Barely Breathing

Our Love Story
Hayoung's point of view

As the final bell rung, I sighed in relief.  Even though there were minor set backs, I somehow managed to successfully make through my first day. Packing my belongings, I looked outside the window. Students were scattered throughout the white courtyard. It began to snow again. Wrapping the blue muffler around my neck, I stepped into the deserted hall. It was almost completely empty except for a few students. As my footsteps patted against the linoleum, it echoed against the walls. Reaching the staircase, Mrs. Park greeted me. "Hayoung-shi, how do you like it here?" I smiled, "Its very nice ma'am." She patted my shoulder, "Thats great to hear. Oh! I almost forgot. I was going to give you your registration forms when I got to see you again but someone already came and fill them for you." I titled my head, confused "Someone already did it?" She nodded, "I thought you knew." I shook my head. "Do you by any chance know who it was?" I asked desperately. Could it have been my unknown guardian? "I didn't recognized him. He was wearing sunglasses in the winter, which I found strange but he gave me a package with all the completed paperwork just a few minutes ago." He was here!

Not bothering to excuse myself, I raced down the stairs. I had to find him. I had to know who he was. Violently sliding the door open, I entered the office, seeking for the man wearing sunglasses. I couldn't find him anywhere. Frantically, I looked past the window and at the courtyard. The sky was getting darker by the minute. Squinting my eyes, at the very end of snowy parking lot, I saw him. He was too far to see clearly but I recognized his long figure. Running out of the office and into the courtyard, I felt the cold wind pressed against my body. 

"Please stop!!" I yelled towards him. Slipping, I fell on the ice, scraping my knees. "Wait!" I called out. As he got in the car, I stood up, ignoring the pain in my legs. His car swirled, speeding out of sight. The only thing that remained were the black skid marks on the frozen dirt floor.

Exhausted and in pain, tears began to plop down my cheeks and onto the snow, melting into white mush. I was so close and he was right there, the man that had all the answers I was looking for my entire life. "Who was I? Where were my parents? Why did he send me here? The more I felt the frustration, the more my heart ached.  My body felt numb against the snow. The wounds stung against the salt in the ice. I felt alone, scared. The world became blurry suddenly. My eyelids heavy, my mind empty, I dropped onto the ground, with the last images of the black skid marks on the floor. 

....................................................

Kwangmin's point of view

The courtyard was empty by the time I left the school. The sun was lowering as it got darker. Grabbing the snow, I held it in my hands. Rolling it into a ball, I tossed it aimlessly at the trees, playing with the blocks of ice. Tired, I ended my game and began heading for the dorms. In the corner of my mind, I wondered how I should thank Hayoung for earlier.

As I trotted down the slippery ice, I noticed a strange lump in the field. About to pass it as nothing I continued to walk when I recognized a familiar green back pack poking out of the snow. Coming closer, I pulled the fabric gently. It was latched onto something. Uncovering the hidden object, I brushed back the snow. 

Shocked, I stumbled back as I discovered a person's frozen hand. Quickly, I pulled the body out, devastated as I held onto Hayoung's colorless face. Panicking, I lifted her off the ground and into my arms.She was so cold, as if holding a marble slab. Her frozen lips against my neck, was barely breathing. Clumsily pulling out my phone, I managed to call Youngmin. "Pick up, pick up!" I cried out. 

.....................................................

Youngmin's point of view

Walking out of the bathroom, I was drying my hair when I heard my cellphone vibrate on the desk. Looking at the screen, I realized it was Kwangmin. 

"Hello?" I answered nonchalantly. Kwangmin's voice was high pitch and rushed. I couldn't make out what he was saying from the static. "What?" I yelled. 

"Call an ambulance! I found Hayoung buried in the snow. She's barely breathing!" I felt my heart stop. What? 

"Youngmin! Listen to me!" he screamed. " Quickly, call an ambulance. I'm almost in front of the dorms. Hurry up!" The line suddenly went dead. Reacting as fast as I could, I threw on a jacket while storming out of the room. Running down the stairs, I almost tripped as I quickly pressed the buttons on my phone. After ringing for what seemed forever, I was connected to a female operator. "Hello, what is your emergency?" I felt my heart pounding out of my chest as my palms became slippery from the sweat. "Please help! Someone is dying!".....