Backpack

Put to an End

Shin Yeong's POV:

The bell rang. Startling the both of us. I looked at Sehun. He looked as if a spell was broken inside of him. He looked to his right, to his left, all around him. One by one, doors opened as students began to exit their classes. 

My eyes didn't focus on the people exiting their classes. My eyes stayed focused on Sehun and Sehun only. We still haven't said one word to each other. I spent a while trying to figure out what Sehun was thinking. But it was hard for me to read his thoughts as he didn't wanna look at me straight in the eyes. He focused his eyes anywhere but me. Anywhere but my eyes.

Before I could say something to Sehun. He fled. Right on the spot. Right at that moment. He left without saying a word to me. I didn't look to see what direction he fled to. I didn't even bother chasing after him.

I understand why he fled. He fled out of impulse. He reacted on impulse when he saw other people around us. He didn't want others to see us. He didn't want people to start more rumors about him. He didn't want anymore lies to spread about us. 

How could I have been so oblivious of the time? I should've been more observant of how long we were together. I did at first, but I got too caught up in our conversation and ended up forgetting about it completely.

What about him? Was he even paying attention to the time? I then realized, how could he? When I hugged him, it was like I erased other thoughts in his mind. I hugged him so suddenly that he began to forget about other things in his mind.

I didn't realize that people were staring at me weirdly as they walked past me. I was still seated at the base of that tree. I probably had a very bewildered expression on my face. I looked like someone who was frozen in time. And I looked like someone who had a lot going on their mind.

I quickly shook my head to break out of my daze. I stood up and walked back to my class. I entered class and checked in with my teacher. She told me that she didn't assign any homework. I went to my desk and gathered up all my things. My eyes scanned the classroom, then landed on Sehun's desk. His backpack was still there. Hanging on the back if his chair. When he left, he probably went straight to the door leading out of school. He didn't bother coming back to gather up all his belongings in class.

My eyes wavered from the door to Sehun's backpack. Should I maybe get his backpack? Should I return it to him? My teacher saw me staring at his backpack.

"Did you happen to see Sehun when you went to the bathroom?" she asked.

"No, I didn't see him." I lied.

"Well, looks like he left without his backpack." she said. Before I could stop myself from saying so...

"I could take his backpack and return it to him." I told my teacher.

"Alright, thank you Shin Yeong." she said. She smiled and bade me goodbye. I took his backpack and exited the classroom. I knew she was gonna say yes. I guess that's one of the perks of being one of the smartest and most trusted students at this school. As much I hated that, it did come in handy at certain times.

I walked towards my locker. I still had to get some books out of it. As I walked down the halls to my locker, I looked at Sehun's backpack. A huge part of me knew that I had to return it to him right away. But the other part of me wanted to look through his belongings. I knew it wasn't the right thing to do, but my curiosity levels were never this high before.

Another thought crossed my mind. How would I return it to him? I couldn't return it to him at school tomorrow. He had books and documents he needed in order to complete his homework. Should I perhaps call him? The thought of calling Sehun was alien in my mind. I pushed the thought away from my mind for a while. I got to my locker and started loading things in my backpack.

When I shut my locker, I caught one of my best friends as she was getting ready to scare me. She insisted that she'll be able to scare me one day, but she's never scared me. Not once. Not in a while. Not in forever. She's just too cute. Her face can never look scary. No matter how hard she tried. She pouted when she realized her plan has been foiled. I stuck my tongue out at her in a teasing manner. I giggled when she stuck her tongue out at me too.

"Not funny unnie," she said. "Whatcha doing after school today? Well, besides homework."

"I have nothing planned other than homework. I'll probably just stay home. Why?" I replied. I knew she was gonna ask if she could hang out with me or if I could hang out with her. But as much as I loved her, I didn't wanna hang out with her today. I wanted to explore the contents of Sehun's backpack.

"Mm ok, unnie. I understand. I was gonna ask if we could do something together. No worries, maybe another time." she said. She smiled, showing she was cool with my decision. But I knew she wasn't cool. We haven't hung out with just the two of us in a while. I pondered the final decision in my mind. Should I blow her off again? Or should I be a good friend and hang out with her? The last one sounded like the right thing to do. 

"You know what, let's hang out today. I could do homework later." I said. Her face lit up, as I knew it would. My eyes landed on Sehun's backpack. I looked at my friend. Her eyes landed on Sehun's backpack too. Her smile faded. It was replaced with confusion and a little bit of recognition. Did she perhaps recognize it as Sehun's backpack?

"Is that?..." she said. She paused as she studied the backpack more. I slung the backpack over my shoulder.

"Oh, this?" I said. "This is just...my spare backpack." I don't know why, but I was usually really good at lying. But this time, I was completely tongue-tied. I couldn't really think of a story to cover up the truth. My friend looked confused for a second, then nodded okay. 

"Ah ok, you probably stopped by at the library today huh?" she said. I nodded yes. She knew how much of a book-lover I was. She out of all people would believe my story of having a spare backpack in my locker. I mentally sighed with relief.

"Let's go?" she asked. She linked arms with me and smiled. I nodded and smiled back.

~ Hello readers. Any ideas on what Shin Yeong will find in Sehun's backpack? Go ahead and tell me your predictions in the comments. I'd love to read your predictions. :)