023

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 23 // TORMENTED

( A/N : Some cursing here & there. Read at your own risk.)

 

     "Ready?" You turned, facing Daehyun and took your purse from under the counter. He shrugged, popping his collar upwards in a sarcastic way. "Always am." You shook your head, laughing by yourself as you took your shift card to end your shift for the day. After finishing the last minute changes, you waved goodbye to Jaebum as he lit up and showed his pearly whites at you. Before leaving through the huge glass door, you turned to look at the previous seat where the mysterious guy and his other friends were seated at but they were gone in a flash. You furrowed your eyebrows, it was unusual for them to finish their beverage and leave the place that fast. "You alright?" Daehyun called out from the front as he held out the door for you, his eyes wide open and his voice asking with full concern. You nodded, tightening your grip onto your purse and followed him through the bustling crowd yet again.

         The fresh, misty air from the surroundings filled your lungs as you scanned everywhere around you. Pedestrians from every side of the traffic took their long legs to the other side of the pavement, hurling their extended arms to call out the moving cabs along the bustling roads. Some were even walking leisurely around the whole town, holding their shopping bags in their grip and entering each store with a wide smile plasted onto their face. As you took the fresh air, it felt somewhat like a cure for you as you saw the different walks of life bustling through the crowded traffic but still looking as ecstatic as ever. As you then diverted your gaze to the front, you saw Daehyun who had his signature smile flashed across your eyes. His eyes twinkled and his whole body glowed among the whole crowd, like an angel. The way the ends of his eyes would crinkle by itself when he smiled was so angelic and his puffy cheeks would rise up, instantly made you feel at ease. When he smiled, it's as if everything turned so bright and you would feel calmed again. You felt good about it and you would definitely want to see him smile every now and then, it was as if his mood was complementary to yours. "Oh look, there's some carnival going on!" Daehyun called out, pointing to the bustling road as you tip toed, your chin lifted by itself to get a view of it.

         It was true, there were at least five different floating platforms tailing one another, going to the same direction. The whole street immediately lit up by itself from the sparkling LED lights coming from the floating platforms and upbeat songs that allowed your heart to race can be heard from a distance. You were stuck in the crowd and again, you tried to make good use of the stairs that you were standing on, tip toeing once again to catch the sight of the once in a lifetime scene. There were a bunch of performers standing right on top of the floating platform, dressed in dazzling yet unique costumes as some of them even cosplayed the character from the movies and it intruiged you to see how courageous they were to perform. One by one of the sparkly floating platform moved through the cleared street, waving to the passerbys and even passing some souveniers to the others before driving off. "What carnival was that?" You scuffled through the crowd, trying your best to follow up Daehyun's pace as fast as you could.

         Turning around, he saw how you were stranded among two well built men as he chuckled to himself, biting his inner cheek and trudging his way towards you to pull you by the sleeves. After Daehyun successfully got you out of the sardine tin, you grunted and let out a huge sigh of relief while holding your palm to your chest, panting as if you had just ran the whole block. "You really should be careful out here, you're too small to be noticed." He pointed out the obvious as you narrowed your eyes at him, slowly trying to bore the back of his head with your fiery gaze. Rolling your eyes, you then retorted, "Don't change the topic." Daehyun let out his hearty laugh that filled your ears instantly, his eyes sparkling before yours. You flashed your lashes, rolling your eyes in annoyance. He then shrugged slowly, "They have something like this every year, to spread happiness through everybody in the city." You widened your eyes, nodding to whatever that he said. It was really alluring how they were able to create such simple thoughts or ideas and eventually make it into an extraordinary project that would involve everyone in the whole city. Indeed with the bright lights and different upbeat songs followed by the performers who never failed to impress people with their antiques and joyful self, they did spread happiness throughout the people in the city, including you.

         With that, you decided to roam around the whole city before moving to find the last and final address. There were not much places to go but both of you linked thoughts together to have some fresh air in the park. There was just something about the park that gave you an airy atmosphere - literally - and allowed yourself to indulge in a much calmer perspective. You felt refreshed again every time you saw the different characteristics that engulfed you with different emotions. The light breeze that would sweep through the tangles of your hair tickled your neck too in which you found it to be the most calming thing ever. Right after visiting the park, you decided to get a roll on finding the address since the sun was just about to set.

         Again, Daehyun led the way while you trudged behind him, huffing and puffing but pushing on to the journey. As the both of you were walking, you realised that the area which you were in was so familiar. The brick red building that was placed right opposite the street reminded you of the mornings in which you would travel through the nearby alley and travel to work. The place was so familiar that you thought that something might be wrong. As soon as Daehyun turned the sharp corner of the pavement, you could see the bustling street and tall buildings - which was near to your house - that overcasted the dark shadows. Walking just a few more miles up the hill, Daehyun then stopped to a halt as he turned to you with a slightly shock expression that drew confusions to your face.

