038

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 38

 

     As usual, the bell at the corner of the door rang continuously without rest. You let out a sigh, the café was ridiculously packed with customers. It was unlike any other day – the queue was too long that it had almost reached the stairs of the entrance to the café. The workers had to put in more effort to attend to every single customer. There you were, running around the café – trying to squeeze through everybody to get to the other side of the hallway.

         Thank god you were not wearing any heels. As the hours go by, the crowd started decreasing and you were grateful enough to have a half day off. Your mind was frazzled as you started walking down the familiar street. Your speed started to increase and you were anxious to meet Daehyun. Of course, he was still bedridden and was in coma but this never ending excited feeling continues to creep inside your body. You started missing him just after a few hours of work.

         Soon, the familiar white building came into view and you fasten your pace. The usual medicine smell filled the whole area as you scrunched your nose upwards. Taking the elevator to the third floor, you quickly pushed open the wooden oak door that was as if inviting you in. Daehyun was still lying down restlessly on his stiff bed – his eyes still closed shut – while his chest was heaving up and down continuously. You set your one piece coat onto the chair and sat right beside him, sliding your fingers and interlacing with his. “Hey, how are you?” You asked, fiddling with his fingers that were much warmer than before.

         You tried making conversations with him, talking about your whole day at work and how the weather was out there eventhough you knew he would not possibly answer you. But you knew that he was listening to the one-sided conversation that you were having. You wanted him to know that you were here for him. “It’s pretty cold, don’t you think?” You rubbed your palms together while moving to the other side of the room and increasing the temperature of the air-conditioner.

         Your eyes were always stuck onto Daehyun’s face, scrutinizing every bit of his imperfections. Honestly, everything about Daehyun was perfect. You could not deny that. His face that might slightly wrinkle looked beautiful as ever. Your eyes then travelled towards his cheeks. You missed the dashing smile that he would always give off. The pearly whites that he would show off never failed to give you a slight tingle in your stomach. Other than that, you also missed his laugh that was incredibly loud yet calming to hear. Everything about him was perfect and you never thought that you would be living without all of his perfection. You held his hand tighter, you did not want to lose him.

         Your eyes then travelled towards his plump lips. Oh how you missed that slight tingle you had when his lips touched yours. You could still remember vividly the way he tilted his head to kiss you at your weak spot and how the kiss was incredibly slow yet passionate.

         You gazed at him again. You need him. You need him to stay alive. You need him to stay beside you to tell you that everything was alright. To be frank, you were already at your limits of giving up everything and just leave Daehyun because the results clearly said that he might have a loss of memory. He might even forget about you. So what was the whole point of you staying anyways? As soon as Daehyun wakes up from his coma, he will not even recognise your face.

         But no, you were not going to leave him. That would be selfish and you did not want to be selfish. After everything Daehyun had done for you, you wanted to do the same. You wanted him to know that you were trying your best to stay alive. You wanted him to know that you could not simply live without him. He was your everything and you will do anything to stay beside him, telling him that everything would be alright. You wanted to give him the love that he deserved.

         You held his hand as tight as you could. “Hey, I miss you..” You muttered under your breath, letting out a sigh. “Everything is not the same as before.”

         Nothing was the same actually. Everytime you came back home to Daehyun’s house, the apartment would be painstakingly empty and quiet. You never liked it because it felt so sad and mournful. Without having the presence of Daehyun in the house, it was not as exciting as before. Sure, sometimes you want to be alone but never have you felt this lonely before. You knew that Daehyun was somewhat your happy pill and now that he is unconscious and never at home, it was hard for you to crack a smile. Everything just felt so wrong.

         Out of a sudden, Daehyun’s fingers twitched. You squinted your eyes towards his hands again, trying to convince yourself that you might be imagining things. But no, you were right. It was moving. Right when his fingers started moving, you could hear a low grunt escaping from Daehyun’s lips. You let out a shriek, your head was pounding against your chest and you were too shocked to do anything. Daehyun let out another grunt and you held his hand, sliding your finger into his fluffy hair. “Daehyun? Hang in there okay, I’m calling the doctor.” Taking your slender legs out of the door, you hollered for the doctor and nurses. “Miss, you have to wait here.” One of the nurse stopped you from entering as you tried to tip-toe to catch a glimpse of Daehyun in the ward.

         “What? No, let me in please!” You retaliated. The nurse held you by the arm firmly to prevent you from entering. Your mind was frazzled as you walked to and fro the hallway. This cannot be happening, you thought. A sense of joy washed over your entire body. You bit your lower lip and waited in anxiety. As soon as the doctor came out from the room, you bombarded him with numerous questions. “Is he okay?” Slowly, the doctor pushed his stethoscope inside his pocket and pursed his lips tightly.

         “He is alright now. As you can see, he is already awake from his coma. Unfortunately, he has a slight loss in memory.” The doctor said as he pressed his palms amongst each other. Your smile dropped into a tight frown while you nodded unwillingly. “Don’t be too discouraged, soon he will recollect his memory.” He gave you a light pat on the back before moving off to the other rooms to check on his patients. You held the doorknob tightly, contemplating whether you should meet him or not. You had the urge to barge in and immediately throw yourself onto Daehyun but you had to restrain yourself. You were slightly afraid now that he had claimed to have a memory loss.

         You let out a frustrated sigh, you had to meet him. After 3 long months of not hearing his voice or laughter, you were at the edge of dying. You gently pushed open the wooden door and immediately saw the beautiful angel resting upon the bed – now with his eyes wide open. You let out a tight smile, “Hey, how’re you doing?” Daehyun fidgeted in his bed and let out his charming smile which you had always admired. “Fine, I guess.” His voice turned out to be slightly huskier than before. You took a seat right beside him and tears started to well up onto the brims of your eyes. Daehyun repositioned himself on the bed and furrowed his eyebrows towards your direction.

         He bit his lower lip and pressed his eyelids shut amongst each other before letting out a slight whince. Slowly opening up his mouth, he then said. “I’m sorry, but who are you exactly?”