There Is No Life Without You

Our Love Story

 

Hayoung's point of view

 

Once we arrived at the lobby, Kwangmin and I apologized for being late. Joori grabbed me by the hand, leading me towards the back, where all the bright vanities and makeup tables were behind a black curtain. "Sit." She commanded, a hair clip between her lips. Following her orders, I remained still under the control of Joori.

 

 " What happened? Your eyeliner is all smeared." She complained. "Sorry, I rubbed my eyes." I didn't want to say I was crying in Kwangmin's arms. Looking through the reflection, I gazed at Kwangmin, who was sitting behind me, a hairdresser working on his long side swept bands. His full lips pressed against each other in a slight frown, something I noticed him do whenever he was in deep thought. Still, I could feel his touch pressed around me, his warm scent of cologne on my skin. Blushing, I felt my heart beat quicken. 

 

How was it that even though they were twins, brothers that had the same face, brothers that resembled each other so well, had such different reactions in my heart? Just by their touch, just by their fingertips, I could distinguish who it was. Perhaps it was because I had become sensitive to every gesture, every gaze, and every smile they made. I had to…

 

I was running out of time, and I didn't dare to waste a single second. The memories of Youngmin and Kwangmins were too precious to ignore, to forget. Bitting my lip, I wondered if I would be able to do it, to leave them without regret, without sorrow.  

 

Once Joori finished, she untied the black plastic cover that protect my dress from any fallen makeup. Thanking her, I tried to appease her anger. " Just don't rub your eyes again, ok?" She sighed as I nodded, promising to my grave. She smiled when she suddenly hugged me. 

 

"This is great!" She breathed. Taken aback, I stuttered. " J-Joori?" Pulling back, she held my arms, flashing a toothy grin. "Everything we ever wanted is finally happening Hayoung! You're going to debut as a top singer, and I'm going to be a famous style coordinator." I chuckled, but felt a little disheartened. "A top singer?" The doubt was present in my voice. 

 

Joori rolled her eyes, sighing. " Hayoung…" Loosening her grip, her eyes turned dim, an expression of resentment of her face. " You really can't see what you do to everyone?" I shook my head, unable to understand why everyone was so worked up over my performance, or even me.

 

 "Listen, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have ever gotten a chance to be where I was now. If it wasn't for you…I would have still been in class right, wondering what if. " For the first time, Joori's childishness disappeared, and instead a sense of confidence showered her. Her gaze was of a young women, that had matured. 

 

Could I have? This new assurance and brilliantness that shined from within Joori, could I have caused it like she had said? Before, I wouldn't have believed it. It didn't seemed to make sense when I knew what my existence had done to the ones I loved. Because of me, my mother went through hell. Because of me, my father was dead…and yet, I was still able to move others, to inspire them? 

 

If I was honest, I would have scoffed, unable to see what Joori had said, but…

 

I began to think of those girls back in the cafe, the ones that knew me all the way from China. Were there more like them, in placed I have never been? 

 

And the twins, did I really deserve their love? As much it pained me, as much as it tortured me to think of leaving, would it be the same for them? All these unsolved questions attached themselves to my heart like a puzzle I kept staring at for hours with nothing coming to mind. 

 

I looked into Joori's dark brown eyes, below her long black eyelashes. When will I tell you? That I was going to America? How will you react….You, who I have considered to be a close friend, like a sister. 

………………………………………………

 

Suddenly, the curtains behind us swung open as Mr. Yong peeked through the doorway. " Girl's its time to start filming." Joori giggled as she pushed me from behind, excited. Looking back, I watched her wave as Mr. Yong escorted me towards the set in the garden outside. 

 

Oblivious, she smiled, wishing me luck as I felt a small pang in my heart.

 

………………………………………………………

 

Kwangmin's point of view

 

My eyes widened when I saw Hayoung walk out of the hotel and into the garden. Every time I saw her I knew she was beautiful, but this was breathtaking. Just like in the Centennial dance, her dress shimmered brightly against the low lighting of the lights, and her skin glowed like a precious ivory jew. 

 

Marie, who was laughing and gossiping with a fellow male crew member, suddenly stopped. A surprised expression planted on her face.

 " What the?" She whispered. I smirked, amused. Of course she'd more beautiful then you… 

 

There was no competition. Even though Marie had always been titled as having the appearances of a goddess, her heart was as withered and as broken as a worned out and crinkled piece of leather. There was no inner beauty to Marie, everything about her was scheming and fake smiles, but Hayoung…. 

