Escape

Put to an End
Sehun's POV:
 

For a while, I just sat there, trying to take this all in. Crop... Yes, I do remember that game. I always thought it was a game of enjoyment, but now I know that it was also a game to relieve stress. We always played it after we watched a movie together and neither of us were satisfied with its ending. 

 
*Flashback*
 
"What's the matter Sehun?" my mother asked. We were walking home from the movies that night. We were lucky enough to go out and watch a movie, as my father was working late that night. I was five at the time. But despite my age, I was a pretty fearless five-year old. We watched a horror movie that night. The people who worked there honestly didn't care that I was watching a movie not within my age level.
 
"The ending," I said. "It ."
 
"You don't use that kind of language Sehun," my mother scolded me. "But yes, I do agree with you." My mother laughed.
 
"So what should we do about it?" my mother asked, a gleam in her eye.
 
"Crop Game!" I yelled in delight. 
 
"Yup," my mom said. She smiled at my correct answer. "You start."
 
"Mm instead of the guy going to jail, I think he should fight the police and then kill the ghost things in his house!" I said. My mother laughed at my idea for an alternate ending. I was five at the time, so my ideas were very entertaining for my mom.
 
"Hehe, I actually agree Sehun," my mom said. "It felt like the movie was incomplete when the police just arrested the guy. I think he should've stayed and try to kill the ghosts. Hehe, but I don't think he should kill the police Sehun."
 
"Why?" I asked with curiosity. 
 
"Because maybe the police can help him." my mother said.
 
"Ooh! That would be even better!" I squealed in delight. We both laughed.
 
"But wait, the police might get taken by the ghost things too. Just like how they took his daddy and sister." I then realized. My mom laughed.
 
"Oh Sehun," she sighed.
 
*End of Flashback*
 
During the moment of silence, I noticed that Shin Yeong was also quiet. What was she thinking? She just heard something that was never meant for anyone but me. She just witnessed something I wouldn't dare let anyone else witness. Listening to me read the letter, must've opened up a whole new door in her mind. And more doors are waiting to be opened. The door leading to my past. My life. Me.
 
"So," Shin Yeong said after a while, breaking the silence. "What now Sehun?" I looked at her, to see her looking straight at me. Has she been looking at me the whole time I was reading? Knowing her, she was probably trying to study my face. She was probably trying to figure out what I was feeling.
 
To be honest, I didn't quite know myself. I felt like I was at a dead end in a maze. Not knowing what to do. Not knowing which way to go. 
 
I hold in my hands, something that I've been awaiting for years. Something I never thought I'd ever get, but still waited for. Should I be happy that I finally received word from her? Maybe a part of me wants to be happy. 
 
But another part of me wants to resent her completely. My mother, after so many years, finally said something to me. It may not have been in person, but it was still something. Should I be angry at her for taking so long? 
 
But there was something else in my mind too. What made her finally say something to me? I know she said that she was having a hard time writing back to me, but I know that there's something else. I know that there's another reason as to why she finally said something. Something is going on that I don't know about. The clue is that letter.
 
"I don't know," I said after a while. That wasn't a lie. I really didn't know what to do now. I wasn't gonna at first, but then I all of a sudden started spilling out everything I've been feeling ever since I finished reading that letter. As I talked, Shin Yeong just stared at me and listened to my every word. I don't know why, but I liked it. I've been longing for someone to talk to who will actually take the time to listen to me. And you're that someone Shin Yeong. When I was finished spilling my thoughts, I looked to Shin Yeong, expecting her to say something back.
 
"Well," she said. "Her address is right here on the envelope. Are you gonna try to look for her?"
 
I remember times when I was little when I'd leave home without my father's consent, in search of my mother. I've been doing it for a while when my father wasn't home. But one day I completely stopped trying. I gave up, knowing it was pointless. I should've known better that she must have moved far away from here. 
 
But now that I have her address, I'm not sure if I should start that search up again. I don't think I'll be ready to face her. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I saw her. Maybe one day I'll be able to face her...
 
"Honestly," I said. "I'm not sure anymore." I could tell that Shin Yeong got the hint of how I was feeling at the moment. She didn't try to push any other thoughts or questions at me. She just nodded and got up to stretch. That confused me. I guess my confusion was showing. She finished stretching and smiled at me.
 
"I don't think I can get anything else out of you today Sehun. This letter must be a huge surprise to you. I think you need some time to process all this." she said. "Just know Sehun, that you can tell me anything. I'm here for you. Not just as your partner for the project, but far more than that."
 
For a moment, I thought that she was gonna confess her feelings for me. But I knew that that it wasn't like her to be confessing to someone like this. I also realized, why would someone like her have feelings for me?
 
