014

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 14 // THE ORDEAL

 

     As you entered the large clear glass door, your eyelids fluttered open instantly as the rich fragance of coffee filled your nostrils. It warmed your entire lungs, sniffing in the aroma endlessly. Taking your slender legs to the counter, you took a seat on one of the tall bar stools. The café was busy engaging their customers with their lunch meals, waitress and waiters moving from one table to the other to get hectic orders non stop. Your eyes wandered, lips pursed into a hard line and forehead slighty wrinkling as you looked through the menu list that was placed on top of the counter. Digging your almost frozen hands into your pocket, you managed to fish out a few sheets of thin paper and coins. Looking back at the menu, you nodded slowly and placed the money on top of the counter table. "One Dirty Chai Latte please." You said, handing over the full amount of the beverage to the waiter's palm.

        The waiters dressed in a classic white button down that was covered with a black vest to define their body shape even more. You didn't really noticed much on their appearance the first time you came to this place with Daehyun and now you thought that it looked more like a restaurant rather than a café.The waiter that attended to you had beads of sweat formed on his creased forehead, wetting almost half of his face. His frown turned into a sweet smile that defined his deep dimples as he nodded to whatever you had ordered earlier on. Fiddling with the extra coins you had left in your grip, you waited patiently for your coffee to be done but something bothered you. The back of your hair stood up slightly, giving you small cold shivers down your spine as you felt that someone was looking at you; or more specifically, staring at you. You didn't want to turn your head to the back or to the side but it bothered you to the point that it made you feel uncomfortable. From the end of your eye, you could figure out that there was a guy in his mid 30s scrutinizing your features intently.  Glancing slightly to your left, you could barely make out his physical features. He had a slightly tousled light brown hair that was almost dyed into a dark caramel undertone, while his face was slightly wizened with creases forming naturally mostly on his forehead and sides of his face. He had a beard that was not too exaggerating and defined - the kind that would basically swallow their whole face - but it made him look like those well built middle aged guys back in the countryside that would blow into their cigars in their trucks. He was wearing a red flannel button down that was slightly sheer enough to see his tanned muscles that stood out. There was a huge sense of déjà vu that washed over you after staring intently to the guy's features. You really couldn't put a finger onto it which frustrated you the most but you could have sworn you felt that you had experience the same churning of the stomach, goosebumps that rise instantly as you felt his stare burning through you. He felt mysterious but mostly intimidating.

        "Here you go miss." The waiter interrupted you as you received the warm coffee that seemed as if you had waited for it for too long. You placed your lower lip onto the tip of the cup, nervously tilting it upwards as the liquid glided down your tight gullet. Taking another sip, you took the chance to glance to the guy awhile ago and realised he wasn't there anymore. You slowly sipped the coffee bit by bit before going off to the ladies. Entering the narrow alley that had yellow spotlights placed on the ceiling, giving the impression as a fashion runway rather than a ordinary hallway. You were oblivious to the surrounding before something hit you on the shoulder hard. Looking up, a shadow that had broad shoulders and chest overcast yours, with eyes that bore into your soul. 

        Your eyes that were slightly droopy suddenly turned into round ones as your pupils shook a little looking at the familiar guy before you. He was the guy who was staring intently at you before but this time, he looked even more intimidating as it made you feel smaller apart from the huge difference of body size. He leaned in further to your face as his back arched a little outwards, squinting his eyes as he took a really close look at your face. Your legs couldn't budge at all; heck, you couldn't even feel them. He let out a deep and raspy growl under his breath as he diverted his gaze somewhere else, walking back to the dining area as his huge tendons and muscles contrasted - as if threatening you. Washing your hands thoroughly, you could still feel the presence of the chilly quiver running down your whole body. As you walked out of the ladies room to the dining area, you caught the site of the guy who was by now huddling among a few more blurry men. They were all well built and had a very menacing stare that could possibly scare anybody if they were to look into their eyes. You felt uneasy on wanting to pass by the huge group but you mustered your courage, taking your skinny legs forward one in front of the other. Your clammy hands were dugged deep into the pockets of your coat while grasping the insides of it, making it sweat even more. You walked past the group of guys which you were sure that more than 3 pairs of eyes were actually scrutinizing your back, not wanting to leave your sight even after you have sat down on your seat.

