Discovery

Our Love Story

Hayoung's point of view

...What is this? Why is this here?

I stepped back, a flood of emotions churning inside of me. I trembled, unable to understand what was happening. Why was my name on the piano? I studied the words carefully, doubtful of my own eyes. Yoo-Jin came towards me, her hand gently brushing against my face. Her eyes were wet and in pain. "Do you really not remember?" I pulled her hand away, confused. "What game are you playing?" I demanded.

"Your too cruel...."Yoo-Jin smiled softly, her expression saddened. "How do you not recognize me? Your own....mother?" The blood rushed to my head, throbbing against my skull. My entire body went numb, cold and disoriented. "M-mother? What are saying?"My voice was quivering, barely whispering. "Hayoung..." I couldn't make out what she was saying. Everything was going dark. The sounds were becoming distant, barely audible. "Wha..." I felt my eyelids closing as I slipped into unconsciousness...

..............................................................................

Youngmin's point of view

I wiped the sweat from my face with a towel, looking at my reflection in the studio. The rest of the members were collapsed onto the floor, panting. "Youngmin, hand me that water bottle."  Kwangmin's flushed face was streaked with sweat. Finally practice ended once the sky started getting dark. Grabbing a drink from the vending machine, I scrolled down on my phone, looking for Hayoung's number. Calling her, I was surprised to hear the voicemail. 

Back in the room, I dried my hair roughly, sitting on top of the bed topless. Kwangmin closed the door, steam escaping through the cracks. "Hey Youngmin." Kwangmin's voice was muffled under his t-shirt. "What?" I asked absentmindedly. He sat on his bed, looking at me. "Did Hayoung say anything today?" I snapped up, curious. "What are you talking about?". He tilted his head, thinking about something. "I saw Hayoung get into a really flashy car today." I bit my lip, wondering where she was. "I think I recognized it..." He said, trying to remember. Suddenly his eyes widen. "Ah! At the Centennial, In-Tak was in charge of V.I.P valet and he asked me to help him. I remember Han Yoo-Jin's car was exactly the same model as the one she got in." I looked out the window, worried.

What was Hayoung's relationship with Han Yoo-Jin?...

.............................................................................

Hayoung's point of view

My eyes opened groggily, unsure of where i was. My vision cleared as I recognized a bedroom. I sat up, rustling the silk bed sheets. I looked out of the window, at the black sky, gasping. I must have fainted. I swiftly stood up, immediately dizzy. My head pounded thunderously as I leaned against a wall. I touched my forehead, my fingers brushing against something I couldn't recognize. Looking at the large mirror on the vanity, there was a large white bandage, spotted with dried blood. I winced at the after pain. 

The door suddenly opened as Han Yoo-Jin walked in with a tray in her hands. "Oh! You're awake." She smiled. relieved. I gulped, remembering what made me black out. I stared at the women in front of me in disbelief...

Han Yoo-Jin was my mother?...I couldn't believe it. It was a lie.

I clenched my fists as she approached the window, setting the tray of drinks on the desk. "Are you alright?" She asked, while stirring a sugar cube into a cup. "Y-yes, I'm fine." My voice was gruff. I cleared my throat uncomfortably. "Here." She handed me the coffee, the smell tempting me. I quietly drank it, appreciating the warmth on my lips. "You scared me, suddenly collapsing all of a sudden." She smiled, looking at me. "I guess fainting spells can be genetic." I bit my lip, anxious.

"Is it true?" I asked, my eyes averted. "Yes..." I felt a pang at my chest. Why was I in so much pain? I have finally found what I was looking for but...why did I wish I hadn't." "Why are you here now?" My voice was surprisingly cold. I glared at her, not able to hide my frustrations. This was the women that threw me away. "I came for you. To finally be a mother to my daughter." I scoffed, bewildered. "Be a mother?! You left me!" I yelled, my anger boiling. Her eyes were fierce, the same dark brown as mine. "I didn't have a choice. I did it to protect you." She walked towards the window, looking out at the trees. " I was twenty one then.... I didn't know anything, I was just a stupid girl in love." She gazed at me, her expression sorrowful.

"At first, we were happy. We got married in a small church, ignoring our parent's objections. It didn't matter to us, as long as we had each other...then you came into our lives, like a blessing. We moved to America, wanting to start a new life. We raised you in a small town, believing everything would be alright until..." She touched the glass of the window, a tear dropping on her hand."Our families hated each other. They never accepted us from the start. When I thought it was time to come back to Korea, to try to make amends, they wouldn't even let us through the gate. I thought I could handle it, that him and I could take on anything.

Her voice cracked as she covered , whimpering. "Then on your seventh birthday, you were in the backseat while your father was driving.  I was preparing at home for your party, when I received a call from the police. Someone had cut the breaks, causing an accident. Your father died in the hospital while you were in a coma for a month. During that time. I was ready to kill myself. I thought since you were their granddaughter, they would at least accept you...but they tried to kill you instead. I knew I had to leave you in order to protect you, so I took you away to a orphanage, leaving you at the doorstep. My heart ripped and shredded to pieces but..it was the only thing I could do."

My lungs were collapsing. My heart was tearing apart. My tears burned against my cheeks. I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want to know. Shivering and paralyzed, I sank to the floor, unable to move. Everything came crashing down as the truth began to reveal one by one. i screamed silently, my hands pressing against my throbbing head.

Why did I have to know?! Why did I hear the truth?! I didn't want it! 

........................................................

Everything was silent. We didn't say anything, I couldn't even be sure if I was breathing. Like a dream I couldn't wake up from, I was in a daze. I felt my soul slowly returning back into my body as my heart heavily began to pace itself. "What is the real reason you want me to come to America?" I asked, stiffly.

"For nine years, I had to abandon you. I promised myself, that I would come back when I could truly protect you. It took me nine dreadful years to surpass my family, to be able to stand on my two feet. Within that time, I was curious of how you were growing up, what kind of person you had become. I pretended to be a man, to not be detected, to be known as "your guardian." Secretly, I watched you from afar, making sure you were alright." She smiled gently, her eyes twinkling. "Then you fell in love ,didn't you?" I blushed, flustered.

"The reason why I want you to come with me, is because I want to make up for the lost time. I want to be your mother again."