019

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 19 // UNVEILING THE SECRETS

 

     You watched over as the both of them involved themselves in a light yet heartful chat. Just when you were about to turn and explore the whole building by yourself, Daehyun lightly took you by the arm which sent electric volts through your whole body and introduced you to his friend. "Hyemi, this is Youngjae. Youngjae, this is Hyemi." Youngjae handed out his hand towards you as you hesitated at first but slowly sliding your fingers in between his and giving a light handshake. The way Youngjae introduced himself showed his confidence and you realised that his personality was complementary to Daehyun's. Youngjae was totally different than what you thought he would be because he seemed to be a really laid-back type of person and not to mention that he is full of manners too - not what you expected from someone who works closely with the Police. Daehyun then pulled Youngjae to one corner slowly so that he wouldn't be noticed. Whispering word by word, he slowly explained the matter. "Jae, you remember that girl I was talking about over the phone?" Daehyun lowered his voice, his eyes looking upwards to his friend's milky face intensely. "The one that got abused?" Youngjae guessed, biting his lower lip as Daehyun nodded his head forcefully with his eyes wide open. "She's the one." Daehyun pointed to your direction - you were standing around the hallway, checking out the achievements and recognitions that some of the officers received - as Youngjae followed his finger, understanding what Daehyun meant.

         "I need you to help me find out if she has anybody else to rely on." In a flash, Youngjae's forehead started to crease as his eyes was closed shut and his teeth gritting amongst each other, giving out hissing sounds. He shook his head slowly, giving an apologetic look where his mouth would drooped slightly. Daehyun gave an exasperated look, trying his best to convince his good friend to accept this deal. "Dude please, it's not like I always ask you for these kinds of help. Besides, you're good at all these computer s and you have records of those who might be related to her." Daehyun pleaded him. Youngjae was now much relaxed as he had his eyes onto Daehyun who was pleading him non-stop. "It's not that hard. I need your help, Jae." Daehyun placed his hand onto Youngjae's shoulder as he bit his lower lip, hoping that somehow Youngjae would accept it. Youngjae gave out an enraged sigh as he massaged his temples using his thumb and forefinger, slowly nodding his head as his friend's frowning face changed to a wide and grateful smile. For once, Daehyun felt a huge relief washed over his whole body and he was sure that this would somehow help you. Daehyun then hurriedly called you over as the three of you then made your way to a room further down to the hallway. "You've never been this enthusiastic before. Something going on?" Youngjae whispered in his low voice, turning his head to Daehyun who was catching up behind him. Daehyun rolled his eyes as he shook his head and punched his friend's arm.

         You were practically awed by the room which had a shiny polka dot texture on top of a matte black wallpaper, giving you the impression of chic and relax that was meant for this room. More than four computers were placed neatly on top of a elongated, beautifully varnished dark brown desk on each side of the room. Other than that, a huge screen that reaches from half of the wall till the top was plasted onto a cream coloured wall. Everything seemed so tech savvy and it really impressed you. Youngjae took a seat near one of the computer desk as he set off to work. You stood behind him, watching what he was planning on doing as his fingers tapped onto the keyboard swiftly one after the other. The format of the computer was different too and you couldn't possibly understand a single thing. Youngjae on the other hand was much more relaxed than you were since he knew what he was doing and he was so focused on doing so. "Eureka! Found it!" Youngjae exclaimed as he broke out into a wide, satisfactory smile. Your attentiveness side kicked in as your eyes were glued onto the computer screen. The result showed that there was someone related to you and was still alive. Youngjae pressed onto the keyboard again and this time, you were able to see the full profile of the person.