        Hands sweating, you slowly took a hold of the cup of coffee - that had turned slightly cold after leaving it there for a few minutes - and drank it slowly, careful enough not to let your shivering hands give way. The previous waiter had his eyes on you as there was a slight worriedness hidden in it. You looked around the whole area, trying to distract yourself from the whole staring contest when your eyes laid on a small white sheet of paper that was sticked onto the wall but hidden right behind a few stacks of coffee cups.

        With dark and bold letters, it said 'Hiring Waiters/Waitresses'

        Your eyes lit up like those decorative Christmas lights around the Christmas tree as you slowly set down the cup of coffee you were holding on to. Making sure that you read the right thing, your eyes passed through each word; or alphabet thoroughly one by one. "Er excuse me, is there still a vacant spot for waitresses?" You pointed to the notice that was sticked to the wall, raising a brow to the waiter as he turned to the direction. You hoped so hard that there were still a vacant spot because you needed to find a job so badly. The waiter slowly turned his head back to you as his dimples could be vividly seen again while his head bobbed up and down, flashing his dashing mega-watt smile at you. Your eyes rounded as you cheered inside your heart. "Are you interested?" He spoke, handling a cup of coffee on one hand and a jug on the other. His voice was surprisingly much more softer than what you expected it to be by judging from his slighty fierce and charismatic appearance. His eyes would crease instantly as he would smile, passing the cup of coffee to the customer. You nodded slowly while sipping onto the untouched coffee. "I've been finding jobs these days but it's not my luck."

        The waiter let out a chuckle, turning his back on you while he was preparing for another order coming from the customer that was waiting from the other side of the counter. "Well maybe now is your chance. The interview would probably be held a few days from now." He held the metallic jug on his right hand as it tilted upwards, the thick and creamy white liquid slowly flowing down the tip of the jug as he decorated the hot chocolate with a few swirls of the liquid and ended it with a heart in the middle. Your eyes followed the swirls that he made, obviously fascinated by the skill that he had showed. "Just come down, you'll have a huge chance of getting it." He continued on, placing the drink on the tray and handing it to his other colleague while wiping his hands on the white towel that was placed inside the pocket of his apron. He then took out a mini notepad and pen under the counter, placing it right in front of you. Your eyes travelled to the patent black name tag on his vest that had vibrant and rich gold fonts on it.

        "Jaebum.." Your words slipped out unintentionally when you were reading his name. His eyebrows rosed as he looked to the direction that you were also looking up. His slightly hoarse chuckle filled your ears as he scratched the back of his head. "That's my name. Now just write your name here if you're confirmed on taking this job." He handed you both the notepad and blue pen. Your face flushed red in embarrassment as he acknowledged his name. You delicately wrote your name onto the smooth surface as Jaebum stood right in front of you, leaning in further to catch a glimpse of your name. "Hyemi?" He muttered as you nodded slowly, passing him back the paper. "That's a pretty name." He admitted, his cheekbones rose up instantly. You only bit your inner cheek and muttered a thanks under your breath. You took a last sip on the coffee that had turned colder and got ready to get back home. "You're coming to the interview right?" Jaebum interrupted your thoughts as he was cleaning the counter. You placed your purse back inside your deep pockets as you nodded, showing a small smile that was not really visible. Jaebum flashed his smile, "See you then!" He exclaimed, waving at you before you turned your back on him to walk to the front, clear door.

        As you turned, you realised the group of guys who had their deadly stares on you were still there. You avoided their gaze but it didn't left you feel comfortable but instead, it made you feel even uneasy. Fastening your pace and making your way out of the door, you did not want to turn at all because you could still feel the stares on you that would perch up the hairs on your skin. You felt free - not as tight as before when their stares lingered around your body, not allowing you to breathe freely - as soon as you were out into the busy area. You passed through the congested crowd as the human traffic turned out to be much more horrible as you expected it to be. You dragged your legs slowly back at home as the noise coming from the traffic and your damp shoes accompanied you throughout the whole journey.

