Arcade Date

Unexpected Angel

“Um… I’m not,” she said.

Woohyun froze from her answer. He could feel his heart breaking into a million pieces. They stayed there on the unmoving bicycle, Woohyun too shocked to keep pedaling.

“W-Woohyun…” Hani looked at him worriedly. She felt her heart clench when she saw his expression. “Woohyun… are you okay?”

Woohyun finally came back to reality and forced out a smile. “Y-Yeah… I’m fine.” He then started pedaling again. “Wow, the breeze is so nice today,” he said, trying to change the topic.

Hani tried to look at his face. For some reason, she felt guilty when she answered him. She was only telling the truth after all, so why does she feel like she did something wrong and maybe even… lied? *I only answered the truth. I definitely don’t like him in that way,* she thought to reassure herself. All of a sudden, her phone vibrated signaling a text message. She then took it out and unlocked it before reading the text.

 “You’re lying.”

Her eyes widened in shock as soon as she read it. *W-What does it mean by ‘I’m lying’?* she asked herself. She looked at the message in confusion before trying to see who sent it to her. She was shocked yet again when she couldn’t find any information on the person who sent it to her. It didn’t even have a name or a phone number. *Who in the world sent me this?* she thought. She was a little frightened now since she had no idea who would send it to her and why it said that she was lying.

“Hani, um…” Woohyun started to say. She then quickly put the phone back into her pocket before looking up at him. “I just want to tell you that even though you don’t like me as your boyfriend, I’ll make you like me.”

She was surprised by what he said. “But Woohyun-“

“I promise that I’ll be the best boyfriend ever,” he continued.

She didn’t know what to say, and stayed quiet.


 

“Woohyun, where are we going?” Hani asked. She couldn’t see anything since Woohyun held his hands over her eyes.

“Just somewhere,” he replied while leading her to a place. “You’re not peeking, are you?”

Hani shook her head. “I can’t see a thing,” she answered.

“That’s good then,” he said. After walking for a few minutes, Woohyun finally came to the place that he wanted to go to. “Alright, here we are!”

Hani furrowed her eyebrows. She still couldn’t see anything since Woohyun still had his hands over her eyes. “Woohyun, I still can’t see,” she said.

Woohyun noticed that he was still covering her eyes and immediately took them off. “Oh, sorry,” he said sheepishly. “But what do you think? Do you like it?”

Hani looked at the place and saw that it was an arcade, a bigger arcade than the last one that they went to. “Woah, this arcade is so big,” she said with agape.

Woohyun smiled at her reaction. “Yup, and we’re having our date in here.” He then took her hand and led her into the arcade. “Which game do you want to play first?”

Hani looked around and set her eyes on a racing game. “That one,” she said as she pointed at it excitedly.

They then went over to the game and sat in two different racing chairs. Woohyun put in coins for the both of them before flashing her a confident smile. “I’m going to win,” he said.

“Psh, in your dreams,” she said back.

The game then started and was counting down as the competiveness between them flared up. “3… 2… 1… Go!”

They both stomped on the pedals, their cars racing next to each other. After the game started, Woohyun had already forgotten everything about him saying that he would be the best boyfriend ever.

“Hey, you’re cheating!” Hani yelled while trying to get away from Woohyun’s car. His car was trying to slam into hers so that she would get pushed over to the side, which would make it harder for her to regain her lead. But unfortunately for him, Hani was able to escape it and his own car ended up ramming into the side instead.

“Yah, come back here!” he yelled at Hani’s car that was now in the lead.

Hani looked over at him and stuck her tongue out. “That’s what you get for being a cheater.”

“Aish, I’m in last place now,” Woohyun mumbled grumpily as his car got back onto the road. While steering and driving the race car, an idea came into his head. He then glanced over at Hani and saw that she was fully concentrated on driving her car. Woohyun saw the chance, and in the most subtle way as possible, grabbed her steering wheel and held it firmly in place.

Hani looked at her car in surprise when it slammed into the side rails from not turning at the right moment. She then tried to steer again, but her steering wheel wasn’t moving at all. “Wait, what is- Yah!” She looked over at Woohyun after noticing that he was holding onto her steering wheel and saw him sticking his tongue out at her.

“Mehrong~” he said as his car drove pass hers.

Hani frowned and tried to pull Woohyun’s hand off of her steering wheel, but whenever his hand came off of it, it just came back on and held it at another place. “Yah, Nam Woohyun, let go!”

“No can do, I’m in the lead right now,” he said while steering his own car.

Hani huffed out of frustration. “You’re such a cheater,” she said.

“But I’m winning, aren’t I?” He stuck his tongue out at her again and smiled teasingly.

Hani huffed out of frustration. “Well two can play at that…” she muttered.

All of a sudden, Woohyun’s arm started to slowly rise above him. This made him look at it with wide eyes, not knowing what’s happening. “W-why are my arms like this?!” he asked as his arms were raised straight above him with his hands dangling in the air.

Hani stuck her tongue out at him before smiling victoriously. “Don’t you remember that I have telekinesis?” she said. “This is what happens when you cheat.”

In no time, her race car already passed Woohyun’s race car that was sitting motionless on the side from not having anyone driving it. Woohyun tried stepping on the pedal, but it was no use when all the car could do was to go straight forward where there is a rail blocking its way. “Hey, you’re cheating!” he yelled.

“Well, you cheated first,” Hani stated before crossing the finish line. “And now you lost.” She smiled in victory and stuck her tongue out at him again.

“Aish…” Woohyun said, not feeling happy at all since he lost. He then looked up at his arm that was raised above him, and could feel himself blushing from embarrassment. “Yah, Oh Hani, can’t you bring my arms down yet? I already lost.”

