040

Flying Paper Airplanes

▲▼ CHAPTER 40

 

     “Here, let me do it.” You took the packets of food from the table and volunteered to throw it into the bin, slowly making your way towards the door. Looking at the empty packets of food, you smiled to yourself. Eventhough Daehyun was whining about how he disliked porridges, he finally did finished the entire bowl of food without any hesitation. Nobody can really stop that kid from eating too much. He would eat anything to satisfy his hunger, literally. As you entered the room, you saw Daehyun sitting up from his bed while he rubbed his belly. “When can I go home?” He questioned, letting out a frustrated sigh. “I hate this place.” You had to agree to his statement. Hospitals are such a drag and it felt like a prison. You hate it even more seeing the one that you cared the most being admitted in it.

         “The doctor said if you’re doing well then you might be able to leave tomorrow.” Daehyun’s eyes twinkled in the darkness and you saw the joyful expression that was plasted onto his face. You were excited, knowing that Daehyun was able to leave the hospital was definitely a good news. You could not wait to spend some quality time with him. By quality time meaning to try and help him recollect his old memories. You wanted Daehyun to remember what the both of you had so bad. You loved him and you could not have the heart to see him being alone – without knowing that you actually meant something to him. You knew it would take a lot of hard work to help him retrieve his memory but you would do anything to make him remember you. It may sound selfish but you were desperate. You did not know how long were you able to survive in this unconditional love.

         Every night before going to bed, you would always blame yourself over what had happened to Daehyun and Ilsung. If it was not because of you, everything that had happened would not have happened. Ilsung would not have died and Daehyun would still be beside you, holding you until you fall asleep and giving you all his love. Every night without fail, you would hear Daehyun’s voice calling you to save him. You would hear the last bits of his hearty laugh and you hated it, knowing that you could never hear that similar laugh that he shared with you. Not with anybody else, but you. You started loving him and you never wanted that feeling to vanish.

         You remembered how your love towards him had helped you to keep on living. Just a few months ago were you thinking of dying because you were not good enough for this world to look at. But as soon as Daehyun came into your life, he never did judged you for a single bit and he was proud enough to be the one helping you to find the word ‘happiness’.

         You can never put it into exact sentence how much you loved Daehyun. Everything about him was simply a dream. Apart from everything, you can never deny that he was your hope. In your case, he was hope. You saw him as an angel that would guide you through your demolished life. He was like any pure angel that told you to not give up. He saw all of your weaknesses as a chance for him to change it into something better. He was there to kiss your scars away. He was there to mend your broken and still, fragile heart. You could remember vividly how strong his cologne would smell as he held you tightly in between his arms, swinging you back and forth, telling you that the nightmares would soon go away.

         He was oddly brave and that was the reason why it made your heart flutter everytime you saw him. He was unlike any other guys, he was brave enough to step inside your life and mend everything eventhough he knew there would be hardships. You admired his braveness. You admired everything about him and you knew for now, he needed your help.

         The sun had already set and it was almost late at night. You were about to leave when Daehyun stopped you while he cleared his throat. “Where are you going?” His eyes twitched, innocently asking you. “Home.” You answered him shortly. A part of you wanted him to tell you to stay. You wanted to know if he wanted you to stay with him but you doubted. He had just met you – in his new perspective, of course – and there would be a thin chance that he would want you to stay. He  did not know you that much and you knew deep inside that he will not even have the thought of telling you to stay. Maybe he was not that brave enough to tell you. Afterall, he was not yet the Daehyun that you had met previously. He was the Daehyun that had woken up from coma, unaware about the whole world that was ahead of him. Daehyun bobbed his head up and down, acknowledging your statement and you turned the doorknob to leave the room.

         “Do you mind staying for the night?” You heard Daehyun calling out. You turned, your eyes scrutinizing his angelic face and eyebrows furrowed. He let out a tight smile, “With me. I mean, it’s okay if you can’t you know.” Your heart skipped a beat, knowing for sure that Daehyun had wanted you to stay. You were ecstatic and for once, everything felt the same. You felt as if you were with the Daehyun that you knew before. “Sure, I’ll stay.” You stated, putting down your coat onto the chair and sat onto the fluffy couch.

         “Are you serious? I.. Thank you.” He finally gave in, lowering his gaze and showing off his sweet smile which sent numerous fluttering butterflies inside your stomach. For the whole night, the both of you could not fall asleep. Daehyun was busy thinking about the things that he wished to do right after he would be discharged from this hospital. He was too excited to venture out into the new world. You stayed beside him, laying your head onto your palms and listening to him blabbering away. You entertained him, listening to every word that he said and gave response when it was needed. Soon, he fell asleep on his own and you were already getting ready to go to work since the sun was starting to rise from it’s horizon.

         You slid into your coat and slung your bag over your arm, taking small steps, trying not to wake Daehyun up from his deep sleep. But of course you stealthily steps were not that good as your foot bumped onto the corner of the coffee table. Daehyun squirmed in his bed and opened an eye. He groggily stood up from his bed and rubbed his eyes. “Where are you going?” He sat onto the unmade bed, eyes squinting and his lips pouting outwards slightly. Dang, he looked so gorgeous eventhough he had just woke up from his sleep. His hair that was not combed yet still looked perfect and the sunlight that seeped through the curtains outlined his sharp jawline. “Oh, I have work.” You replied and immediately, you saw how his face fell. Was he hoping you would stay? “But I’ll come by later to send you back home.” You defended yourself, showing a small smile and waved him goodbye. “Come back soon!” He hollered as you closed the door behind you.

         The whole day in the café was hectic as hell. But your shift ended unknowingly as you kept thinking of meeting Daehyun and spending the time with him. With the thought of him waiting for you in the ward made you excited to meet him which unexpectedly allowed the time to pass by even faster. As you walked through the halls of the hospital, your heart started palpitating and you were nervous once again. You did not know what it was but you were nervous on meeting Daehyun. It may sound bizzare but it felt like a first date. You knocked onto the wooden door and poked your head through it, showing off your smile as you saw Daehyun sitting by the edge of the bed. He let out a cheerful smile as soon as he saw your presence, “It’s about time you came. It was boring without having anybody to talk to.” He whined.

         You let out a low chuckle and saw how Daehyun was prepared to go home. He was already dressed in a plain white t-shirt with his denim jeans. “Well, I’m here now so you can talk to me as long as you want to.” He laughed heartily. Goodness, that laugh was to die for and your stomach started doing some weird dance on the inside. “Ready to leave?” You asked, tugging onto the straps of your bag. Daehyun’s face instantly lit up and he flashed his teeth.

         You wiggled your finger, suddenly missing the warmness of Daehyun’s hand holding onto yours. Unexpectedly, he immediately slipped his fingers into yours and interlaced them – it was as if he could read through you. You looked upon the contact and a part of you screamed internally, you missed the feeling of his velvety hands. A small smile was tugged onto the end of Daehyun’s mouth while he gave you a reassuring squeeze on the palm.

         “Ready.”