Fame

Our Love Story
Kwangmin's point of view

Unaware, blinded, it wasn't until I was completely submerged in my emotions that I let the truth out. Concealed and locked away, I caged away my feelings, ignoring the desires, the longings. Perhaps it was only after Youngmin confronted me, I realized it. Perhaps only then, I understood that I was already drowning in the ocean of compassion I had for her.

..............................................

Youngmin's point of view

I had already confirmed it, that we had both fallen in love with the same girl but I didn't want to believe it.  How could something so cruel come across us? Why did I have to choose between the girl I loved or my twin brother. I didn't want him to love her the way I did. I didn't want to share her. The fear began to creep into my skin as I stared at the brother that shared my face. Even as children, our clothes, our toys, there was never the word "mine." It was always "ours." I came to accept it, not minding but why her? 

 "Did you already know?...That I also feel the same way?" I questioned. His eyes dimmed softly, a sad smile on his face. "How could something like this happen to us?" He looked away, sighing. I couldn't say anything. "What do we do?" He's expression was grim. "You can't have her." I ordered. He smirked, "That's not for you to decide." He was right. No matter how much it annoyed me, it was the truth. It wasn't up to me or Kwangmin to fight over who had the right to stay by Hayoung's side. It was her's. The one that she loved, the one she wanted to be with was her decision. There was even the chance that neither of us were in her heart to begin with.

..................................................

 Kwangmin's point of view

It was silent as we walked back to the hospital room. I couldn't look at Youngmin. There was nothing he or I did wrong but it was just the inhuman twist of fate. Regardless even if he was my brother, I wasn't going to give in like I had before when he wanted something. At least not without a fight. Without a word, we entered the room where Hayoung was calmly sleeping. I came towards her, gazing at her closed eyes. Because of this girl, my entire world had turned upside down. Even as my life suddenly became complicated, I didn't mind. If it meant I could have her by my side. I'd do anything. I caressed her face gently as a tear brushed against my finger.

My heart sank. "Why are you crying all alone dummy..." I whispered. "Don't bottle up all your feelings inside. I'm here." I gazed at Youngmin for the first time, not as a brother but as a rival.

............................................

Hayoung's point of view

Joori painfully held me in her death grip as she captured me in her hug. "Hayoung! I was so worried! Are you ok?!" She whined. I managed to speak regardless the lack of air. "I will be if you loosen your arms." She immediately let go. "Sorry! but... are you sure your fine?" I nodded continuously at the repetitive questions. I imagined her as one of the children in the orphanage. Full of energy and painfully strong. 

"Does anyone else know what happened?" I asked, worried. She shook her head, "Nobody knows a thing! It was so hard to keep my mouth shut but when I'm determined, I can do it!" her eyes burned with confidence. Kwangmin scoffed. I chuckled, glad everything was still the same.

Inside the dorm, I was greeted by whispers and pointed fingers. "Thats her..." I glared at Joori. "I thought you didn't say anything!" I gritted between closed teeth. "I didn't, I swear!" she begged. Kwangmin smirked, "Figures." She gave him a dirty look.

In-Tak ran through the mess of people, appearing before me, out of breath. "Hayoung!" I interrupted him before he could continue. "I'm perfectly fine." He cocked his head, "What are you talking about?" Confused, I scratched my head. "You weren't going to about the accident?" His eyes widened. "You were in an accident?" I shook my hands, " No! I-" Youngmin came to my rescue, changing the subject. "What were you about to say In-Tak?" His expression lid up. "Hayoung was chosen to be in the centennial!"

I couldn't understand. "What do you mean?" I asked, more confused then ever. "This morning the results of the performers that were selected for the centennial were put up on in the cafeteria."

"But I didn't audition!" I demanded. "Supposedly, it was Mr. Smitten behind it. Since he was one of the judges for the auditions, he counted the time you sung in his class as your audition." I couldn't believe it. That man had the nerve to do whatever he pleased. Anger bubbled in my blood.

Joori gasped, "That's incredible!" I turned towards her, "Whats so incredible?" She was smiling ear to ear. "Mr. Smitten may be nice but he's known as the ice king when it comes to the centennial tryouts. He's be known for never approving any of the student's auditions since he started working here ten years ago. But because of the majority rule, students were still able to perform but Mr. Smitten never came to the performances. If the rumors were true, then you're the only one in history he's accepted!" The twins nodded in agreement, "Last year when we auditioned, he gave us the "X" as well"

I bit my lip, annoyed. "What exactly are his intentions?" I muttered. "I bet he's playing a joke on me." My feet immediately headed towards the door, storming out of the room. The twins and Joori behind me, she asked. "What are you going to do?" She asked in excitement. "Im going to find out the truth even if I have to shake it out of him."

