The Meeting

Our Love Story

Hayoung's point of view

 As the taxi rolled onto the bumpy pavement, my eyes opened slowly. Wet from the vivid dream, I wiped the tears as I swiftly wrapped the scarf around my neck. Looking around, it was dark except for the few light posts leading the way into a large tan building in the shape of an "L." Climbing out of the car, and thanking the driver, I pulled the suitcase out of the trunk and onto the curb.

Watching the silver vehicle drive into the night, I felt that same jittery nervousness in the train. As I approached the building, I noticed large blue initials  shining the leters "SPA" against the dim moonlight. This was it. Inside was freezing with minimal lighting. It was expected since it was still winter break. Most of the students have gone home or were already sleeping.

 With the map of the school, I somehow managed to find the office without much difficulty. Inside smelled like pine trees and roasting water chestnuts. Decorated to the wintery season, it was impressively spacious. For some reason, everything about this school was excessively large. At the front desk was a plump middle-aged women with jingling earrings. Walking towards her, I cleared my throat, getting her attention.

She looked up from her magazine, staring at me. Perhaps I looked crazy, coming in late at night with a suitcase like a runaway. I felt crazy. With a raised eyebrow, she peered at me from her red glasses. "May I help you?" Her words sounded threatnening. " Yes, I am transferring to this school." She nodded, walking towards the computer. "Name?" She asked, without much care. "Na Hayoung." "Grade?" "Eleventh." She nodded again, while furiously typing on the keyboard, printing papers, and stapling them. Almost throwing the dangling metal keys at me, she write sloppily the number of the dorm room.

"As you know, the school is still closed for another day, but the cafeteria will still be open regularly. Laundry is done in the basement, once a week, at your own expense. Your schedule and uniform will be delivered tomorrow to your dorm room. Have a good night." As if dismissing me, I turned to leave but faced her again. "...Do you happen to know who registered me here?" She glared at me, annoyed by my question. "Um, never mind. Good night." As I closed the door behind me, I suddenly missed smile lined, and gray haired Mrs. Sung.

Outside, with the light of my phone, I examined the map to find my dorm. Carefully following the path, I saw dorm 30 successfully. It was the same color as the school but smaller. Divided by stairs, the boys and girls section were opposite of each other. There, a thin girl with thick glasses sat on the couch.

She stared at me with a look of curiosity. "You!" I froze, startled. "Y-yes?" I asked, hesitant to answer. "Are you Hayoung?" She walked towards me, her clear voice ringing in the empty lobby. I relaxed when I noticed she didn't look very threatening. "Yes that's me." " Mrs. Chong called saying there was a transfer coming in. This dorm's a little complicated, so its easy to get lost. It's my responsibility to show you to your room." Relieved, I was thankful when she offered to help, because being both tired and hungry, I really didn't want to experience yet another hour of walking in circles.

Her steps were light and quick as I followed her into the elevator and through a long hallway. "This is the girls section. Going into the boys dorm is forbidden, but if your stealthy enough, you wont get caught." She smiled widely, joking. "What's your room number?" I handed her the map with the messy writing scribbled on the corner. 

With the key, she opened the door to a rather sizable room with two beds, desks and dressers. Half of the room was already unpacked and organized. I saw stacked boxes untouched in a corner with my name, resting on the side. "Since you are sharing a room, its pretty large. Leave your things here and I'll show you the rest of the building." 

Back in the hallway, I watched the girl from behind as we waited for the elevator. " Do you always do this?" I asked, curious of her unique welcoming party. "Hm?" She asked, pressing the ground button. "This, escorting new students at midnight to their rooms." She laughed at how ridiculous it sounded.

"Only during the first quarter of the year. When you on student council, you kinda have to." She confessed. " Oh right! I didn't tell you my name. Im Jung Joori, a second year." Looking up close, Joori was rather pretty. She had long wavy hair and a small face, which complimented her slightly crooked teeth in the front, kept her childish look pure. 

Once her tour had finished, I was amazed at how I hadn't collapsed from exhaustion already. Siting at the "Hangout" room, I was barely able to keep my head up, answering Joori's constant questions. "You don't look so good, what's wrong?" She asked, concerned for the transfer student's health. Mumbling, I yawned broken sentences. "Tired..Hungry."

"You haven't eaten anything?" She asked, surprised. Shaking my head, I closed my eyes, now too tired to respond verbally. "Get up, lets feed you something." I opened my eyes, raising an eyebrow. "But the cafeteria is closed." She pulled me from the beautiful comfortable chair. "Not the one in school, the one here." "There's a cafeteria here too?" I asked, amazed at the endlessness of city schools. "Something like that."

At the very end of the building was a small cafe like shop, and at least ten vending machines. Walking towards the first machine, I randomly picked a fuzzy fruit soda and chocolate cookies. Sitting down, I opened the pack of cookies and gave one to Joori as a thank you for being the tour guide.

Munching on the snacks, we didn't say much, realizing how hungry we actually were. Grabbing the third cookie, I heard faint voices behind me. Joori, who was eating absentmindedly, smiled suddenly. "Hey!" she said, looking past me.

As I turned back, my eyes widened. I saw the same person twice…