25_

Cross The Line

 

"You're still doing it wrong," I said as I let out a chuckle, "you have to soften your shoulders".

 

The girl in front of me pouted cutely while throwing herself to the floor, "I'm tired, I won't make it to next week, this choreo is too difficult for me," she complained, looking at me through the mirror, "I'm a singer, not a dancer!"

 

I sighed, moving my head from side to side showing disapproval, "you're an artist," I corrected her, "now get up and try one more time".

 

She pouted even more and hugged her knees as a spoiled child who didn't want to obey her parents, "nope".

 

"Hey," I whisper, taking a sit beside her, "I trust you, alright? I know you can make it and I know you're gonna make it, so please try it. You're amazing, Yejin, you gotta show it to them".

 

She looked at me directly at my eyes, a smile lingering on her lips.

 

"I will make it".

 

Ailee got up again and started from where she left. It was captivating how her sloppy moves had gotten so much better the past few days.

 

Less than a week before, her manager had informed her that she was going to be the surprise guest to a dance competition as a partner to one of the contestants. It was going to be only that time, but even with that, the pressure was really big. She asked me to help her with the choreography in order to give a good performance, but being a lazy girl, used to sit in a chair to sing slow songs, she got it difficult.

 

So I was surprised how she changed so fast and how her dancing had improved that much in such a short time. It made me somehow proud.

 

"Good job," I congratulated her as she ended up the song flawlessly, "it's getting better and better, I'm surprised".

 

"It's all thanks to you," she said, wrapping her arms on my neck, "really, thank you".

 

She left a kiss on the top of my nose as our foreheads rested on each other's.

 

*

 

"Man, Ailee got some moves," Taeyeon commented.

 

Some of us were sitting on the couch at the dorm watching tv when I changed the channel to watch Ailee's performance. They didn't know I was the one helping her with the dancing, everytime I was out I put any excuse but her.

 

"You should learn," Hyoyeon replied, "she's a singer who's got moves, full package".

 

Taeyeon just rolled her eyes, "I would dance if I wanted to... I just don't want to".

 

The girls chuckled at that answer.

 

When she ended up her performance, without noticing it, a big smile was plastered on my face. My thoughts were interrupted as I saw a text from her on my phone. I got up and went out of the dorm in order to call her, but unfortunately got no answer. I decided to wait for a while, maybe she was busy with the staff.

 

As I wondered around I remembered that no one was using the rooftop so I could go there to have some privacy while talking. It took less that a minute to reach that place and I had forgotten how beautiful the view was. I leaned into the handrail as I waited a little bit longer.

 

I felt like my life was getting together again. Having Ailee with me was making me feel emotionally stable again. It didn't mean that I was over anything that had happened before. But I knew it was going to get better, it was a matter of time.

 

"Penny for your thoughts?" I heard a voice coming closer and I somehow stiffened.

 

"Tiffany..." was the only word that got out of my mouth.

 

"It's been a while since we've been alone," she said, coming to stand by my side, "how are you?"

 

"Fine," I answered, not meeting her eyes, "I just came here to breath some fresh air".

 

She looked at my phone which was still on my hand, "were you waiting for a call?"

 

"No... I just checked the hour before you appeared".

 

Her eyes redirected to the city that was in front of us, she probably didn't buy a single word I had said.

 

We fell into silence for a couple of minutes until she dared to speak, "aren't we going to talk about it?"

 

I gulped hard as I felt a knot in the pitch of my stomach.

 

"We've made separated ways, why should we even talk about it?"

 

She let out a sad chukle, moving her head, "because it doesn't feel right this way".

 

"I want you to be happy..." I whispered, lowering my head, ashamed of meeting her eyes.

 

"I was happy, Yuri," she said, her body turning towards me, "I really was".

 

My heart started to race faster. Just when I thought I was going to be fine again... this happens.

 

"Maybe... maybe you should try to be happy again, Tiffany... maybe... you should give him a chance".

 

My gaze slowly found hers, and when it did, it broke my heart.

 

Tiffany's eyes were already filled with tears, "what are you saying?"

 

I tried to hold her hand, but she pushed me away. I deserved it.

 

"I really want you to be happy, Tiffany. If he's the one to make you happy, you should let him."

 

"I can't believe you..." she whispered, "are you really letting all this go?!"

 

"Tiffany..."

 

"You never loved me..."

 

"I did!" I reacted, "I did love you, Tiffany, don't you ever doubt it".

 

"Then you don't anymore..." her tears were already falling and it broke my heart once again, "why are you doing this to me?"

 

"He can make you happier... he can give you what I can't..."

 

"I wanted to be happy wih you!" she retorted, "I just wanted to be with you! I gave my everything for you! And this is what I got? Your betrayal?" she shook her head, smiling sadly, as not wanting to believe what was happening. "I hate you".

 

Her gaze was fixed on the floor, her fists were trembling. I knew I had no right to come closer, but I did and it got me the most painful slap I could have ever received.

 

Not physically speaking, though. It hurt inside.

 

"You never changed and you're never gonna change..." she said, whispering, "why?" she cried, "why did I have to fall in love with you?"

 

I had no chance to even react, because she was already nowhere to be seen.

 

The only thing in my mind at that moment was:

 

What have I done?