I Feel Alive

Our Love Story
Hayoung's point of view

Scribbling in the notebook in front of me, I continued to question Youngmin's intentions. Wondering what he was thinking, I began to question my own self. Why does it matter? I was never a obsessive person and I wasn't going to allow it to happen now. Shaking my head, I tried to concentrate on the board but it didn't help that I already knew the book we were reading. Sighing to myself, I looked out the window. There was less snow and the sky was finally brighter. Looking at the clouds, I felt my eyelids grow heavy. I haven't been able to sleep, nervous for today but now, I felt my body catching up to my exhaustion.

.......................................

Kwangmin's point of view

I watched her shift her eyes to the side, glancing at him. Whenever she turned away, he would do the same. What did this mean? Who was he to her? I felt uneasy throughout class, more and more questions filling my mind. I have never seen Youngmin like this. Always I knew what he was thinking, what he was feeling but now, I could barely understand myself.

......................................

Youngmin's point of view

Staring at the pages of the book, I kept read the same lines again and again. Carefully, I turned my head slighty, wondering what she was doing. Her hand resting on her chin, her eyes were closed. I smiled. What a clumsy girl, how can she just fall asleep? Taking the opportunity, I looked around her. Her notebook was filled with scribbles. As she put her head on the table, her white eraser rolled beside my shoe. Picking it up, I attentively placed it besides her. A strand of hair rested on my fingertip as her light breath brushed against my hand. Retreating back, I felt my face flush.

..................................

Hayoung's point of view

As the bell rang to change classes, my head snapped up, surprised I fell asleep. Kwangmin had just stood up and was besides Youngmin. "Hayoung, next class is Vocal training. Lets go together." He offered. I nodded, regaining consciousness as I closed my notebook.

Vocal training was at the very end of the building. Inside was spacious and filled with all sorts of instruments. At the center was a grand piano and around it, were music sheet stands. My mouth slightly opened in awe, stunned to see such a beautiful piano. "This room is used for the orchestra members, so they all keep their instruments here." Kwangmin explained. Handing my schedule to Mr. Smitten, an American teacher, he signed it and assigned me next to Paek Eun-Sook, a shy but good-natured girl.

"Welcome back everyone!" His voice was very loud as he greeted us behind his desk. I was surprised of how well he spoke korean. After attendance, we began warming up and excercising our voices. I saw Eun-Sook eyes focused on the piano the entire time.

Whispering I asked, "Do you like the piano?" She was surprised at my question but eventually answered, "..I love it, but I don't know how to play it." Her expression was defeated. "Why don't you learn?" I asked sincerely. She stared at me with wide eyes." Do you know how the play the piano?" Suddenly, her voice became clear.

"A bit." I remembered the moments Mr. Soh would teach me as a child. Her eyes lit up, "Could you teach me?" She pleaded. "Teach?" I asked, surprised. She nodded instantly. "I don't know about teac-" Mr. Smitten cleared his throat, louder then necessary. "Excuse me Ms. Na?" I looked up him, his eyebrow raised. His arms were crossed against his chest, annoyed. "Am I disrupting your discussion?" I quickly shook my head, "Uh, No! You weren't, I mean we weren't!" I faltered. The class broke into giggles, displeasing him more. 

"She was talking about the piano to Eun-Sook." A girl behind me blurted. I turned around, shaking my hands to please mind her own business. " Oh?... You were now?" He smirked, suddenly interested.  "Well, would you like to share it with the class?" Embarrassed, I shook my head. "No that's alright." He dragged on the subject. "No, please show the class." he insisted. I glanced at the twins at the other side of the room, wishing they could help me.

"Ms. Na?' his voice was stern, frightning. " Yes?" I whimpered. "Come to the center...now."

............................................

Youngmin's point of view

She slowly stood up, facing down. I wanted to help her. She looked at me, afraid. Cletching my pencil, I glared at Mr. Smitten's triumphal smile. Kwangmin, besides me gulped nervously.

At the center of the room, everyone stared at her. I could see her face growing paler by the second. Mr. Smitten pushed the wooden cover upward and patted the white stool. "Sit here." Hayoung regretfully sat down, facing the keyboard. "Since this is a vocal class, I want you to accompany the instrument with your voice. You can sing anything, but count this as your first grade since you didn't have to do the assignment from winter break." I gritted my teeth in disbelief. That bastard.

.........................................

Hayoung's point of view

I felt cold sweat on my forehead as I sat down. As I was about to apologize, I remembered the letter from my unknown guardian. I was told that I must make a title for myself if I wanted to know my past, I had to become someone. If I begged for forgiveness now, I'll just be labeling myself as a coward. He was toying me, standing me in front of a crowd, wanting me to bow in front of him. Sudden courage seeped into my veins as I began to feel angry. The stage freight disappeared as I felt my nerves calming down. Carefully touching the surface of the piano, I closed my eyes as I took the first steps to becoming that "someone."

......................................

Kwangmin's point of view

"Hurry, just apologize.." I said in my mind. I couldn't bare to keep watching her cornered and scared like that. Youngmin bit his lip as I cletched my fist. Suddenly she took a breath, relaxing her stiff shoulders. Her hands laid against the keyboard as she began to sing...

" If our love was a fairytale, I would charge in and rescue you."

"On a yacht, baby, we would sail to an island where we'd say I do."

"You leave me breathless, you're everything good in my life"

"You leave me breathless, I still can't believe you're mine."

"You just walked out of one of my dreams."

"So beautiful, you're leaving me breathless..."

..........................................................

Kwangmin's point of view

Her hands danced over the keyboards as her lips sung. Every key, every note melted in the air. Her voice, so clear and pure, married the sound of the piano. She smiled as she continued singing, gentle and beaming. Just as the lyrics said, I was left breathless. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Youngmin completely in awe, as if in a trance...as if he was in infatuated.

.........................................................

Hayoung's point of view

As I pressed the last key, I felt the anxiety raise again. My fingers slowly let go of the keyboard as the room filled with applause. Surprised, I looked up at Mr. Smitten who once again,cleared his throat but out of dejection. "You may go to your seat now." I could hear the disappointment in his voice. "Do not disrupt the class again." Thankful, I smiled at the twins in triumph. Within those short few moments, I felt my hands twirling, becoming one as my mind cleared. It was just me and the piano, just my heart and the keys. I couldn't sense the fear or uneasiness as I sung. I felt alive again.