Running up the stairs, I rushed through the hallway. Finding my way to the vocals room, I swung it open. He was sitting behind his desk, startled. Standing up, he smiled. "Hayoung, just the person I wanted to see." "Who do you think you are?" I barked. Yougmin held my hand, holding me back. "Are the rumors true?" he asked calmly. Mr. Smitten nodded happily, "Yes they are." I selected her for the centennial." "How could you do something like that without even asking me first?" I yelled. He laughed, "I thought you'd be thrilled! Do you know how many people are willing to do anything for your spot?" He raised an eyebrow. "Being in the centennial means your going to be able to debut." Kwangmin interfered. "Sir, She's only been here a few days. How could you give her such a difficult task?" Mr. Smitten snickered. "She didn't tell you?" He looked at me. "Tell us what?" Kwangmin asked. "She is a prodigy." Mr. Smitten said simply.

"What gift?" Joori asked, thrilled. His gaze shifted towards me again. "Its not true, your mistaken." My voice was weak. He raised a finger at me, " Thats where you wrong." he began digging through his desk. Pulling out a music sheet, he handed it to me. I studied the blank paper except for the few separated notes and keys. "I want you to play a song with this." he pointed towards the piano. 

I stared at the paper, "How? There's barely anything on it." he grinned. "Make it up." "How could she? She hasn't taken a composer's class yet." Kwangmin interjected. "I know. If you will, Ms. Hayoung-shi." he tilted his head towards the piano. 

.................................................

Youngmin's point of view

She slowly sat on the black wooden stool and placed the bare paper in front of her. I didn't understand what Mr. Smitten wanted to prove. It was impossible to compose a song on the spot, especially if you've never learned how. I bit my lips, curiously waiting.

She took a breath and started to play. As her hands danced on the black and white surface, she sang. I couldn't believe it. As I carefully listened, I heard the notes on the paper accompanied by the new chords and lyrics. She was composing the music in her head. Not even the most elite professors could do what she was doing so easily. Creating a new song from just those few notes and adding lyrics to them, I couldn't believe it. Could she be truly musically gifted?

................................................

Kwangmin's point of view

I gazed at her as she closed her eyes, singing and smiling. Her hair hung down her shoulders as her fingers glided across the keyboard. She was was singing the thoughts in her head as her hands projected her feelings as music. I finally understood what Mr. Smitten meant. Even if she studied for a day or a year, it wouldn't have mattered...she had already knew everything by birth.

..............................................

Hayoung's point of view

The room was silent as I parted from the piano. Standing, I bit my lip, nervous. "What did I tell you?" He said, gazing at the twins. They nodded, their glittering eyes fixed on me. "W-what?" I asked. "What I gave you was the senior's final exam. It's a month test. They have to compose a song within that time and add lyrics in order to graduate. It took them a month when it only took you a few minutes. Do you understand now?" I began to comprehend the strangeness of the situation. I was able to do something people have been studying for four years trying to do in the matter of moments. "But I was just making up the notes, and singing what was in my mind! I wasn't trying to compose anything!" 

Mr. Smitten laughed, clapping his hands together. "Thats what I mean! Its your genius gift! Subconsciously, you created a beautiful piece within minutes. Imagine if you trained your talent and performed at the centennial!" Joori's eyes brightened, "It would lead to absolute debut and ultimate fame!" He turned towards her, "Exactly!" 

Fame? Was it that important? My entire life I have never dreamed of becoming famous. It didn't seem possible. I was just an ordinary girl that lived in an orphanage. I imagined my future graduating college, getting married and aging slowly until I would have my last breathe like any ordinary person. On no account did I imagine what it would be like to stand on a stage and have my face recognized by the entire world. What was that kind of life like? I gazed at the twins. Were they happy? Did they regret it?

"I...I have no intentions of becoming a celebrity or debuting." Mr. Smitten sat back on his black leather chair. "Why is that?" He cocked his head sideways, curious. " I'm not suited for that kind of world." Joori opened as if she was about to speak but Mr. Smitten interrupted. "Then what about finding your parents?" My eyes grew wide, shocked. "How do you know about that?" Ignoring me, he continued. "Don't you think living in that kind of "world", you'll be able to find them?" His gaze was kind but serious. "I..." I couldn't say anything. Was this why my unknown guardian sent me here? To gain stardom in order to search for the past I didn't remember...Could this be the way to unveil the answers I sought?

.......................................................