Mothers

Put to an End

Sehun's POV:

This question really surprised me. It really did. Is she serious? Is she really expecting me to answer that question? 

I mean, this was a touchy subject. Even for me. Especially for me. Was she gonna ask me questions like this all the time? Or perhaps this was a test?

I really felt like I could be honest with Shin Yeong. That I could trust her. But can I trust her with these type of things? Family. Hardships. Heartaches. Misery. Despair. Mothers. I thought about what to say. But as I thought about it, there's nothing really to consider about.

"I don't know." I said plainly. I didn't yell out in anger. I didn't break down sobbing. I just said the truth. The truth was that I didn't know. 

I looked at Shin Yeong to see her reaction. I didn't expect to see this in her eyes. Not at all. But in her eyes, all I could see was one thing. Understanding.

She looked like she understood me. Like she knows what I mean. What I've gone through. How it was like to be me. I didn't guarantee that all that was true. But I could at least tell that part of it was true.

I all of a sudden felt like telling her everything. Everything I've gone through. Everything I've experienced. All the hardships and lonely times I had to face.

But I couldn't. Not yet. Not now. Not in a while. There might come a day when I can though. I sure think so. Just now's not the time.

"I'm sorry I asked you such a private question..." I stopped her. 

"It's ok. You were probably just curious huh?" I said. She nodded. We sat in silence for a while. Until she finally broke the silence.

"I don't know either," she said. I looked at her. I thought she had a mother. I saw her. She came to school once.

~Flashback~

"Next up, Shin Yeong's mother." the teacher said. Everyone clapped as she walked to the front of the class.

It was Business Day at school. Your parents could come and talk about their job to the class. My father never came. Not a surprise. The first time he heard about it, all he talked about was how useless it sounds. Pathetic. A waste of time. That's just average father. My average father.

Shin Yeong's mother stood at the front of the classroom. And here comes the drool. Practically every boy in the class started drooling the second their eyes landed on her. Mm, I see where she gets her looks from. I wasn't drooling by the way. I don't drool.

"Hello class, I'm Kim Shin Yeong's mother." 

~End of Flashback~

"I know what you're thinking," Shin Yeong said, interrupting my flashback. "That woman isn't my mother. My real mother anyway. On Business Day. She's my stepmother." 

Stepmother. I've actually never thought of that before. Could my father be seeing another woman right now? Or before? If he was, I wasn't gonna let that happen. Not at all. I didn't want another mother. 

"At least you have a mother that cares for you." I said. But as I said it, I thought that I could be wrong. Am I wrong?

I looked at Shin Yeong. At the same time, she looked at me. Our eyes met for a moment. Her eyes showed slight anger. I knew then that I was wrong.

"Cares for me?" Shin Yeong said in disbelief. "She doesn't care for me. At all. Classic Cinderella."

"Then why did she go that day? On Business Day. If she didn't care for you, why did she even bother showing up?" I asked. That didn't make sense. Why would her stepmother come if she didn't care for her?

"It's because of my father." she said.

Shin Yeong's POV:

I felt like I had to start telling Sehun things about me now. As he opens up to me, I should be doing the same. All he said was that he didn't know where his mother was. During the moment of silence, I was waiting for him to tell me more. But he never did.

So I decided to step it up a little bit. I decided that I should start talking about myself too. My story. My past. My life.

"My father brought it up at dinner one time. He suggested that my stepmother attend." she explained. "She didn't want to disappoint my father, so she couldn't say no. That's why she came. It wasn't for me. It was for my father. And it was for her. For her and my father's sake."

I waited for his response. I wanted to know what he has to say about what I just told him. Does he understand? Does he know how I feel? I looked at him, but he didn't meet my eyes.

"I know what you mean. Well, about not being cared for." he said. "My father. He doesn't care for me. He never did. He wouldn't come to things like that even he were to get payed a million dollars to go. He thinks it's pathetic and useless. A waste of time."

Is that what I think I'm hearing? Sehun is opening up to me a little more. What I told him, made some effect on him too. I nodded when he looked at me right after he finished what he said. I think that's enough for now. Talking about ourselves.

Now, what to do about the assignment...