         As you saw his mouth opening bit by bit and his eyes that grew wider, you furrowed your eyebrows as the wrinkles started forming onto your forehead. He slowly handed you the piece of note that contained the different addresses and cleared his throat. "This is it." He claimed, pointing to the front. You turned your head to the front and sure enough, your mouth was agape too and your eyes grew wider bit by bit. Your heart thumped faster than a cheetah and you could feel the beads of sweat forming onto your forehead as some of them trickled down to the sides of your face. You gulped down the saliva but you were still rooted in your spot. You were stunned watching the house before your eyes.

         It was your own rented house. It was Anthea's house.

         You couldn't control your wild emotions as your legs reacted faster than your mind, screaming at you to barge into the door and fly up the creaking staircase. You did as you were told and your adrenaline pounded faster every single second. It was as if you were running for dear life and you had never ran this fast in your entire life. You pushed open the door as it welcomed you with the empty and lifeless living room. Your eyes instantly shot up to the creaking staircase as you rushed towards it, your feet stomping as loud as it can while you rushed to Anthea's room - specifically your biological grandmother's room. All these while, your own grandmother that you had been finding for was right beside you. The wise old woman that would serve you a gourmet meal never failed to make you comfortable and you were definitely blessed to have her. But having to see how she broke down the day before broke your heart, knowing that your own flesh and blood was experiencing something so cruel like that.

         The vivid images came flashing through your mind as you remembered the times that she shared with you when you were little, the times that she made it seemed so timeless. The way her touch glided onto your skin - her fingers warmly rubbing your back - was so vivid and you never thought it would be forgotten. The way her prune-like lips would slowly pull a small smile at the end made your heart flutter. She seemed so wise that when you saw her breaking down, it was almost hard to believe that she was already reaching her limits. Every moment that you spent with her felt so peaceful and you were loved. She never failed to neglect you - taking care of you every single time with full effort. If only you knew earlier that she was your own grandmother, you would have cherished her more than you already had. Daehyun came running behind your tail, flying up the stairs two at a time as he saw how anxious you were.

         You dashed through the hallway and as soon as you saw her room, your gaze onto her door was locked while you barged it open with full force. She wasn't there. Your eyes scrunitized the whole room, searching high and low for her but she was nowhere to be found. You panted, adrenaline pounding even more as you searched the other rooms. She wasn't in the bathroom either. It was definitely weird for her to be out at this hour since she had never went out alone. Right then, you went to your bedroom hoping to see her graceful figure seated onto your bedsheet. False hope, she wasn't there either.

         Your anxiousness turned into worry as your mind triggered by itself, the words that slurred of her tongue the previous day rang through your head. "They found me and they're going to get me."

         Your mind was jumbled out with other thoughts as you could feel your chest tightening by itself and your stomach was tied into a tight knot. You didn't like how you were feeling and it made you want to puke. Your expressions changed as your eyeballs were then widened by every minute, your lips trembling by itself and you could feel how much you were shivering eventhough it wasn't cold. "She's not here?" Daehyun questioned, following your pace as he panted slightly. Your lips were still trembling and you felt yourself breaking out in cold sweat. You realised how your eyes were starting to water and your heart felt uncomfortable. You then made your way to the kitchen, trying to make sure that she wasn't in there. From the corner of your eyes as you were standing in the kitchen, you saw a group of men huddled amongst themselves while holding someone in the middle. You couldn't see properly since the sun was setting and the atmosphere turned dark. You turned slightly, your lips trembled even more as you saw the group of men being aggressive to the woman. Your heart stopped and your mind froze.

         You felt your own heartbeat slowing down and the cold sweat trickled down from your matte forehead. You bit your inner cheek and it seemed like the time had stopped, you weren't able to move a single inch. Your heart thumped by itself and your muscles were cramping, your tongue was tied tightly till you were unable to let out a single word.

         It was Anthea. The woman was Anthea herself. Your own biological grandmother.

         "Hyemi..?" Daehyun called out, tapping your shoulder but you couldn't even react to him. You then saw her bright smile flashing before your eyes and her hearty laugh that was like music to your ears. You felt the cold shudder ran down your spine sharply, as if tormenting your back. Her mega-watt smile couldn't be seen anymore as you saw how much she was struggling, begging for her dear life to be set free. Your heart ached when you saw how the men tried to shut her up by aggresively placing a rag right into . All of them who had their grip onto her arm sneakily went into the narrow alley in between the building as the others became the lookout. Then, you could hear yourself breathing rapidly and your muscles relaxed by themselves, your tightened chest exhaled all the air inside your lungs.

         "Anthea!!" You screamed, the veins on your throat became prominent from the pressure that you exerted. Daehyun was taken aback as he saw you running out of the house and to the opposite street. He was befuddled and didn't know what was happening but he knew that he had to follow you. And so he did, dashing across the street and followed your steps, right into the narrow alley.