          It was a woman and she looked way older than you. Squinting your eyes, you highly doubt that that was your mother because she doesn't resemble anything to you and you just felt it in your guts that it wasn't her. The woman had a long hair that might reach till her waist and had strands of white hair too. You believed that she would be your grandmother. As Youngjae scrolled down even further, there were even more background information in the profile. Youngjae stood up from the chair as he offered it to you, giving you the chance to read more. In the profile itself stated that the woman had only one grandchild which was a girl and that her son had committed suicide during the time he was thrown into jail. Meanwhile, her daughter-in-law was reported missing for almost more than twenty years. Your heart thumped nervously as you could feel your chest tightening on it's own after reading word by word and sentence by sentence, understanding the meaning of it. Something hinted you that she was definitely your grandmother and that she was still alive. Other than that, it was also stated that her granddaughter was reported missing after six years of living in an orphanage. Tears started overwhelming the brims of your eyes and you could feel yourself trying to fight those tears and urging yourself to not choke. You felt helpless again. "Do you mind finding about her daughter-in-law?" You pointed to the woman in the picture to Youngjae as he nodded while biting his lip eagerly and his fingers rapidly tapping the keyboard.

         Another profile came into sight and this time was a different woman. She looked much more younger than the previous one and she had a short bob hair that looked like someone who would have it during the olden days. She had a fierce face whereby her nose would be scrunched up slightly and her lips pursed tightly amongst each other. Your eyes widened as you realised how similar she looked to you. It wasn't an exact carbon copy but she really did looked like you in a flash. She had a huge matte forehead just like yours, her neck was really long as it reflected onto the sharp jawline just like yours, her eyes were like a cat's where it looked magnificently gorgeous by potraying her small eyelids were just like yours. And lastly was her lips - her apple like lips that would be gracefully pulled to a sweet smile, the ends of her lips would be thin and long just like yours. The facial features of herself were similar to yours too and you didn't know how you should be feeling at that point. You felt relief but yet fear took over the emotion in a split moment without you knowing it yourself. Your heart stopped when you read the next line. It was something you didn't expect to read it yourself. There, it stated with black and bold letters indicating that she was Missing In Action. Daehyun saw your hesitation and he was puzzled for a moment. His eyebrows furrowed, his teeth biting his lower lip as he saw the fear that gradually took over your calmed face. "So?" Youngjae questioned. Slowly yet calmingly, your face returned to it's original state but with a much happier glow to it. "My grandmother is still here. She's still alive." You said shortly. Daehyun saw your slight glow to your face as he then smiled unknowingly too. "Chaerin.." Daehyun mumbled under his breath as you turned to face him, realising that he was reading through the profile. You scanned the screen again and this time you saw it, her name - your grandmother. It was Chaerin and nothing else.

         Anxiety grew even further after knowing these informations and it was a good headstart for you.  "But do you know how to track the address?" You voiced out, sounding a little squeaky and small. Youngjae nodded as he took a seat, continue working on the computer. His fingers were furiously tapping onto the keyboard as fast as anybody else was even able to do it. His eyebrows would knit together with full concentration. "It's around the town area." Daehyun called out from your shoulder as you leaned nearer to the desk, keeping your eye onto the screen and reading the directed address. In an instant, your eyes flashed to Daehyun and you thought he might have the same thought as you do - it was as if the both of you had the same idea running through your empty mind. Slowly brushing off the dusts from your jeans and getting ready to leave, you cleared your throat and thanked Youngjae. "Thanks Youngjae." Youngjae had his lips pressed once again as he gave a really genuine and sweet smile, his rosy cheekbones standing out like delicious looking fishballs. Daehyun followed right behind you, trying to match your pace with his.

         Out of the blue, he grabbed you gently by the sleeve as he tugged onto it, slowly allowing you to turn your body and face him. Daehyun was so up close to you as you could smell the cologne that lingered around his whole body - a slight citrus and a mixture of floral scent to it which doesn't seem too overbearing and instead, suttle. His eyes bore into yours as he had his lips pursed tightly. "Are you sure about this?" His voice turned huskier and you could hint the serious tone that he had to it.

