he is. "You..." she stammered before pulling Seyeon away from him and hid her behind her back. "Yoon Jaemi." the man stood up. "Don't come any closer you motherer. Stay away." Jaemi cursed as she backed away, keeping Seyeon behind her. "Jaemi, you know this guy?" Sungyeol asked.

"Yoon Jaemi...is she...our daughter?" the man asked, making Sungyeol widen his eyes. And with that, Jaemi slapped him. "Seyeon was never our daughter. She is my, daughter. Not yours." she corrected him. "Jaemi i'm sorry okay. Can you please let me have a look at my daughter?" he begged.

"Jung Daehyun, how can you actually say that?" Jaemi paused to cover Seyeon's ears. "How can you actually say that she's your daughter when you practically ran away after you knew I was pregnant? Do you even have the rights to call yourself a father? Or call her your daughter? And you think only a sorry will solve everything?" Jaemi couldn't finish because the next thing she knew, Sungyeol landed a punch on Daehyun's face.

"What a heartless bastard." Sungyeol scoffed as he punched him again. Jaemi turned Seyeon's face away and cupped hers. "Seyeon ah, if you ever see that man again, never talk to him, understood? If not umma would be really mad at you okay?" Jaemi said and earned a small nod from her daughter. Jaemi glanced behind and saw that Daehyun returned a punch. "Stop it. Sungyeol, stop it. He isn't worth hitting. He isn't worth anything. Let's go." and with that, she held his hand and pulled him away.

"Why did you punch him? Now look at you." Jaemi sighed as she touched his bruised lips which had a little blood on it. "You didn't ask me to stop anyways, that bas—dude was asking for it." Sungyeol cleared his throat as he remembered that a 3 year old kid is here so it's best to restrain his vulgarities. "Don't let people hurt your face, because it hurts my heart." Jaemi said softly.

"What did you say?" Sungyeol asked, not believing what he just heard. "Nothing. Let's get you treated at the hospital eo?" she smiled. Sungyeol scratched his head as he frowned. He was sure he heard her say something like 'it hurts my heart'. It was strange indeed.

 


 

Woori looked up when she heard the door open, the frustrating expression was evident on her face because once again, her dance monitering session has been interrupted. "Who is it now?" she snapped rudely. The latter appeared with a bunch of textbooks in his hands and worst of all, he was in his school uniform. Woori never thought Sunggyu would visit her again, especially not in his school uniform and especially not right after school. This was scaring her.

"Why are you here?" Woori raised an eyebrow. "Don't tell me you came here once school ended that is ridiculous—" Sunggyu cut her off as he put his bag down onto the floor. "I did. Is there any problem with that?" he asked, unpacking his school bag at the same time. "No...no problem at all." Woori shook her head. This is one of those times again when Sunggyu was so specially 'kind' it was as if he got knocked in the head. "You don't like seeing me in uniform?" he asked again.

"Eh? No—,wait I mean yes—,wait no, I hate seeing you in uniform." Woori stammered as she looked away; completely flustered for she doesn't know what reason. "And why is that?" Sunggyu has already stopped unpacking and he was looking at Woori intensely, waiting patiently for her answer. "Because, wearing your school uniform tells me that you're the selfish and obnoxious school president. Which you are not now considering the fact that you came here as soon as school ended." she replied, not looking back at Sunggyu again.

"Oh, so you want me to be an obnoxious and selfish bastard again?" Sunggyu smirked teasingly. "Yes—wait no—wait, aish I don't know! Whatever!" Woori said, crossing her arms and subconsciously pouting at the same time which made the latter chuckle softly. He placed a few books on the table beside Woori's laptop and Woori took a look at them and looked at him.

"Why are you studying here? Especially with Year 2 textbooks?" she asked stupidly. "Oh gosh Woori, sometimes I think you're really dumb. These are not for me, but they're for you. You're going to miss the last few important lessons of school and I figured that I should help you and not let you fail so miserably for your holiday exam. I'm the school president, also known as one of the smartest students in the school and you're my fiancee and you're stupid. How would that look on me?" he said cockily, earning a smack on the head from the girl.

"Shut up and keep that arrogant attitude down. If you're going to tutor me, do it properly instead of discouraging me like that." Woori snapped angrily. "Right, sorry." he apologized, surprising Woori because the last time she knew, Sunggyu wasn't a person who would apologize easily. "Now, which is your worst subject?" he asked, scratching his head cutely. "I failed everything though." Woori mumbled which almost made Sunggyu slam his face on the table.

"WHAT?!"

