Staying

Our Love Story

 

Hayoung's point of view

Maybe I was making things too complicated. Perhaps it really was simple. Do I stay or do I go? Do I leave in search of my parents or do I remain here with my friends.

Even if I dumbed it down a thousands times, there is still a question mark at the end of my answer. I wanted to go, make a life for myself and recover the past but...I also wanted to be with the twins, Joori...everyone. Was it too selfish to want both?

.....................................................................

Still flustered, I looked down to the ground, not daring to match eyes with Youngmin. It really wasn't fair...

Effortlessly, him and his brother were able to make my heart sway and tremble easily. I sighed softly to myself, annoyed at my defenseless self. I could never put up a fight against their charms..

Outside, main street music were playing, booming from the speakers. The smell of grilling meat and burning wood poked at my sudden hunger. Looking around, I was facinated by the liveliness of the setting. Everyone was laughing and dancing along to In-Tak's and Joori's comic performance. I chuckled, amused at her unstoppable energy. 

.....................................................................

Kwangmin's point of view

I began to get anxious, wondering where Hayoung and Youngmin had gone. Glancing around, my eyes widening. I found them by the screen doors as Youngmin stepped aside while supporting her arm. I noticed the large beige bandage on her palm as she thanked him. Walking over, I touched her shoulder, concerned. "What happened to you hand?" She smiled slighty, embarrassed. "I.." Youngmin interrupted, clearing his throat. "She had a small accident, so I helped address the wound." She nodded as I retreated away, smirking. His irritations were as visible as reading an open book.

.....................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

I eyed the freshly grilled beef ribs eagerly, remembering I haven't eaten anything all day. Grabbing a plate and the serving chopsticks, I reached for a juicy piece of meat when I winced, dropping it on the floor. I pouted, annoyed that I wasted a perfectly good food. Youngmin swiftly took the plate out of my hands, tilting his head, gesturing me to sit. "I can do it." I persisted, not wanting to be taken care of like a child. He raised an eyebrow, my feet regretfully walking away towards the wooden tables.

Joori joined me, chowing on a celery stick, sighing. I peered at her defeated expression, curious. "What's wrong?" She dramatically faced me, her face agonized. "One of the seniors were suppose to perform tonight's highlight serenade but she had personal business and left early. I began to understand where she was getting at. Somehow, Joori had sharpened my senses incredibly. "And you want me to fill in?" I asked her with nonchalantly. She smiled suddenly, her eyes shining. "Would you?!" I flinched at her sudden begging. 

The twins sat in front of us suddenly, interested. "would you what?" Kwangmin asked. Youngmin passed me the plate filled with food, placing it in front of me. I gratefully thanked him when Kwangmin handed me a fork. "You can't hold chopsticks right?" I blushed lightly, nodding. Munching slowly, savoring the spicy flavored pork strips, I listened to Joori's pleading again. "Oh please! If you do it, I'd love you forever!" I gulped, afraid of what her loving hugs felt like. 

Kwangmin laughed, understanding my pale expression. "I would like to hear you sing again." I gazed at him sheepishly. Biting the plastic fork between my lips, I began considering. "I'll do it... under one condition." She grinned, pleased. "Anything unnie." I cleared my throat, suddenly confident. "No more death wrangling hugs." I truly I meant what I said about those vicious embraces, they terrified me. "Of course, of course." She gestured, not listening. I sighed, defeated. 

I really needed to learn how to say no....

...........................................................................

Once the tables were cleared, and the trashcans were filled, Joori gathered everyone to living room. "Today as a thank you for working so hard for a successful show, Hayoung has prepared a serenade. I blushed, taken aback by the sudden attention. Minwoo and Jeongmin brought in a electric keyboard, setting it at the end of the room. My mouth dropped, amazed. "You knew I'd do it?" I looked at Joori, bewildered. She stuck her tongue out playfully as she handed me a white stool. I placed it by the white keyboard as the room grew quite. I breathed in deeply,stretching my fingers. After settling my heart, I looked up at the twins, who were sitting closest to me. I smiled gently to myself, my soul speaking to them silently. 

In this song, I will sing my feelings for you. Please listen and understand, even if it's just a little bit.

.............................................................................

Youngmin's point of view

My body relaxed as soon as the soft keys echoed off the piano. She closed her eyes, absorbed into the music. As I have expected, no one moved, their entire gaze focused on her. She truly was a prodigy. With just her voice, she was able to make the world stop in place, listening carefully as she sang. I smiled, recognizing the american song. 

...........................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

I closed my eyes as the notes began to seep into my chest. I felt the song come alive at my fingertips, accompanied by my words. I looked up at the twins, secretly singing my heart .

Lovin' you...is easy cause you're beautiful...

Makin' love with you is all I wanna do

Lovin' you is more than just a dream come true

And everything that I do is out of lovin' you

la la la la la la la....do do do do do

 

No one else can make me feel

The colors that you bring

Stay with me while we grow old

 

And we will live each day in springtime

Cause lovin' you has made my life so beautiful

And every day my life is filled with lovin' you

 

Lovin'  you I see your soul shinin' through

And every time that we ooooh

I'm more in love with you

La la la la la la la.....do do do do do

................................................................................

I came to a stop as the song ended. Smiling, I was relieved I was able to hit the high note without cracking. Like in slow motion, I gazed at everyone's faces as they applaused.

Joori…In-Tak..Dong Hyun…Minwo…Youngmin…Kwangmin.

 These people that filled my life with a new joy…would I be able to handle living life emptily now that it was overflowing? 

At that moment, I decided. Even if I were to live a life of stardom and fame…it would not bring the happiness I received here. It's true I wanted to know who I was but I was no longer obsessed. It was almost as if I had created a self, a person that I wanted to be. Secretly, deep under my skin and smiles, I was afraid of knowing. What if the past I had wanted so desperately to find was only something that would disappoint me. 

I was scared of the truth…

Even if I was a coward..even if I was selfish…I will remain here, besides the ones I loved. That was my wish. 

****************

After the endless night of celebrating the new year, my entire body was exhausted. The morning was dim, gloomy from the early storm. As everyone began to pack their things, getting ready to head back to the school, I sneaked away towards the balcony on the second floor, pulling out the golden card Ms. Yoo-Jin had given me. I felt the "what if" coming in slowly, but I shook my head, erasing the thoughts.

No! I have made my mind already. I will stay here.

The phone rang numerously as I felt the nervousness creep in. Suddenly, a man answered. "Hello?" Taken aback, I stammered. "Um..I-Is this Ms. Han Yoo-Jin's number?" "Yes…May I ask who this is?" The mysterious man questioned. I breathed, trying to calm down. "Na Hayoung..we met at the Centennial after party." "One moment please." The line went silent as I bit my lip, nervous.

 

"Hello?" A smooth women's voice startled me. "Ms. H-Han Yoo-Jin?" My voice was stiff. She chuckled, delighted. "Oh Hayoung! I thought you would never call. Have you made up your mind?" I hesitated, wondering how to decline nicely. "Yes II" She interrupted me. "Let's talk face to face with tea. I'm send a chaffer in the afternoon to your school." I tried to decline when the phone went dead.

 

"Excuse me?…Hello?" I clicked my tongue, annoyed. This women reminded me of Joori. Sighing, I realized the others were waiting for me in the van. I quickly joined them, apologizing. "Where were you?" Youngmin asked curiously.

"I had to make a phone call." I didn't mention why. 

 

It shouldn't matter that i didn't tell them my offer to America… I didn't want to involve them, it would just worry and upset them. Besides...I wanted to stay here, to have a future here