In Order To Find My Past

Our Love Story

Hayoung's point of view

My stomach was twisting and churning as the audience hall began to fill with spectators. I couldn't recognize anyone, everyone seemed like a blurred blob behind the stage curtains. Biting my lip, I felt my heart sputtering. How were the twins able to this? I couldn't possibly stand in front of so many people!!

I needed air.

Outside, the cold breeze was heaven against my flushed face. I squatted, my head between my knees, trying not to throw up. Breath. Breath. Breath.

A hand touched my shoulder. "What's wrong?" Mr. Smitten said, alarmed. I began stuttering, "I- I'm freaking out…it's impossible..Why did you make me do this?" I whined like a child. He laughed, patting my back.

 "First time jitters." He said simply. I dropped to the icy floor, lightheaded. He handed me a small red wrapper. "Here, it'll calm your stomach." Hesitating, I took it and put it in my mouth, wincing  at the bitterness. "Itsh sho bit-er" I salivated at the sourness. He chuckled, "I never said it tasted good." I sighed in relief, my stomach finally calming down. "I'm scared..." 

He sat on the ground besides me, lighting a cigarette. Placing it in his mouth, he blew the smog jokily at me. "You should be." He said, between the gray smoke. I coughed, fanning the burnt smell away. "The more scared and afraid you are, you more harder you have to try. You came here to find your parents, didn't you?" He looked at me. 

My parents.. I gazed at the stars, suddenly relaxed. I had to do this...It was only way. I bit the remaining candy and swallowed it unwillingly. I stood up, exhaling. "Let's get this over with." I convinced myself. I had to. 

..............................................................................

Kwangmin's point of view

Backstage was chaos as everyone prepared last minute preparations. Finding the rest of the members, Dong hyun counted heads. "Where's Hayoung?!" He yelled. She came running in, panting. "Sorry!" She lined up next to me, her hair disheveled. I turned her towards me, rearranging her bangs carefully. She looked up at me, blushing. "Kwangmin-shi?" I began to remember earlier. I gritted my teeth, hating I was always second to her.

………………………………………………………...

A reporter came towards me, asking for an interview. "For this Centennial performance, what are some highlights we should look out for?" The reported pushed the mic to my lips. "This year, we have a very unique and special show that everyone will remember." I looked at Hayoung. "...There is even a performance by a musical prodigy." She blushed, averting her eyes. The reported squealed in excitement. "Is it true that it was the Centennial where you and your twin brother stepped into stardom?" I nodded, "This performance is very special to us because it was where it all started as idols." She smiled, signing off. She bow politely as she left to interview other students. 

................................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

I watched at the corner, as Kwangmin talked to the reporter. I felt suddenly sad. They belonged in a world I didn't understand, a world that I didn't belong. They were famous celebrities that featured in shows and concerts. I was someone in the sidelines, only able to watch from afar. What would happen after today? Would I return as a normal high school student, or would I also have the opportunity to fame? Did I want it?

I blushed as he stared at me.

 Kwangmin. Youngmin

I didn't understand what they saw in me, I was just an ordinary girl, average in every way… They weren't. 

...............................................................................

As every act came to an end, it was getting closer for our appearance. I was especially nervous since everyone was looking forward to Boyfriend's performance. I didn't want to bring them down by making a mistake. I slapped the side of my face gently, throwing out the negative thoughts. 

..............................................................................

Youngmin's point of view

I looked for Hayoung in the dim backstage. She was in the corner, fumbling with her bow tie, biting her lips. I felt more nervous then usual, my fingers trembled. At concerts, I was always calm and collected, but now that I was going to be on the same stage as her, I had to do better then ever. I walked towards her when it was time for us to go on the stage. She looked at me, worry painted on her face. I smiled, trying to be strong for her. "You'll be fine." She slowly smiled nodding.

...............................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

"And now! Introducing... Boyfriend!" The entire hall filled with cheers and applause as the lights dimmed. We got into position quickly, spreading the chairs into place as I sat into my pose, checking the mic. The music started..

..........................................................................

Something sprouted in me as the stage lights showered us in hot rays. The anxiety and the nervousness disappeared. I felt every nerve on my body awaken as the tempo picked up. Like the rehearsal. I snapped my fingers, turning my foot as I stood up. Just like in practice, I followed the steps in my mind. Recognizing Dong Hyun's part that followed with mine and twins I prepared myself.

The twins behind me, I felt tingles from electricity as the music surged through my body. Simultaneously, we mimicked each other moves, our feet light and quick. I bit my lip, about to do the flip that I had yet to succeed.

"You’re like oxygen to me~" Now! 

