Flinching

Put to an End

Sehun's POV:

I didn't know it at first, but I realized that I just told Shin Yeong something personal. Something no one even knows about me. The true me.

I'm finally opening myself up to Shin Yeong a little bit. I didn't know if I could fully open myself up to her though. The assignment was due at the end of the school year. That's months from now. We have plenty of time. Not just to complete the assignment. But to get to know each other more too.

"So, about the assignment..." Shin Yeong began. "What are we gonna do? We're kind of at a lost since neither of us had much experience in love."

I thought about our situation. How about we just watch movies and such that involves love? Or perhaps something like that.

"How about we watch things that have to do with love?" I said. But as I said it, I realized that it sounded weird and inappropriate.

Shin Yeong looked at me weirdly. I quickly explained what I meant to avoid any other confusion.

 "No I meant movies and dramas and such." I explained. "You know, like Romance related things." I realized that explanation didn't really explain clearly what I meant. But I sure hoped she got what I mean.

"Ah, I see what you mean." Shin Yeong responded. "That's a great idea." She sounded relieved at my explanation.

"So for our first meeting on the assignment, where should we meet up at?" she asked.

I thought about it a little more. My house? I still felt sort of odd about letting her into my house. But I knew I had to let that thought go. The thought that she was a girl. It's not like we're gonna do anything weird. We still barely know each other. We're still slightly strangers to each other.

"My house is fine," I said. "There'll be no one and nothing to disrupt us." She looked at me curiously.

"You live alone?" she asked. "I thought you lived with your father?" I looked away from her.

"I do," I began. "But he's rarely at home. He spends most of his time at work. I'm almost always alone at home."

See? I'm doing it again. Telling her about me. The me that no one even knows about. The true me.

All of a sudden, Shin Yeong placed her hand on my shoulder. I flinched at her touch. She felt me flinch and slowly retreated her hand from my shoulder.

I knew why I flinched. It was because no one has ever touched me so sudden before. And the touch was soft too. Unlike a touch from my father. In other words, a beating. Her touch felt genuine and kind. Like she was trying to comfort me.

Why did she touch me?

Shin Yeong's POV:

Why did I touch him? I wasn't thinking straight. That's for sure.

When Sehun was telling me about how he's always home alone, I don't know. I just felt like touching his shoulder. I think I felt like I wanted to comfort him or something.

But the thing is, he flinched. He flinched at my sudden touch. Of course he would flinch because I touched him so suddenly. But the thing is, when he flinched, he looked at me like he was lost. Like he didn't know what was happening. Like he didn't know what I was doing.

I think it was because he's never been touched before. Well, he probably was touched before. But not in a really long time. Especially the way I touched him. Kind and caring touch. 

From what he tells me about his relationship with his father, I don't think his father has touched him in a very long time. Well, the caring and kind touching anyway. I wonder if his father ever beats him. I could picture that from a father like him. 

When I took my hand off his shoulder, we both turned away. Not daring to meet each other's gaze. I felt like I stepped through a place I wasn't supposed to be in. I felt like what I did was a huge mistake. I shouldn't have done that. What would Sehun think of me now? I shook the thought away from my mind.

Our first meeting place was gonna be at Sehun's house. I'm all of a sudden really curious. I wanted to see how it was like in his house. In fact, how his house even looked like anyway. Sehun was home alone most of the time, so did he always have to do chores and such around the house?

"What should we do when we meet up at my house?" Sehun asked after a while.

I was thinking about that. I had an idea, but the idea sounded weird to me. Odd. 

"I was thinking we could watch some romance movies together." I said. It felt odd saying that. It felt like we were on a date. Instead of working on something for school. Sehun and I on a date. I can't even imagine that. Is that even imaginable? 

I looked at Sehun to see his reaction. He looked at me weirdly for a moment, then his face turned back to normal. Was he cool with the idea of us watching romance movies together? At his house? Alone?

"Alright," he said. "That's fine with me. But I don't have any at my house." 

I was expecting him to say that. He didn't look like a guy that would sit at home and watch romance movies. Are there even any guys that did that? It's a good thing I had plenty.

"That's ok," I said. "I have plenty at home." He nodded ok.

"What day?" he asked. I thought about the day we should meet up at his house.

"Next week. Friday. After school." I said. He nodded then stood up from the bench.

He looked awkward. He was rubbing his neck. I noticed that lots of guys had a tendency to do that. Rub their necks awkwardly. For some reason, I found it kinda cute. Especially when Sehun did it... Wait, what am I saying?

"Well, I have to go now." he said. I smiled at how awkward he sounded. He looked at me with a confused look on his face. He showed me the same reaction when I laughed earlier. I guess Sehun wasn't used to making people smile and laugh. 

I think I should do that often. Smile and laugh when I'm with Sehun. Because if I do, he might do it too. If I see Sehun smile, or better yet laugh, I would be so happy. I wanted him to smile and laugh. Not just glare and frown all the time. Despite everything Sehun has told me that was sad about his life, he deserved to be happy too. He deserved to smile and laugh too.

"Same here." I said. "Bye Sehun." I waved at him from where I sat. I didn't want to leave at the same time as him. I'll leave when he was a good distance away from me. I smiled at him one last time.

"Bye Shin Yeong." Sehun said. He waved at me too. Then he did something. Something that surprised me, but at the same time, I felt happy to see it too.

He smiled at me.