 

Without even trying, she was able to capture the hearts of whoever listened to her voice. Without even pretending, her inner thoughts were pure and always kind. Before, I couldn't see how both me and my brother could have fallen for the same girl. Even as a young child, who we liked were always completely different. When Youngmin began dating Marie, I wanted to shake him up and down, hoping to snap him back to reality. 

 

But like every man that has met Marie, they were tricked by her innocent smiles, and smart kind words. Thankfully, I was not one of her victims. 

 

Marie remained silent, her eyes jealous and furious. Ah… I thought.  It began make sense now. I wondered why Hayoung looked so haunted whenever she was around her, remembering the first time they met in the conference hall, but the picture became clear. She had fallen into becoming one of Marie's bullied and teased victims. I bit my lip, annoyed at how immature Marie was. When was she ever going to learn that she shouldn't underestimate someone?

 

I myself, learned that mistake the hard way. I remember shrugging off my feelings for Hayoung in the beginning, thinking it was just a phase. I had thought there was no way this girl could possibly make my defenses crumble, that she would be able to make my heart beat, but I was wrong. As I grew to know her, as I began to find out who she was, nothing else came into perspective.

 

 I had fallen so hard, I could not get up, trapped under my own attachment towards her. I had underestimated her, not knowing of what she was capable of doing to my heart. 

 

……………………………………………………………

 

Hayoung's point of view

 

I walked shakily to the garden, praying that I wouldn't fall over the jagged stones. Regretful for wearing heels, I winced when a sharp pain shot up my leg as I caught myself on the rough bark of a tree. Suddenly, someone held me by the waist. " Be careful." My eyes widened, realizing he had blonde hair. " Youngmin…" My voice was soft, wavering. " Are you all right?" His gaze was intense.

 

Embarrassed, I pulled back, gasping silently at the sharp pain again. Bitting my tongue, I withstood the stabbing sensation at my ankle. Pull yourself together…Withstand it for a couple hours. After the pain came to a dull throb, I nodded my head, not wanting to worry Youngmin. " I'm fine, I just tripped on a stone." His lips pressed against each other, doubtful. 

 

"Are you ready?" Someone said from behind. Turning around, Director Yoo Jin appeared in front of us, smiling. Youngmin stepped forward, his focus on my foot. "She can't fil-" I pulled back his hand, interrupting him. "Yes! We're ready." 

 

……………………………………………………………

 

Youngmin's point of view

 

"What are you doing?" I demanded. Her ankle was already pink and starting to swell. " I'm fine. Its just a small sprain. Please don't say anything." She begged as she hid her right leg under the garment. " I want to do this, and I'm not going to let a small injury stop me." Her eyes burned with persistence. 

 

I sighed, already knowing it was too late to change her mind. When she decided on something, it was impossible to convince her other wise. " Fine, but if I see it affect your performance, I'm going to tell the Director." She smiled brightly, assuring me she would be fine.

 

Grabbing her wrist, I leaned her against me down the steps. Watching her bit her lip whenever she placed stress on her foot, I began to wonder. 

Just what you thinking? Who are you acting so reckless for?

 

On the set, Director Yoo Jin explained the idea behind today's scene. " This is going to be the opening of the MV. As you know, this is  Boyfriend's first long-length music video, so it has been decided that we will create a ten minute short film. For this scene, it'll mainly be focused on the ex couple, when they meet at the garden for the first time since their bitter breakup." 

 

I felt a resentment in my chest. Hayoung stared into my eyes, sharing the same thought. " Our bitter breakup…" The irony of our roles was too much. How was it that it was me and her that had to have the cruelest roles.

Wasn't it enough that our reality was already made to end, did it have to happen here as well?

 

……………………………………………………………….

 

Hayoung's point of view

 

As the cameras and the lights were being set, I made my way to the long table with warm refreshments. The wind had stopped and now only a soft breeze came time to time. The weather was calm and peaceful, now that the trees were sprouting green leaves. After checking to see if nobody was around, I lifted the side of my dress, exposing the slightly swollen ankle. "Ow…" I breathed, trying to contain my pain.  It was getting worse…

 

Footsteps behind me made me let go of the garment, hiding the bruise within. "Your brave…" Marie said, amused.  I stepped back, taking precaution of my foot. "I didn't expect to see you here. I thought you'd be packing by now." I saw the annoyance in her eyes. " Im not going to run away." Surprisingly, my voice was stern. 