I threw my body as I flipped backwards. As if in slow motion, I felt my body turning mid-air. I held my breath as I kicked upward. I opened my eyes, my feet perfectly on the floor. I gasped, realizing I had done it flawlessly. I grinned, satisfied. The twins smirked as the song finally came to end. 

........................................................................

Backstage, I felt myself go limp. All the energy and emotions drained out of me as I was in a daze.  Youngmin squeezed my hand gently, "I told you, didn't I?" He raised an eyebrow. I nodded, grinning. I had done it. 

I was able to finish all the way to the end. Kwangmin rustled my hair, his gaze tender. Suddenly, Soon-bok grabbed my hand, pulling me. "Common! You have to change for your solo." I clumsily followed her into the dressing room as she gave me the gothic inspired dress.

With Soon-Bok's help, I managed to get in the complicated outfit. She pulled the zipper at the back and set the lacy train out. I sat, exhausted as she changed my makeup. I looked at myself in the mirror, eyes wide. I didn't recognize the girl in the reflection. 

Elegant and dark, the strapless dress tightly fitted on my torso as it ended like a tutu, a long black lace train ( in clothing, a train is the back portion of a dress) hung down at the back. My makeup was smoldering and seductive, completely opposite of me. "Your concept for your performance is heart broken." She explained to me proudly. I looked at the cd on the table that my unknown guardian gave me. I held it in my hands, gently tracing the title with my fingers. My father wrote this?

Almost to my individual performance, I opened the door leading to the disordered backstage. Joori gasped. "Hayoung! Daebak!" I gulped, fidgeting with the fishnet gloves. Soon-bok stood near me, holding the train carefully. Kwangmin and Youngmin stared at me intensely. I blushed, embarrassed at my extravagant attire. A man in blue, patted my shoulder. "It's almost your turn, Miss." I followed him as he lead me cautiously towards the stage. 

In-Tak bowed as the audience clapped. He wiped his sweat on his sleeve, complaining of the heat as he came towards me, wishing me luck. I smiled nervously, feeling the pre-stage jitters again. Calm down. You already stood on the stage once. You'll be fine...

It was pitch. Someone held my hand, guiding me in the dark towards the piano. I thanked him, as I exhaled. Seated, I felt the keys under my fingers. That serene like tranquility began to seep into my mind slowly. I felt my heart slowing down as it all became still.

The spotlight shined on me as it warmed my skin. My nerves began to untwine as I began to play. The notes echoed in the hushed hall, vibrating off the walls. The sweet sounds radiated from the piano as my fingers danced on the keyboard. As the music absorbed me, I began to feel the heartbreak of the song. The melancholy and sadness came crashing into me like the ocean waves. 

..........................................................................

Youngmin's point of view

I have never seen someone as breathtaking as she was now. Her ivory skin glowed against the stage lights. Her elegant black dress reminded me of a dark angel that descended from the sky. She closed her eyes as she effortlessly brought the sorrow and the despair of the song to life . A love story that ended in tears and tragedy.

………………………………………………...

Without you…

Would my days be alright? 

I'm in pain just thinking about this

Even the day love came

Even the day we first kissed

As if they never happened

I have no choice but to erase them

Now I feel as if I know what love is

I cannot live without you

 

It wasn't love

Let's never meet again

Only words of breaking up keep coming back

 

I miss you a lot

I really miss you

If your heart is alright

I can only send you

To meet someone kind

And you must be happy 

Now..

It must really be the end

 

How are you doing…

Im curious

Because I love you

Because I loved you

I must restrain myself

From giving you laughter

I must send tears

Because by tomorrow, you won't be there

 

I miss you a lot

I really miss you

If your heart is alright

I can only send you

To meet someone kind

And you must be happy

Now..

It must really be the end

 

I miss you a lot

I really miss you

If your heart is alright

I can only send you 

To meet someone kind

And you must be happy

Now…

It must really be the end

My love..

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCCrtxbYyk (The song)

………………………………………………

Hayoung's point of view

 

The last chords rang softly, drifting to a silence as the song came to an end. I felt my chest tightening again, the nervousness reappearing. I stared into the bright lights as I was stunned by the rising audience. One by one, they rose from their seats, clapping thunderously. Moved, I felt the tears forming at my tearducts. I bowed, smiling widely.  

 

Returning backstage, I laughed at the hollering crowd. Joori and In-Tak were hugged me joyfully. Mr. Smitten winked, mouthing the words "Congratulations. The twins approached me, beaming. "You were amazing!" Youngmin exclaimed. Kwangmin smiled and petted my head. "That was outstanding." I couldn't help but giggle excitedly. It was as if I was about to explode with the fire burning inside me. I experienced a sensation on that stage. I felt I was someone different. 

 

I weary followed Soon-Bok into the dressing room, completely exhausted. I pulled of my painful black heels, relieved at the sudden freedom from those death traps. I silently cursed who even invented the idea of walking on sticks. Soon-Book left me in the room to find another bottle of makeup remover. 