"I'm here for you, as your friend." Shin Yeong finished. 
 
I don't know why, but I all of a sudden felt like hugging her. Hearing her say this to me, made me feel like I wasn't alone in this world anymore. And that I had someone by my side. 
 
Well, I got what I wanted. Shin Yeong reached forward and pulled me into a hug. Wow, second hug today. I must be hallucinating or something. But I knew that this was the real thing. I wasn't lost in dream land. 
 
Earlier when she hugged me, I didn't hug her back, but let her hug me instead. But now that we were alone together, I was a little more confident. I slowly reached up to hug her back. She tensed at my touch, but didn't release herself from the hug. After a while, I cleared my throat and she took it as an immediate sign to release herself from the hug. It immediately got awkward in the room. I cleared my throat again. Please stop clearing your throat Sehun. 
 
"So, what's the plan?" I asked. For a moment, Shin Yeong was confused. But she then caught on. We needed to think of a plan to get her out of the house without being seen by my dad and his friends. I then heard voices downstairs. My dad's friends must have arrived. We had to act quick.
 
"Window?" Shin Yeong asked. 
 
"I already thought of that," I admitted. "Too dangerous." At that moment, Shin Yeong looked at me weirdly. Did I say something weird?
 
"I think it's best if I go downstairs and see for myself where they'll be. Maybe I'll be able to come up with a plan then." I said. I looked to her and saw her nodding along to what I was saying.
 
"That would be smart," she said. 
 
"Be right back," I said. I slipped out of my room and slowly went downstairs. 
 
Just as I had thought. They were in the living room. The thing about the living room is that it's like the central part of a building. You have to pass through it first to be able to go to another room. Near the living room is the door leading out of the house, the door leading to the kitchen, the door leading to the garage, and the hall leading to some of the guest rooms. This is gonna be harder than I thought.
 
When I came downstairs, my dad's friends saw me almost immediately. They waved me over. I walked over to them, even though I really didn't want to. I looked to my dad, knowing that he is currently assessing me and evaluating my every move.
 
"There's the son!" one of his friends said. He got up from his chair and held out his hand for me to shake. Everyone else did the same thing after him. 
 
There was about seven guys in the room, including my dad. I looked to the table in front of them and saw that they haven't started drinking yet. Should I wait until they're drunk to sneak Shin Yeong out of the house? If they see her, which they probably will, they might not remember seeing her the next day. But then, I realized that it could be a little risky. Shin Yeong, being a girl, and my dad's friends, being drunk, surely do not mix.
 
I realized that I should probably sneak Shin Yeong out of the house before they started drinking. That would be smart.
 
"You should join us!" one of the men said. They weren't drunk yet, but they sure acted like it already. I guess being in a good mood brought the drunken side of them. 
 
I politely declined their request and made my way back upstairs to my room. I walked in and saw Shin Yeong, still seated at the foot of my bed. She looked up at me when I walked in. She made her way towards me.
 
"Did you think of a plan?" she asked. I told her the problem that awaited us downstairs. She nodded along to my every word. 
 
"Yeah, I figured this would happen," she said. "Well, let's try to think of a plan fast. You're right about getting me out of here before they start drinking. No way will I be seen when they're already drunk." We became silent for a while as we thought of a plan.
 
"How about some sort of distraction?" I asked. That could actually work, but I guess it depends what kind of distraction.
 
"Hmm, good idea," she said. "A distraction... What do men their age like the most?"
 
I thought about a gazillion things that men their age like. Many of them I cannot name in front of Shin Yeong. Suddenly, I thought of an idea and I think it just might work. I explained to Shin Yeong the idea I had in mind. 
 
My father, being rich, has earned many awards due to his accomplishments as a wealthy man. He takes so much pride into his accomplishments that he has a whole room in this house, where he keeps all his awards, metals, trophies, you name it. I'm sure that if I mention the room to him, he'll be out of seat, dragging his friends to that very room. The thing is, that room is right across from my room. That's the tricky part. So we had to act quick before they exit the room.
 
"I'll knock three times on the door. That's the signal that it's clear for you to come out." I explained to Shin Yeong. She nodded that she understood. I was about to slip out of my room again when she spoke.
 
"Hey," she said. "If I'm caught, it's all on you." I looked to her and saw her smiling at me. I smiled back. 
 
"No problem." I said. I slipped out of my room.
 
~ Wow, long time no update! I only have school to blame...aish... So sorry for not updating in a while. Good news is that this is my last week of school before I go on break (which is just 2 weeks...sighhh...), so I really hope I'll be able to update more. Thanks to those of you who are still reading this. :)