007

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 7 // UNWELCOMING EXPECTATIONS

 

    You tapped your fingers on the table top, trying to advert your attention to something else. The silence between the both of you was creeping under your skin eventhough it seemed as if the whole cafe was deafening with plates hitting amongst each other. Daehyun accompanied himself by leaving an eye on every single person walking pass the display window. You felt unease as you slowly fluttered open your lashes and looked up to Daehyun's direction as to see him staring at you with such peculiar eyes. "Why did you bring me here?" You spoke, still fiddling with your fingers. Daehyun showed an effortless shrug as he continued staring out the clear window. "You're pretty much wasting my time on inviting me for a royal tea. It's better for me to be going home and unpack all those junks inside."

       Daehyun narrowed his already small eyes at you and let out a stifled laugh. The waiter then came from the corner, placing both cups on the table top as Daehyun handed him the cash with a small tip right after that. You furrowed your thick eyebrows, narrowing them towards Daehyun's direction. Why was he paying those drinks? Haven't he paid them before? You bit your lower lip, pondering whether you should take a sip on the drink he just ordered for you. Guilt washed all over you suddenly as you stared intently at the cup of drink, not being able to pay them as Daehyun beat you to it. "I'll pay you back." You said shortly. Daehyun tilted his head, hiding a small grin as he nodded. You took a hold of the drink and sipped it slowly, having to taste the rich brewed coffee as you let out a small satisfactory moan. Pursing your lips together, you felt a sense of lightness washed over your whole body. As the slow breeze swept over your silky hair, you felt yourself at ease again.

       "It feels good, does it?" Daehyun mumbled in between his cup of drink. You wrinkled your forehead and asked a hmm. "Feels good to leave something behind for awhile and just have a cup of coffee to fill your mind." He pursed his , plump lips together as his high cheekbones rose up a little. You blinked and nodded slowly, processing your thoughts together. Heaving a sigh, you nodded to yourself after what Daehyun said. It was true that the warmthness from the beverage itself and the atmosphere made you feel much more at ease as you sinked a little down further to the comfort of the velvet chair. Reaching to the side pockets of your handheld bag, you searched for your purse as if digging for precious gold. Furrowing your wrinkled eyelids together, you can't seem to get a hold of anything inside. Taking a step out of the café, you felt something was amiss as your heart started palpitating unusually feeling a great unpleasure. Your purse couldn't be found anywhere inside your bag. "Is everything alright?" A honey-like voice was heard from the back but you ignored it. Digging your hands deep into the bag again, nothing was there except scraps of receipts and a few of your undergarments. Widening your eyes and gulping, you started to frantic. "M-My wallet.." Your voice trailed away with a hint of worriedness at the end. Steadying your breath, you tried to trace back your steps. It's impossible that you were pickpocketed in this safe city where everyone was possible well-mannered.

       You hitched your breath as you thought about your small trip back to Ilsung's house. Fear gripped the pits of your stomach knowing for sure that you left your wallet somewhere there inside his house. "Do you know where it is? Or do you want to make a report first?" Daehyun pressed onto his words as you shook your head. "Do you mind following me back to my previous house? I might left it there and in that case, I can pay you back for the drinks." You blinked your eyelids and avoided eye contact with Daehyun. You were never a good liar but a a white lie never hurts anyone right? You became angsty, expecting that he would not buy your lie and would probably walk away but you needed company to go back to the haunted place. Without thinking through, Daehyun shrugged and nodded as he agreed. Taking big steps and holding the sides of your bag with a churning stomach, you led the way back to the house not knowing what would be waiting for you there. 

       Dragging your unusually bulky legs - which now felt as if it was carrying a huge load of bricks on each side, your heart raced as it followed the rythmic pace of the scrunching noise coming from your wet shoe soles. Grabbing the handles of your bag, violent thoughts raced through your rotten mind as it gave you a cold shudder down your spine. Letting out a really loud groan, you ruffled your hair in annoyance as to think on how densed you were to leave your bulky wallet lying down on the last place on earth that you would visit to. Daehyun, who had his icy-cold hands in his pocket, had his head hung low as he would take small glances at you and furrowed his eyes looking at your peculiar behaviour - talking to yourself, ruffling your own hair and even letting your own thoughts dream away. A few blocks away till Ilsung's house, unwanted butterflies were then formed inside your stomach as it made you wanted to puke. "Is this your apartment before?" Daehyun queried. With a mere nod, you braced yourself and walked up to the what seemed as if a really infinite flight of stairs. As soon as you arrived at the last stairs, your heartbeat continued pumping uncontrollably as you took a peep to Daehyun who had his eyes squinted to the corridor which seemed like a shipwreck.