 

By myself, I walked towards the couch about to pass out from fatigue when I noticed the huge bouquet of white roses. I lifted the flowers cautiously as an envelope clattered on the floor. Picking it up, I recognized the elegant handwriting. Swiftly tearing the seal, I opened the letter. 

……………………………………………………………

 

Dear Ms. Na,

Congratulations on your wonderful performance! It was beyond what I had expected. You are truly your mother's daughter. When I saw you on that stage, you resembled her so much, it was shocking. I hope you will keep your promise and debut soon. 

Until then, Your Guardian

………………………………………………………………

I continuously reread the letter, fixated on the words.

 

 My mother? Who was my mother? WHO!? 

 

I threw the paper in frustration, tired of his games. I have done all he had asked, haven't I? What else did he want? I felt the anger boiling in my body. 

Grabbing the bouquet, I tossed in the trashcan, beyond upset. Soon-Bok walked in, hesitating. "Is this a bad time?" My eyes soften, sighing. "No, it's fine." She came in slowly with a raised eyebrow. "Who do you hate?" She pointed at the garbage can. I grimaced, picking them up. 

…………………………………………………………………………….

We were back in our room as I checked the time. It was almost an hour before the after party. I began to panic. I have never gone to such an extravagant event. I bit my lip. 

 

"Soon-Bok?" I asked, my voice quivering. "Hmm?" She answered, distracted with her makeup case. "What kind of people are at this party?" She gestured for me to sit on the floor. I obediently wrapped my bathrobe as I came to the center of the room. 

 

Makeup and accessories were sprawled on the carpet into categories as she fumbled with different lipsticks. "Typical V.I.P guests, I guess. Celebrities, school sponsors, press, and the performers. Why?" She began dabbing on my foundation. "I don't know if I can handle that kind of environment." I confessed. She chuckled. 

 

"Don't worry, Joori, the twins, and even I will be there. You'll be fine…besides." She held a pencil to my eye. "Look up.. Besides, you have to go." She smiled. " Rumor has it, that performance you pulled out there has got the press and agents buzzing." I gasped, horrified. "Wait! I can't even talk to my classmates openly yet, how am I supposed to converse to reporters."

 

 She laughed, now brushing on blush. " You won't really be saying much. Reporters aren't allowed to interview without permission." I sighed in relief. " Now your hair." She propped me a high chair, holding a dangerous curling iron. I stayed still, hoping she wouldn't burn me. 

 

"I heard there is going to be a V.V.I.P appearing tonight." She muttered, hairpins between her lips. I looked up at her. " V.V.I.P?"

She nodded. "Someone that even the top celebrities looked up to." I began to wonder what kind of person would be that important.

 

She curled the last strand of hair and placed the last hairpin. She smiled, satisfied. "Take a look." 

 

She turned me towards the mirror as I gasped in awe. Once again, I could not recognize the girl in front of me. Unlike before, the smoldering and seductive vampire disappeared and instead, a elegant, pure beauty reflected on the mirror.

 

 My hair, softly curled hung by my shoulders gently. My eyes were bright under the sparkling pink eyeshadow. I blushed in disbelief. 

 

Soon-Bok gasped as she glanced at her watch. "Hurry! Put on your gown. There isn't much time!"

……………………………………………………...

 

Kwangmin's point of view

 

Closing the last button in my shirt, I tied the red bow tie around my neck. Sighing, I looked at myself in the reflection with the tuxedo. Even as a child, suits and fancy shoes were always something I hated. It was so restricting. 

 

Youngmin came out of the bathroom in a white suit, contrasting to my black. His blonde hair was now smooth unlike before where it reminded me of a porcupine. "Hey, help me with this." Youngmin fumbled with the yellow bow tie awkwardly. I sighed, coming towards him. "You still can't do this?" I teased. "And your supposed to be the older one." He laughed, gently punching my  stomach. "Wanna die?" His eyes were smiling. It had been along time since we had joked around like this. I missed it.

 

……………………………………………………………

Youngmin's point of view

 

I began filling my plate with the gourmet appetizers as Joori and In-Tak greeted me. In-Tak in his retro paid suit laughed at Joori in her unusually normal appearance. She was finally wearing something that I could recognize as a dress. Kwangmin stole a fried shrimp from my plate as I looked around at the familiar celebrities. 

 

Dong Hyun and Hyun Seong were talking to Uee shyly, blushing. Minwoo was stuffing his face with cakes secretly, resembling a starved child. I chuckled at how unclassy everyone seemed. I gasped as I recognized the person besides me. She had long blonde hair and was frightfully beautiful. Han Yoo-Jin.