         Your legs pushed you further, running to her as you saw that they were not that far and you didn't want to stop. You shouldn't stop. You heard Daehyun hollering your name from behind but you didn't bothered to turn, your mind was fixed onto Anthea and her safety. You saw how ruthless the men were as they threw her down to the side like a ragged doll, tying her hands to the back using a rough rope. The whole journey through the narrow alley seemed like eternity, you bolted towards her direction but felt as if it was a few kilometres away from you. But you didn't lose hope as you pursuit in the direction, taking all your energy to confront the group of men. A few different feelings engulfed your own body and you felt so miserable. Anxiousness grew as your chest tightened by itself which then changed into worry, your heart aching and your legs pushing even further due to curiousness. "Anthea!!!!" You bellowed again and this time, you knew she heard your cry as she lifted up her head to reveal her red and swollen eye whuch had damped her cheeks. Her eyes widened by themselves and she looked as if she was overwhelmed by her own feelings.

         The group of men swiftly turned their head to your direction as you halted to a stop, allowing yourself to catch a breath. Anthea started screaming out incoherent words but they were blocked by the ragged cloth that was placed right into . Two men took their position right beside Anthea to guard her while the other came to confront you, their broad shoulders threatening you to leave. Your eyes were then locked onto the one in the middle, his stare was furious and he was growling like a mad dog under his breath. He had a thick beard and his menacing stare that frightened you triggered you to remember that he was the similar guy which you bumped onto in your workplace. He was the one behind all of the threaten and it disgusted you. He steadily ambled beside you, his shoulders hitting onto yours and you heard him growled again under his breath.

         You heard him in a huge breath while you shivered, your pupils trembling in shock. "You smell nice." He pointed out, his deep and husky voice sent shivers down your spine. Your teeth chattered by themselves and your fingers also shook uncontrollably. "I believe we met, didn't we? So what brought you here?" He handed out his forefinger as he slowly placed it onto your right cheek, grazing small shapes onto it soothingly. His touch was cold and it made you shiver. You were terrified by him but you tried to muster your courage. "Who the are you?" You snapped, biting your lower lip in result to prevent your lips from trembling. His eyes widened while he let out a deep, terrifying chuckle. "Ooo, we have a badass here." The other men that were standing before you whom had their arms to their chest managed to sneak in a small smirk at the end of their mouth.

         From the deep chuckle that you heard then changed to a low grunt, yet again. "Do you know this ?" He questioned, leaning his head to your ear as you heard his deep voice rang through your ear. You kept your mouth shut, biting your inner cheek and trying your best not to let out a definite scream. You were quivering and you felt that your brittle legs would collapse anytime. He growled under your breath, his teeth gritted amongst each other. In a matter of seconds, his hand rose up to catch your long neck in between his grip while he pushed you to the wall right behind. Your throat was tightened by his grip and you could feel your breath slowing down but your heart pounded as fast as it could. You held his hand and begged for dear life. "S-she's... my.... gr-grandm-mother," You stuttered, slowly trying to get the words right and he successfully threw you down to the cold floor. From the look of his furious eyes, he seemed merciless but you didn't have the strength to fight him back. 

         Meanwhile, Daehyun had his back stuck onto the corner of the pillar as he tried to eavesdrop the whole conversation. He leaned in to the small hole on the pillar as he saw how you were ruthlessly pushed to the wall, the man's grip crushing your throat. His eyes widened with anger as he saw how your legs were dangling from the ground, crying for help. His fist tightened, the veins on his wrists were shown prominently. You choked as soon as you fell to the cold stoned floor, hitting your chest to relieve the pain. Your eyes then diverted to Anthea as you saw the tears b onto the ends of her eyes and her wrists struggling to set free from the tight rope. 

         You took your brittle legs and crawled to her, coughing and hiccuping non stop while trying to get to her embrace. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry you had to go through all this.." You reached towards her waist, sliding your hands onto it and allowing her warmth to engulf your whole body. She wasn't able to feel you but she lowered her head, reaching to the crown of your head and smacking a kiss onto it. You turned swiftly, getting onto your knees once again and reached out for the man's slender legs. As you got closer, you could smell the musky scent that lingered around him and it disgust you.

         "Please let her go.. I'm begging you!" You cried out, your lips trembled miraculously and you could feel yourself tearing apart. He didn't have any sympathy at all and instead, he used his energy from the lower body to kick you away but you didn't gave up - getting back up onto your knees and continued begging him. Before you were able to continue saving Anthea, a loud smack was heard which was then followed by a whimper. Your eyes shot upwards as you saw one of the men falling weakly with his face forward. Within seconds, a dark shadow came bolting into action and you thought that it was the end.

 

aww it's  Busan Boy's birthday today! 

he tweeted that he read all the birthday mentions & letters

that meant senpai noticed me ;-;