       His small almond eyes then widened time by time as he realised how amazingly horrifying the place where you stayed before seemed. "Y-You st-"

       "Yeah I did, just don't ask." You called out in a seemlessly thin voice, walking pass the shattered alcohol bottles and went straight to the pale door as your heart pumped deafeningly for the nth time of the day. Pushing the door slightly, it creaked open by just a mere touch like those shown in the horror movies as if inviting you in. Daehyun pondered on his thoughts for awhile, unsure whether to enter the awful house but he knew he couldn't possibly let you in there alone. It was his insticts. Something about his insticts told him to fasten his pace and stay by your side. He didn't understand his own situation but he went with it, not wanting to take the risk. As you step in, the familiar stench went through your nostrils again but this time there was a much more cologne-like smell. So familiar yet so unrecognizable. As you walk further into the kitchen, tons of alcohol bottle were place on the counter. Your heart stung as you saw the familiar shattered pieces of white mug on the ceramic floor. It was engraved as, "You're mine forever" and there was a photo of you and Ilsung overlaying the whole text.

       Anger and a mix of anguish filled your emotions, trying to stop the tears from escaping the tear duct. The shattered pieces were scattered everywhere - under the kitchen table, at the side of the dust pan and pieces of it were collected at the sink. Sniffing, you took all the shattered ceramic pieces and placed it on top of the counter. You took a last look at the joyful couple who you almost couldn't recognised now at the mug, holding your aching chest and hurried through the living room. Daehyun on the other hand found himself wondering through the cluttered mess around the whole living room as some torn magazines and old pictures were found. Shattered glasses were found on top of the drawer as his eyes were directed to the picture behind the broken frame. There it was, the beautiful mega-watt smile given by both of them in the picture as it seemed like they were enjoying their moment. A sense of guilt washed  over himself as he saw the real woman behind the angelic smile. His eyes became a little teary as he saw the familiar sight. Letting out a sigh, he put down the broken frame and pursed his lips together.

       "Stay here, I'll get my wallet." You said shortly, trying your best not to stutter. "Be careful, there's shattered glasses everywhere." Daehyun advised. Walking up the flight of stairs and avoiding the cracks of bottles, you mustered your courage to go back inside to the room. The room that you once shared love with Ilsung, snuggling up to his chest on Sunday mornings and being showered with kisses before going off to work. Now, everything was just a memory and stepping inside the room itself made your heart ached so bad. Walking inside the room, everything seemed the same as you instantly directed your eyes to the bulky wallet placed neatly on the top of the drawer. Swiflty picking it up, you turned to the door but a low groan made you stop dead in your tracks. "W-What are you doing here?!" Ilsung's husky voice filled your eardrums as he groaned, blinking his red and sore eyes. You turned, almost shivering as his words gave you a cold shudder. You broke out in cold sweat as he narrowed his eyes to your direction, almost staring into your soul. You were caught off guard. It was terrifying, similar to the image that played in your head vividly for the past few days.

       You were ready to walk away, leaving him behind when he took a hold of your boned wrist that had veins easily popping out in a quick moment. "I'm asking you, why did you come back?!" He raised his voice, tightening the grip on your hand as his fingernails were halfly dug deep into your pale palm. Pursing your lips together, you shook your head vigorously and tried to fight back. You weren't able to let a single squeak out as you forced the saliva down your throat. His long fingernails then scraped your skin a little, giving a cut. "Why the did you bother to come back?!" His voice turned raspier as it cracked, holding the sides of your shoulder tightly. His palm was raised above your head as it sent a loud smack on your swollen red cheeks. Your whole body shook and shuddered as your adrenaline pumped faster.

       Why did you bother to come back? Before your mind was able to process anything, a loud groan was heard as you saw Ilsung stumbling down to the ground, holding his jaw. The tight grip on your shoulders was changed to a much reassuring one.

       Looking up, Daehyun had his teeth gritted as he hid you behind his broad shoulders with a clenched fist.

 

EEEPPP, what's happening?!

lol sorry for such ish author notes 

HEHE wanna know more what's up? Stay tuned & subscribe cause you're gonna miss out if you don't (;

& thankyou to those who did subscribe, comment and upvote