        The sounds of honks and the heavy traffic filled your eardrums as your foot followed the rythm of the noise. Your mind was distracted during the whole journey back home. You couldn't resist but to think about the guy from the café and how scary-looking he was. The group that he was huddled amongst each other were well built and burly, even more taller than you as it gave you the impression that they were somehow giants. It frightened you how his face would come into the picture from nowhere, the ends of his mouth would be tugged into a crooked smile. It was simply disturbing and terrifying. He had that face of danger since his stares would always be deadly. Every now and then, you would swiftly turn around when you heard a slight crunch of leaves under the shoe, having the insticts that someone was following you.

        A huge possibility that the guys were tailing you back home but you would quickly brush it off, thinking it was just your mentality and they were just strangers who don't know you. Or do they know you?

        You let out a small huff as you set foot on the lawn of the pale pink house. Turning the doorknob, the beautiful scent instantly filled your nose as you gulped down your saliva. The satisfying smell of freshly baked pastries lingered around the whole house as you moaned a little. You saw the familiar back, slowly pacing around in the kitchen and carefully not to stain the white apron. "Hyemi, I made early dinner." Anthea's honey-like yet slightly hoarse voice called out as she showed her wizened smile when you were about to walk up the stairs. You watched as she raised her brow, persuading to join in. You shrugged your slumped shoulders, "I'm not hungry. I'll eat when I am." You replied, showing a small smile and hoping that she bought the excuse. Anthea nodded and went rushing back into the kitchen while you walked up the creaking staircase. You threw the layers of jacket and hoodie to the other side of the room as you took the chance to land on the soft, cloudy mattress beneath you. You shut your eyelids for a moment, taking a rest but the vivid pictures of the guy tends to slip in.

        Your eyelids shot open as you can clearly visualize his posture right in front of you, wearing the same red flannel from before and denim washed pants together with his beaten sneakers. You shivered eventhough there wasn't even any wind that seeped through the cracks of your window but because fear was dugging deep into your skin. It stunned you to see how real he was as he had that crooked smile that was tugged to the end of his mouth and his fist balled up to the side of his body. His eyes stared at you menacingly as it sent electric currents through your whole body, boring into your soul. The way he set his ferocious eyes on you made you broke out in cold sweat. Your legs and hands went completely numb - muscles tightened and screaming out loud, toes curling with full force - eventhough you tried to shake off the panic that strickened you a moment ago. It was as if you were bedridden. He was still there as his tanned body seemed to be much darker, terrifying while the gold glinting slightly in his eyes made you feel unsafe. There you were, lying down on the cold mattress and unable to move a single inch of your body. Your eyes were still set on the white wall before you when he vanished into the thin air, leaving only the misty atmosphere. Finally your muscles relaxed as you slowly rested your head onto the pillow. Your heart thumped uncontrollably as you continued sweating like a mad person after running one whole block.

        Closing your eyes for a second, you weren't able to process whatever that had happened just now. You couldn't understand why he would bother your thoughts so vividly that it made you feel he was too dangerous eventhough you didn't even know him. The way he arched his eyebrows upwards gave you endless chills down your spine and leaving your dry throat unable to let out any words. As soon as you shut your eyelids, you were fatigued enough to doze off too easily.

        That was when the nightmare begins.

        It wasn't the normal nightmare that you had been having previously and instead, this was more.. terrifying than usual. You were walking around aimlessly around the enormous patch of grass not knowing what you were supposed to do but then your speed increased, your long legs guiding you forward. You were running, but from who? The panic that struck you made you feel anxious as you ran around the whole area foolishly. The mixture of orange and red sky was slowly replaced with a darker and eerie atmosphere. You were still running and before you knew it, you fell into a deep hole. It was so deep that no impact came about eventhough you were hoping for it to slam your body hard. Your throat was tight and dry as nothing dared to come out from it. Your voice was so hoarse that even if you did scream, it was swallowed by the wooshing sounds of the wind passing through as it fought with the gravity that was pulling down into the deep hole even further, faster and you could feel the pits of your stomach tied into a tight knot.

 

lol forget abt the poster cause i didn't hve the time to do for this chap

hope you guys like it! 

subscribe, comment & upvote pls c: