Chapter 9

Crossroads

“Yahhh Julia, why are you late?” Minji pinched my arm as soon as I entered the bookstore. I wiped off the excess droplets on my sweater and patted my hair. “The boss already asked for you! What would I answer? Both of us can be in trouble especially you!” she nagged on and on while I went to the back room where we usually have lunch to dry myself. She tailed me in, stomping her feet which disturbed some customers there. “See the time now? You should not carry on like this, I will die of boss’ nagging and I will nag at you instead!

 

“Sorry..I got caught in the rain.. I’m wet aren’t I?” I explained while drying myself with the towel there. I rubbed my hair dry to avoid catching a cold.

 

“Yeah yeah but where’s your umbrella? You can’t go out purposely not having an umbrella with you right?” she questioned sarcastically. “If this carry on, I might have to..”

 

“Okay okay I get it okay? I’ll explain to the boss and to make it up, I’ll treat you coffee later alright?” I calmed her down as I gripped her shoulders. She pinched my cheeks and grinned from ear to ear then walked off to carry on her duties.

 

I went out to the shelves arranging books after I have dried myself. My eyes scanned the titles of the books to spot any misplacement. I loved working here. Since young, I loved to read either by myself or to Himchan. Sometimes, he would laugh at how silly I impersonated characters in a book while sometimes, he would pat me to sleep while reading to me. Working here allowed me to be close to my hobby as well as meeting people from all walks of life sharing the same hobby as me. From books, I knew many things and I loved how I got carried away into its plot. At times, I wonder if life would transform just like in fictions.

 

I walked up to the counter where Minji was and I saw a bouquet of red daisies on the countertop. Minji was scanning some books and probably did not notice the daisies. “Minji-ah, who brought these flowers? Oh....your new boyfriend isn’t it?” I teased.

 

Minji turned and gave me the flat look. “I will never have one. I still admire Himchan okay?”

 

I giggled. I picked up the daisies to look at it closely when a figure jumped up from below the counter. “Hello!” he greeted in a jovial tone. I was taken aback as my eyes came into contact with the person and then I gave a huge smile.

 

“So it was you huh Daehyun?”

 

“Of course, who else can it be? Do you like it?” he asked inquisitively.

 

“Mmm.......not really. Red is too loud,” I joked. “Really?” he frowned which made me laughed. “I’m kidding, it’s nice...”

 

He went up to me and put his arms around me. “So does that mean I get a date with you today?”

 

“A date? You and me?” I chuckled trying to contain my laughter while covering my mouth.

 

“Why? Usually when a girl accepts flowers from a guy, they go on a date,” he argued.

 

“Yeah but these are not roses. But anyways, I don’t like roses either. So no date or such things....” I meekly replied.

 

Minji butted in saying, “Yah Julia you always reject him... why don’t you just go? It will be fun having him around. I pity him though..”

 

“Well if you do, go with him!” I suggested.

 

“Julia, pleaseeeeee.. let’s have uhmmm just dinner okay? Tonight after work? How’s that?” he begged as he followed me around the shop. I just cracked up with his antics to which I finally accepted to go on a dinner. Daehyun hugged me tight and told me he would be here later night to fetch me and then sped off faster than speed of sound.