 

She glared at me as she closed the distance between us. " Im guessing you don't care if I spread your secrets one by one then?" She threatened. I gritted my teeth, controlling myself from wanting to punch her. "It doesn't matter what you do to me, but I won't let you use Youngmin." Her glare intensified. "God! You are so annoying. Is it Kwangmin or Youngmin?" Her words were ice cold.

"What?" I asked, taken aback.

 

"You know, I underestimated you. Your even worse then me. How did you manage to fool both twins into falling for you? What's your secret?" She leaned closer, smiling. "Could it be… you have already been in bed with one of them?" She grinned, poking my shoulder. " Your quite innocent looking for a ." Stunned, my eyes widened. 

 

I have never been a violent person, but for the first time, I wanted to slap the living rights out of her. " How dare you-" She caught my hand halfway, squeezing tightly onto my wrist. " You know what?" She threatened. " I was trying to be nice and let you leave Youngmin yourself, but now you're giving me no choice." I pulled my hand, backing away. " Go ahead, and do whatever your little pathetic self can. I'll just ripe Youngmin away from your tiny little fingers." I bit my lip, finally unable to contain my anger. 

 

"I didn't need to do anything to rid you of any chances of winning Youngmin back. You're deceiving and filthy heart has already ruined it for you." Her expression grew dark as she stepped foreword, kicking my swollen ankle. I yelped as I felt tears threatening to fall. She scoffed, looking down on me. " Let's see you try your best with that injury." 

 

She walked away as my leg throbbed incredibly under my palm. Minwoo suddenly came by my side, panicked. "Noona, what's wrong?" I waved my hands, trying my best to laugh it off.  "I'm so clumsy. I dropped my ring on the floor and I banged my head on the table." Showing the ring on my finger, I chuckled nervously. Laughing, Minwoo helped me up as I breathed deeply, containing myself from wanting to scream at the burning sensation.

 

………………………………………………………………..

 

Kwangmin's point of view

 

"Action!" Yoo-Jin yelled through the megaphone, cueing for the camera to roll. Sitting on the bench, Hayoung's expression was pale and sickly. The camera zoomed on her face as she bit her lip, her nerves staining her performance. " Cut!" Yoo Jin stood up, walking towards Hayoung. " Whats wrong?" White as paper, and trembling as if she had seen a ghost, Hayoung remained silent. 

 

" Do we need to call it a day?" Yoo Jin asked, doubtful if whether they should continue. "I…" Hayoung's voice wavered. "Let's continue tom-" "Let her try one more time." Youngmin interrupted, his expression determined. "Youngmin?" Yoo Jin raised an eyebrow. Hayoung's eyes widen as she stared at him. 

 

" I don't know…" Yoo Jin said doubtfully. " It's just because she's nervous." He defended. "You'll do better right?" He asked smiled. Slowly, the color returned to her cheeks as she smiled gently. " Please, let me try one more time." Yoo Jin sighed as she crossed her arms. "Fine, but if you make a mistake, I'm stopping the filming." Hayoung nodded, no longer trembling. " I will not disappoint you." 

 

………………………………………………………………....

 

Hayoung's point of view

 

I breathed in deeply, calming my nerves. The throbbing of my leg dimmed as I felt my trembling hands subside. "You can do this." I chanted in my mind. Gazing at the crowd, I found Marie watching from a distance with a smile of triumph on her face. No…. you can't let her win Hayoung. 

 

My heart which was skipping beats was now coming to soft thump. Silently, I thanked Youngmin. I needed to do my best, I needed to prove that I wasn't weak. 

 

"Action!" Director Yoo Jin called again. I closed my eyes, remembering the character I was portraying. 

 

Her ex lover, the one she still wasn't able to forget, the only she still loved…She was finally meeting him for the first time after two years of their tearful and hateful break up. What was she thinking at the time? What was she feeling? The lyrics of the song " I hate this reality without you… I can't live without you…" 

 

I felt myself transform into the girl that had her heart torn as I stared at Youngmin in front of me. The images of the him filled my mind. The time at the blue tent restaurant. The time when I felt his heartbeat against mine. The time when he kissed my forehead. Each disappeared under the burning flames, the still pictures turned black, charred to pieces. Slowly, my heart tore apart as I imagined myself without Youngmin. 

 

Then like a breath of air, I felt the realization. I couldn't live without him.