 

After 3 hours, Woori sighed as she pushed the textbook away. If she were to study any longer, her brain will explode into many tiny pieces that would eventually be the bacteria's source of food. "Ya, why did you stop?" Sunggyu asked. "Sorry Sunggyu, I can't do this anymore. I'm just not made to study. During the 3 hours period, Woori did not listen to a single word Sunggyu was saying, but she was concentrating on one thing.

And that was his lips that were moving each time he spoke. They were so mesmerizing. the textbooks, his lips were way more attractive. Wait—WHAT?!

"Snap out of it!" Woori yelled at herself which made Sunggyu jump in surprise at her sudden yelling. "Ya! I asked you why did you stop, why are you yelling at me?" he asked, completely baffled. "Oh! Oh...sorry, where was I. Yeah, I was saying...i'm not made to study." she whined but before she could say anything else, Sunggyu slammed the textbook shut. "Nonsense. What a bull thing to say. I'm disappointed that you could say such a thing Nam Woori. I'm not engaged to a nobody, I'm engaged to the daughter of legendary singers whose brother is smart to academically challenge me every single time. When you've not given your best, don't say you can't do it. Study those textbooks, as you can see, all my notes are in it and i'm going to test you tomorrow. Don't disappoint me again Woori." and with that, he packed up and left the ward.

Woori was left speechless.

What was going on? Why exactly is her heart beating so fast to those words which felt so bad? "Disappointment. Was it really that bad?" she said softly as she stared at those textbooks. Woori was a disappointment to someone, not just anyone, but Kim Sunggyu. She didn't feel this bad when she was a disappointment to her parents and her brother, so why did she have this ish feeling now?

 


 

Jaemi and Sungyeol were walking around as they waited for the next visiting period to open so they could go visit Woori. They heard how her older brother transferred her to another ward and also 'kicked' Sunggyu out of the ward. Oh how embarrassing must that be, getting kicked out of the ward he payed for. "Eh? Sunggyu?" Sungyeol pointed at the school president figure who was walking across the road from the hospital, having his bag tucked close to him.

"I think he visited Woori again." Sungyeol smiled. "Eh? What?! In his school uniform? Unbelievable..." Jaemi mumbled as she stared at the guy who she was so doubtful with, now she was starting to have second thoughts on whether this Kim Sunggyu was pure evil. The 2 warded Sunggyu off from their minds as they went to find something to drink, probably something hot since it was cold right now. "Hey what do you want? Coffee?" Jaemi asked as she spotted a vending machine nearby.

"Yeah, hold on a sec." Sungyeol paused to take out his wallet. "Nah it's okay. My treat. It's just a coffee anyways." Jaemi smiled as she walked towards the vending machine. "Ya, I can't let a girl pay—" Jaemi already walked off before he could finish his sentence. Blowing her palms to generate heat, she shivered. "Ah, I guess the first snow of the year is going to come soon." she mumbled to herself.

"Yes it probably will." a voice came from behind and she immediately instinct. "Jung Daehyun..." her breath hitched as she saw him cuddling with another girl, they were smooching right in front OF HER DAMN FACE. Jaemi's expression immediately darkened while Daehyun smirked amusingly, finding this way too fun. "Are you enjoying this? Jung Daehyun?" she scoffed pathetically. "Jagiya, who is she?" the girl asked in a high pitched cutesy voice that made Jaemi almost barf.

"She's the girl that I told you about. The and forget? Yeah, I guess that was it." he nodded while pretending to think. "Aww don't get too upset sweetie. You might be a ' and forget', but you did enjoy the right?" the girl laughed but screamed afterwards because the next thing she knew, Jaemi pulled her hair hard before throwing her onto the floor and kicking her repeatedly.

"Jaemi! Jaemi, stop." Sungyeol yelled as he held the girl back. "What the hell, Jung Daehyun what the are you doing here?" Sungyeol said as he glared at the man. "Let's just say, I came to get my revenge." and with that, the latter punched Sungyeol in the face and as the two guys fought, the two other girls pulled each others' hair as if there was no tomorrow.

 

The 4 ended up at the police station, looking blanked out as the officers ask them general questions which they didn't want to answer. They were too pissed off to answer. If they had to say anything, it will most probably be ' you' to the other party. "Ya, I am asking you a question." the officer slammed his hands on the table, finally having enough of getting ignored.

Right then, two adults came running into the police station. "Lee Sungyeol!" the 3 turned to look at who it was while Sungyeol just sighed as he stood up. "Ask them the questions, not me." Sungyeol said. The officer blinked in shock as he stood up. "Prosecuter Lee! Prosecuter Song! Why..." the officer stammered, seeing the 2 most popular prosecuters right in front of him was an unbelievable sight. "Sungyeol is our son and I believe he hasn't done anything wrong but to defend himself and the girl. If you have any objections you can bring this case to the court. I'm taking them out." Mrs Lee(Prosecuter Song) said.

