037

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 37 // REMEMBER ME

 

     The air was still. As the night continued to sink in, everything seemed so sad. The curtains that were draping down the pane gave off a sad atmosphere. The only thing that made the room lit up – literally – was a bright yellow light coming from an antique lamp which was placed at the corner of the room.

         You sat on the armchair, resting your head that was wrapped with a thick layer of bandage onto your palm. You grimaced, the bandage was wrapped too tight around the upper part of your head but there was no way you were allowed to take it off. The nurse had scolded you before to not unwrap the bandage but you could not tolerate the throbbing pain. The digital clock that was rested onto the coffee table rang a little, indicating that it was already 2 in the morning.

         You let out a frustrating sigh. Thinking too much hurts your brain. Turning to the door, you saw the familiar blue black coat and dark navy pants. A huge ball of saliva was stuck in your throat and your tears started collecting onto the brims of your eye. His presence still lingered and you could definitely smell the strong hint of wood scent from his cologne. At 12.45, Ilsung was pronounced dead. You honestly could not explain how you felt. After all of the years that you had shared with him, he was now gone forever. You were not exactly happy, that was for sure.

         Your heart broke into a million pieces after hearing the news as soon as the doctors came out from the Intensive Care Unit. With the solemn look they had, the shook their head in disappointment and you knew what they were trying to say. After they had returned you Ilsung’s clothes and belongings, you were left alone in the abandoned hallway. There you were, huddling in one corner with your knees near your chest – sobbing uncontrollably like a toddler who had just lost her mother. Even after the hardships you had went through with Ilsung, it was no doubt that he was the most reliable man you had ever met.

         You grabbed his crisp coat, huddling it against your body and sniffing his cologne for the last time. “Please be safe..” You held out your hand towards Daehyun’s who was resting onto the hospital bed lifelessly.

         The doctors had informed you that Daehyun had a thin chance of surviving but luckily, he did. With the huge impact that he had after hitting the cold floor, it was told that he might have a slight fracture in his skull. You shivered, what if Daehyun would be paralysed when he woke up? Other than the fracture, there was a high chance that he would have a loss of memory as soon as he woke up from his coma.

         Everything was not going as you planned it to be. Never have you thought such incidents would have happen in your life. Upon hearing the news, you knew you had to start preparing yourself. You should not be having such high expectations and hoping that Daehyun would remember you. No doubt that he would. A sudden pain was felt right onto your chest. You had started liking Daehyun – no, maybe loving him was the right word – and then, this happened. All you ever wanted was the fairytale happy ending but this is just one of those rebound nightmares.

         Your eyelids fluttered lovingly as you stared onto Daehyun’s features which were now bruised and filled with scratches. Repositioning your seat, you slid your warm fingers into his and felt how his hand was so cold. His chest was heaving up and down which made you feel at ease, knowing that he was still alive.

         For the whole night, you stayed by his side and you were afraid of even blinking for a second, thinking that he would leave you in an instant. You needed him. You needed him to stay alive. He was your hope. You vowed to yourself that you would take care of him regardless of what situation he would be in.

         And during that moment only did you realised that you loved him. You loved Daehyun. It was not a mere ‘liking’ affection anymore. You were deeply in love with this guy and there was no way you would have the heart to leave him. He meant everything to you and losing him would mean losing your inner hope. For the whole evening there was no way you were able to slack in some sleep. You were too worried and anxious, thinking that he would be awake anytime.

         You followed the whole routine for weeks, waiting for him to wake up from his coma. Waking up in the morning, getting ready, going to work and rushing back to the hospital to take care of Daehyun. That was all you had to do. You barely had time to eat and sleep.

         Weeks after weeks – which became months – the whole routine continued yet again and you were finally getting sick and tired of it. Everytime you would end your work, your slender legs would carry you to the hospital in a rush, hoping that maybe there would be a miracle. But it never did, he never woke up.

         You sighed, you had to give in. You have to be more patient. You gazed at Daehyun and held his hands tightly, “I’m here for you so please don’t leave me.” You knew that Daehyun was listening to every word you were saying, he just could not respond to it.

         “Please, remember me….” 

 

sorry for the extremely short chapter but i thought i just needed to update

happy reading!