Hani shook her head. “Nope, you need to be punished for being a cheater,” she replied.

Woohyun warily looked around and saw people staring at him. “But aren’t I punished enough?” he asked. “Everyone is looking at me since my arms are raised in the air like a weirdo!”

Hani shook her head again. “Sorry, but you should have thought about this before you held onto my steering wheel.”

Woohyun looked around him again before looking back at her with pleading eyes. “Come on, please…” He kept trying to convince her, but her only response was no and lots of head shaking. She then stood up and pointed at the hockey table.

“Let’s go over there next.”

Woohyun widened his eyes. “Are you crazy?! You want me to walk over there when my arms are still like this?”

Hani only smiled and smiled in a teasing way. “Yup, that exactly what I want.” She then turned around and started walking towards the hockey table.

“Yah, Oh Hani! Come back and fix this!” he shouted. Hani didn’t answer, much to his frustration, and that left him with the options of staying where he was and most likely make her not want to fix his problem or going over to her where it’s more likely that she would.

“Aish, she’s trying me crazy!” he said to himself. He then looked around and saw that even more people were staring at him now since he was standing up with his hands still in the air. He kept looking back and forth between Hani and the people that were watching his every move like he was somebody they should be wary of.

“Aish…” he said again before ducking his head and walking quickly over to Hani, his arms still awkwardly raised above him. “Yah, Oh Hani!”

Hani looked up at him with a bright smile. “Oh, so you finally came,” she said.

“Just put my arms down already. I’m dying of embarrassment right now!”

Hani pouted. “Aww, but I want to play this game right now…”

Woohyun sighed for the millionth time. “Please, just put my arms back down~” he whined while stomping his feet like a little child. “People are looking at me like I’m crazy.”

Hani looked at him and saw him pouting while showing his puppy eyes. “Please~” he said again.

“Hm… let me think about that…” She lightly tapped her chin and tried to look like she was contemplating over whether or not she should do it. Woohyun started whining again, and tried different methods to convince her to let his arms be back to his sides where they usually were.

“Um… sir.” A worker at the arcade came up to him. “Are you okay? Somebody had reported that you were raising your hands…” The worker looked at Woohyun raising both of his hands up with a confused expression. “…and not putting them down even after 15 minutes,” he said.

“Uh… um…” Woohyun quickly tried to think of something. “Um… I’m just stretching!” He laughed nervously. “Yeah, just… stretching.”

The worker nodded, but he still had the look that seemed convinced that Woohyun was crazy. “Alright sir, I’m sorry to question your… stretching,” he said before giving a small bow and walking away.

Woohyun watched the worker walk away while letting out a relieved sigh. “That guy is finally gone,” he muttered. He then turned towards Hani and glared at her. “You made me look like a madman in front of a bunch of people!”

Hani shrugged. “I guess I did,” she replied. She then entered some money into the hockey game before taking the puck out of the compartment and placing it onto the table. “Let’s play!” she said excitedly.

Woohyun narrowed his eyes at her. “How am I going to play when I have both of my arms up like this?”

Hani looked at him and remembered that he had a point. “Oh, sorry. I forgot about that for a moment.”

Woohyun sighed. “Just put my arms back down,” he cried, desperately. “I think that I’m starting to lose blood circulation in them.”

Hani crossed her arms. “Then promise me that you won’t cheat again,” she said.

Woohyun nodded and agreed without hesitation. “Yes, I promise.”

He waited for a moment, and finally he could feel his arms falling back to his sides. He then looked at them, and started moving them up and down excitedly. “Yes, I have control over them again!”

Hani held back a laugh at what she saw. “Woohyun, you look like a penguin right now,” she said.

Woohyun stopped flapping his arms and narrowed his eyes at her. “I’m doing this because somebody made me lose feeling in my arms,” he stated matter-of-factly.

“Ay, Woohyun, you’re just overreacting,” Hani said. She then smiled. “Now let’s play. I’ve been waiting for too long because of you, so let’s play already.”

Woohyun frowned and grumpily picked up the pusher. “Fine, I’ll just play and beat you at this game as revenge for what you did.”

“Woohyun, revenge isn’t a good thing,” she said. “Well, that’s what he says up there anyways.” She looked up at the ceiling, and Woohyun knew who she was talking about.

“Revenge is not bad when it’s harmless,” Woohyun said back.

Hani nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I agree,” she said. “And because I agree, he keeps scolding me about it, and even Eunji said that I was a bad angel.”

Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows when he heard the unfamiliar name. “Who’s Eunji?” he asked.

“She’s my best friend,” Hani answered. She then picked up her pusher. “Also, your revenge plan is really boring. Can’t you think about anything else besides from beating me at a game?”

Woohyun stood there for a moment to let what she said to soak into his brain. “Wow… you really are a bad angel,” he said.

Hani frowned. “Yah, you’re going to call me that too?”

Woohyun nodded. “Yeah,” he replied. “What kind of angel would teach me how to plan revenge?”

Hani shrugged. “Maybe an angel that knows that your revenge plan is really lame,” she said.

Woohyun frowned. “Yeah, well let’s see what you say when I beat you at this.”

He had a competitive look in his eyes, and was determined to win this time. *Oh Hani, just because I promised to not cheat, it doesn’t mean that I will keep it.* he thought as he smirked inwardly.

The game then started and they both followed the fast-moving puck around with their eyes while trying to hit it into the goal.

Woohyun played like his life was depending on it as his competitiveness started rising again. *I’ll make sure that I’ll win this time,* he thought competitively.


 

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Woohyun just forgot about his promise like that. -_-