         "Yes, I'm really sure." You replied, bobbing your head up and down eagerly as Daehyun nodded suit, agreeing with you. With that, the both of you were off to the directed address. Your legs were dragging yourself as faster than any of the pedestrians in the area. Your heart thumped furiously like a cheetah and you can feel the adrenaline inside of you pumping as fast too. Daehyun wasn't far away, huffing and puffing through the crowd as he tried to cover up the pace between each of you. Walking and pushing through the crowd, you would turn your head swiftly to the back making sure Daehyun wasn't out of sight. "Here, we're almost there." Daehyun spoke as he looked over to the small white note that he had on his grip and led you to another huge crowd through the town. You could almost feel yourself getting congested by the crowd that was almost squishing your entire small body, trying to stick out your neck and letting yourself breathe. It was as if you were just a small toddler walking through the town alone, being pushed around in the crowd by other huge human beings that might even look like ridiculous giants. Of course due to the whole crowd that was packed like sardines, you lost Daehyun. You started breaking out in cold sweat because you didn't know where you were heading to and you were basically all alone again which feared you the most. You called Daehyun, forcing out the words from your throat and hoping that he would somehow respond you. With all the crowd pushing and putting their weight against you, you can barely move anymore. You tried pushing your way out but it was a huge failure.

         It somehow felt like huge currents were overtaking your small body and letting you crash away from the shore that seemed like miles away. You couldn't stop yourself from calling Daehyun, yelping loudly which rose huge question marks and furrowed eyebrows from the other pedestrians in the crowd. With full force, soft and velvet-like hands were wrapped around your thin wrists, jolting you awake and pulling you towards the source. Your eyes widened and it kept pulling you away from the crowd. After what seemed like a few seconds, you were finally freed from the ridiculously congested crowd. "Hey, you okay back there?" Daehyun let go of your wrist as he panted, wiping off invisible sweats from his matte forehead. You nodded, your dry lips and trying to recover your steady breathing. "I thought I lost you. Are we there yet?" You questioned as Daehyun nodded, leading you the way again and this time you tried your very best to catch up with his pace and determined to not get lost again.

         Turning to the sharp corner, a tall apartment came into sight which Daehyun pointed out was the right address. The building was fairly tall - only 4 storeys high - it had a light brown paint to it with a cemented wall. You walked up the front stairs and entered the huge clear glass door that made it seemed like a luxurious hotel. The both of you then took the elevator to the third level which was believed was where your grandmother lived. The interior of the building seemed to still be in a good condition - the walls of the hallway still fully painted and the wooden floors freshly varnished. "This one?" You pointed out to the nearest door after exiting the elevator. Daehyun nodded as he stood beside you, raising his fist and attempting to knock onto the door. With just three consecutive knocks on the door, it opened up revealing a young woman who had a long honey brown voluptous hair. She seemed way too young to be your own grandmother. "May I help you?" She squeaked, letting out her high pitched voice and raising her high eyebrows with curiosity. You glanced to Daehyun as the both of you exchanged confused stares. "By any chance, is your name Chaerin?" Daehyun asked politely as the young woman quickly denied, shaking her head furiously as her calmed face slowly turned to a scrunched up, furrowed eyebrows. "Do you need something? Please, just come in first." She opened the door wider, allowing the both of you to enter. Her house was furnished with the basic necessities as it was decorated with a slightly darker brown wallpaper all around the corner of the room.

         Without hesitation, she fumbled her way to the other room where you guessed was the kitchen and hurried back with two clear cups of water, placing it on top of a glass table top. "Who were you looking for again?" The woman asked again, this time her voice was full of curiosity. Daehyun repositioned himself in his seat as he cleared his throat, "Chaerin. We believed that she is living here, in your own apartment." He swiftly handed over the piece of note to her as she read through the address, confirming by herself and making sure that there were no mistakes. "This is my address but nobody lives here by the name of Chaerin except for me." She stated, handing back the piece of note to Daehyun.

         You shared glances with Daehyun as your thoughts were tied into a knot amongst each other, unable to process what she had just said. "But I do know that there was a former owner who was named Chaerin too but I'm not sure if she stayed in this apartment before I did." Upon hearing what she said, both of your backs perched upwards as your eyes widened, slowly moving to the edge of the chair and anticipate the next sentence she was going to say.

 

firstly, i apologise for the crappy poster work

^ you can basically know that i'm not all fancy in editing

thank you for all the comments & feedbacks, i enjoyed reading them!