"Oh oh! Sure, not a problem!" the officer said while Daehyun's jaw drop. "Holy ...did I just punch the son of the two nation's prosecuters?!" Daehyun mumbled regretfully to himself. Jaemi stared at Sungyeol and then back at the officer, not knowing what to say or do now. "Yoon Jaemi ssi?" Mr Lee spoke. "Ye-ye?" Jaemi said, surprised. "We're taking you too remember?" Mrs Lee smiled. "C'mon." Jaemi looked back at the officer who signalled her to go quietly. "Oh...arasseo..." Jaemi muttered as she bowed respectfully to the officer before leaving with Sungyeol and his parents.

There was a big black classic mercedes car that was waiting for them outside the police station and Jaemi stopped, embarrassed. "Thank you Mr and Mrs Lee for getting me out of this mess, but I think I can head home myself from her." Jaemi gave them a 90 degree bow before turning. "No Jaemi, don't leave." Sungyeol said. Who can say no to such a pleading voice. Jaemi turned back at Sungyeol and saw that his eyes had a glint of sadness in them. "Alright...i'll come along." she said softly as she walked back to Sungyeol.

Mrs Lee smiled as she patted Jaemi on the shoulder. "Don't feel embarrassed and just get in." she said gently. Jaemi smiled back and nodded before getting into the backseat beside Sungyeol.

The drive was quiet as Jaemi looked out of the window and when she did, Sungyeol looked at her, remembering what happened an hour ago, how she was looking so heart broken when that son of a called her a ' and forget'. It was too much and if Sungyeol were in her shoes, he couldn't have handled it well too. But he wanted to protect Jaemi, well not only protect her, but her heart as well. Her heart seemed so fragile.

"Mr and Mrs Lee, you can let me off here, my house is just right at the opposite. Thank you for being so generous to offer this ride home, I will forever be grateful to you in my heart." Jaemi thanked the two adults as she got out of the car and even when she did, the car did not move. "Sungyeol we're waiting for you to get out of the car." Mrs Lee said. "Huh what?" Sungyeol asked, caught in surprise. "Go chase after her you idiot." Mr Lee rolled his eyes.

Sungyeol looked at his dad in pure gratitude before he got off the car and ran after Jaemi. "Jaemi, wait." he mumbled as he grabbed her arm to prevent her from going any further. "Sungyeol, I feel burdened and tired, please, just let me go home and rest." Jaemi begged. There was sadness in her tone, and it was way too obvious.

"Jaemi, i've got something to tell you." Sungyeol began and waited for Jaemi to look at him before he continued. "Let me protect you. I promise I won't ever hurt you, just please, let me protect you, let me be your knight in shining armor." he said. "Eh??" Jaemi raised an eyebrow, staring at him weirdly, totally not getting what he is talking about.

"Yoon Jaemi I love you. I've had my eyes on you the first time we met and I don't care whether you have an ugly past or not, I don't care if you have a child because I would love to treat Seyeon as my own. I don't care about all your flaws because perfection is the only thing I see in you. I may look like a crazy bastard now since we've only known each other for 3 to 4 months but I am madly in love with you. Yoon Jaemi." Sungyeol felt that a huge burden has been lifted off his shoulders when he confessed.

"I've been waiting for this confession for so long!" Jaemi smiled gleefully. Yoomi held his arm, stopping him. "Why are you being so protective? By any chance, do you like her or something?" she asked. Jaemi stopped right at the door when she heard that, she couldn't believe that she was anticipating on his answer. "Yes. Yes I do. So you better watch your mouth and your actions, because I swear to God, if you hurt her one more time, i'm not going to let you off that easily. Wait, no, i'm going to do everything to destroy you. Do you understand that, Jung Yoomi?"

"Wait what?" Sungyeol asked, confused. Jaemi couldn't believe that her bad day has turned into such a great day. As always, Sungyeol will always be there to brighten her day whenever she was feeling down. "I love you too." and with that, she wrapped her arms around his neck and tip-toed before pressing her lips sweetly on his, taking his breath away.

 


 

Sorry for the late update. School has started and yes i'm still sleep deprived, so updates will come alot slower now. And do check out my fantasy story(featuring Kim Myungsoo X OC) if you have interests in spirits and angels. And no, my new story isn't a horror story, it's more to the positive romcom fantasy side so...click below to check out my story!

SOULMATE

I stayed up till 1 to actually finish this chapter when I was supposed to finish this chapter tomorrow so, i'm gonna sleep now, goodnights!

-Mi Eun