Gifted

Our Love Story
Hayoung's point of view

I stared at my reflection, tense. My hands gripped the edge of the counter, lightheaded. After such an event, I still couldn't manage my heart from jumping out of my chest. Wanting to splash water on my face, I resisted the urge, afraid of what Joori would do if I ruined her work. The bell echoed in the empty bathroom as I recollected myself. "Calm down, don't lose it!" I raised a fist in the air in encouragement.

Third period passed slowly as I counted the minutes. Kwangmin and Youngmin were excused from class to practice for their concert. Without them, the environment suddenly felt empty. Humming to a F.T Island song, I quickly finished the math questions on the board, already familiar with the log system. Thankfully one thing my previous school didn't lack was education. I was already ahead of the class by a couple months. It seemed debuting was the top priority here, rather then academics. 

As I was working on english homework during study hall, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I recognized him belatedly. Shin In-Tak.  I remembered sharing a music book with him, during vocal training. He friendly waved, sitting next to me. "Im the twin's best friend, Shin In-Tak. Nice to meet you."I smiled in response. "I remember, it's nice to meet you."

"That was really surprising! Mr. Smitten is actually really nice, but on the first day for us, he was scary. He does that to poke fun at the new students. I thought for sure you were going to cry but when you sang, it really shut him up." He laughed. I could understand why the twins liked him. He had a cheerful ambience around him.
 

"Anyways, you've earned my respect so... why don't I give you a tour of the school?" I recalled how earlier I was looking for the bathroom for twenty minutes. I nodded in agreement, greatful. "If you could, that'd be great." I smiled softly, thankful. He widened his eyes, quickly getting up clumsily. "Uh..I-I'll see you after class then."

As I packed my things into my book bag, I noticed Mr. Smitten by the doorway. Surprised, I wondered what he was doing here. He caught my gaze and signaled me over. Dragging my feet, I walked towards him, my feet heavy with rebellion. "Ms. Na, if you have time, could I speak to you privately in the my classroom?" Reluctantly, I agreed, following him sourly. He didn't say anything until we were in the room where he tried to humiliate me. I had a feeling I wouldn't be looking forward to his class very much in the future. He sat down in his chair and looked at me with a serious gaze.

The room was silent as he held his folded hands to his chin. I figured he was going to scold me for earlier. "I have something i'm very curious about." he stated. "About what happened in class before, Im very sorry." I apologized earnestly. "No, I should apologize. I was only pulling a joke. I'm was surprised that you took it so seriously." Annoyed at the fact he was teasing me, I responded back angrily. "Well, it wasn't very funny." I was surprised at the tone of sharpness in my words. "I know, I am very sorry, but if I hadn't done it then I would have never known you were so gifted!" he smiled widely.

"Gifted?" I asked perplexed. "I just song a sung like you told me, I didn't do anything special." He laughed happily. "Exactly!" He stood up, with his hands raised. "This was your first ever music lesson wasn't it?" I nodded, unsure as to what his point was.

"All those exercises and activities I made the class do today, was something we have been working on for almost a year. Still some students cannot apply it when they sing, but from only thirty minutes of training, you were able to a perfect an entire year's worth of teaching." I tried to recall using the exercises... " I think your mistaken, I didn't use any of your exercises."

"Because you didn't have to. Almost as if you were born with it, you effortlessly did with just your voice. As if some part of you already knew how to control and exert itself without having to learn anything." Even more confused, I just shook my head. "Thats not possible. I just sung the lyrics sir. I didn't think of how to control or do anything with my voice."

He stood up, waving his hands in the air. "Because you are gifted!" His smile then disappear, "If you don't mind me asking, who are your parents?" Disoriented, I asked why. "There is somebody I knew long time ago that reminds me of you." I felt offended for the first time at someone being so bluntly rude. " Im sorry but you're thinking of the wrong person... I do not have parents." Usually, I would have been gentle whenever it came to explaining my situation to others, since it wasn't everyday you'd meet an orphan, but I just wanted to get out of there.

His face fell. "Oh.. I'm sorry." Wanting to leave this place, I clenched my fists angrily. "If you are done, I'd like to leave now." He blinked, taken aback. "O-Of course... You may go." 

Walking as fast as I could, I pushed the doors aside. My lungs at my throat, I breathed heavily. Upset, annoyed and confused, I felt that same lightheaded sickness from the bathroom. Trying to calm down, I leaned against the wall when Joori startled me as she suddenly appeared. "Hey Unnie!" she greeted while checking my makeup. She raised an eyebrow, noticing my pale frozen face.
 

"Are you alright?" She asked, concerned. "Yes... Im fine." I lied. 

She grinned, fooled by my fake smile."In-Tak oppa was looking for you at the cafeteria. Have you ate yet?" I shook my head, thinking of my sudden loss of appetite. She wrapped her arm around mine as she pulled me towards the stairs. "Lets go then!" I weakly smiled, following her without looking back.